Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ledneh posted:

gently caress, what series was I thinking of then. King's something? I don't remember.

Anyway, yeah, agreeing with the Deus Ex folks: get your points OUT of Pistols at creation if you don't intend to use them, and do one level--and ONLY one--in Swimming.

King's Quest and the series as a whole is pretty ridiculous in its trial and error if you don't have a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Okay turns out I DO have another La Mulana question. If I've summoned and killed the boss of an area (I've done Guidance Gate and Mausoleum of the Giants bosses so far), does that mean I've completed all the puzzles in that boss's area and I can stop exploring now, damnit?

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Ledneh posted:

Okay turns out I DO have another La Mulana question. If I've summoned and killed the boss of an area (I've done Guidance Gate and Mausoleum of the Giants bosses so far), does that mean I've completed all the puzzles in that boss's area and I can stop exploring now, damnit?

Nope, though you probably have a large chunk of the things done by the time you get a boss. All it takes to get a boos is revealing the Ankh and having a Red Jewel. Most areas have puzzles you aren't able to complete until much much later.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

you can also beat bosses using ankhs you get from other levels. You can't screw yourself out of beating the game but when you look at it in retrospect the game's design is a total mindfuck.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anything for Tropico 3? Just got it from GameFly (X360).

edit: Whoops! Thread search helped. VVV Thanks.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 4, 2010

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

Anything for Tropico 3? Just got it from GameFly (X360).

See my post a few pages back (Page 102).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Oh yeah that's another thing, raise Computers to at least Trained early on. You can do without it for a few levels as you find passwords fairly easily, but later on being able to hack is invaluable.

Level one in Computers should be taken at Liberty Island if possible. However, level two is of dubious use; mostly it lets you turn turrets against enemies, which is only useful if you are doing a run that is stealthy but not nonlethal. Master in Computers is a waste.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
No it's not, higher levels of computing allow you to read peoples emails for longer. I always max or near max computers just to make snooping less annoying, it's not like the game is hard after you get regeneration.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Transcendence has some really great items in the first star system that are easy to miss.

Visit the various small stations in Eridani, you'll probably hear about Raisu Station. When you first go there it will be surrounded by Centauri raiders, but they are slow and easy to beat. If the lady in Raisu Station is still afraid of Arco Vaughan and doesn't do anything to help you, go destroy some Centauri bases and then come back to Raisu. Eventually she will give you the coordinates for Arco Vaughan's container habitat and a portable missile launcher.

INSTALL THESE MISSILES BEFORE GOING AFTER ARCO. When you fight Arco, your weapons probably won't do much to him if you are using lasers or kinetic weapons. He is very vulnerable to blast damage though, which is what the missiles do. Since you probably don't have targeting software at this point, you'll have to get close enough to him for him to show up on your screen for your missiles to get a lock. If he is coming straight at you, do not fire directly at him as he will shoot down some of your missiles - fire perpendicular to him, and the missiles should curve around and hit him without going through his field of fire, or maneuver around him. You should still have some missiles left when you finish him, if you run out and he's still alive, run and come back another day when you have something other than lasers or mass drivers. It's worth it.

On his wrecked ship you are likely to find some unidentified barrels - these are nanites that will make your armor very resistant to laser and kinetic damage, some of the best armor buffs in the game. I always save these until I've upgraded my armor, a good time to apply them is when you get to the system with the arena once you've upgraded your armor to the best you can buy (there are always a couple of armor stores in that system). This will make arena combat very safe against most of the opponents and help a lot in the Charon system which is coming up soon. Don't save the barrels for too long - for one thing, I'm pretty sure they will not work on very advanced armor, and once you get past St. Katherine's star you're going to encounter less and less enemies that use lasers or kinetics.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I'm thinking of picking up "Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth" on steam for ten bucks. Is it worth it? I like survival horror games and I have read every HP Lovecraft thing I can get my filthy hands on. I don't mind it being a bit dated, as long as it's well done. I didn't want to post a new thread for recommendations, I figured this was this best place to ask, if not, let me know and I'll edit appropriately.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm thinking of picking up "Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth" on steam for ten bucks. Is it worth it? I like survival horror games and I have read every HP Lovecraft thing I can get my filthy hands on. I don't mind it being a bit dated, as long as it's well done. I didn't want to post a new thread for recommendations, I figured this was this best place to ask, if not, let me know and I'll edit appropriately.

It's definitely worth it for $10. Just keep in mind that for a good amount of the first part of the game you won't even have a weapon to deal with enemies who want to kill you and should run/sneak past them. Even when you get weapons and ammo stealth is still a good thing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Perhaps not a "first time" question since I've had the game a while, but there isn't an all-purpose thread for this sort of thing. That said, Anno 1701. I always seem to haemorrhage gold whenever I play right up until the Merchant era. The taxes just aren't bringing in any profit. Is there a trick to this game?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If I could only give one small piece of advice about playing Deus Ex, it would be to play a stealth character the first time through. Sure, you could play it as a run-and-gun tank type character, but the gunfighting mechanics aren't the best in the world and playing like this could make things get boring fairly quickly. If you build your character around stealth, however, the tension stays tight throughout pretty much the entire game.

Also, take the GEP gun. It has so, so many practical uses. Even for a stealth character.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dante's Inferno and Bayonetta. I've minced my way through Darksiders on Apocalyptic difficulty, so I'm quite eager to try my hand at other challenging GoW-esque games. Is it worth starting either of these two on the hardest difficulty, or do they simply ramp up the amount of damage enemies do without really balancing much else?

I'm after a challenge, not a grind. D:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Dante's Inferno and Bayonetta. I've minced my way through Darksiders on Apocalyptic difficulty, so I'm quite eager to try my hand at other challenging GoW-esque games. Is it worth starting either of these two on the hardest difficulty, or do they simply ramp up the amount of damage enemies do without really balancing much else?

I'm after a challenge, not a grind. D:

Dante's Inferno ups the amount and health of enemies that spawn. Its not a particularly hard game, especially if you go holy and get all the health regenerative techniques. The highest difficulty, inferno, is locked on start and is no different than previous difficulties. The dodge mechanic is useful only when enemies preform a glowing attack, otherwise guard and counter all day.

Bayonettawhile doable on hard as a fresh run-through is usually different enough from other GoW clones that people have problems. Especially in an early stage where it requires you to understand how to gain magic and use it on enemies quickly, something on your first run-through you probably won't be well versed at. The hardest difficulty mode removes you ability to use the games "Witch Time" mechanic making it quite a step up in the challenge.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
In Bayo you can't play hard or nsic until you play normal anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rivals posted:

In Bayo you can't play hard or nsic until you play normal anyway.

Forgot about that. Your right. It makes the difficulty curve a lot nicer, especially since you've at least got some weapons and money to play with. And some understanding of the lollipops.

About Bayonetta, early on you'll receive Gold Records which unlock music. Eventually these will be replaced by pieces of a record. If you find a piece of a record the specific stage you are currently in has the rest of the pieces. Scour the poo poo out of the level to get them all as the weapons available are at minimum interesting.

LogicReason
Oct 9, 2007
Alright, trying to get into Master of Magic as I picked it up off of GoG. Any advice?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LogicReason posted:

Alright, trying to get into Master of Magic as I picked it up off of GoG. Any advice?

Getting it to run is a game unto itself. MoM was created during that awkward time for PCs when 640K wasn't enough, but there were no standards for memory management. Hopefully the peeps at GoG bundled some compatibility software, or at least instructions.

Even with the final 1.31 patch, MoM still has bugs. Big ones. Some of the worst are...

The Soundblaster code is crashy, use PC speaker or nothing.

The Magic Vortex and Animate Dead spells will cause the game to become unstable and crash soon, whether cast by the player or AI. The Subversion spell does nothing, and Time Stop often causes the game to flake out.(workaround: use a hex editor to change the costs to 9999.)

Playing for more than an hour or two will eventually result in erratic behavior and a crash.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Gynovore posted:

Getting it to run is a game unto itself. MoM was created during that awkward time for PCs when 640K wasn't enough, but there were no standards for memory management. Hopefully the peeps at GoG bundled some compatibility software, or at least instructions.

Even with the final 1.31 patch, MoM still has bugs. Big ones. Some of the worst are...

The Magic Vortex and Animate Dead spells will cause the game to become unstable and crash soon, whether cast by the player or AI. The Subversion spell does nothing, and Time Stop often causes the game to flake out.(workaround: use a hex editor to change the costs to 9999.)

Playing for more than an hour or two will eventually result in erratic behavior and a crash.

I suddenly feel better for resisting the urge to buy this.

LogicReason
Oct 9, 2007

21stCentury posted:

Well, the GoG.com version is bundled up in DOSbox like most of their older games, and from my messing around, it hasn't crashed on me yet. So here's crossing fingers and hoping.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Gynovore posted:

The GoG version runs right off the bat with full mouse and sound support in Windows XP and Vista/7. I bought it, and its working fine. You don't need to do anything.

Don't know if the Vortex/Animate Dead spell bugs are still present....

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Planning on buying FFX2 sometime soon any advice on how to avoiding missing anything important.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Seriously, look up DOSBox, you'll be able to run every one of your DOS games that refuse to work on Win98 and newer.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 5, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Monk E posted:

Planning on buying FFX2 sometime soon any advice on how to avoiding missing anything important.

By using a guide. Seriously the game's design is so that it's impossible to figure out the correct order of events that will nab you that 100%. You have to go to specific places at specific points in time, perform specific actions, and talk to specific people in the small window they're available. It's perfectly completable without a guide and you can get 100% on your first try but only if you follow a guide by the letter.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Monk E posted:

In general, visit every location at least once per chapter and talk to people multiple times if you think they'll have something interesting to say. Don't skip scenes you see for the first time with the square button (you won't get completion points) and in some cases you don't want to skip dialogue with the X button either. If you're ever given a choice on what to do/say take the other option on the next play through. Sometimes failing a mission, approaching it a different way, or completing it a different way can net you different results. One example that comes to mind is the Moonflow mission in chapter 1.

There's no innate benefit to getting 100% story completion in a single playthrough fyi. You retain your percentage across New Game+. I think there's a theoretical max of like 110-115% total you can get across multiple playthroughs so using a guide isn't necessary for that, though it helps obviously.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The proper thing to do in FFX2 is whenever the game tells you to go somewhere, go everywhere else first. If you follow the story missions exactly as you are told them not only will you miss every side quest, but you will be way underleveled.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monk E posted:

Thanks to one gigglefeimer for informing me I was incorrect on one of the tasks necessary to 100% the game.
Apparently I was trolled, as listening to that rambling pointless piece of poo poo of an NPC is apparently not necessary to 100% the game. I apologize. Thanks whoevers guide from launch day I followed, you made me hate this game more than I had to.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 5, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

21stCentury posted:

Perhaps I stopped too soon. Master of Magic has a laundry list of bugs, some balance issues, no multiplayer, and the AI is dumber than dirt... yet I would still recommend buying it if you can get it for $10 or less. MoM is a very, very deep game, with a dozen races, hundreds of units, hundreds of spells, dozens of heroes, and zillions of ways to customize at the start. With a customizable random map generator thrown in (actually there _are_ no premade maps), it has massive replayability.

If you get it, PM me with any questions, I could write a book on it.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

Listen to me, do not go for 100%. Go on youtube and watch that ending if you want to. Do not attempt to unlock it. There is a scene where a man literally rambles at you as the camera slowly zooms out for about 15 minutes and if you skip his dialog or decline to hear the rest of it you will not get a 100% game save. His story is bad. Very bad. Don't go for 100%

Keep on trolling, buddy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gigglefeimer posted:

Keep on trolling, buddy.

It is not really trolling to point out something as obvious as FFX-2 being mind-bogglingly retarded to 100%.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
As someone who has beaten FFX-2 with 100% at least three times, for no real reason beyond some kind of fevered madness, I have to agree.

Do not try to get 100% in FFX-2, it's not worth it. If you absolutely must, then use a guide to do so. You will not get it by yourself. Just loving trust everyone who tells you this. It is literally loving impossible. You'll miss something, and the game will never tell you.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
This thread is getting too big. I just wasted 5 minutes Ctrl-Fing through for a specific series of informative posts about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Must have been in another thread.

Anyway I'm finally getting around to playing DMOMAM and I remembered this discussion about classes which said that one of the classes wasn't fun and another was completely useless. Any suggestion what I should play as then? I went through Hexen as a melee class and Morrowind/Oblivion as a spellcasting assassin so I'll play anything as long as it isn't slow.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Senethro posted:

This thread is getting too big. I just wasted 5 minutes Ctrl-Fing through for a specific series of informative posts about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Must have been in another thread.

Anyway I'm finally getting around to playing DMOMAM and I remembered this discussion about classes which said that one of the classes wasn't fun and another was completely useless. Any suggestion what I should play as then? I went through Hexen as a melee class and Morrowind/Oblivion as a spellcasting assassin so I'll play anything as long as it isn't slow.

I played pure mage putting only a few points in bow so I could zoom in. You want to get the power that boosts your mana regeneration and at that point you can toss fireballs like they're water. I boosted my physical stats high enough to wield those elemental daggers which made melee combat bearable but I almost always relied on magic. All characters should get the healing spell regardless.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I know the The Dark Spire is brutal, but is there anything inparticular I should do/watch out for?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Senethro posted:

I've played as all three classes, and my least favourite was the mage because he lacks the up-front action that makes the game awesome, but I wouldn't call it useless. My favourite was by far the thief, which I used on the hardest difficulty. Keeping to the shadows, stabbing enemies in the back, kicking them into spikes and off cliffs without them even knowing you're there, that's awesome. I cleared out an entire room of orcs (or whatever the 'ugly' race is called), and they didn't even know I was there.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Eggn0g posted:

I know the The Dark Spire is brutal, but is there anything inparticular I should do/watch out for?

I suggest looking up the stat requirements for prestige classes on gamefaqs or whatever and make sure you have enough stats to meet those at some point. Especially Charisma which can't be raised like other stats. It's a lot of fun playing for 20 hours and then figuring out you can't be a paladin or whatever and you have to reroll.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does anyone know or can direct me to a site that has lots of information with Materia abuse in FFVII? For some reason, I never bothered to try out the various uses of Added Effect/Elemental/etc., beyond absorbing magic and attacking with elements. I want to utterly break this game and find out what random combinations are possible that average people wouldn't find out.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Stack Final Attack with Life2, so when you die, your character revives themself.

Mime is the greatest thing ever. You can do repeated chains of huge summons, like Knights of the Round.

Find the store that sells "All" materia and hook them all up to a character that has 2x/3x materia growth. Once that materia is mastered, just keep mastering All and you never have to worry about money again.

I really didn't mess around too much with the Added Effect/Elemental, because it hosed me over a few times with bosses that were healed with that poison/fire/lightning/etc perk.

The Enemy Skill materia is the best thing to acquire. There's one monster thing that does a spell called healing wind or white wind that puts Barrier+MBarrier and heals your entire party in one shot.

Ted Stevens fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ted Stevens posted:

The Enemy Skill materia is the best thing to acquire. There's one monster thing that does a spell called healing wind or white wind that puts Barrier+MBarrier and heals your entire party in one shot.

There are only 4 enemy materia in the game, so don't miss them.

The enemy that casts this spell hangs out by costa del sol, and is the big bird looking thing. You have to use mind-control on him to cast it on you, but once you learn healing wind you can pretty much chuck the heal materia in the trash.