Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Le Sean posted:

It would be great if most of the NPC's at UNATCO had a killphrase (somehow) and one of the ultra-secret-endings involved you strolling out of the MJ12 base, Miguel's arm interlocked in yours, as you skip through the halls rattling off random cryptonyms as everyone falls, one by one, to the floor in the wake of your joy.

Set it to the Blue Danube Waltz, with people exploding/hitting the floor with each of the staccato notes.

Dun dun dun dun duuuuuuun (YeEAGH YEAGH, YAHHHHH BOOM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Pope Guilty posted:

The only thing it comes down to is how you leave the 'Ton. If you go out the window, Paul dies. If you go out the front door, he lives.

He also lives if you get killed in the 'ton fight.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tarezax posted:

Set it to the Blue Danube Waltz, with people exploding/hitting the floor with each of the staccato notes.

Dun dun dun dun duuuuuuun (YeEAGH YEAGH, YAHHHHH BOOM)

How about "Singing in the Rain"? :toughguy: :toughguy: :wth: :toughguy: :toughguy:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Amethyst posted:

He also lives if you get killed in the 'ton fight.

I guess technically speaking that too is the front door, even if it's unconscious and in a body bag.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Just put this in the OP:

Paul Denton survives if you leave through the front door or get killed. He dies if you leave through the window :siren:AT ANY POINT.:siren:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a little something nice I stumbled upon: The Craftsman, a new (well, from last month anyway) song by Alex Brandon, the guy who scored both DX games, done in the same sort of style as his DX1, Unreal 1 and Unreal Tournament '99 tracks.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Quite possibly the greatest part of Deus Ex is that the black helicopter is called Black Helicopter.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Le Sean posted:

It would be great if most of the NPC's at UNATCO had a killphrase (somehow) and one of the ultra-secret-endings involved you strolling out of the MJ12 base, Miguel's arm interlocked in yours, as you skip through the halls rattling off random cryptonyms as everyone falls, one by one, to the floor in the wake of your joy.

It'd be perfect if JC and Miguel both had :smuggo: expressions on as they waltz out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Janice already has a killphrase, and she says it herself.

"Manderley! It's JC-urrrk"

:smug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

On my next run I'll actually use her killphrase.

Anna has a killphrase? :aaaaa:

I've never not used a LAM to kill her in the plane.

Fnoigy posted:

What.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

He's drawing a parallel between the AI merging ending and Jock and the Black Helicopter.

It's not funny once one has to explain it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ansob. posted:

Anna has a killphrase? :aaaaa:

I've never not used a LAM to kill her in the plane.

What.

"What ever you say, Flat-lander Woman"

"How did you know?"

BOOM!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Steakandchips posted:

It's not funny once one has to explain it.

And it is incredibly funny. Well played, Fnoigy :golfclap:

Tombdust
Aug 18, 2009

Known to attract ravenous hordes of undead dust mites
This game is still my favourite single player experience, ever since entering Hong Kong and getting completely immersed until the morning hours so many years ago.

I never heard of the Shifter mod before, guess I'm off to reinstall the game once more :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

He's drawing a parallel between the AI merging ending and Jock and the Black Helicopter.

Sometimes I run out of brains. It's been a while since I finished Deus Ex, so sorry and thanks. :downs:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Penguingo posted:

Janice already has a killphrase, and she says it herself.

"Manderley! It's JC-urrrk"

:smug:

I just prodded her. I also prodded than pawn Manderley while he sat in his chair after holo Simmons pretty much told me about the kill switch. Ex Special Forces my rear end.

Since I got the GOTY Edition on STEAM, where do I find the soundtrack for when Paige and Simmons are expositioning right at the start of the game?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fnoigy posted:

Ironically, it was Bob Page who originally planned to merge with the Black Helicopter. The whole Helios thing was a fallback plan.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All this love for that overrated helicopter, I still love you Police Boat. You were there right at the beginning of it all :(.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

SeanBeansShako posted:

All this love for that overrated helicopter, I still love you Police Boat. You were there right at the beginning of it all :(.

The police boat doesn't work for me hurr :rolleye:

What a shame.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Hard Clumping posted:

And it is incredibly funny. Well played, Fnoigy :golfclap:
Actually, it was from Sunglasses at Night.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Even if the propellers on it don't spin?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

Even if the propellers on it don't spin?

Quit ruining my jet black sunglasses tinted memories dammit.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

Just put this in the OP:

Paul Denton survives if you leave through the front door or get killed. He dies if you leave through the window :siren:AT ANY POINT.:siren:

I love how in the speedrun, he kills himself by smoking a cigarette after talking to Paul.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

You went out the window, I bet. If you go through the front door he survives, but the window has him die.

I also set a trap to kill Anna (I used the barrels of boom behind the door method) and I have to say, it was nice not having to fight her. On my next run I'll actually use her killphrase.

I left through the front door though, and I'm using shifter anyway so even the window shouldn't matter.

I guess the game hosed me :(

I wasn't sure how killing Anna on the 747 would play out so that's where I made my last surviving non-quicksave, I guess I'll roll back and try it again tonight.

Hard Clumping posted:

:siren:AT ANY POINT.:siren:
Wait does this mean that if I left through the window when I first went to the apartment during the first visit to Hell's kitchen I might be hosed? How does Shifter play into this?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 5, 2010

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Wait does this mean that if I left through the window when I first went to the apartment during the first visit to Hell's kitchen I might be hosed? How does Shifter play into this?
Nope, just at any point after the soldiers storm the room on your return visit. Shifter is supposed to fix this so that when Paul gets out you can use the window safely.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

CaptainWinky posted:

Nope, just at any point after the soldiers storm the room on your return visit. Shifter is supposed to fix this so that when Paul gets out you can use the window safely.

I've been hearing reports that it's unreliable, though. Just stay away from the window, it's the pussy option anyway.

Fnoigy posted:

Actually, it was from Sunglasses at Night.

Oh. Oh.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Is there anything else that could trigger Paul's death if you don't use the window? I just played that part yesterday planning to save him. Went out the door into the hall with him, guns blazing and saw him make it to stairs. I didn't know he was invulnerable so I focused on trying to clear a path for him. At some point, though, he disappeared. I checked the bodies, he wasn't there, so I figured he'd just gone out the front door and escaped so I moved on. And now I've just seen him dead on a table in the MJ12 lab. :smith:

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Lots of shameful brothers in this thread. Should have augmented your compassion.

What?? A shame!

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 28, 2015

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Angry Boat posted:

I think I can stop playing this game now. I was able to knock Maggie out by throwing an American Flag at her.

edit: is it possible to bring the non-inventory items (flags, vases, etc.) with you between levels?
I've carried metal boxes onto the plane to fortify Lebedev's room, so yes.

You can also definitely bring corpses / unconscious people. It's best to travel with a friend.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Angry Boat posted:

I think I can stop playing this game now. I was able to knock Maggie out by throwing an American Flag at her.

edit: is it possible to bring the non-inventory items (flags, vases, etc.) with you between levels?

This is great. You could play the game as a True American Hero and knock out all the bad guys with American flags. Just don't ever let them touch the ground. Don't know what ending you would choose though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mike the TV posted:

This is great. You could play the game as a True American Hero and knock out all the bad guys with American flags. Just don't ever let them touch the ground. Don't know what ending you would choose though.

Mod it so you can flush the flag down the Area 51 toilet to unlock the dance party.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

Bat Ham posted:

Is there anything else that could trigger Paul's death if you don't use the window? I just played that part yesterday planning to save him. Went out the door into the hall with him, guns blazing and saw him make it to stairs. I didn't know he was invulnerable so I focused on trying to clear a path for him. At some point, though, he disappeared. I checked the bodies, he wasn't there, so I figured he'd just gone out the front door and escaped so I moved on. And now I've just seen him dead on a table in the MJ12 lab. :smith:

Don't worry. Saving Paul really isn't worth it at all.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

On my playthrough yesterday where Paul ended up dead, I did leave the apartment through the window after killing all the troops and Paul saying he was going to go get smuggler to smuggle him out. This was using shifter. After the rollback I did everything the same way but left through the front door and everything was fine. It's kind of hilarious how he can't move enough to walk to the subway when you find him in the apartment, but then he solos a few MIBs and a dozen soldiers, gets captured, and then when you find him in the lab to rescue him again he's like "nah, go ahead without me, I'll break out later by myself and get to Hong Kong after I pick up my dry cleaning"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Don't worry. Saving Paul really isn't worth it at all.
What? He's totally important! Why, just think of all the times he springs his wisdom upon you, like in the very last level where you have to make your big choice and he basically says "do whatever man I don't really care!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Deus Ex is the only game you can kill a cat or dog by accidentally stepping on them. I did that twice in Hong Kong. Whoops.

And heh:

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 5, 2010

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So, uh, where is the blackjack? I'm doing a non-lethal run, and I just finished the generator mission and went on to the airfield. I know where it's supposed to be, but I didn't see it there on the first pass-through - is it there when I return?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Velius posted:

So, uh, where is the blackjack? I'm doing a non-lethal run, and I just finished the generator mission and went on to the airfield. I know where it's supposed to be, but I didn't see it there on the first pass-through - is it there when I return?

It's in Paul's apartment, just sort of lying on his coffee table. I don't believe that it makes a return if you miss it, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Male Man posted:

It's in Paul's apartment, just sort of lying on his coffee table. I don't believe that it makes a return if you miss it, though.

I think it turns up on the table in Mr. Renton's little office thing during the visit when Jojo's terrorizing him and Sandra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think it turns up on the table in Mr. Renton's little office thing during the visit when Jojo's terrorizing him and Sandra.

It's also on Paul's body in the MJ12 facility under UNATCO.