Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Hooray! :neckbeard: Looks great, and I'm glad to hear the handling improved.

I'm impressed you can get any jack at all under the front center lift point. I haven't tried, though perhaps rather than a jack I should just put together a lever with a long 2x4 and a large brick...

Thanks again for suggesting I buy such a great little car. I'm still really enjoying mine.

Glad to hear you like yours :) I actually kind of fell into mine, as my Mustang died and I needed a car in a hurry. This popped up for sale on Craigslist nearby, and $600 later I was driving it home. I love mine, although I do wish it was a 5sp / 4WS, and didn't have the body damage / rust. The only time mine has ever left me stuck is when water got into my main relay (through a water leak where the windshield adhesive had let go) and killed it. Although, I fear my transmission is dying...the slipping seems to be getting worse. :ohdear:

I've always loved the XT as well...the proportions are so goofy, yet so awesome :3: The dash on the Prelude is just so standard and boring next to the rad 80's video game layout of the XT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I got a can of

And proceeded to

Tonnes of smoke, but it was incredibly windy so it was blown away fairly quickly. Probably a good thing, as the house I live in backs onto the new building here at the university, and I'm pretty sure those people looking on just about called the fire department.

Oh, then I changed the oil. The throttle response post-seafoam is ridiculous, the car feels so much more responsive now. It's a 97 sunfire gt with about 210km.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Getting the cargo bed, rear fenders, and tailgate on the h1 line-xed.

And learned a valuable lesson.

Never tell a paint shop:

":haw: Don't worry about sanding the bed and cargo area and repainting it, I'm blasting it with bed covering anyways...."

:doh:

The body shop power washed and painted over the bed, leaving some dirt/sand/old paint chips under the bed area. Which means the liner is going to adhere to the sloppy paint job and peel the whole works from the metal.

Oh well, got a friend who is going to media blast the bed and cargo area down to the aluminum and respray with zinc chromate or another marine grade aluminum primer.

Should have left it all banged up and scratched.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Finally got my daily driver tinted 35 front, 25 back. I wasn't driving a black car for a third summer without tint.

Click here for the full 650x480 image.

Drove 45 minutes to have the best guy in town do it, and it turned out great.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 29, 2010

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Changed the oil (filter and drain plug too), cabin air filter, air filter and the fuel filter along with the LiquiMoly purge of the injectors.

Also, protip for 1.9PD owners out there; see the white valve (pic belongs to tdiblog.com)?

If you break it; that part costs $50 at your local VW dealership and takes a day to arrive.

The same part costs $30 w/overnight shipping from ECSTuning.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Not today, but yesterday, I finished the project I started last November. And by finished, I mean it moves on its own safely. My sister is going to be doing her clinicals at Wright-Patterson AFB on Monday, and she wants her car back.

Yesterday, I did the back brakes on her car. Drums again. This time they both worked until there wasn't enough pad left to brake with. One wheel cylinder was leaking, $12 + seized flare nuts. A propane torch and a fully fitted 6-point wrench broke it loose, finally. The passenger side adjuster was seized solid. PB Blaster did nothing. I sledge hammered it into a vise, then hammered the adjuster back and forth until it moved in a somewhat fluid fashion.

Today, $100 got it fully aligned with the new tie rod ends, lowering springs and struts. Only the front camber is off, .02 degrees out of spec and unable to be adjusted. Drives great.

I got a box of assorted push nuts, so I can pull apart the lovely adjuster and emery cloth it smooth. Then I need to silikroil up the passenger e-brake cable so that it relaxes. After that, I just need to reattach the three splash guards I took off for the timing belt and water pump. By SUNDAY EVENING!

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

Got the replacement thermostatic valve for my fuel filter. My car lives!

I also did a proper inspection of the rear brakes and they're in good shape.

Also I finished the install of my Homelink module.
It only works with the key in the ignition, the insides look like Red Green put it together, but it works.

Global688
Dec 28, 2006
I put a custom 5.0 mustang manual steering rack into my 87 supra.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Had a coworker help me bleed my brakes and put new pads in. I switched to Hawk HP+ front and rear in anticipation of an open track day in June. I won't be going hard (still a newbie) so the HP+ should be fine.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Finally finished completely rebuilding my entire suspension. Final piece was a set of new rear tierods! It doesn't clunk or wobble anymore! The only bad thing is my steering wheel is now pointing to 11 oclock which is confusing me since I was working on the rear of the car, but I'll see what my alignment shop says Tuesday when I take it in.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Last night: Replaced my thermostat, which had been stuck open for a while. Spilled antifreeze all over my apartment parking lot. Managed to clean it up before any pets got into it.

Today: Replaced my old squeaky front brakes with Wagner pads and rotors. FYI, ThermoQuiet pads are available through the end of May with a $15/axle rebate.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I hosed around with ProScan some before sending off the ZX2. It gave me some good data on fuel economy. I think. I don't know.

Apparently it has 4,000 HP.

No wait, I think that this is possibly more realistic.

Stupid lump of poo poo software.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Skyssx posted:

I hosed around with ProScan some before sending off the ZX2. It gave me some good data on fuel economy. I think. I don't know.

Apparently it has 4,000 HP.

No wait, I think that this is possibly more realistic.

Stupid lump of poo poo software.

What color was the ZX2? I might know you.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Matlock posted:

What color was the ZX2? I might know you.

Dark blue, but I doubt it. The car hasn't been on the road since November last year.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Got the car back from the paint/body shop after 4 and a half months.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Skyssx posted:

Dark blue, but I doubt it. The car hasn't been on the road since November last year.

Thank god. If it were champagne, I'd be a little freaked. Mostly because I saw the Sarah part and thought about someone I knew in Cincinnati with said car.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I finally finished up my rear diff swap yesterday. I reinstalled the tail section of the exhaust today (which was a bitch to do by myself), buttoned everything up, and took it for a spin to test it out. Everything seems good, with a nice extra kick at the wheels due to the new gears. :neckbeard: No leaks, no whining, no extra weird noises. Success! I also ran a few wires and reassembled my trunk that I had apart for an unrelated project.

Now I've got this big heavy stupid undesirable ratio differential the size of my head taking up space in my house, but I hate throwing away working stuff. :sigh: Plus, the trash guys probably won't take it anyway. I don't suppose anyone on here local to Long Island has any use for a large 2.93 open BMW diff?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Pulled my 1980 300cd's glowplugs and found 2/5 to be bad, by the multimeter and "jumper cable them to the giant battery" tests. I replaced three with new and put the old working ones in the easy-to-remove locations. A happy diesel! :neckbeard:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Black88GTA posted:

I finally finished up my rear diff swap yesterday.

Now I've got this big heavy stupid undesirable ratio differential the size of my head taking up space in my house, but I hate throwing away working stuff. :sigh: Plus, the trash guys probably won't take it anyway. I don't suppose anyone on here local to Long Island has any use for a large 2.93 open BMW diff?
Take it to your local junkyard. In a few months, that will make someone's day.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Pulled my 1980 300cd's glowplugs and found 2/5 to be bad, by the multimeter and "jumper cable them to the giant battery" tests. I replaced three with new and put the old working ones in the easy-to-remove locations. A happy diesel! :neckbeard:

A happy diesel going in to summer. :P I applaud your untimely effort. :golfclap:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Take it to your local junkyard. In a few months, that will make someone's day.

That's not a bad idea, but the nearest one I know of is a bit of a hike from here, and I'd have to go on a weekend or my lunch break, neither of which are attractive options. I'll probably end up tossing it on CL or Bimmerforums for like $50 or something and see if anyone bites.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Mr.Peabody posted:

I swapped out my stock door pins for Mercedes' new AMG brushed aluminum pins. The tall, plastic black abominations were a major eye sore.

Better hope your power door locks don't fail with you in the car.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Blooot posted:

Better hope your power door locks don't fail with you in the car.

I bet just pulling on the door handle (interior) will unlock the car. My GTI, like most all VWs that I know of, have flush locks when the door is locked.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Audis have no door pins at all. I'm sure they've thought that through. :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oneiric posted:

drat, this looks amazing. How much did it run you?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

drat, this looks amazing. How much did it run you?

All said and done with body work(fixing some rust spots) a few new trim pieces and the paint just under 5k.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

wav3form posted:

I bet just pulling on the door handle (interior) will unlock the car. My GTI, like most all VWs that I know of, have flush locks when the door is locked.

Yeah, the handle unlocks the door from inside. Apparently the 2007-2009 models were retarded because the 2010 stock pins now sit flush.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Oneiric posted:

All said and done with body work(fixing some rust spots) a few new trim pieces and the paint just under 5k.

It came out really nice!

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

Got back my oil analysis results:

"Nice engine" :smug:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I swapped back to street pads and rotated the tires on the TT toady. It's sat undriven since I got back from VIR on April 21. I was satisfied with the Dunlop Direzzas after having them on the track for the first time. The got pretty greasy once overheated (and seemed to overheat faster than the PS2s they replaced; I'll have to add that to my notes), but seemed to grip well otherwise. The stiffer sidewall was definitely a bonus, as they rolled over much less than the PS2s. Here's a comparison shot between the left-front PS2 after a 1-day event at Nelson Ledges (clockwise) and a 2-day event at Summit Point Shenandoah (counterclockwise), and the left-front Dunlop after the 2-day VIR (clockwise) event. Note the arrows on the PS2 are gone, even when the pressures are kept to ~40 psi hot.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I've had a horrible buzzing from my driver's side front door since I got the car - mostly on bass notes from music. A few of the terrible internet circlejerks devoted to making Sentras as uncomfortable and useless as possible recommended opening the door panel and zip-tie fixing everything to something rigid to prevent rattles.

Well, I got the door panel off and was greeted by a wondrous assortment of small metallic and wooden objets:

That's 77 cents, a paperclip, an old rusty razor blade, and three slightly used match sticks.

Not pictured: DVD price sticker for Monty Python and the Holy Grail ($29.99). That had blown away right after the dump-out.

All of this crap was just sitting on the bottom lip of the panel, so it exploded out when I pulled all the clips loose.

He also added a lot of interesting liquids to the inside of the armrest, but I didn't have the patience to clean that out today.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

My Dad let me borrow his pressure washer. So I combined that with soap, claybar, wax and tire foam:

Smooth as glass.

Also put on the stubby antenna.

calvran
Mar 4, 2004
After spending the week tracking down tools and gaskets to work on my Porsche 944, I woke up yesterday morning happy to have an entire day free to get to work. I went out to my truck to get my tools, aaaaaand...

All of my loving tools were stolen. My stereo and numerous other things of value were still there, but they just took the tools. The boxes they took were filled mostly with tools that I'd bought just to work on the Porsche, as they are things I have never needed before on any other car. Luckily my power tools and a bunch of other stuff weren't in the truck, but all the tools I'd been gathering to do the job were taken.

So I got to waste half my day and a bunch of $$$ driving around buying the same tools I'd bought earlier in the week.

I set to work fixing the massive massive oil leak that my car sprang. As best I could tell, it was coming from the cam tower gasket (like a valve cover except it requires removing the timing belt and the whole loving cam to get to). Everything went swimmingly until it came time to torque the cam tower back on. It took me two hours of driving around to find a socket large enough to turn the cam back into position.

While reassembling the distributor, I noticed that the screw that holds the rotor on seemed kind of stripped. Actually, a lot of things were stripped. The previous owner had the reverse-midas touch, where everything he touched turned to poo poo, with a lot of broken brackets and stripped bolts I've been replacing along the way. I got the rotor screw back in, or so I thought, and took the car for a test drive.

I fixed *one* oil leak, but not *the* oil leak. I tried to get on the freeway to get back home, and while charging up the onramp, DISASTER. The car died and I was worried that the notoriously evil timing belt had snapped. I checked that and it was okay, so then I thought about the sketchy distributor. I did some poking around and sure enough, that screw had fallen out of the rotor. I electrical-taped the rotor back in position and tried to start the car, but the effort of powering the hazards during all of this killed the battery (I suspect a short). I was on an upward incline on the onramp, so I waited for no traffic then let it roll backwards and push started it, hoping that the electrical taped rotor would work. It did, and I drove the car home. I have a lot of work left to do. :cry:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
New bushed rockers and a matching shaft honed to .002" for my MG

I need to get a caliper to see how far out of tolerance the old ones were, but there was visible play all the way across. The originals weren't bushed, so the cast iron-to-steel interface and notoriously bad rocker oiling in the Triumph 1500 didn't add up to long life.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think I knackered the head gasket. :eng99: It's my own fault, I tried driving around a bit with a chronic coolant leak and noticed today that my car is doing it's best kettle impression from the exhaust. When the weather dries out I'm gonna check the oil and hope for the best. :ohdear:

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I parked my '88 Accord in my parking lot at work and some dumbass on a cell phone and in a work van backed into my rear driver's side door. I walked out to take a look at it and it turned out to be just a slight dent (on a door already covered in dents) and began calling the local PD to come file a report. He stopped me and offered me a cash settlement of $100, which I gladly took.

The dent is barely even noticeable and the body looks like poo poo, anyway, so I'm not at all concerned about it. I'm sure I probably could have gotten a bit more from insurance, but that was a potential huge hassle that I really didn't feel like dealing with.

It was funny, because there were already 2 accidents in my parking lot within the last 3 hours, and I had just gotten done bullshitting with my manager that it'd be nice if someone hit my car so I could make a bit of money.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Changed the oil in my brother's car. His car takes only the finest motor oils:

Didn't have a useable funnel, had to improvise

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Oneiric posted:

Any reason why it took 4 months?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I got a new garage.

Old and busted:

New hotness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

Changed the oil in my brother's car. His car takes only the finest motor oils:

Didn't have a useable funnel, had to improvise

I have purchased at least 4 sets of funnels from Harbor Freight and I can never find them when I need one. I always end up cutting up a bottle.