Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Narwhale posted:

Considering the age, I'd assume the foam surrounds have deteriorated. If you can remove the grills you should be able to see whether this is the case. It's a pretty simple fix that you should be able to do yourself.

They were restored a few years before I got them by a JBL certified somebody, I'm going to guess that was around 2000 maybe and they had new surrounds put on then. My (uneducated) guesse is that it's either the sub speaker its self or the cross over, is there any easy way to determine this? Its not the amp because I can switch the L R channel wires and it still happens on the same speaker.

To be entire honest I havn't had the grills off in maybe a year so I will check the surround tonight. But it was doing this 3 years ago, it's just really hard to notice when listening to music, especially modern music with lovely, already, bass or bass hits. It needs to be a sustained low bass,I have noticed it more becuase I have the speakers hooked up to my DVD player now, also I think it has gotten worse in the past month.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

aricoarena posted:

They were restored a few years before I got them by a JBL certified somebody, I'm going to guess that was around 2000 maybe and they had new surrounds put on then. My (uneducated) guesse is that it's either the sub speaker its self or the cross over, is there any easy way to determine this? Its not the amp because I can switch the L R channel wires and it still happens on the same speaker.

To be entire honest I havn't had the grills off in maybe a year so I will check the surround tonight. But it was doing this 3 years ago, it's just really hard to notice when listening to music, especially modern music with lovely, already, bass or bass hits. It needs to be a sustained low bass,I have noticed it more becuase I have the speakers hooked up to my DVD player now, also I think it has gotten worse in the past month.

It could also be the surround coming unglued. Honestly I'm not an expert, but that was the first thing to come to mind and the easiest to verify. I'm not sure how you would test whether the crossover or woofer is the problem, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Sadly the surrounds are...sound. Time to dick around with the Sansui Z-5000, and see if its the receiver. I really want to get a sansui linear tracking turntable to match it, but I've never heard anyone praise Linear tracking over conventional. Also then everything would be super 80's looking besides the speakers.

EDIT: I switched the Speakers to the B set of outputs and it still sounded lovely. Then I played with a Knob on the receiver that, well I'm sure what it does exactly. I know you use it to set the time and the radio presets, but it accidentally turned the receiver off and when it came back on no more lovely buzzing. So hurray for bizarre coincidences and problems that magically solve them selves.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 28, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
What ever magically fixed the speaker last time has stopped working, maybe the people over in the build your own speaker thread will have an idea.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Help me fix my JVC ED-1240 8-Track deck.

The deck performs flawlessly on playback, but when I try to record there is just silence. When in record mode, the VUs correctly demonstrate a signal is coming through to the unit. I'm thinking it's not a bias issue as all of the previous signal is wiped and replaced with silence. It occurs on both channels with makes a loose wire unlikely. As with any 8 track machine, rec/pb is the same head. Hope any tapeheads can help me out.

Most of my experience is with open reel and I'm lost as to why this is happening.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Here's a video of the Technics SL-10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWceNAFvL9Y

I'll get some pics of the record cleaner next time I do a batch.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
So I am using a pioneer sx 838 receiver with a Technics SL 1600 turntable. Everything sounded fine for a while. But now the music fades in and out, sounds tinny, gets real quiet and it seems to get remedied by a quick tape to the front of the receiver. Right now the music sounds fine but sometimes it gets out of hand. This set up sounded fantastic for a good two months and now this. Any ideas?

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Could quite possibly be a dirty control of some sort. My Yamaha CA-810 has a pretty dirty bass level pot and sometimes the music will fade/crackle in one speaker. Usually turning it a bit solves the issue, but I can imagine smacking the front of the amp could do the same.

Try pulling off the controls and spraying some Deoxit down the shafts and into the switches. Turn the knobs through their full range while doing so.

Of course, your problem could also be something more annoying like a cold solder joint or bad capacitor. I've had these same symptoms in a few receivers though, and 100% of the time it's dirty controls.

Edit: here's my attempt at an artsy photo of my Yamaha. Classy piece of gear. You can see my Kenwood KT-5500 tuner popping in on the right.

Doctor Londom fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 3, 2010

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
Stole a full turntable/amp/speaker set from my girlfriend's dad today, saved me a good investment as now I can upgrade it slowly bit by bit. Have no idea how to gauge if it's any good, it sounds pretty loving sexy though. I really do like the sound of vinyl and I can't explain why, it just feels nicer, maybe it's psychosematic mind.

Whatever, either way anyone got any idea where would be the best place to start upgrading such a piece of kit. I've been gifted with the option of now not having to go full whack and buy everything all at once, but now face the dilemma of where to specifically start.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Chumpion posted:

Stole a full turntable/amp/speaker set from my girlfriend's dad today, saved me a good investment as now I can upgrade it slowly bit by bit. Have no idea how to gauge if it's any good, it sounds pretty loving sexy though. I really do like the sound of vinyl and I can't explain why, it just feels nicer, maybe it's psychosematic mind.

Whatever, either way anyone got any idea where would be the best place to start upgrading such a piece of kit. I've been gifted with the option of now not having to go full whack and buy everything all at once, but now face the dilemma of where to specifically start.

Giving us no information on what you got will give us no idea on what to suggest for upgrades.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

HKR posted:

Giving us no information on what you got will give us no idea on what to suggest for upgrades.

Haha, yeah I was just thinking about this and decided to come back to see if I could quickly clean it up before someone called me out on it. Guess not.

Technics SU-X102 amplifier, technics SL-J110R turntable. Speakers are just unlabelled generic ones. Only thing I can find for any of these specs are them being sold on ebay etc, so at least I know I've not ripped off my girlfriends dad by stealing top of the range models from his attic, paid him in beer.

electronicmaji
Feb 23, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I really need a place to put my turntable, it's currently sitting under my printer. I was thinking of doing a wall shelf and putting it on a shelf.

The only problem is that everything I find is either not deep enought or like this;
http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Tria-Shelf-Furniture-Black/dp/B001DMJ49C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1270426174&sr=1-1

I don't want glass, too easy to break and it looks ugly really. I just want some nice wood, painted preferably to go with my current motife damnit.

Does anyone else have their turntabl on a shelf?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Chumpion posted:

Haha, yeah I was just thinking about this and decided to come back to see if I could quickly clean it up before someone called me out on it. Guess not.

Technics SU-X102 amplifier, technics SL-J110R turntable. Speakers are just unlabelled generic ones. Only thing I can find for any of these specs are them being sold on ebay etc, so at least I know I've not ripped off my girlfriends dad by stealing top of the range models from his attic, paid him in beer.

I can't find your turntable online, but generally my advice is to start with the cartridge or stylus, particularly if it came with the factory-installed crap. Then speakers, then I guess turntable if it's a noisy one. Amp comes last.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2010

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
Do any retail stores carry Deoxit? And Can the controls just pop off?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

plateau need ROIDS! posted:

Do any retail stores carry Deoxit? And Can the controls just pop off?

Radio Shack has two bottles of it for $15. They're small bottles though.

My buttons on my craig stereo popped right off easily. Not sure how your's will be though.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

Radio Shack has two bottles of it for $15. They're small bottles though.

My buttons on my craig stereo popped right off easily. Not sure how your's will be though.

I just tested and they come off fine. It felt sticky under there. Do I just spray down the whole metal thing and behind it?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I got a marantz 2230 and a sherwood linear turntable for free, neither working. Marantz blows new fuses I put in it, got a quote for ~200 from one guy and ~400 with shipping to some guy on audiokarma who wants to replace EVERY part. I don't want to spend basically any money on it but I would like it to work.. is there an idiots guide to electronics repair? I was told by one guy its the caps and by another the power supply if its blowing the 2.5a quick fuse.

The sherwood I'm torn, I'd like a linear turntable for novelty, but if I have any money to spend its going towards the marantz. It spins but the control buttons dont work.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I just tested and they come off fine. It felt sticky under there. Do I just spray down the whole metal thing and behind it?

What I did for a quick fix was to spray into the knob itself, then put the knob back on and twist it back and forth through the full range. That really cuts down any static that you have in it. My stereo sounds pretty much new again.

I also sprayed down the metal knob itself, like you said. Of course, it's better to take the whole thing apart before cleaning it, but for a quick fix, this works really well.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 6, 2010

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

On Unicornback posted:

Speaking of speakers that can forgo a sub, are there any floor standers in the $500 or less range that put out real bass?

I loving hate any music setup I've heard as 2.1. I know with advanced bass management and yada yada it can probably sound seamless, but with a standard stereo or surround receiver the sub sound separated and gross to me.

Edit: Right now I'm running KEF iQ3s powered by a Yamaha RX-497 receiver. Low end is obviously lacking due to the iQ3s being bookshelfs.

I picked up a set of Polk monitor 70's off their eBay store for 350. I listen to all my music in 2.0 and they sound spectacular and have plenty of bass if you have to amp to power these.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
Wow this deoxit stuff is pretty great. I gave my receiver a cleaning with it and it already sounds so much better. Left speaker is still much quieter but the distortion isn't there anymore. I think I need to give it another go now.

Question, the deoxit came with a bottle of doxit gold. It says to use it for prevention but is it worth it? Should I apply it?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Wow this deoxit stuff is pretty great. I gave my receiver a cleaning with it and it already sounds so much better. Left speaker is still much quieter but the distortion isn't there anymore. I think I need to give it another go now.

Question, the deoxit came with a bottle of doxit gold. It says to use it for prevention but is it worth it? Should I apply it?

I cleaned with the original deoxit and then coated with the deoxit gold. Figured I wasn't going to use it with anything else, so I gave it a try. Seems alright.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.
Got a Pioneer sx-525 receiver on ebay a few days ago and the left speaker channel wasn't working. It only started up after a couple seconds and was really crackly and low volume, so I thought I just had to clean it up a bit. Well cleaning it did nothing, but I switched the left and right fuses and it turns out the left channel fuse was just broken. Just a heads up for anyone who might get this problem in the future.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I'm experiencing a weird static / hiss issue with my turntable. When I flip the channel on my amp to the one hooked up to my turntable, if the volume is up high enough (not cranked, just to normal listening levels) i hear fairly loud static / hissing. The turntable does not have to be on or spinning. You can't really hear it when the music is playing unless its a quiet spot.

The other devices hooked up to my amp do not have this problem, so the problem has to be coming from the turntable or preamp. I double checked the cables, they are all securely fastened and don't have holes in them or anything.

Any ideas? I don't have an extra pre-amp or stylus to try.

Take it Sleazy
Sep 7, 2004

i thought you weren't allowed to make threads
So I have this Sony STR-6050. I bought it a few years ago from a guy down in San Diego who had restored it to working condition. It worked perfectly for a few years, but one day it just stopped working. I don't know why. It could be something as simple as a blow fuse.

Eventually I bought another amp, a really nice old Nikko NR-719. However I still have this nonworking Sony, but now I'm moving and I won't have a place to store it. It's a really beautiful amp. So my question is, does anyone who lives in the SF Bay Area want to take it off my hands for free? All you need to do is come and get it, I live right next to a bart station in San Francisco. I just don't want to throw something this nice away.

So seriously, who wants this thing? It's free if you pick it up. I don't have a car or anything so I can't really lug it around, but if you can come get it, it's yours.

edit: respond to this craigslist post and mention SA and we can work something out

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/1687504162.html

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Anyone have any idea what might be causing speed problems with a Technics 1200 turntable? When the pitch slider is at zero, with the light on, every minute or so you can see the strobe light dots rapidly moving back and forth for maybe 2-3 seconds. It doesn't happen at all if the slider is just slightly off zero. You can also hear the speed change in the audio. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas what I can do to fix it?

TouchToneDialing fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 17, 2010

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Doctor Londom posted:

My Yamaha CA-810 has a pretty dirty bass level pot and sometimes the music will fade/crackle in one speaker.
Your CA-810 looks nice! I've got the 410-II and I love it. I was having issues with the sound not too long ago, but one of the speakers ended up cutting out entirely. $100 bucks later, it's good as new again.

electronicmaji
Feb 23, 2010

by Fistgrrl
There was a realy famou book on turntable maintenance that was published a while back. I know several major sites were selling it through their stores, does anyone remember the name?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
I just posted a few old pics on Audiokarma of some of my CD players... Figure they may as well get posted here for your amusement! :D

Top to bottom:
Dual CD-120
Luxman D-404
Yamaha CD-1050
Akai CD-D1
Technics SL-PJ1

That's 5 out of 14.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 28, 2010

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

metaxus posted:

I just posted a few old pics on Audiokarma of some of my CD players... Figure they may as well get posted here for your amusement! :D

Top to bottom:
Dual CD-120
Luxman D-404
Yamaha CD-1050
Akai CD-D1
Technics SL-PJ1

That's 5 out of 14.

I like how the Dual is unintentionally confusing by saying "Laser Disc" on it, and the fact that it and the Akai have the disc standing vertically.

Swede Bonnet
Jan 16, 2004

Warning: Contents may explode when under pressure.
I've been interested in vinyl for a while, so my Dad gave me his old Direct Drive Technics SL-2000.

It seems to be in very good shape except for one thing- The stylus is broken.

It has an ADC cartridge (I'm not sure where the cartridge model number is or where on the cartridge that is written)- my father suggests just buying a new cartridge. I'm very new to this- can I buy just about any cartridge and stick it on the head? (it looks like a 'half inch mount' but I'm not 100% sure even after reading the model) ? do I have to buy a particular kind of cartridge? are there any recommendations of places in Canada to buy cartridges from?

What is the consensus on the SL 2000? I might upgrade, but this particular turntable has a lot of nostalgia value to it and I'm quite fond of the design. Plus, it was free.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BrownBomber posted:

It has an ADC cartridge (I'm not sure where the cartridge model number is or where on the cartridge that is written)- my father suggests just buying a new cartridge. I'm very new to this- can I buy just about any cartridge and stick it on the head? (it looks like a 'half inch mount' but I'm not 100% sure even after reading the model) ? do I have to buy a particular kind of cartridge? are there any recommendations of places in Canada to buy cartridges from?

Check out this page which even has a service manual for that player:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-2000.shtml

I think any cartridge will work fine, just make sure it's possible to mount it on the tonearm/headshell.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Nimrod posted:

I had that CD player until some oval office stole it along with my amp and speakers :(

infinit-e
Oct 11, 2005
So I just bought a Audio-Technica AT-LP60 from here: http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/1/2493/82941.html . I'm getting crazy pitch problems. I would guess it was a stretched out belt, but its a brand new turntable. Is my best to return it? Or am I missing something simple in my newbishness?

Edit:

Yup, I'm an idiot, had the belt hooked up wrong. Hooray, turntable sounds great!

infinit-e fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 4, 2010

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I bought a cheap Stanton turntable off ebay as an entry level turntable. It's only got RCA output, but I don't think it's loud enough.

I know you can get RCA->RCA amplifiers specifically for turntables. What's the absolute cheapest one I can get away with. I mean, like $20ish bucks ideally. Maybe even this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4=263602_263622 ?

edit: how about this? http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP-999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273273827&sr=1-2 it's 20 bux shipped with Amazon prime.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 8, 2010

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Either of those will work if you're looking for just an entry level, basic preamp. You can spend a whole hell of a lot more, but if you just want to make it regular volume levels, any of those will do the trick.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Soopafly posted:

Either of those will work if you're looking for just an entry level, basic preamp. You can spend a whole hell of a lot more, but if you just want to make it regular volume levels, any of those will do the trick.

Great. I ordered the Pyle since it was in the OP. Will let you know soon how it works out.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I bought some AV123 bookshelf speakers based on recommendations all over the forums. They are very nice in the upper range, but the bass is extremely lacking for my taste. Am I simply expecting too much of bookshelf speakers? Would a set of powered bookshelf speakers have more low-end kick?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Comatoast posted:

I bought some AV123 bookshelf speakers based on recommendations all over the forums. They are very nice in the upper range, but the bass is extremely lacking for my taste. Am I simply expecting too much of bookshelf speakers? Would a set of powered bookshelf speakers have more low-end kick?

I have a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers and the bass isn't enough to shake a room, but I'm quite impressed with it(I've had some bass-y floor standing speakers too, so I have a decent frame of reference).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Comatoast posted:

Powered speakers of a certain design will sound the same as an externally powered speaker of the same design. The only difference is that the amplifier is placed inside the speaker cabinet in one case and outside it in the other case.

The bass output from your speakers is rarely a function of how they are powered, but rather of how the speaker is designed. I guess that lacking bass due to amplifier concerns might happen if the amp is grossly underpowered, which is unlikely with bookshelf speakers, but then again you didn't tell us what amplifier you're using (or even which model speaker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

then again you didn't tell us what amplifier you're using (or even which model speaker).

The speakers are from AV123, model # ELT525M. link
The receiver is some old thing my roomate has in the living room. A Pioneer, model # VSX-D507S. link