Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

The Can Am is such an American bike.
And yet it's Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

did you know that fondue was originally developed out of necessity? True story.

Can-Am and Piaggio MP3. I wish.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

And yet it's Canadian.

God I hope they snap up Erik Buell when his no-compete clause expires

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw what must have been the DC Can-Am Owners Association one day. There was like five or six of them riding together.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phy posted:

This would actually be really cool

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PadreScout posted:

Eurotrip

Don't know if you feel like dipping into Germany, but Bike, a UK mag, did an article about a road called the B500, or Schwarzwaldhochstrasse. It's just east of the French border, is 36 miles long, has over 100 corners, and is apparently the best road in Germany. The article says it's best on a summer weekday evening, as there's almost no police. Don't speed in 50 or 70 kph zones or you'll lose your bike.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Don't know if you feel like dipping into Germany, but Bike, a UK mag, did an article about a road called the B500, or Schwarzwaldhochstrasse. It's just east of the French border, is 36 miles long, has over 100 corners, and is apparently the best road in Germany. The article says it's best on a summer weekday evening, as there's almost no police. Don't speed in 50 or 70 kph zones or you'll lose your bike.

"Schwarzwaldhochstrasse" haha, freaking Germans and their long words. I assume it's got something to do with the Black Forest, by the name of it. I appreciate the tip though, I will be sure and try to add it to my itinerary. I'm actually really strongly thinking I may spend some time in Germany because I forgot all about that motorbike factory they have in Berlin that's supposed to be like.. super state of the art and fancy as gently caress. Plus I hear there are castles and all sort of neat poo poo through that place courtesy of that loving batty king they had Mad King Lut-whoever.

So again, thanks for the tip. I appreciate you taking the time.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

At that point, he might as well keep going southeast and hit Stelvio Pass

And yes the B500 runs square through the Black Forest. Quick google hit says that it translates as Black Forest High Street.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
black forest highway would be the americanized version.

these guys probably know some great roads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

black forest highway would be the americanized version.

these guys probably know some great roads.

A Russian mudfield is hardly a road

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

redscare posted:

I think they're looking for Steve McQueen.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The best roads in the south of Germany are the ones heading to Switzerland.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

redscare posted:

Sounds like a good time if he brings the KLR.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Got all the dirtbikes sorted today!

The WR's steering head bearings are new, a long with an oil change and greased linkage. I do need to bend the kickstand bracket back.

KDX has a new full exhaust as my girlfriend got put on the noise watch list at the last hare scramble

KTM I dialied in the suspension!

blam

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Phy posted:

He might be too busy with his band. Apparently if you pre-order their CD, he will personally call your house and thank you.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

redscare posted:

did you hear that? The entire supermotard thread just called you a pussy.

:3:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deeters posted:

He might be too busy with his band. Apparently if you pre-order their CD, he will personally call your house and thank you.
I kind of want to preorder just for that.

EDIT 2: The phone call requires paying $50 total for a CD, t-shirt, and the call. I am listening on MySpace. They're not bad. Not great, but not bad.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, that album cover is amazing.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 5, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

did you hear that? The entire supermotard thread just called you a pussy.

:3:

I'd totally take a Russian mudfield on on the KLR but that doesn't make it any more of a road

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Ola posted:

The best roads in the south of Germany are the ones heading to Switzerland.

Switzerland? Why? Is it some kind of trap so that the Swiss can arrest you at the border for driving 1 mile over the speed limit or I dunno.. enjoying driving or something? For all I know they've established national maximum decibel rating for all cars at 30 Db or something. I swear man, the Swiss hate people that like cars.. and cars.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Schwarzwaldhochstraße owns, it has these long sweeping corners, hell there's a couple of alps like passes with serpentines hidden around there. The "Hochstraße" doesn't mean highway as such, but more like high road, as in it is mostly on the top ridge of the black forest.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PadreScout posted:

Switzerland? Why?

Click for big!

You'll be breaking the lean angle limits before you break the speed limit in those corners. :) Pics are from my Euro trip report which includes a bit of Italy and France, available here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495660

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

What, no boot?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Of course there's boot!

Plenty of boot and even some naked leg :pervert: on page 2 of the advrider thread.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I couldn't do it. I'd be drug off and shot when they found out I own a sportscar and a motorbike. Those roads are obviously there to lure the unsuspecting so the Swiss police can have their way with them.

Precident:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was heading out to do a grocery run Monday afternoon (NOTE TO SELF: stop going out after 3:30 when schools get let out!) and some random dude came up to me just before I started 'er up, so we chatted for a bit about bikes and how he loves the look of 70s/80s Honda standards. He's trying to track down a CB750 and apparently found one nice looking one in Wisconsin that he's seriously looking at!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chris Knight posted:

I was heading out to do a grocery run Monday afternoon (NOTE TO SELF: stop going out after 3:30 when schools get let out!) and some random dude came up to me just before I started 'er up, so we chatted for a bit about bikes and how he loves the look of 70s/80s Honda standards. He's trying to track down a CB750 and apparently found one nice looking one in Wisconsin that he's seriously looking at!

You're not in Peoria, are you? My friend's been scouring Craigslist for a few weeks now looking for a 70/80's Honda CB750 to replace his 400. I wouldn't put it beyond him to go to WI for one.

EDIT, I see you're in Canada.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm having bike regrets. I guess I just know my bike too well by now. It's like picking the better girl but then thinking about if you made right choice some way down the line.

I checked out a GS1100EZ before finding the GSX750ES

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I had sat in a barn and only started occasionally the past decade, it ran so rich my sweater smelled like gas for hours afterwards, needed to get registered, lacked mirror, turn signal and other stuff. But it was way cheaper than the -ES (and could have talked the guy down more) and while there are tons of similar -ESes on the used market, I can't remember seeing another 1100E. Oh yeah, it wasn't red like the mint one in the pic, but grey with a very gay rainbow suzuki logo probably added by some previous owner.

It would probably have been a pain to get to run right, many spares needed, it's heavier with older style suspension in both ends. But knowing what I know now, bikes are easy to fix. I just....I just have a thirst for torque. What if? WHAT IIIIIIF....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Thoughts like this are why I've owned 16? 17? bikes in 5 years. It's a good way to be but god does it take a toll on your bank account.

Well, that and racing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

So Ducati enters a Hypermotard 1100 in flat track Grand National. Result? Beat the snot out of Harley. Next up is the Springfield Mile. :mmmsmug:

http://www.ducati.com/news/ducati_powered_flat_tracker_makes_history/2010/05/07/1504/index.do

The_Fur
May 23, 2003
The next person who calls me a furry will be hunted down and skinned alive with a rusted tea spoon.
68, I used to use a lot of duct tape in my early days...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

So Ducati enters a Hypermotard 1100 in flat track Grand National. Result? Beat the snot out of Harley. Next up is the Springfield Mile. :mmmsmug:

http://www.ducati.com/news/ducati_powered_flat_tracker_makes_history/2010/05/07/1504/index.do

Countdown until they add more rules that govern the performance of everything but the Harleys.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

Countdown until they add more rules that govern the performance of everything but the Harleys.

Was gonna say exactly this. They did it to the Yamahas and anything else that was competitive, so they'll probably make a rule that says engines can only use springed valves or have a v-angle of no greater than 50 degrees or something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If they did that and I was the head of Ducati, I'd make sure to keep that little team supplied constantly updated hardware as the rules kept changing. I'd even go so far, if required for homologation, as to relaunch the Ducati Indiana with a 45 degree V with two springed valves on each end.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ducati's too busy trying to bend the rules of WSB to worry about some rednecks going in circles in the US. But yeah, that would be cool.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Ducati's too busy trying to bend the rules of WSB to worry about some rednecks going in circles in the US. But yeah, that would be cool.

I can see Ducati doing that just to troll people

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Then Harley enters the WSB...

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ola posted:

The only thing Harley is entering anytime soon is Chapter 11

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

Ola posted:

I think they learned their lesson on that one.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
There's nothing that will make you feel as slow as riding a 250 in a group ride where the other riders consist almost solely of control riders on 600 super sports. The next slowest rider was a 70 something year old man on a ZX14 that was absolutely manhandling that beast. I saw dude drag pipe a few times while riding the guys on 600s' rear end through some hairpins.

I did feel good about being able to keep the group in sight going through the corners while still riding my own ride. However, I was just getting left once the road straightened or we were going uphill. A 250 with a bigger front sprocket isn't really a mountain rocket going uphill.

What point did the rest of you know you were ready to move up to something bigger? I'm by no means an expert, probably just borderline decent, but I think I'm about ready for something bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I just sold the FZR. Selling your first bike feels a lot like losing your first love. But someone that'll enjoy it more than me has it now, so...time to save up money for a CHP BMW 1150.