Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

:madmax: Meep Meep wide load coming through :backtowork:

How'd you end up wiring those blinkers? Same circuit as the ones in the under-tail location? If so, are they noticeably dimmer, or does the blinker circuit run off a relay direct from the battery? Did you use some kind of spade/bullet connection so you can take the cases off easily? I ask because I'm planning to create the lighting on my bike pretty much from scratch using some combination of the stock harness, relays and various LED fixtures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Boat posted:

How'd you end up wiring those blinkers? Same circuit as the ones in the under-tail location? If so, are they noticeably dimmer, or does the blinker circuit run off a relay direct from the battery? Did you use some kind of spade/bullet connection so you can take the cases off easily? I ask because I'm planning to create the lighting on my bike pretty much from scratch using some combination of the stock harness, relays and various LED fixtures.

Blinkers will be wired up soon. I am going to use the same harness as before and just add about 15" or so of additional wire. Lights won't dim as a result from that, or need relays or anything.

Since I am thinking about mounting a power inverter inside one of the cases to charge a laptop while riding I might create some sort of harness with a waterproof connector that goes under the passenger seat. That would allow for "easy" removal if the time comes.

Zaknafein
Nov 16, 2004
Half Filipino. Half Venezuelan. That makes me black, I think.
finally...
2008 R 1200 GSA with a bunch of extras that the previous owner left on there

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Zaknafein posted:

finally...

So which is it, Long way Down, or Round?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Pubic Lair posted:

I headed to a local bike night but it was dead and since I had cleaned it up I grabbed a few night shots

Did you mount a lightbulb to the bottom of your fuel tank?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Zool posted:

Did you mount a lightbulb to the bottom of your fuel tank?

Those are led engine lights, they look really bright due to the 15 second shutter. Usually all you can see is a blue glow.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Pubic Lair posted:

Nice... I love the Zephyr. What size is it?

Zaknafein posted:

2008 R 1200 GSA

drat, very nice... must be Hexhead week.

Picked this up last Friday:

2005 R1200ST... with only 2000 miles! If you can stomach the huge schnozz-fairing and tombstone headlight, it's a great bike. For only 7 grand, I figured I could deal with the looks.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

tarzanspuma posted:

It's a 1990 550

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dietcokefiend posted:

Pelican 1550s? Any reason you went for side instead of top loading?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

blugu64 posted:

This way he can still transport bicycles and/or lawnmowers

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Costs less, easier to mount lights on the top, and the top loading design would have been weird to open. If you have the lid pivot at the seat you need to space the cases off the bike by like 2-3" to handle the lid height. If you have it flip out at the road you need to lean over the cover.

The vertical lid design is also a nice table for eating/working off of. It also gives me access to the full depth of the case when open which works out well if you want to get at something at rest stops easily.

niethan posted:

This way he can still transport bicycles and/or lawnmowers

Both designs would have left the middle section open. The bike didn't look good long term with the amount of flex the design had. Don't trust it. I will be using that spot though to hold my camping gear and strap it down between the cases. Tent+sleeping bag+ sleeping pad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tarzanspuma posted:

2005 R1200ST... with only 2000 miles! If you can stomach the huge schnozz-fairing and tombstone headlight, it's a great bike. For only 7 grand, I figured I could deal with the looks.

I can indeed stomach its looks, love that bike. Seems BMW were more ambivalent, it didn't stay in the lineup for long.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zaknafein posted:

finally...

is that a cut down seat? what's the height on it now?

Zaknafein
Nov 16, 2004
low seat and suspension. I am 5'10" with a 33 inseam.

EDIT: and I can flat foot that bike with my riding boots.

Zaknafein fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 7, 2010

Zaknafein
Nov 16, 2004

tarzanspuma posted:

drat, very nice... must be Hexhead week.

Picked this up last Friday:

Thanks for the props.

That's a great deal for that bike. Nothing wrong with the fairing on yours.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

From the SV thread..

Big bonus for flake detail :)

Lookin good after a polish and wax!

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
I really like that shade of blue. Also I'm gas-cap envious, my GS500's is boring by comparison!

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

With no more gigantic Impala Wagon taking up the garage space, my XR650 now has a home. (ASV Sticker yet no ASV Levers!)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Chill_Bebop posted:

With no more gigantic Impala Wagon taking up the garage space, my XR650 now has a home. (ASV Sticker yet no ASV Levers!)

Way too clean

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

I was considering doing something similar with a Pelican 1500 series (Leaning towards a pair of 1510s or 1500s) case on my SR500. Did you build that yourself or is it prefabricated?

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 9, 2010

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

I was considering doing something similar with a Pelican 1500 series (Leaning towards a pair of 1510s or 1500s) case on my SR500. Did you build that yourself or is it prefabricated?

The cases are stock, the frame on the bike was custom made but I picked it up on another motorcycle forum that a dude was selling. All of the mounts are off the shelf vibration isolated clamps with some stainless steel hardware. Bracing inside the case is stock lumber plates from Home Depot.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finally can join the ranks of "real" bikes and actually keep up with the people I ride with.

2003 XB9R. Race ECM, and I'm probably putting the race muffler back on it since it doesn't quite run right without it. I'd say the $1000 I paid (on top of the money from the old Harleys my dad sold) was a good deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Deeters posted:

I finally can join the ranks of "real" bikes and actually keep up with the people I ride with.

2003 XB9R. Race ECM, and I'm probably putting the race muffler back on it since it doesn't quite run right without it. I'd say the $1000 I paid (on top of the money from the old Harleys my dad sold) was a good deal.

Nice! I've always wanted to ride one of those but have never had the chance.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Deeters posted:

I saw a bike that had a similar front to this as I was driving today and took a second look cause I had no clue what brand it was. Now I know.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Deeters posted:

Welcome to the Buell club. Your bike has the upgraded seat and Corsa 3's, nice. The race ECM definitely need more breathing room than the stock pipe provides. Besides, the stock muffler is heavy as hell. How many miles does it have? I just passed 10k last week.

I remember reading about an issue with pre-04 belt drives, so this may be something to keep a look out for if yours hasn't been converted yet.

Read this for more info: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/112230.html?1115192732

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

I work in a glass studio, and the professor let me ride through it and take pictures as a graduation present.

Vstar 250 what (should have gotten a rebel)

Had to ride it up the loading ramp, and try and avoid getting it too close to the furnace, I kept thinking about bubbling paint :byodood:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My gently used 2000 SV650. All stock, has 26K on the odo. My garage was cleaned up a bit this weekend, you can see my other two wheeled love behind the SV. I love bikes!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Stormangel posted:

Welcome to the Buell club. Your bike has the upgraded seat and Corsa 3's, nice. The race ECM definitely need more breathing room than the stock pipe provides. Besides, the stock muffler is heavy as hell. How many miles does it have? I just passed 10k last week.

It's got a little over 31k. The guy I bought it from took really good care of it (he was a pro racer back in the 70s), and both he and my dad work at the local dealer so it got everything it needed really quick. The touring seat and Lightning bars were to make it more comfortable for him since he has back/neck problems from breaking his back in racing accidents (twice).

He also made all sorts little tweaks like elongating one of the holes on the belt tensioner to make it shift smoother and tipping the fairing slightly to get more downforce on the front wheel. I don't know how much of a difference he really made, but it's awesome to hear him go on about what he does to it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
wheeeeee

7 hours on a KLR is tiring, especially when you've only gone 150 miles

more pictures from becktastic here http://becktastic.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/mt-lemmon/12131722_gLhM9#862586008_PqTfP

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Armacham posted:

wheeeeee

more pictures from becktastic here http://becktastic.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/mt-lemmon/12131722_gLhM9#862586008_PqTfP

Boycott Arizona! Kidding that looks like a ton of fun....

....if you are white.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armacham posted:

It's amazing how offroad riding changes your perception of what a "long" ride is. 150 miles is what I'd do before breakfast for a long street trip (Hey, I don't like breakfast), but for offroading is a full day.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
It's a little intimidating posting my little buddy with you guys all posting those big powerful bikes, but after all the work i've done in it i'll bite...

formerly abandoned 2004 yamaha serow turned into fully moded sumo serow... Almost everything done at home :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah, that's loving sick. What's the mod list like?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
That is pretty awesome. I love DIY stuff!

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

Z3n posted:

Nah, that's loving sick. What's the mod list like?

Let's see...

250cc big bore kit
lowered cilinder heat (around 11,5:1 compression)
34mm keihin carb
high flow air filter
widder and straighter exhaust with (very) noisy muffler
110/70 17" metzeler lasertech front on 2"5 rim
150/70 17" metzeler lasertech back on 4"25 rim
320mm brake disc with original caliper
Stiffer spring on original shock
Denser oil on forks
aftermarket front mudguard, honda back mudguard and aftermarket plate holder/backlight
aluminium handlebar
eletrostatic painting on all metal parts
assorted chromed parts
all screws changed to stainless allen screws (gently caress PHILIPS SCREWS! gently caress 'EM HARD IN THE rear end!)
fake carbon fiber blinkers
all eletric parts (including battery)put under the seat by two home made fiberglass pieces
flat black plastics
aftermarket seat cover

I'm sure i'm missing something, but i think that's the bulk of it... There's still little bits here and there to be made too...

It's a fun little bike... I love it for rolling around town, it has the exact weight/power ratio to fight our mad traffic and an amazing agility... It really lacks power for long road trips but i've taken it to the twisties near town a few times and it was quite fun :)

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 13, 2010

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
That looks awesome but I've seen fatter forks on bicycles

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think that thing is awesome. Have any pictures of the exhaust side? It's everything a street supermoto should be, stripped and functional.

Maybe take a grinder to some of the random crap on the frame, but goddamn, it looks so good already...

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

niethan posted:

That looks awesome but I've seen fatter forks on bicycles

I thought about buying some used upside down forks on ebay...

But that means i'd have to buy the whole front of a bike : triples, wheel center (no idea how it's called in english) and the brakes... Put the price of shipping and the 60% import taxes and it becomes way to expensive, especially considering that those skinny things do their job fairly well...

@z3n : i don't like this pic, but it should do

You can see the colour diference between the painted tank and the plotted wings...

and i'm not doing anything to that frame, i love the painting way too much :3:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Get some gear to match it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Primo Itch posted:

and i'm not doing anything to that frame, i love the painting way too much :3:
You forgot the 'before' picture from your old post...