Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DGib posted:

That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

and that's how you NOT bury an entire division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A WCW moment I just remembered:

Juvi used to do commentary and it was completely awful. The guy was annoying and more than likely drunk. He would bury everyone who came out, making Tony Schiavone look like a million bucks in comparison. Then they're watching a match featuring the Boogie Knights (Disco Inferno and Alex Wright).

Juvi: These guys are the worst tag team I have ever seen.

Me, thinking out loud: Even worse than the Ding Dongs?

(five seconds pass)

Schiavone: Even worse than the Ding Dongs?

Tony Schiavone was reading my mind. I had a hard time sleeping that night.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I want to konw if Gillberg and Goldberg ever met in person. I like to imagine that Gillberg stayed in character while Goldberg just laughed and wandered off.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joshtothemaxx posted:

I want to konw if Gillberg and Goldberg ever met in person. I like to imagine that Gillberg stayed in character while Goldberg just laughed and wandered off.

They did. Bischoff brought Gilberg on Raw to bother Goldberg, so he speared him.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

joshtothemaxx posted:

Other way around, Goldberg probably tried to fight gillberg while gillberg laughed and told him to calm down, it's just a gimmick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fucken_Gieux posted:

They did. Bischoff brought Gilberg on Raw to bother Goldberg, so he speared him.

It was (heel) Rock who bought him out, wasn't it? I distinctly recall when Goldberg's music hit that Rock turned to Gilberg and squeaked,"You been making fun of him for years! He's coming for you!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gavok posted:

A WCW moment I just remembered:

Juvi used to do commentary and it was completely awful. The guy was annoying and more than likely drunk. He would bury everyone who came out, making Tony Schiavone look like a million bucks in comparison. Then they're watching a match featuring the Boogie Knights (Disco Inferno and Alex Wright).

Juvi: These guys are the worst tag team I have ever seen.

Me, thinking out loud: Even worse than the Ding Dongs?

(five seconds pass)

Schiavone: Even worse than the Ding Dongs?

Tony Schiavone was reading my mind. I had a hard time sleeping that night.
You shut your mouth. Juvi RULED as a drunk Mexican color guy.

Do joo think di juice is sexy, baybeh?

As for Goldberg and Gillberg, Goldberg wasn't even willing to give Jericho the time of day until Jericho kicked his rear end. I can't imagine he didn't get all kayfabe backstage on Gillberg.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

It was (heel) Rock who bought him out, wasn't it? I distinctly recall when Goldberg's music hit that Rock turned to Gilberg and squeaked,"You been making fun of him for years! He's coming for you!"

Oh yeah. That also lead to Rock having Gilberg dance for some reason.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Probably unrelated to their self-destruction, but I fondly remember the night early in Goldberg's push where a drunken and pudgy Steve Regal went out stiffed the crap out of Goldberg.

Horray for big muscleheads getting beat up by guys who know how to fight.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Probably unrelated to their self-destruction, but I fondly remember the night early in Goldberg's push where a drunken and pudgy Steve Regal went out stiffed the crap out of Goldberg.

Horray for big muscleheads getting beat up by guys who know how to fight.

That was a pretty good match. I don't think Regal stiffed him *that* much.He just led Goldberg through a match longer than Goldberg or anyone thought it should be, as far asI could see.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
And he kicked out of a jackhammer. That was pretty much the headstone on his WCW career.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pneub posted:

And he kicked out of a jackhammer. That was pretty much the headstone on his WCW career.

no he didn't.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like how there are like ten different variations on the Regal-Goldberg match depending on how good peoples memories are.

They wrestled a normal wrestling match and Goldberg looked a bit out of it because up until that point all his matches had been "hit a couple of power moves, spear, jackhammer, win".

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

dusty udder smoker posted:

no he didn't.

Damnit, you're right, I haven't watched it in a long time.

People talk about how Regal was 'stretching' him because he hadn't paid his dues or whatever, but Goldberg did pretty drat good in that match. Before the internet ruined wrestling, 95% of the fans probably just though it was a solid competitive match.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pneub posted:

People talk about how Regal was 'stretching' him because he hadn't paid his dues or whatever, but Goldberg did pretty drat good in that match. Before the internet ruined wrestling, 95% of the fans probably just though it was a solid competitive match.

The internet was actively ruining wrestling at the time. It was just on Usenet and poo poo.

And it was pretty much the same way then as it is now, everybody hated Goldberg and loved what Regal did and played it up even though it wasn't nearly as big a deal as people made it out to be.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

The internet was actively ruining wrestling at the time. It was just on Usenet and poo poo.

And it was pretty much the same way then as it is now, everybody hated Goldberg and loved what Regal did and played it up even though it wasn't nearly as big a deal as people made it out to be.

14-year-old me though it made Goldberg look better.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It did make him look better, competitive matches make people look better.

I think everyone except bitter smarks probably just thought it was a competitive match.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That match posted on the last page with Steiner dominating four cruiserweights was great. I can just imagine how injured or semi-injured all four of them were after being tossed around by Steiner for a few minutes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To me the most plausible version of the regal-goldberg story is that Regal was given the instruction "Make him look good", went out and did just that by essentially lifting goldberg up and carrying him on his back to a decent wrestling match. Then he caught some poo poo for it because what they had MEANT was "Make him look powerful by him totally destroying you". You, me and 90% of the viewers know he made goldberg look good, but WCW management had decided that squash matches were the way to go with goldberg (and to be totally fair if the opponent was less experienced than regal at making an opponent look good then squash matches were probably the best way of covering Goldbergs limitations as a wrestler).

I dont think it was a huge huge deal, but I dont think it endeared Regal to WCW, and I dont think it did much for Regals company loyalty either.

(Edit to add: I watched the match a couple of years ago, from memory it didnt seem like Regal went out his way to stiff Goldberg or anything like that, or at least not any more than would be usual in an average match. I think one of the sticking points was that WCW wanted goldberg to seem unstoppable, so Regal getting in offence wasnt what they wanted, no matter how good it made Goldberg look)

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 5, 2010

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Pneub posted:

That was the first match that really made me think Goldberg was a big deal back then. At that point, it was only his second memorable match for me, after he kicked out of Hugh Morrus' moonsault. The monster face looks better to me when he gets tested and comes out ahead, rather than when he squashes an obvious nobody.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hugh morris owns.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
I remember always marking for Wrath in WCW

He just had the weirdest physique

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
The story I heard was that regal was told to have a competitive match by someone but, this being WCW, no-one else knew what the gently caress and he was fired for doing his job.

The second time Regal got fired is also pretty funny in a farcical kind of a way; He was in a worked battle royal where all the losers got fired for real. They were told this before going out. It's just... boggling.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Theshby posted:

The second time Regal got fired is also pretty funny in a farcical kind of a way; He was in a worked battle royal where all the losers got fired for real. They were told this before going out. It's just... boggling.

Wow, I've never actually heard this story? Who ever thought this was a good idea? And is there video of it anywhere?

And wouldn't the obvious strategy be Road Dogg's plan of curling up into a ball in the corner and holding on to the bottom rope for dear life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wikipedia says his second firing came after a Career vs Career match for the TV title against Duggan. So it just looks like the usual thing where they were gonna let Regal go but did it on air.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2dtPO3d4Q

The match in question.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Faxman posted:

Wow, I've never actually heard this story? Who ever thought this was a good idea? And is there video of it anywhere?

And wouldn't the obvious strategy be Road Dogg's plan of curling up into a ball in the corner and holding on to the bottom rope for dear life.

Rumor was it was an "On the Bubble" Battle Royal and management wanted Juvi to go over. Arn Anderson pulled the participants together and told them the booking and those who were eliminated would lose their jobs. The collective question was "Is this for real?" and Arn replied "I don't know."

Everyone eliminated was gone within 6 months I think it was.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fucken_Gieux posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2dtPO3d4Q

The match in question.

Haha, I love the commentary at the beginning. "This has to be one of the stiffest tests yet for Goldberg."

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
People are still talking about that Goldberg/Regal match? You'd think this was the biggest thing loving ever in pro wrestling, with the way the Internet has blown it out of proportion. To me, it falls into the category of "It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think it is" like Katie Vick and the Fingerpoke of Doom.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

EricCrapton posted:

People are still talking about that Goldberg/Regal match? You'd think this was the biggest thing loving ever in pro wrestling, with the way the Internet has blown it out of proportion. To me, it falls into the category of "It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think it is" like Katie Vick and the Fingerpoke of Doom.

Katie Vick and the Fingerpoke of Doom were at least something - Regal/Goldberg was basically nothing.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009

Dylar Addict posted:

I remember always marking for Wrath in WCW

He just had the weirdest physique

Weird physique?

Anyway, I liked him, too. I'm not sure why. But he was pretty interesting in WCW for a while. I even liked Kronik, until they got to WWE and it really stuck out how lovely they were.

Plus, they had that Static-X song that Stevie Richards ended up using for like 10 years.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EricCrapton posted:

The problem I felt is that Steve Regal made Goldberg look like a million bucks in my eyes. Goldberg was pulling out moves I've never seen him use and it made it look like Goldberg could adapt to any situation. Then it ended with a massive spear and Jackhammer like every Goldberg match. When I saw it, I was way more impressed with Goldberg. Then I read it was a shoot or something and Regal got fired for it. I was loving confused.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Well I do remember Regal just sort of stopping immediately after Goldberg attempted to throw him into the ropes, which I don't think you can claim is anything but Regal purposely being difficult to work with.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can't you all just watch the match through the YouTube link that was posted instead of insisting on what you remember?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

EricCrapton posted:

Weird physique?

He had like an insect abdomen. He had huge legs, huge arms, huge pecs, and like the waist of a twelve year old Ethiopian girl

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dylar Addict posted:

He had like an insect abdomen. He had huge legs, huge arms, huge pecs, and like the waist of a twelve year old Ethiopian girl
He looked like he was from a comic book or something. It was loving bizarre.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
So....you're saying he had a weird physique because he was in really good shape?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Being literally shaped like an hour glass is not having a good physique, its not having like 80% of your intestines

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EricCrapton posted:

So....you're saying he had a weird physique because he was in really good shape?
Okay. He looked like something out of a Rob Liefeld comic book. It was loving bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Okay. He looked like something out of a Rob Liefeld comic book. It was loving bizarre.

All the rocks and smoke constantly obscuring his ankles was a health and safety nightmare too.