Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

kylej posted:

Thanks! You mean performance wise? Not enough for a scrub rider like me to feel. I will never ever go back to carbs just because of how nice it is to not worry about warming the motor up before moving. I keep scaring myself whenever I let off the throttle while the bike is cool. On my little Ninja I had to get the revs up to prevent the motor from stalling. Now I start and go.

In a way it feels easier to ride than the Ninja. The extra weight makes holding a line in a corner a pleasure. Only thing I really have to get used to is staying gentle on throttle inputs. I have a heavy hand after flogging the 250 for many miles. My current sloppy shifting brings me back to the days of learning to drive a stick shift.
How's the engine braking? My SV (carbed) had one metric shitton of engine braking, and if I didn't pay attention, I would be balls-on-tank very quickly.

Yeah, I love EFI for that reason. No more revving up because of the choke, just start it up, give it 15-30 seconds, and off you go. My Buell could be a little bit temperamental when it was real cold, but my Triumph seems to not mind.

Regarding the slopping shifting... that's.. tough for me too. I have a very hard time shifting smoothly from 1st-2nd in my Triumph, because it revs so quickly (and the revs drop so quickly) so it's easy to look like a dang newb. My Triumph is still a new bike though, probably less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm still learning the quirks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Engine braking on the SV is sharp and you certainly learn to plan for it, but it's never violent. I've ridden a few big twins now and the SV, while it still has that characteristic, is pretty friendly about it. Just keep in mind it's there in the rain or when heading into a corner, and learn to use it to your advantage.

Edit: This coming from when I owned my 08 SVS

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Resmarted posted:

firstbike post (crud pics)
[pics]

In background - '83 Sportster --- not pictured - bro's modified '79 XS750
Really enjoying it but I keep eyeing all the sportier bikes.

As the owner of a project 79 XS750, I would like to see pics of your bro's modified one please.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Fantastipotamus posted:

My Triumph is still a new bike though, probably less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm still learning the quirks of it.

This may sound strange, but... Have you ever driven it into a marsh because you knew you wouldn't make a corner?

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

Oakey posted:

Suzuki really didn't change that bike at all since the last update in the 90's. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, they are tanks.

Nice bike Radio, I had an '03 as my first bike. I think it's a good choice. Even now that I have a literbike, I've kept my Katana around as a long-distance and commuting bike. Not that I couldn't ride the literbike to work, but I wouldn't want to leave it parked on the street all day.

Thanks for the compliment. I went with the Katana because I kept reading that it was a good all-arounder. Since I didn't like the idea of lugging a cruiser between lanes, or paying SS insurance rates, I went with the Katana.

Zygoatse
Oct 21, 2008
Showin some more FZ love! Im actually on my 2nd FZ6!
My first FZ6 was an 04 converted to street fighter / naked style

I loved the bike but got an offer for it that I just couldn't pass up! As soon as I sold it I jumped on CL to find a new bike.. I had my heart set on a liter bike but someone had just listed an 06 FZ6 for only 2 grand! So of course I bought it!

This one has Two Bros pipes and is in spotless condition.. At first I didnt like the front fairing cuz I was so used to my naked FZ but it has really grown on me.. It sounds amazing too!

Zygoatse fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 30, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
That FZ is absolutely beautiful!

I rode to work again today and there were two other R6's.

My twin is behind my all bagged up bike. (Testing them for a long ride)

A hooligan stuntaz R6 parked a few spots over.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Zygoatse posted:

How easy was the conversion? Are the parts available in the aftermarket or did you need to fab them? Basically, that looks exactly like what I want in my next bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zygoatse posted:

Fuuuck that's a good-lookin' bike with the fairing off.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phy posted:

Fuuuck that's a good-lookin' bike with the fairing off.

There's something about the handlebar area without the fairing that just looks off.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Finally got the right size bolts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

dietcokefiend posted:

Finally got the right size bolts

I looked at your bike and saw a wheelie bar at first. Utility and street cred!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Zygoatse posted:

Oh my god. I want to do that 5 minutes ago.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Zool posted:

This may sound strange, but... Have you ever driven it into a marsh because you knew you wouldn't make a corner?
Hah, no, can't say that I have.. I'm curious now though, why?

And what I meant to say is that my Triumph is still a new bike to me and I've only put about 1k miles on it, it sounded brand new the way I said it, and it's got ~4600m or so.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hah, no, can't say that I have.. I'm curious now though, why?

And what I meant to say is that my Triumph is still a new bike to me and I've only put about 1k miles on it, it sounded brand new the way I said it, and it's got ~4600m or so.

We had a guy following us on a new Triumph 675 drive his bike into a marsh cuz he 'wasnt gunna make the corner'. There was so much stupidity there I dare not speak it all.

Hate
Feb 26, 2005
My new wheels. Is it wrong to love a machine as much as I do?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Hate posted:

Not at all man... great looking bike.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hate posted:

If I ever sell or turn the SV into a track bike I plan on replacing it with a speed/street triple. Great bikes.

Found this pic on my cell from a month or so ago when I had all the bikes in the driveway when cleaning out the garage. From front to back 1998 KDX200 for playing in the dirt, 2008 DRZ400SM hooligan/track toy, frankenfifty for track days, 1998 SV650 commuter.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Spiffness posted:

We had a guy following us on a new Triumph 675 drive his bike into a marsh cuz he 'wasnt gunna make the corner'. There was so much stupidity there I dare not speak it all.
Thankfully, I haven't ridden it into anything, but mines a 1050 Speed Triple anyway.

Like..

Hate posted:

... this. Is yours a 2006? I feel back in love with mine today. And contrary to what I would have thought, the transition from 1st-2nd is easier/smoother when I rev first out to 8k or so. I've been shifting around 3-4k.

Here's mine from a page or two ago:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hate
Feb 26, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thankfully, I haven't ridden it into anything, but mines a 1050 Speed Triple anyway.

Like..

... this. Is yours a 2006? I feel back in love with mine today. And contrary to what I would have thought, the transition from 1st-2nd is easier/smoother when I rev first out to 8k or so. I've been shifting around 3-4k.

It's an '05. Picked it up with 6500kms and since those pics were taken I've installed a tail tidy. Now I'm in the market for some bar end mirrors.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

More pics of frankenfiddy!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Hate posted:

It's an '05. Picked it up with 6500kms and since those pics were taken I've installed a tail tidy. Now I'm in the market for some bar end mirrors.
Yeah, I miss the bar-ends I had on my Buell before this, I could actually see. Not so much, now.. oh hey, forearms and shoulders, still there? Yep!

Zygoatse
Oct 21, 2008

frozenphil posted:

How easy was the conversion? Are the parts available in the aftermarket or did you need to fab them? Basically, that looks exactly like what I want in my next bike.

Ha, thanks for all the compliments.. You guys are making me miss the bike again! Its really simple to do.. Just rip off the front fairing and pick out a new headlight.. There are many options available. Mine was just a simple 7" single headlight.. Get a fork tube mount kit and wire up some turn signals! I also added a Moto-x style bar that was pretty sweet and comfortable.. The only custom fab I had to do was bend some metal to make a bracket for the gauges..

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

This bike never officially happened. I was thinking of turning my Fizzy into a naked, but never could figure out what to do with the clocks. The pod was awkward and I couldn't fake a good way to make them look good.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

just bought her first dirtbike! She's 4'11" it's a little small, but she wasn't comfortable on an 85.
I think its loving rad.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Zool posted:

Woah, wtf kickstand?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

schreibs posted:

Woah, wtf kickstand?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...=119053&ref=gmc

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Great for mom on the farm, who can use this device to call her children to dinner, then pop a fat wheelie all the way to the house.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Fantastipotamus posted:

Like..

Let's get back to the Speed Triple circle jerk.

Sadly it's going up for sale.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

cmorrow001 posted:

Let's get back to the Speed Triple circle jerk.

Sadly it's going up for sale.

How much do they go for used? I've never seen one on a local CL.

thr33n0r
Nov 18, 2006
www.theowla.com
here's mine: Yamaha TW200. Despite its anemic displacement, it is a great little bike that takes me anywhere I want to go; highway or bush.... I'm planning a 1500 mile trip next month on this little screamer...

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah, I was gonna post mine when I got it. Better late than never.

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500A

(I snapped the shot as my friend rode it home for me - I didn't have my permit or endorsement at the time)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

How much do they go for used? I've never seen one on a local CL.
Mine's a 2006, bought last late-summer/early fall, with 4200 miles on it, and I paid $6k or so, if memory serves. This wasn't on CL though, this was through a local wholesaler company who usually has pretty good prices.

If you're really interested in finding one, you could check out https://www.thespeedtriple.com forums, or the triumphrat.net forums, and you may be able to find one for sale locally.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fantastipotamus posted:

Mine's a 2006, bought last late-summer/early fall, with 4200 miles on it, and I paid $6k or so, if memory serves. This wasn't on CL though, this was through a local wholesaler company who usually has pretty good prices.

If you're really interested in finding one, you could check out https://www.thespeedtriple.com forums, or the triumphrat.net forums, and you may be able to find one for sale locally.

Thanks for the websites. A triple is a bit too much for a first bike but I fell in love with them when the street triple first came out a few years ago before I even considered riding.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Thanks for the websites. A triple is a bit too much for a first bike but I fell in love with them when the street triple first came out a few years ago before I even considered riding.
This is true. The Street triple is less ridiculous than the Speed triple, I think (haven't ridden the street), but yeah, still a bit much for a first bike. My speed is street bike # 3 for me. :)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I headed to a local bike night but it was dead and since I had cleaned it up I grabbed a few night shots

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
:madmax: Meep Meep wide load coming through :backtowork:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

:madmax: Meep Meep wide load coming through :backtowork:

Does the pipe heat up the right side box when you stop and it's hot?

I'm a bit paranoid as I was once in a truck that had the exhaust run touching the tire under the bed and the spare caught fire while driving down the highway.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Pubic Lair posted:

Does the pipe heat up the right side box when you stop and it's hot?

I'm a bit paranoid as I was once in a truck that had the exhaust run touching the tire under the bed and the spare caught fire while driving down the highway.

I have yet to drive it more than a mile or so since the cases were mounted. Full testing with a little IR heat gun will be this week. If it gets too much over 130-140F I am going to fabricate a heat shield for that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Took it out for a longer spin and saw no significant increase of temp on the bottom of that case. In fact in open sun the top of the case was just as hot.