Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

Hahaha, people are honestly considering MOO3. I swear, only in a GOG thread. Ya'll gonna buy Blood 2 while you're at it?

Hey, some games are enjoyable in retrospect. I shunned the existence of Invisible War but replaying it after the Steam sale made me realize that, by itself, it's not a bad game. I couldn't play Shadow of Chernobyl on its release date but 2 years and 2 million sales later you sit down with it and think to yourself "Wow, why didn't I enjoy this from the beginning?" I mean, EarthBound was universally shunned when it came out receiving scores of 50-60% in almost every gaming publication but now if you look up the definition to "Cult Classic" you'll see a picture of Ness.

I haven't played it and I know the hate it gets but I unironically want to try to it to see whether or not people hated it because it's Invisible War/X-COM: Enforcer or because it truly is pitiful.

Although $9.99 ewwww I'll just stick with MoO1+2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

al-azad posted:

Hey, some games are enjoyable in retrospect. I shunned the existence of Invisible War but replaying it after the Steam sale made me realize that, by itself, it's not a bad game. I couldn't play Shadow of Chernobyl on its release date but 2 years and 2 million sales later you sit down with it and think to yourself "Wow, why didn't I enjoy this from the beginning?" I mean, EarthBound was universally shunned when it came out receiving scores of 50-60% in almost every gaming publication but now if you look up the definition to "Cult Classic" you'll see a picture of Ness.

I haven't played it and I know the hate it gets but I unironically want to try to it to see whether or not people hated it because it's Invisible War/X-COM: Enforcer or because it truly is pitiful.

I tried to play it when I was a young high-schooler only shortly after being introduced to MOO2. It was poo poo. I seem to remember the tactical combat being awkward & dumb (who wanted it to switch to real-time anyway?) and every single one of my cities wanted to do nothing but put all my population onto ground troop transports. The terraforming aspect was pretty rubbish too - since each race had its own "ideal climate" and there was barely any overlap at all across races, conquering enemy territory was nigh-worthless, so I would spend hundreds of years carpet-bombing a planet in an attempt to kill the last surviving cylon or whatever.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

al-azad posted:

Invisible War was considered a bad game in the context of being what was supposed to be a PC FPS/RPG (and instead being an Xbox FPS) and being the dissapointing sequel to one of the best games of all time. Playing it on a console and forgetting the prequel, it isn't that bad of a game.

Master of Orion 3 does not have the luxury of being a decent game marred by context. It is, quite simply, a bad game. A very bad game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nessin posted:

Nothing was wrong with Master of Orion 3 on a conceptual level (yes, it was buggy and unbalanced to all hell). While you can debate whether it was a "good" game, it definitely wasn't bad, especially for its time. MoO3 was just different (or, more accurately, too different as it was still a 4x space game), and if you got past the bugs then it was rather enjoyable unless you were specifically looking to micro-manage your empire. Of course since the game was designed to allow you to micro-manage your empire, hating it for that aspect (which most people did at the time) is completely ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but the MOO3 was an irredeemably bad game with fundamental design flaws.

edit: If you even briefly consider getting MoO3 because some of the basic features sound appealing, you should turn down the idea and look up Distant Worlds instead. It also has some flaws to it but it's being actively patched and improved and does a few of the things MOO3 tried to do, but does them substantially better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that I think about it, my favorite aspect of games like Sim City and Distant Worlds which allow you to have the computer automate for you is actually being able to tell the computer to shut up once in a while so you can do it yourself. MoO3 doesn't seem to allow that so looks like I saved $10 today.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
When Master of Orion 3 came out, I bought it with a friend of mine. We had heard some of the buzz about the game, and we had heard that it wasn't very good, so neither of us were willing to buy it at full price. We split the price, and went back to my place to try it out.

I remember the manual. It gave a nice backstory for the conflict, and got me enthused to play. i thought to myself, "surely there is some fun to be found here!"

I was wrong.

We spent a few hours with it that day. At first, we thought that we just needed to figure out the game's intricacies, and a beautiful experience would open up before us. We could see for ourselves what it means to become a galactic overlord, one conquest at a time! We'd crush empire after empire under our boots!

We were wrong.

When we couldn't take anymore, my friend went home, and brought the game with him. I went to visit him a few days later. He had discovered the whole "click End Turn until you win" strategy, and was ready to quit. I took the game back to my place and gave it several more hours of play over the next few days.

In the end, we faced a dilemma. Neither of us ever wanted to play the game again. We didn't want to throw it away, because someone might dig it out of the trash and try to play it. We couldn't destroy it because we had paid good money for it.

We made a sacred pact that day.

We both uninstalled the game. He kept the install disk, and I kept the play disk, so that neither of us would ever have the means to reinstall the game on either of our systems. To this day, I have no idea where he keeps his disk. Mine is sealed away where it can't hurt anyone. From time to time, I'll take it out to remind myself of my ordeal. I do this with the curtains drawn, so that nobody sees it, and a stiff drink in my hand, to dull the pain. This dark legacy will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Some day, I'll pass the responsibility to my son, and he can become the custodian of MOO3.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Lord_Pigeonbane is actually Ender Wiggin, irl.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well looks like you'll have to unleash your wrath on CD Projekt who have opened the ark for all to see. This was probably a stipulation by Atari so maybe GoG will make up for it by releasing Humongous' titles next week who BTW are owned by Atari.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm sorry, but the MOO3 was an irredeemably bad game with fundamental design flaws.

edit: If you even briefly consider getting MoO3 because some of the basic features sound appealing, you should turn down the idea and look up Distant Worlds instead. It also has some flaws to it but it's being actively patched and improved and does a few of the things MOO3 tried to do, but does them substantially better.

I enjoyed the game before the community banded together to fix some of its downsides, and I really enjoyed the game afterwards. The very fact that it has an active community after this long and one that got people interested in the game before it was readily available through GOG goes to show it wasn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

I'm not saying everyone will enjoy it (kind of hard to make the claim with all the negative posts here) or that its a perfect game, but its well worth $10 especially if you look into the community patches for it.

Also I do have Distant Worlds and I agree its a great game. I'd probably recommend that over MoO3 as well if you had one choice, although I expect quite a few people are turned off by the idea of Real-Time vs Turn-Based.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 4, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Maybe it's just up there for completion's sake? Or perhaps it's bad form for GOG to look at the list of titles a publisher is willing to put up and say "nope, not that one, it's poo poo."

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Maybe somebody there liked it. There's a few folks that did... like nessin.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Maybe somebody there liked it. There's a few folks that did... like nessin.

In a related note, a few folks enjoy having their scrotums cut with scalpel blades.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Slantedfloors posted:

In a related note, a few folks enjoy having their scrotums cut with scalpel blades.

It takes all kinds.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The Machine posted:

Hahaha, people are honestly considering MOO3. I swear, only in a GOG thread. Ya'll gonna buy Blood 2 while you're at it?

Not that I'm knowledgeable about the Master of Orion games, but are you seriously comparing MOO3 to Blood 2?

Sure, Blood 2 isn't the greatest game. It's prequel is superior, it crashes if I try a display resolution greater than 1440x900, the dialogue and story aren't exactly the best, the AI leaves something to be desired, and the Nightmare Levels are a nightmare for all the wrong reasons (see bottom of page for hilarious videos) despite costing waaaay too much on eBay, but it's still a fun campy shooter pack for $6. I've played far worse.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

When Master of Orion 3 came out, I bought it with a friend of mine. We had heard some of the buzz about the game, and we had heard that it wasn't very good, so neither of us were willing to buy it at full price. We split the price, and went back to my place to try it out.

Wow... what a story. So, uh...that game kinda sucks, yeah?

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 5, 2010

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

al-azad posted:

Well looks like you'll have to unleash your wrath on CD Projekt who have opened the ark for all to see. This was probably a stipulation by Atari so maybe GoG will make up for it by releasing Humongous' titles next week who BTW are owned by Atari.

I would love the chance to play Moonbase Commander again.

Though I'm also wondering if GOG will release Total Annihilation since that just came out as an Impulse exclusive recently.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I would love the chance to play Moonbase Commander again.

Though I'm also wondering if GOG will release Total Annihilation since that just came out as an Impulse exclusive recently.

You are a genius among men. I wonder who owns the rights to this these days?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
My own personal story about MOO3 is that I tried the demo some time after it came out. It was one of those demos that limited you to an hour of play time. I probably got about 100 turns into the game and then started wondering when the demo time limit would be up. I never ran the demo again, so I don't know how much time I actually spent, but when the demo feels like you played for 2-3 hours even though you were only limited to one hour, then either your demo can't keep track of time very well, or the game just isn't very fun to begin with.

MOO3 is a game that failed on basic elements of game design, and $10 is about $9 too much to pay for it. Yes, there's fan patches out there, and they probably make the game tolerable, and maybe even fun, but the fans applying the patches are probably operating out of some sort of Stockholm Syndrome, as opposed to really loving the game itself.

I'm not blaming GoG for this, they can't exactly turn down a game on the basis of "sorry, but everyone said the game sucks, so we won't post it". They've already posted other games that aren't really that old, and others that aren't really that great. If you really want to try MOO3, though, I've seen it on sale at various discount stores for about $4, and that way you'd have something physical to destroy when you find out the game sucks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Has anybody mentioned either of the Heavy Gear games? I fondly remember having a lot of fun with Heavy Gear 2, tweaking the load-outs with mortar systems and crazy recoilless rifles. Plus you could put your team into the roller-tread mode and dart around moonscapes like a bunch of assholes. For its time, a lot of the missions offered a genuine amount of flexibility to how you approached objectives. Now I can't find the game anywhere for the life of me. Maybe it's fallen into licensing-limbo and will never see the legal-purchase light of day.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember looking at development screenshots for MoOIII and thinking it looked absolutely drool-worthy. I couldn't wait to get my hands dirty with micromanaging a galactic empire. Though I never played the game, it's terribleness was legend.

One sympathetic, yet honest, review of the game is on a good old site I used to refer to for Startopia strategy stuff: http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_moo3.htm

Speaking of which, Startopia needs to be on GOG, badly. This was a game you could mod with a spreadsheet, it's a shame it never got the fan or full development attention it really deserved.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Charles Martel posted:

Wow... what a story. So, uh...that game kinda sucks, yeah?

It's a true story. Incidentally, my wife left me two weeks later. Coincidence?!

Also, I had some fun with Blood 2 back in the day. It wasn't great but it had a few fun weapons.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ah MOO3...

Why did it have to be so bad...

I loved the idea of more macro as opposed to micro, I loved the huge galaxies, I loved new and interesting races (okay just the parasite things that every other race hated), I loved the idea of a galactic council run by aliens who don't really give a poo poo about anything, I loved how the new tactical combat looked and I loved the idea of more MOO, hell I even liked the new terraforming system and how different races had different planet requirements

Pity everything else sucked balls

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody mentioned either of the Heavy Gear games? I fondly remember having a lot of fun with Heavy Gear 2, tweaking the load-outs with mortar systems and crazy recoilless rifles. Plus you could put your team into the roller-tread mode and dart around moonscapes like a bunch of assholes. For its time, a lot of the missions offered a genuine amount of flexibility to how you approached objectives. Now I can't find the game anywhere for the life of me. Maybe it's fallen into licensing-limbo and will never see the legal-purchase light of day.

Heavy Gear 2 was great. It had some of the coolest zero-G combat I've ever seen, and the armor system actually worked like armor. Depending on the caliber of weapon used, and the range, shots might deflect harmlessly, chip away at your defenses, or just penetrate altogether and do internal damage. You could unload a machinegun into a heavily armored unit all day long and do absolutely nothing, but something without heavy plating would get chewed up.

You could see the level of armor on a target, too. Armor plates were big and chunky things.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Would Restaurant Empire work on a netbook? Some games on GOG now have specs high enough to make gameplay really stuttery on a netbook, and it looks... not terrible, graphically.

I really like games like that shut up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Don't, at least not for quite some time. Stardock and GPG are best buds, which I imagine is why they have TA as an exclusivity.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Empire Earth 3 is now on GOG for $9.99.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Looks like it's contractual obligation week.

Hope there's a good sale to make up for it.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Thats not really an old game though... what gives? I figured they were going to concentrate more on games from the old school 486 days etc etc..

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Nthman posted:

Thats not really an old game though... what gives? I figured they were going to concentrate more on games from the old school 486 days etc etc..
On the other hand, it's appropriate to put it up right after MoO3, since it make MoO3 look like a good sequel in comparison.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nthman posted:

They've released plenty of not-that-old stuff. Fallout, Caesar III, Beyond Good & Evil, and lots more.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Fallout 1, 2 and Cesar III have been released in 97/98, so they are indeed old games.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
There's also Far Cry (2004), FlatOut (2005), and Driver: Parallel Lines (2007).

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Healbot posted:

Fallout 1, 2 and Cesar III have been released in 97/98, so they are indeed old games.

No, they must be 18 years plus, and at least rated 4/5 stars, or GOG fails at it's name and must be destroyed!

Honestly, they're landing developers, and might take some more recent work from them. That's fine. Also, if you get MOO 1 and 2, and the developer tells you to take MOO 3, do you seriously think it's good business to be like "no, our fans will be underwhelmed by this selection, we must decline!"

I'm not buying every game on the site, and I'm glad they are getting a bigger selection.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Yeah I dunno, maybe its just my inner geek hoping for more tenured games than some of the newer ones.

Off the top of my head id like to see some of the Lucas Arts games, Origin and maybe some Leisure suit Larry games.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Right, but that's landing a developer and their library. If they go and get, say, Ultima 1..you know they're throwing hours into making the entire ultima series, wing commander, etc. sellable on GOG, while their other team is working on selling whoever has liesure suit larry. /shrug

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
If they ever get Origin I am going to be so skint. Off the top of my head, Bad Blood, Space Rogue, Strike Commander, Ultima series, Martian Dreams, Wing Commander series... goddamn, I can't remember a stinker they did (Ascension didn't happen!).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Hooray horrible lovely sequel week! But as the old saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Also, Beyond Divinity has permanently dropped to $5.99 if anyone is interested in it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

thedaian posted:

MOO3 is a game that failed on basic elements of game design, and $10 is about $9 too much to pay for it.

Remember that period like a year or two after the game came out where you would actually profit one dollar by buying the game off of Amazon?

I think a large part why MOO3 is so completely reviled around here is that there were goons on the testing crew, and they didn't warn anyone.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Was Empire Earth 3 really released in 2007 because goddamn it looks awful.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Thompsons posted:

Was Empire Earth 3 really released in 2007 because goddamn it looks awful.
It was a budget title when it was released. It doesn't really have a lot in common with EE1/2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

beef express posted:

If they ever get Origin I am going to be so skint. Off the top of my head, Bad Blood, Space Rogue, Strike Commander, Ultima series, Martian Dreams, Wing Commander series... goddamn, I can't remember a stinker they did (Ascension didn't happen!).

And the Crusader games! I want those on GoG so bad.