Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

my XR650R wouldn't burn any oil when i had it pinned WOT at 190KMH for about an hour on a boring straight highway in the middle of nowhere :D

Same with my DR650.

The only time my thumper has burnt oil was when the valve seals / rings were worn, on my last DRZ400.
Typically DRZs that are burning oil have a dirt background, and have ingested dirt at some point.

Goddamnit, that's a distinct possibility.

Well, maybe I'll find a DRZ head and ship it off to eddie at SSW, see what he rustles up. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Goddamnit, that's a distinct possibility.

Well, maybe I'll find a DRZ head and ship it off to eddie at SSW, see what he rustles up. :haw:

434 kit my good man. yours is already an E, isnt it?
Im considering doing the whole 470 upgrade to get the 58HP at the wheel figure. that will give me 3rd gear power wheelies with 16/40 gearing...
I can do the head work myself, and get the shop to do the stroker crank.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

434 kit my good man. yours is already an E, isnt it?
Im considering doing the whole 470 upgrade to get the 58HP at the wheel figure. that will give me 3rd gear power wheelies with 16/40 gearing...
I can do the head work myself, and get the shop to do the stroker crank.

Yeah, it's already in E spec. I know that to really capitalize you need to do the valves and cams, I'm thinking about halfassing it with the flatslide and the E spec engine with the bore kit. We'll see.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
*Engine explodes on warmup lap*

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
That's awesome

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I want to go to there :allears:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A KTM 525 EXC with dirt/sumo setup just showed up on craigslist locally and I'm really tempted to pick it up as a replacement for the DRZ and the KDX. Tell me I'm stupid and won't be happy with it so I don't go buy another bike.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NitroSpazzz posted:

A KTM 525 EXC with dirt/sumo setup just showed up on craigslist locally and I'm really tempted to pick it up as a replacement for the DRZ and the KDX. Tell me I'm stupid and won't be happy with it so I don't go buy another bike.

Nah, buy it.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
i keep reading the 525 can do everything the drz can and more... just add an oil cooler and away you go.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have yet another question about my recently purchased DRZ: Is 40-42mpg abnormally low? I'm doing the worst kinds of city driving possible (I average about 20-22mpg in my '08 accent) and the bike is stock except for the 3x3 mod.

Also I just ran over a nail with my brand new pilot powers :(

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I find my mpg on the DRZ isn't too flash either. Last time it was 47MPG mostly city.
thats an E model...
My X-challenge gets like 10MPG more and it has 10 more HP :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

What's the maintenance interval like on it? That'd be my only hang up, but you've got other bikes for when you need to get somewhere.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
THey're pretty short, if I remember correctly, but adding an oil cooler you can extend them a bit

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Man you jerks are really making me want to sell the BMW and get a 400SM and a cheap UJM to commute on.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

dreesemonkey posted:

Man you jerks are really making me want to sell the BMW and get a 400SM and a cheap UJM to commute on.

You won't regret it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

That's what I'm doing right now...I don't regret it. :v:

Except, of course, that "cheap UJM" means "Streetfightered ZX9R", but that's splitting hairs :D

Also it's super easy to back it in when the engine is off.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

How would a 2007 DR-z400SM do for a first bike? I passed the MSF on a DR200 and liked it, and was thinking about going and checking out a DRZ400SM at a dealership for $4200 with 1600 miles. KBB says $4130, Nada says $3171 low retail. I've never negotiated with a motorcycle dealer before so don't know which is closer to fair.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DRZ400SMs have been holding their value pretty well, if you make it out the door for under 4k you're doing ok.

A stock DRZ400SM is a good first bike, then you can swap in a flatslide, exhaust, and some other odds and ends and have a really fun second bike too :D

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 3, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

DRZ400SMs have been holding their value pretty well

Which sucks if you want to buy one :argh:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

That's what I'm doing right now...I don't regret it. :v:

Except, of course, that "cheap UJM" means "Streetfightered ZX9R", but that's splitting hairs :D

Also it's super easy to back it in when the engine is off.

Someone is totally biting my DRZ + streetfightered 9/10th-a-liter bike style. :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Which sucks if you want to buy one :argh:

Just do it the way that I did...buy a 2k offroad DRZ, and then spend 2k trying to get it as nice as the stock DRZ400SM.

pr0zac posted:

Someone is totally biting my DRZ + streetfightered 9/10th-a-liter bike style. :colbert:

Don't mess with success.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Just do it the way that I did...buy a 2k offroad DRZ, and then spend 2k trying to get it as nice as the stock DRZ400SM.

This man knows whats up.
I got my DRZ400E for like $1500 USD and 4 years later still running great. no oil loss either.
So with the E already having cams that are on par with Hot cams, and one up compression ratio, and a flatslide carb, thats alot less money to throw away if you bought an S model.

Buy some Warp 9 wheels, sell the dirt wheels if you have no interest in dirt.
Add the MRD SSW Exhaust system (if you dont mind loud)
and it continues on from there...
+4mm stroker crank
434cc big bore kit.

drat i cant wait to put those in, but i cant justify pulling the motor apart until its showing symptoms of wear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

This man knows whats up.
I got my DRZ400E for like $1500 USD and 4 years later still running great. no oil loss either.
So with the E already having cams that are on par with Hot cams, and one up compression ratio, and a flatslide carb, thats alot less money to throw away if you bought an S model.

Add the MRD SSW Exhaust system (if you dont mind loud)
and it continues on from there...
+4mm stroker crank
434cc big bore kit.

drat i cant wait to put those in, but i cant justify pulling the motor apart until its showing symptoms of wear.

Send me your motor and I'll send you mine. :haw:

But seriously, if you do it right, you should be able to get out from under a converted E/S model for cheaper. I think I'm about 3300$ into mine right now, including the second set of rims, the big brake kit, the flatslide, and the bigger tank. I'd have to look over my records.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jharkov posted:

This man knows whats up.

This is probably what I'll end up doing, as I miss my DRZ quite frequently. Some day, some day :allears:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Cross-post from the 2010 Race thread... http://www.supermotos1.com/TV/Default.aspx?VideoID=Y0lEPTEwMTE5ODMmYXBJRD0xMDAzNTAy

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gotta say for the DRZ being a low powered, heavy Supermoto it sure is a lot of fun. How many bikes can ride to work on Friday take to the track Monday...

Then go play in the dirt the next weekend...

all without changing anything? All I had to do was hook the lights back up and remove the tape. Sure it doesn't have that much power and it is heavy for a dirtbike but it sure is fun.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I went to look at the 400sm, and it had been dropped on the left side. The fairing has white smears and scratches and the corner of the peg is slightly bent. I should be able to get it for $3800. What else could have been damaged? Is this still a fair price for a scuffed bike?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Er. The handlebar may have been bent. Oh, and it could have punctured the case, but that would have been obvious.

Dropping a DRZ doesn't really hurt it other than cosmetically and barely even that. I guess the tank could get dented, maybe?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Got my upgraded brake caliper (Ducati style) and a new 320mm rotor (EBC) but when it is all bolted together the pads are horribly interfering with the rotor buttons. Measured the braking surface of the EBC at 30mm then the braking surface of my Ducati with the same style brake at 40mm. Hoping motostrano will know what rotor will work for me.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Got my upgraded brake caliper (Ducati style)

Do you mean this Brembo caliper? Ducati used this caliper before they went to the radial mount, but there's nothing Ducati specific about it.

http://www.motostrano.com/brsubrkitle2.html

You might need to get a Brembo rotor.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Yes that one with the 40mm mount. Though there is nothing Ducati about it, I've just seen on supermoto forums people call them Ducati style brembos.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Has there been any word on 2011/2010 DRZs yet? I've heard strange rumors lately, up to and including fuel injection as a possibility??? Not a reliable source but still that someone had gotten the idea is kinda strange.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 15, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Has there been any word on 2011/2010 DRZs yet? I've heard strange rumors lately, up to and including fuel injection as a possibility??? Not a reliable source but still that someone had gotten the idea is kinda strange.

Suzuki basically has to switch to FI to pass emissions with the next version.

If we're lucky, we'll get a version of the RMZ motor in SM form. Maybe Suzuki will get serious. We can only hope.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Spiffness posted:

Suzuki basically has to switch to FI to pass emissions with the next version.

If we're lucky, we'll get a version of the RMZ motor in SM form. Maybe Suzuki will get serious. We can only hope.

How would the RMZ in SM form stack up next to the current motor with a flatside carb?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
The FI rumour has been around for like 5 years, And doesn't the cali bike with the PAIR (or blackbox or whatever it is) already pass emissions?

How would the RMZ in SM form stack up next to the current motor with a flatside carb?

RMZ is much much faster. DRZ with BB, (LOUD) Pipe, Carb, Cams, Tune is about 40-45hp. RMZ is about 50hp stock.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 15, 2010

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Another thing i love about the DRZ is the absolute unlimited quantity of spare parts out there.
bent a peg this weekend? There will always be one listed on ebay for cheap.
Did my engine blow up somehow? Plenty of em' for about $900 on ebay.

I dont think ill buy any other bike. it does everything. Touring, single track, dual sport, commuting, racing...
Just lower your standards of comfort to that of a touring bicycle and she's actually very comfortable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The flatslide DRZ would still be slower than the RMZ, but there is no way they would put an RMZ motor on the street as-is, the maintenance intervals are way too low, and they just arent suited to stop and go and extended idling and things like that.

I'm betting they'll leave the "inconvenient race motor on the street" game to Husky.

If an RMZ motor did show up in street trim, its almost guaranteed that it would make less power than the dirtbike version, meaning that a modded DRZ motor probably wouldnt be far off from it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

What kind of range is everyone getting on their DRZ's? I usually try to fill up by 100 miles but have pushed it to 120 a couple times and 135 once.

Then today I ran out of gas and coasted into the gas station at 113 miles. Just glad I was close enough to a gas station and on top of a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I got 280 kilometers to empty on my DRZ400E from a 14L IMS tank.
Thats mostly city riding.

• Locked thread