Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Made things worse I think. Gotta get it sorted tomorrow, supposed to be taking a girl out for a ride Thursday. Although I am storing a friend's CBR600, might have to ask for the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Got new tires on it, used to be Michelin Sirac, now are Metzeler Tourance. Saved some money by doing the removing of the wheels myself. Found out I need new break pads. 285$ spent all in all.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I rode it. For the first time. I got it running and I rode it. Sweet victory.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
I am a bad motorcycle owner and my bike is too good for me.

I've proll'y done a grand total of ten miles since my last accident in November. My Thruxton has been sitting in the garage that entire time. In addition to needing new tires and clutch plates, it's gone a hair over six months without being started, glanced at or otherwise maintained. No trickle charger, no nothing. I did at least leave the tank full.

New gear in hand I decided to see how it was this morning. Fired up strong on the first tap of the starter button. I rode it to work today and it went like a raped ape.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Took a trip to a local produce farm, went through twisty rich bitch country and did the usual "dodging BMWs" deal. The Honda seems to be running fine now.

Also got a renewed parking permit for the thing, and I feel like a dummy pulling up with all the spring bike riders who I never ever saw in winter. I would have been riding all along if not for bike problems. I'm not like you, man. Its freaking San Diego, our Winters are better than some place's summers.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
Got the rear tire swapped and finally rode that thing! Then it started snowing. :canada: But I didn't stop riding.
From reading this thread, I've suddenly become worried about my squeaky rear brake. :ohdear:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Today I took the hand guards off me machine. It looks sportier already, I bet it added 30 or 40 HP and looks oh so stylish.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Hand guards own, I got some on ebay because some PO got rid of mine.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Tried to sort out the Virago not wanting to go above idle, opened up the float bowl after draining it. There was about a half gallon of gas in the tank. Went in for dinner after kind of half-assedly putting the float bowl cover loosely back over the important bits with a couple screws, came out again an hour or two later to find the remainder of the gas from the tank all over the bike/ground. :sigh:

The petcock was set to "on," this one is just "on/res/prime" so I thought it shouldn't have done that. Oh well.

Although I did sit next to the intake with some starter fluid, and the idle increases when I shoot a little into the airbox, so I think its a fueling thing. I guess the screw being like 4 turns out wasn't entirely compensation for dirty carb.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

niethan posted:

Hand guards own, I got some on ebay because some PO got rid of mine.

In the winter I love them, they keep the cold air at bay, but in the summer, I don't think I will miss them. If I do I can always slap them right back on.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OdinAllfather posted:

Got the rear tire swapped and finally rode that thing! Then it started snowing. :canada: But I didn't stop riding.
From reading this thread, I've suddenly become worried about my squeaky rear brake. :ohdear:

Define "squeaky". Maybe it's just pads?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I took my machine out for a ride today, I got honked at. Why? Because I had the audacity to use my blinker as I slowed to turn into my apartment complex. Some dude just loving layed on his horn and did that " mat the gas to the floor as they pass you, you huge prick" thing.

So... hell of a ride.

edit: Right so what will I do to my ride today? Why disconnect my blinkers of course. Since obviously using them is a problem.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 28, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Converted the DRZ back to street duty. Took maybe five minutes...plug the headlight and tail light back in, remove tape from lights, go play.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Converted the DRZ back to street duty. Took maybe five minutes...plug the headlight and tail light back in, remove tape from lights, go play.

I'm so jealous of you DRZ guys. I'll have one eventually, just you wait.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ignored it and took a Canadian med student for a ride on my friend's CBR600 Hanspree.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Received a 320mm front rotor, caliper relocation bracket, and new brake pads.

Removed wheel, removed rotor, installed new rotor, unbolted caliper, removed brake pads, installed new brake pads, discovered caliper relocation bracket didn't fit, emailed company who sold me the kit with 'wtf?', closed garage, went inside. :(

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Got insurance on the DRZ

Progressive, $30/Month Full coverage

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Got out on the Husky to the inspection station. The line was so long I turned around and left. Some lady pulled in front of me, so I cut behind another car and got in front of both of them. Other car cuts off a truck to get behind me. I turn my head and she starts yelling/waving at me, so I reved the motor until she shut up. Then I ran out of gas right in the middle of flying around a turn. WTF.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Put the Nelson Riggs bags that I picked up off NewEnough on the SV. A little big but it sure beats riding to work every day with a overstuffed timbuk2 bag and a large tank bag.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone pic...no clue where my camera is.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Cross-posting from the "Ghetto Paint Job" thread:

Line-X is sweet.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

timb posted:

Cross-posting from the "Ghetto Paint Job" thread:

Line-X is sweet.

That is loving awesome!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Took it out for a ride, one of the few times I've been out this month. Of course, the motherfuckin Perfect Storm hits the gulf and now I'm sitting in my work office while Thor throws poo poo around outside.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I have a friend with a blue 2005 Gixxer that has the tank and the tail section line-x'ed, He's a shorter guy and told me flat out that he was jsut tired of scratching it.

for content, I did lots of wheelies, some little jumps off speed bumbs and stoppies. I <3 my Sumo

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Heh learned an important lesson last week, DO NOT try to adjust your chain unless it's supported on a center stand or a swingarm stand heh and you actually loosen the axle nut, I ended up bending it and stripping the threads, leaving it useless and the chain was just flopping around.

I ordered a new adjuster earlier in the week and the plate and nut since the old ones were messed up and the threads were pretty stripped. Was pretty easy, i've never removed the axle to the rear wheel before, you just have to kind of support it with a foot and work the axle out. I greased up the axle a bit for good measure and just popped out the old adjuster and popped the new one in and the axle goes right through it, takes a bit of wiggling and fidgeting but it went in.

Re-adjusted the chain properly and it looks good now :) It's kinda fun learning little things and little lessons.

Picture of the old one.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 1, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I seem to have especially vivid and memorable dreams after my alarm wakes me up, and I hit snooze, and this morning I dreamt my Triumph was stolen. It sucked. But then I woke up and felt this wave of relief as I realized it wasn't real.

I've dreamt that my STi and current Legacy GT were totalled or stolen, and now the Triumph. Guess it's a theme I'm worried about. :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
2 weeks ago I noticed that my 500's chain was awfully loose. Loose enough that when I decelerated quickly, it would slap against the retracted centerstand. I figured that the chain needed adjusting. I took it in today and on the way there, the bike jerked hard a few times, which I hadn't experienced before. The shop mechanic looked at it and said it needed new sprockets along with a new chain. He said that was why it was hanging so low, that it was dangerous to ride.

Goddammit. I'm sad because today is the first 80-degree day in upstate NY and I was hoping to get the bike back this afternoon to ride. Now it's looking like later next week. Time to console myself with some chinese food.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Put it under a loving cover because of the crazy rain. Today might be the first day in almost 2 weeks I have to use my car unless I stop feeling lazy.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Installed Ricor Intiminators, what a world of difference. This big tractor now just soaks up the bumps, holds a line better, and has decreased brake dive.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
^ Nice avatar ^

Big day for the KLR.
Installed nerf bars.
Did the doohickey.
Installed a new bash plate.

All stuff I'd been planning to do for a while, but JOB SECURITY got in the way for a bit. That's all better now, though, so the KLR gets presents.

Nerf bars, mostly for the highway peg benefits. Additional radiator protection isnt a bad thing, though. The strap you see is holding up the front caliper, because the asshats I bought a 320mm rotor from sent me the wrong caliper relocation bracket.

Yay symmetry. You can see the new rotor in the shot, too. Wish I could use it.

Outer rotor cover off. Small starter gears out.

Whoops. Broke that getting the rotor bolt out. Luckily it was a cheap one, and the slightly less cheap husky brand one held up.

Rotor out. Starter gear is next.

Doohickey!

Old doohickey out, old spring out, inner rotor cover off.

Old doo meet new doo

Managed to hurt myself trying to install the torsion spring, which is normal. It started dripping after that, so I had to go in and wash it out and bandage it up. :(

I gave up on the torsion spring because that bastard is impossible, and installed a new old-style spring instead.

Bash plate.

After everything was in and on and happy I put new oil in and fired it up. It still starts and runs, which is a pretty good thing considering what I tore in to.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

the picture for my avatar is not very original, but yours cracked me up when i first saw it.

Also its too bad that you were unable to get the torsion spring system to work. It seems like a good idea in theory to eliminate the need to ever open it up again to put in a shorter spring.

On my dad's klr I used the torsion spring when replacing his doohicky. His had 7k on it and it seems the previous owner never loosened the bolt to let the doohicky adjust. The spring was banging around in there with one end ground off.
On mine I used the original spring (it was still in great shape), so someday I will open it again to check it.

Let me know how that rotor works, its on my maybe list.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Slapped my rear light a bunch of times until I gave up, cause the brake light and the regular light wouldn't work.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

First time using 80w gear oil as a chain lube (90w wasn't in stock). Boy, you guys weren't kidding about fling-off. Even after wiping it pretty well it made a nice pattern on my white rear wheel. It does work exceptionally well in every other regard, though.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Bent my loving kickstand like an idiot :(

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Changed the oil in MY WIFE's new (to us) sportster 883. WTF Harley Davidson, external oil tank + no way to change the filter without getting oil everywhere. Oh yeah, I paid extra for the chrome oil filter :smuggo:

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED

Doctor Zero posted:

Define "squeaky". Maybe it's just pads?

It's sounds like a car's brakes when sand has gotten into them. It's a shaft drive bike with drum brakes on the rear, so I'm wondering if the previous owner never even looked at them.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Swapped to a larger 15t front sprocket on my '09 Ninja 250 and changed the oil. I was hoping for a little bit more drop in RPM than what it gave me; about 500 RPM. Still, these bikes should have come from the factory with a 15t front sprocket as it stays in the power band much longer and actually lets you cruise through town in 4th or 5th.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OdinAllfather posted:

It's sounds like a car's brakes when sand has gotten into them. It's a shaft drive bike with drum brakes on the rear, so I'm wondering if the previous owner never even looked at them.

Ah yeah, I had that on my Silverwing (which was also a shaft drive rear drum). You should be able to change them easily enough with a manual. I did mine in a few hours and I had never done drum brakes on a bike before. The hardest part is getting the drat springs back on. A good set of needle nose pliers will be your friend here.

I don't remember what kind of bike you have, but I recommend trying that out before you get too worried. And you can just use your front brakes in the mean time. I don't recommend that as a long term workaround, since using both brakes does improve your stopping power, but It's not the most horrible thing in the world.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

spandexcajun posted:

Changed the oil in MY WIFE's new (to us) sportster 883. WTF Harley Davidson, external oil tank + no way to change the filter without getting oil everywhere. Oh yeah, I paid extra for the chrome oil filter :smuggo:

The external oil tank also burns the poo poo out of the inside of your thigh at stops when you put your feet down. I hate this stupid bike, please buy it so your wife will have two!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Beefington posted:

The external oil tank also burns the poo poo out of the inside of your thigh at stops when you put your feet down. I hate this stupid bike, please buy it so your wife will have two!

Are you riding in shorts or is your bike running hot? I've never had this problem.

The oil change thing is just god drat retarded, though. I will agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
After a beautiful ride home from work I decided to tackle wiring in something that would let me power my iPhone and my GPS for my long trip. I didn't want anything permanent because the bike is all sexy and stuff and a cigarette lighter socket on the handlebars or tie wrapped to the forks would probably drive me crazy. I decided to put everything in my Rapid Transport tank bag. I figured it's already got cable openings for headphones and hydration, so why not us it?

I had some extra Battery Tender Jr quick connects laying around, so I first attached one set to the battery and then tucked the waterproof connector under the seat near the tank. I then cut off the connectors from the other quick connect and attached it to the accessory socket. I picked up a dual power adapter for my iPhone that also has a USB port so you can charge an Apple device and something else at the same time.

When I want power I just pull the quick connect out of the tank bag and connect it up.

All of these wires can be stowed in the hydration pocket when not in use.

The hydration clips work great for the USB cable which reaches the RAM mount perfectly. I need a drat pic of everything on the bike but it was dark by the time I was done. Having my two year old son "help" made things take much longer, but it was more fun!