Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Dominic White posted:

One game I'd love to see GoG adopt is Incubation. A very nice Space Hulk-ish turnbased tactical combat game. A lot of the missions played like puzzles, giving you very limited space to maneuver, limited equipment, and some very tricky alien formations to cut through.
Yeah, Incubation is great and installed next to Tomb Raider on my notebook as well. The writing and voice acting is really really REALLY horrible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FLX posted:

Yeah, Incubation is great and installed next to Tomb Raider on my notebook as well. The writing and voice acting is really really REALLY horrible though.

Seems to be the curse of almost all games translated from German. It seems nobody worth a drat wants to dub from that language.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Seems to be the curse of almost all games translated from German. It seems nobody worth a drat wants to dub from that language.
I was actually talking about the German version :haw:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ha. Guess it was just universally bad voicework. Still a great game, though, and one I'd like to see given a full GoG release.

Nafrodite
Jan 9, 2004

now is the winter of our discontent
I'm surprised Warlords 3 isn't on GOG. It was one of the better turn-based games I played back in the day.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/warlords-iii-reign-of-heroes

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

AG3 posted:

Incubation was awesome. Pretty challenging though, the first time I played it I dropped it in frustration. Restarted it a year or two later and had a much better time with it. I can't remember well, but I seem to remember that some of the weapon choices were unintuitive or just outright bad for some reason, and that some upgrade paths were hard to understand. Can't really remember though... Hmm, I should rummage through my game stash some day and see if I can't find the game again...

Right after I work through my enormous Steam and GoG list of games I've yet to play a single time...

I still have my incubation disk(s?), although I haven't played it through in quite a while. It's pretty good, certainly better than Odium, and in kind of a similar vein. Turn-based tactical combat with limited ammo and objectives that were usually 'get to X', or 'protect X'. There was a frequent pressure to move quickly, since the enemies tended to keep coming and ammunition would run out. It also had a nice overwatch option for rear-guard and cover hopping.

One neat touch was a heat system wherein weapons accumulated heat every time you fired them, and cooled at varying rates; this boosted the sense of getting overwhelmed, since even if your guys had plenty of ammo and solid choke points, enough enemies assaulting a position would cause their guns to shut down. The other thing I remember is a high energy laser weapon that had infinite ammo - if I remember right it made the game a bit too easy since you could take your time and let it cool off most of the time, and it removed a lot of the sense of urgency.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
While I was searching around for a place to buy Syndicate wars (I have no idea where my cds for the game are). I came across this: "Syndicate Wars Port". Has anyone here tried it yet?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nafrodite posted:

I'm surprised Warlords 3 isn't on GOG. It was one of the better turn-based games I played back in the day.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/warlords-iii-reign-of-heroes

Warlords was awesome, but thats not the right one.

The really good one is Warlords 3 Darklords Rising (http://www.mobygames.com/game/warlords-iii-darklords-rising), which added map editor, random map generator and a whole bunch of stuff I cant remember.

Is still one of the best turn based strategy games ever, with solid AI, huge array of factions (and the option of building your own without the need of modding the game, something Im yet to see in any other game of this kind), and great PBEM.

Is like a simplified HoMM with no tactical combat, and much, much, much, better AI and MP.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just got Outcast and holy poo poo - I totally forgot how epic that game was :monocle: How long did it take you guys to finish it? Back when it came out in 1999 it took me a week of heavy playing, but I suppose nowadays we're faster than this.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

People on Syndicate posted:

Atlantic Accelerator
The way I did it was to equip all agents with three energy shields, then spend the first few minutes cycling those shields so that they didn't run out while the enemy killed themselves through friendly fire.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Man, I'd never played Master of Magic before you guys mentioned it in this thread. I really wish the graphics weren't so awful (even for an old game, they're pretty gross) but it's absurdly fun. I've been wanting a Civ-like game for my netbook and it is addictive as gently caress.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Whalley posted:

Man, I'd never played Master of Magic before you guys mentioned it in this thread. I really wish the graphics weren't so awful (even for an old game, they're pretty gross) but it's absurdly fun. I've been wanting a Civ-like game for my netbook and it is addictive as gently caress.

Elemental: Lord of Magic is coming out from stardock eventually. I just hope they don't strip out the tactical combat and make it boring. Stardock has a bad history with combat.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 4, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you can't get enough of Master of Magic I can't recommend Age of Wonders any more. The original suffers from some late game repetitiveness but the sequel perfects the formula. Best part about it are the crazy world altering spells that gently caress with the environment. You always feel so powerful in the game summoning monsters and spreading maladies.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is the latest one, and I absolutely love it. But I don't know where you can find a copy nowadays. I think mine came from an Amazon seller, but they're going for $50 now.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I bought The Longest Journey and Sanitarium way back when they last went on sale, and I just started TLJ tonight. It's really gorgeousand the voice acting has been top notch so far. The only nagging thing about the game so far is that the characters don't move too quickly, so it can feel like a drag, especially right after having played some of those Sierra games where you can make your guy move at light speed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

I bought The Longest Journey and Sanitarium way back when they last went on sale, and I just started TLJ tonight. It's really gorgeousand the voice acting has been top notch so far. The only nagging thing about the game so far is that the characters don't move too quickly, so it can feel like a drag, especially right after having played some of those Sierra games where you can make your guy move at light speed.

I think you can double click on the exits to auto-warp but don't quote me on this because it's been a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smegma Enigma posted:

Any chance GOG will ever add Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? I have been longing to play that game again for years.

At this point emulating the PS1 version is probably your best bet. It's not the greatest port but easier than trying to get the PC version working on modern systems. :sigh:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Sakurazuka posted:

At this point emulating the PS1 version is probably your best bet. It's not the greatest port but easier than trying to get the PC version working on modern systems. :sigh:

I see this as a challenge! I'll have to dig up my CD though, and then be let down by how it runs. But until then I'll have high hopes. Optimism!

[realism]I know you're right already, but I have to try again, I have to..[/realism]

EDIT: :eng99:

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 4, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

Kikkoman posted:

I think you can double click on the exits to auto-warp but don't quote me on this because it's been a while.
As long as you have "Enable Time Skip" checked in the Settings, you can press Esc to skip a few seconds of time, e.g. when you're walking across a frame. I use it pretty extensively whenever I play.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is the latest one, and I absolutely love it. But I don't know where you can find a copy nowadays. I think mine came from an Amazon seller, but they're going for $50 now.

I think the very concept of abandonware is made for situations like this. When the only way to get the game is off a scalper trying to sell second-hand for about three times what I paid for it new, I'd much rather not put money in the hands of those jerks. In the end, the exact same amount of money is going to the developers.

Especially as the game still has an active modding community. At the very least, the game practically demands the fan-patch which manages to beat the worst of the Stupid out of it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Master of Orion 3 is now on GOG for $9.99.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

One game I'd love to see GoG adopt is Incubation. A very nice Space Hulk-ish turnbased tactical combat game. A lot of the missions played like puzzles, giving you very limited space to maneuver, limited equipment, and some very tricky alien formations to cut through.

I loved the poo poo out of that game, still have the original CDs lying around. I've not installed it in ages, I remember it was a royal headache to get it to even boot on XP :(

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Blodskur posted:

I've heard terrible things about this. I figured with the fan patches that seemingly fix a lot of its issues it might be worth $5.99, but $9.99? Anyone know if it's worth it?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

I loved the poo poo out of that game, still have the original CDs lying around. I've not installed it in ages, I remember it was a royal headache to get it to even boot on XP :(
I installed the latest patch and it works perfectly fine for me on XP on my Macbook.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Woebin posted:

I've heard terrible things about this. I figured with the fan patches that seemingly fix a lot of its issues it might be worth $5.99, but $9.99? Anyone know if it's worth it?

It really isn't. Check the Let's Play forum where it's being played to see if it's your style, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never played the third one and always assumed the hate it gets stems from the fact that it's "not like the original" in a Star Control III way but if I completely ignore the series it's based on (kind of like playing Invisible War) can I still enjoy it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you're talking about MOO, MOO2 and MOO3 have about the same similarities that MOO2 and Microsoft Excel have

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Reading around, it seems a lot of hate stems from the fact that it's too much macromanagement instead of giving you real control over your empire (that and the multitude of bugs they completely ignored, holy poo poo I can't believe there's stupid stuff like the game not even referencing the correct TEXT files). Someone likened it to "doing your taxes."

I... I like number crunching and doing my taxes :colbert: Really tempted to give this a try once I find the appropriate the unofficial patches and interface fixes.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Blodskur posted:

drat... only rated 2.5 stars by the gog community. That must really suck.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I have the CD version of Lords of the Realm (which I could never get properly working with voices even in a pentium 100 machine for some reason), is there any way to add the voice files to the GOG version?

If not, eh, it is still an awesome pack, and worth it just for Lords 2 (which I never had)

MOO2 is more addictive than I expected.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Holy crap, I didn't know there was a version of Outcast using the CryEngine. That's pretty drat cool and makes me want a remake!

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

al-azad posted:

Reading around, it seems a lot of hate stems from the fact that it's too much macromanagement instead of giving you real control over your empire (that and the multitude of bugs they completely ignored, holy poo poo I can't believe there's stupid stuff like the game not even referencing the correct TEXT files). Someone likened it to "doing your taxes."

I... I like number crunching and doing my taxes :colbert: Really tempted to give this a try once I find the appropriate the unofficial patches and interface fixes.

They try to circumvent MOO2 micromanagement by letting your colonies handle the small stuff while you macromanage. Unfortunately, every macromanagement decision you make will be undermined by the AI's godawful micro. Avoid, avoid, avoid, play MOO2 instead.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

al-azad posted:

I never played the third one and always assumed the hate it gets stems from the fact that it's "not like the original" in a Star Control III way but if I completely ignore the series it's based on (kind of like playing Invisible War) can I still enjoy it?

I won my first game of moo3 by hitting text turn for 500 turns and doing nothing else. It's the biggest load of poo poo ever.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I tried MOO3 back in the day, and it was extremely disappointing. Thereis a lot of information to work with, but there is no reason to make any decisions. The player is just there to click the "End Turn" button until the game ends.

I hear that it's not a bad game if you mod it heavily, but it is completely horrible right out of the box.

I recommend that you folks don't buy this game.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Hahaha, people are honestly considering MOO3. I swear, only in a GOG thread. Ya'll gonna buy Blood 2 while you're at it?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The Machine posted:

Hahaha, people are honestly considering MOO3. I swear, only in a GOG thread. Ya'll gonna buy Blood 2 while you're at it?
Actually,

Tecman posted:

I bought it anyways, simply because I lost my CD (without the expansion), and I've meant to replay it for nostalgia value (it was one of my first FPS games I actually owned, even then I knew something was wrong with it but I have fond memories anyways :3: ).

Time to rape those memories with some cold, harsh reality. :)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I literally lol'd when I saw that MOO3 announcement. Good Old Games my rear end.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Blodskur posted:

Might as well just rename the site to OG.com now :v:

Jesus, I remember the massive disappointment of buying this game the day it came out here, sitting down with it in massive anticipation and excitement, and... well, this game is so bad it's enough to send MOO fans in rabid denial of its existence, for good reason. It's an abomination, the epitome of bad sequels, the X-COM: Enforcer of the MOO series, only worse.

Some say it's decent if you mod it very, very much, but I've had enough disappointments from this game to give that a try. It'll never be the sequel to MOO2 that was supposed to improve on everything MOO2 did.

:emo: :emo: :emo:

The manual was ok though...

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Nothing was wrong with Master of Orion 3 on a conceptual level (yes, it was buggy and unbalanced to all hell). While you can debate whether it was a "good" game, it definitely wasn't bad, especially for its time. MoO3 was just different (or, more accurately, too different as it was still a 4x space game), and if you got past the bugs then it was rather enjoyable unless you were specifically looking to micro-manage your empire. Of course since the game was designed to allow you to micro-manage your empire, hating it for that aspect (which most people did at the time) is completely ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

nessin posted:

Nothing was wrong with Master of Orion 3 on a conceptual level (yes, it was buggy and unbalanced to all hell). While you can debate whether it was a "good" game, it definitely wasn't bad, especially for its time. MoO3 was just different (or, more accurately, too different as it was still a 4x space game), and if you got past the bugs then it was rather enjoyable unless you were specifically looking to micro-manage your empire. Of course since the game was designed to allow you to micro-manage your empire, hating it for that aspect (which most people did at the time) is completely ridiculous.

The game was designed from the ground up to be about macromanagement. It wasn't until mere weeks before release that they looked at everything and said "Hey! This is unplayable!" and let the player micromanage to their heart's content. As a result, the gameplay is like trying to drink lobster bisque with a fork - that ain't what the tools are for. It was horrible.