Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

What's the famous bad review?

Clearly not as famous as I said it was. Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3594613/Someone-needs-to-have-a-word-with-Amis.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Facial Fracture posted:

Clearly not as famous as I said it was. Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3594613/Someone-needs-to-have-a-word-with-Amis.html

Thanks.

Probably is famous in literary circles in the UK, but Amis isn't really as well known over here. Anyway I've seen a number of both positive and negative reviews of Yellow Dog so far, so I don't think my experience will be particularly overshadowed by anything :)

edit: and that review is barely a review. most of it is just Fischer talking about himself and complaining about the UK publishing industry and I don't think he actually addressed why he didn't like the book in any real way.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2010

Linus Balto
Nov 23, 2009
I just started For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. I just got off a stint of reading a bunch of comics, so it's taking a bit of adjusting to a normal book and especially one written in this manner.

I'm finding that events are unfolding slowly (I'm only like 60 pages in, so things don't usually get going just yet). But has anyone read this? Is it a slow burn? I've heard it's supposed to be one of his better works.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

edit: and that review is barely a review. most of it is just Fischer talking about himself and complaining about the UK publishing industry and I don't think he actually addressed why he didn't like the book in any real way.

I guess it was sort of an early precursor to the "Amis has descended into self-parody" reviews that now come up with each new book, which is probably partly why the review is remembered. Even though I agree with the self-parody assessment, it's lazy criticism and that review is similarly lazy and pretty meandering, if also damaging.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Well that was definitely a bad review. I'm glad the author took the time to justify his firing of his old agent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah it seems more like he was just trying to get in a bunch of digs at Andrew Wiley and kind of made a half rear end attempt to disguise it as a review of Yellow Dog because that's what he was really supposed to be doing that week.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I imagine that it would be tough to review a book when you can't mention anything that is in it. Of course a lot of it does seem personally motivated and Fischer trying to gently caress over what the publishers were trying to do with an embargo. Not a great review by any means but I can understand his frustration.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gigawhite posted:

I imagine that it would be tough to review a book when you can't mention anything that is in it. Of course a lot of it does seem personally motivated and Fischer trying to gently caress over what the publishers were trying to do with an embargo. Not a great review by any means but I can understand his frustration.

I can certainly understand being frustrated by embargoes but there's no need to focus that frustration on this one agent as though the guy is somehow personally responsible for what is a longstanding industry-wide practice, especially when he's throwing in a number of other random digs at the guy.

I mean who knows maybe Wiley really is just an incredibly lovely agent, I'm not trying to defend the guy it just seemed like a really obnoxious way to write a review.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Green Crayons posted:

This is actually one of my favorite pieces of modern English literature. I'll be curious what you think about the whole thing once you're through it.
Just finished it about half an hour ago. I really enjoyed the book and it had some absolutely breathtaking writing in it. I never even thought about the gender of the narrator while reading the book, so it surprised me to see people hung up or curious about it as a "gimmick." If it never occurred to me, then it's not a gimmick in my reading.

Anyways. I need to reread the first 1/4 of the book to really get a feel for the whole scope. The book seemed to be in four parts -- pre-Louise, Louise, the obsession with anatomy and the odes written to Louise, and the parts after that with Gail. By far, I enjoyed the second part the most. I feel like I want to reread those 30-40 pages over and over. Very emotionally moving throughout the entire text, and also extremely funny at parts.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just started House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. It annoys me when authors (Asimov) try to span their plots over massive eras like hundreds of thousands of years but other than that it's good so far.

edit: This author really likes to add zeroes to things. In the first 6 chapters we have seen a one million room mansion, a person be 300,000 years late for an appointment, a star with 50,000,000,000 man-made objects around it and a spaceship that holds 1,000,000,000 passengers.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 30, 2010

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I just bought Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman. I don't always like her comedy but her interview on NPR about the book was very intriguing.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Today I got Rant, Snuff, and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bought the Chronicles of Narnia online. I'm going to do a completely secular reading of it. Aslan? Just a magic lion :smug:

caellyndria
Jul 21, 2009
I just started the Kushiel's Legacy series based on suggestion from a friend a while back... I'm kind of afraid there will be more fancy hooker sex than actual intrigue, but whatever. Hooker sex is cool, right?

I almost bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo too, but series that end up being mainstream bestsellers kind of make me wary. The cover and premise seemed cool though. I guess I'll wait for someone to tell me they aren't crap.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007

caellyndria posted:

I just started the Kushiel's Legacy series based on suggestion from a friend a while back... I'm kind of afraid there will be more fancy hooker sex than actual intrigue, but whatever. Hooker sex is cool, right?

I almost bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo too, but series that end up being mainstream bestsellers kind of make me wary. The cover and premise seemed cool though. I guess I'll wait for someone to tell me they aren't crap.

Love the Kushiel series, and while there's fancy hooker sex, it's amply padded in intrigue and embroilment. Hate the Stieg Larsson series. Nothing too wrong with the story, it's just that the writing is unbearably dry and drab and... Scandanavian.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I'm about 20% through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Do we have a dedicated thread for Stieg Larsson?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Bought the Chronicles of Narnia online. I'm going to do a completely secular reading of it. Aslan? Just a magic lion :smug:

That's kind of hard to do when you get to the last couple of books which involve Aslan creating Narnia straight out of Genesis.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Hedrigall posted:

I will never understand why people want to remove the religious overtones in the Chronicles of Narnia. For one C.S. Lewis stated multiple times that they were not meant to be focused on religion but looking at his background it's clear he wrote what he knew which was Christianity. Besides Christian themes and symbolism run wild in Western writing. I'm no Christian but as a person that has spent a lot of time studying various religions I don't get why people can't just appreciate the creativity and imagery of any religion. I just feel it's like reading a story written by a Buddhist and say "I'm not going to read this as Buddhist. That Bodhisattva? Just some magic ghost."

Fake edit:

Getting of my high horse. I hope you like the books anyway you choose to read them, I loved the series as a kid and have been meaning to reread them.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

caellyndria posted:

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is decent pulp, which isn't an insult because most pulpy popular fiction isn't even decent. The writing isn't dull or drab or somehow "Scandinavian" in a bad way (what?). It's a quick read and it deviates enough--though not hugely--from "standard" crime fiction stock characters and style that it's sort of interesting while you're reading it. Some reviews praised the lead girl as some sort of anarchic feminist-y emblem but the author spends a lot of time eagerly sexualizing an emotionally damaged young woman with the body of a child and making her standoffish largely as a conceit toward making her desire to become unguarded with the middle-aged journalist man more "meaningful." A lot of rape and abuse stuff written by a guy who gets muddled up between wanting to construct a female-empowerment figure and undermining that desire by illustrating his own prurient interests.

However. You read books that look like this

so I'm not sure how your trash-fiction parameters would preclude you from reading a generally well-received and popular novel???

caellyndria
Jul 21, 2009

Facial Fracture posted:

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is decent pulp, which isn't an insult because most pulpy popular fiction isn't even decent. The writing isn't dull or drab or somehow "Scandinavian" in a bad way (what?). It's a quick read and it deviates enough--though not hugely--from "standard" crime fiction stock characters and style that it's sort of interesting while you're reading it. Some reviews praised the lead girl as some sort of anarchic feminist-y emblem but the author spends a lot of time eagerly sexualizing an emotionally damaged young woman with the body of a child and making her standoffish largely as a conceit toward making her desire to become unguarded with the middle-aged journalist man more "meaningful." A lot of rape and abuse stuff written by a guy who gets muddled up between wanting to construct a female-empowerment figure and undermining that desire by illustrating his own prurient interests.

However. You read books that look like this: KINKY SLUT PICTURE

so I'm not sure how your trash-fiction parameters would preclude you from reading a generally well-received and popular novel???

Hahaha, to be fair, I'm only on the first book of Kushiel's Legacy which has a mildly classier cover! (not much) But thanks and good to know! I was more worried about the writing style because a lot of popular crime stuff can be urgh, IMO, well-received or no.

Anyway, I'm also starting Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman because I like to read two things at once. It's about the only book of his I haven't read, yet, I think. Or close to.

caellyndria fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 2, 2010

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
I'm just now starting an anthology of 18th-century and Romantic literary periodical essays. It starts with Steele and Addison, and ends with Hazlitt and De Quincey. Lots of fun jokes about 20-something aristocrats and whores. I'm also starting Gulliver's Travels because it's sad I've never read it even though I know so much of it. Just finishing up Lewis's The Monk, which is amazing and terrifying in some spots, and you should definitely read it even though the first 40 pages are a bit slow (content- and syntax-wise).

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Starting out on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. Slow start. I like his style of writing, and love some of his other books but am 100 pages in and wondering when it'll start getting interesting. So far it's meh.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

vegaji posted:

Just finished it about half an hour ago. I really enjoyed the book and it had some absolutely breathtaking writing in it. I never even thought about the gender of the narrator while reading the book, so it surprised me to see people hung up or curious about it as a "gimmick." If it never occurred to me, then it's not a gimmick in my reading.

Anyways. I need to reread the first 1/4 of the book to really get a feel for the whole scope. The book seemed to be in four parts -- pre-Louise, Louise, the obsession with anatomy and the odes written to Louise, and the parts after that with Gail. By far, I enjoyed the second part the most. I feel like I want to reread those 30-40 pages over and over. Very emotionally moving throughout the entire text, and also extremely funny at parts.
Yeah, when I went through the book the first time I was only made aware of the lack of a gender after the fact and someone had to point it out to me. I don't really think it affects how one reads the book mainly because I doubt many people catch it while in their actual read through. It is my own opinion that it is more of a device used to attempt to embellish conversation about the book in terms of critical gender theory. I don't know how successful it really is in doing so, as there are only a few things I would imagine one could say about it and I don't really see those points being too terribly involving.

But, yes: I would have to agree with you regarding the best part of the book, but the book definitely never failed to deliver at any point. Really glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed it.

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

My most recent purchase was yesterday when I received, from Amazon, China Miéville's "Kraken". I started reading it yesterday too and it's pretty awesome so far.

UhOh Dream Unicorn!
Feb 18, 2010
Brothers Karamazov
Master and the Margarita
War and Peace
Infinite Jest

thru Amazon, super saving shipping.

I'm just finishing high school, 4 years of no extracurricular fiction reading whatsoever. Heh.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I'm about 50 pages into Balzac's Cousin Bette and it's sort of like if a class-conscious, domestically-focused author such as Dickens were more interesting, more cynical, and more French. I can see why Henry James had a thing for Balzac but I'm really enjoying this book whereas I don't much like James who was prissy and sometimes dull.

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Just finishing up Lewis's The Monk, which is amazing and terrifying in some spots, and you should definitely read it even though the first 40 pages are a bit slow (content- and syntax-wise).

The Monk is really good and interesting. I remember a story about a traveler and bandits and a bed with blood-stained sheets being pretty creepy. It's been years though and I should read it again some day.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just finished Revelation Space and Chasm City in about 4 days and I'm about to start on Redemption Ark. This series is much better than I thought it would be and I can't believe I hadn't heard about them until the past year. Are the rest of the books as good as the first 2? Which one comes in second to Chasm City? I keep hearing that it's the best one in the series.

Skellen posted:

Starting out on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. Slow start. I like his style of writing, and love some of his other books but am 100 pages in and wondering when it'll start getting interesting. So far it's meh.

I'd say stick with it, it's an awesome series. Are you any good at skimming? If I wasn't a good skimmer there's no way I would have ever gotten through the first book. Especially with his 2 page descriptions of the streets of London. I'd say at least read up to The King of the Vagabonds and see if you want to keep reading it. Jack Shaftoes parts are always awesome. Daniel Waterhouse's story will eventually get pretty interesting especially towards the middle and end.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Death By Chocolate posted:

My most recent purchase was yesterday when I received, from Amazon, China Miéville's "Kraken". I started reading it yesterday too and it's pretty awesome so far.

Oh my god I am so jealous. I preordered it from Book Depository, they told me a week ago they shipped it but I haven't received it yet.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007

Facial Fracture posted:

Just stating my preference. Obviously plenty of people have found something to enjoy in Stieg Larsson's books; I just couldn't get into it. My tastes in murder mysteries run more toward Tana French (In the Woods, The Likeness). And yes, it's terrible cover art :( The Book Smugglers just did a survey on cover art affecting readers' perceptions, and the Kushiel series were mentioned more than once.

Anyway, I just got Ann Patchet's Bel Canto and I can't wait to finish up what I'm reading right now to get started on it!

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Not terribly interested after 150 pages or so.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I'm halfway through Margaret George's interminable Helen of Troy; after that I'll begin going through the A Wrinkle In Time boxed set I got as a birthday gift :love:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I also just got Bel Canto, as well as Charles Chesnutt's "The Marrow of Tradition" and a book of Graham Greene short stories. Good used book store run.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Today I picked up The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

AngryApple
May 4, 2010
I just started The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Quite weird and it is eerily similar to Stephen King's The Long Walk and Battle Royale Koushun Takami...

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Just picked up the kindle version of:

Cousin Bette by Honore de Balzac
and
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I think I'm going to start Cousin Bette after I finish The Iliad.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

and

And I'll eventually get to Vol. 3 too. I've got a lot of Marias to read.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skellen posted:

As Mustang said, stick with it at least until the Jack Shaftoe parts. Daniel Waterhouse's story makes much more sense and is much more enjoyable once you've finished Quicksilver, which makes it a very odd choice to put at the start of the series.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

and

And I'll eventually get to Vol. 3 too. I've got a lot of Marias to read.

These look really good!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Just finished Howard Sounes Dylan biography (fuckin' fantastic, by the way) and I've started on Gibson's Neuromancer. I'm going to dive into Stephenson's The Diamond Age right after, before hitting Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Getting my Sciffy fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
I'm about 100 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire and I'm already sick of the phrase "sex mafia". I enjoyed the first one and I expect I'll enjoy this one, but the author really does go on about irrelevant details sometimes. Hooray, a list of all the things the protagonist purchased to furnish her new apartment, the brand of dining room table she chose will certainly be important later in the book.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 4, 2010

• Locked thread