Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I won't ever take Photoshop for granted again, I think I started getting drunk on the power of autostitch and thats when you just start stuffing crap into the computer expecting miracles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

squidflakes posted:

I'd pitch in for a banner, but only if it was something along the lines of "Dear GBS, stay the gently caress out of The Dorkroom"

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Okay yeah, I'll kick in a couple bucks for a "GBS stay out of The Dorkroom" banner.

I'm in for :10bux:. Since they cost $8, someone make something that everyone most some can agree on and I'll purchase. I'm thinking purhaps we link them to FYAD or something :v:

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 4, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
HEY! IGNORE ME!

If you want to be left alone, making banners calling attention to yourself is counter-productive.

edit: vvv That's what I think too. This banner poo poo is so goony.

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 4, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Why do we want to keep people out of the dorkroom? More people should come in and join and contribute, even if they're just starting out. No?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mannequin posted:

Why do we want to keep people out of the dorkroom? More people should come in and join and contribute, even if they're just starting out. No?

I agree with this.

After all, fun though you guys are, if we dont get fresh blood, we'll end up like one of SA's weird sub-forums.

Or worse, like a typical photography forum.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I'm fine with that too really. Link it to here and have it be "Share your HDR pictures with us".

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Draw them in and then educate them, surely? I found Dorkroom via D&D and I'm sure since I have the world is now a better place without my edgy myspace angles and underexposed nightclub snapshots.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
There are few things that draw goons like a sign that says "Stay Out"

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

"finally a forum to post your lovely HDR photos"

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I was seriously all about HDR photos and came into the dorkroom and posted one and all you guys hated on it.

Haven't done one since (and now have a job as a photographer for a local weekly). So, I dunno. Pretty eye-opening for me I guess, I say let them in and show them the error of their ways, it worked for me.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

dunkman posted:

I was seriously all about HDR photos and came into the dorkroom and posted one and all you guys hated on it.

Haven't done one since (and now have a job as a photographer for a local weekly). So, I dunno. Pretty eye-opening for me I guess, I say let them in and show them the error of their ways, it worked for me.

I don't mean to recover territory from the last few pages, but HDR is perfectly valid technique, just one that's gotten overused recently and has thus inspired a backlash.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Alternating
"SA has a photography forum?"
"SA has a photography forum!"

Or maybe some "Get to know your Dorkroom posters" like AI had a few years ago.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Do we really care about increasing traffic in this forum?

I'm sure we're all in other subforums enough that when we see someone posting nice pictures we can be like "yo, get your poo poo to the dorkroom"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

I'm sure we're all in other subforums enough that when we see someone posting nice pictures we can be like "yo, get your poo poo to the dorkroom"

It would be nice to get some new blood into the photo contests and PaD threads. I mean I enjoy everyone's submissions but adding new posters isn't bad in and of itself. I'm sure the truly awful ones will get run out of the threads in no time.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

It would be nice to get some new blood into the photo contests and PaD threads. I mean I enjoy everyone's submissions but adding new posters isn't bad in and of itself. I'm sure the truly awful ones will get run out of the threads in no time.

Oh, good point. Plus running the awful ones out would be fun.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spog posted:

I agree with this.

After all, fun though you guys are, if we dont get fresh blood, we'll end up like one of SA's weird sub-forums.

Or worse, like a typical photography forum.

spog wtf does your avatar mean ive been wondering for years

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Paragon8 posted:

I just did the opposite. Some dude posted a picture of his scooter here and I was all "get yo rear end to the Cycle Asylum".

Cue "SA has a motorcycle forum???"

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299433&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Often whenever I see such photo threads in GBS, I have to lament the wasted potential.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
New Dorkroom subtitle?

Fujifilm's Finepix F80EXR reviewd: Mo' Megapixels, Mo' Problems

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
This is hella awesome. http://gizmodo.com/5531880/history-as-youve-never-seen-it-beforein-true-color

quote:

In 1909, wealthy French banker Albert Kahn set out to create "a photographic inventory of human life on Earth." His teams took 72,000 autochrome photographs in over 50 countries, comprising the largest collection of early color photography in existence.

Ovation, one of those TV stations in the 200s you might not realize you subscribe to, is currently airing the 9-part BBC series "The Wonderful World of Albert Kahn," which explores the man and details his colossal project. Kahn became interested in photography on a trip to Japan and sent teams equipped with autochrome cameras—the first capable of simply taking true color photographs—to all corners of the world.

In addition to the 72,000 still photos they collected, Kahn's teams amassed over 100 hours of film over the course of the project's 22 year duration. Kahn was eventually bankrupted during the Great Depression, but his collection stands as a singular account of life in the early 20th Century.

You can see the work here: http://www.albertkahn.co.uk/book.html

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I love ancient color photos. My favorite has to be this guy, taken in 1911

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Some dude ripped off Joey L. He reacted pretty well to it I think.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

Some dude ripped off Joey L. He reacted pretty well to it I think.

Just from the picture comparison I'd say that it wasn't that damning, but reading how the location is some remote village in east asia and the other photographer used the same guide as Joey - that's more compelling evidence against him.

They both have some great pictures though.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Paragon8 posted:

Just from the picture comparison I'd say that it wasn't that damning, but reading how the location is some remote village in east asia and the other photographer used the same guide as Joey - that's more compelling evidence against him.

They both have some great pictures though.

All moral issues aside, that must be incredibly frustrating to do all that research, planning, and effort, in order to have a nice new unique aspect to your folio, and then to have someone else out there with a near duplicate chunk of photos.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

All moral issues aside, that must be incredibly frustrating to do all that research, planning, and effort, in order to have a nice new unique aspect to your folio, and then to have someone else out there with a near duplicate chunk of photos.

Don't get me wrong I didn't mean to sound like I was defending him. It must be an awful feeling seeing the people you spent a huge amount of time and effort producing a photojournalism story on in somebody else's portfolio. It's definitely different than someone taking a picture of the eiffel tower in the same way as you, or some other easily accessible concept.

I think the duplicated concept is ultimately more damaging than any similarities between the pictures. Honestly I don't know why the other photographer really bothered. He spent considerable time and expense getting good pictures, but ultimately worse than the photographer whose footsteps he followed. Now he's got the whole plagiarism thing to deal with.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Don't get me wrong I didn't mean to sound like I was defending him. It must be an awful feeling seeing the people you spent a huge amount of time and effort producing a photojournalism story on in somebody else's portfolio. It's definitely different than someone taking a picture of the eiffel tower in the same way as you, or some other easily accessible concept.

I think the duplicated concept is ultimately more damaging than any similarities between the pictures. Honestly I don't know why the other photographer really bothered. He spent considerable time and expense getting good pictures, but ultimately worse than the photographer whose footsteps he followed. Now he's got the whole plagiarism thing to deal with.

I didn't take it as you defending him, was just the main thing that jumped out at me about the issue.

Because as small as the photography world can seem sometimes, it's also huge and sometimes people can get lost. He was probably hoping this would only been seen by art buyers that hadn't seen JoeyL's work and it would look impressive and land him work. He might be right, who knows.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Cool video on the guy who won Nikon's macro photography contest: Lighting Bugs with Layers of Genuis

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Using a Rebel XT, no less!

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Paragon8 posted:

I'm not sure how to read the situation-- people duplicate each others stuff all the time in photography, though obviously not on the scale of copying a project entirely. But, as any anthropologist will tell you, we (as in, the West) don't exactly have ownership of this or that far away tribe. Just because one guy photographed them doesn't mean they are off-limits to any one else.

So in conclusion, I think the second guy fell down more in the duping of shots than he did in going and taking pictures of these people. If he could have turned out his own unique images of the people, then it would have been no harm, no foul.

OR there is some alternative answer where these people are so used to be photographed (this happens more often than you'd think) that they guided BOTH photographers around to prearranged shots. I don't know nearly enough about the situation to say that there is any truth to that.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Most of those shots look like they were lit with huge umbrellas or something, so I imagine they're pretty drat used to being photographed. They're pretty much models.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
I also should have noted that the overall concept: "go to a small village, shoot pictures of the OTHER and then bring them back to the safety of civilization to show off" is not exactly one over which Joey can can claim ownership.

Mentawai.org (which seems to be a repository of ethnographic data on the people living in the Mentawai Islands) notes

anthropologists posted:

The rapid expansion of surf tourism in the Mentawai Islands in the period 1995-2009 has subjected them to world scrutiny to a degree probably unmatched in their history. In this we are possibly seeing the beginning of a new chapter in the relationship between the region's residents and the rest of the world.

These people are pros at getting photographed. Not much different than UNIQUE photos of the women with rings 'round their necks in Nepal. I think Joey should probably relax.

vvv Anthropology majors represent: I'm graduating with a cultural anth degree in like 2 weeks vvv

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 6, 2010

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

TsarAleksi posted:

But, as any anthropologist will tell you, we (as in, the West) don't exactly have ownership of this or that far away tribe. Just because one guy photographed them doesn't mean they are off-limits to any one else.

So in conclusion, I think the second guy fell down more in the duping of shots than he did in going and taking pictures of these people. If he could have turned out his own unique images of the people, then it would have been no harm, no foul.

OR there is some alternative answer where these people are so used to be photographed (this happens more often than you'd think) that they guided BOTH photographers around to prearranged shots. I don't know nearly enough about the situation to say that there is any truth to that.

I've just finished up my degree in Anthropology and you mention a problem that is fairly common in anthropology these days. A lot of these "lost tribes" are used to westerners coming in and treat the tourists to a bit of a show including anthropologists who are trying to do an ethnographic survey.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not familiar with the Mentawai however it would not surprise me if this was the case. I took some photos a few years ago in a Mayan village in Mexico and they did this very thing. Having photographers come in and take photos of them and putting on a show was how they made money. I got some good photos though I think.

To do a proper ethnography one has to dedicate years of one's life to study so that you can see past the show that all people are usually going to put on when they know they are being observed. I would not be surprised if this particular tribe of Mentawi has posed for quite a few photographers.

I'm personally not a big fan of Joey L. I don't really like the aesthetic of studio light on location it just looks off to me. I'm not saying it's bad it's just not really my thing. I personally prefer the work of George Rodger who did seem pretty cool photoethnographic surveys in Africa. He was also one of the first of the modern photojournalists to do so.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
The other thing that bothered me a lot about this particular series is the way that he uses the group name to title his photos. "The Mentawai" strongly implies that these photos summarize the people in a way they most certainly do not.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

The fact you've never done pre planned conceptual stuff shows.

Show me one additional photographer to these two that has dragged studio lights out to this tribe and I'll eat my hat. they might be used to be photographed, but I guarantee the other tourists aren't producing gallery worthy prints from it. Regardless of whether JoeyL has any legal ownership of the idea, it certainly is his.

I mean, trying to reduce it down and say it's unoriginal because it's photos by a westerner of indigenous tribes is pretty rich from someone who does journalistic event photography.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
There's nothing *wrong* with what he's doing. The point is that freaking out because someone replicated a lot of the poses ignores the fact that these are probably poses with which these folks are very familiar. My other comments are just critique of this kind of work, more from an academic than artistic standpoint.

I think some of Joey' s other travel work is really interesting: "Holy Men" is a really cool series, particularly in the way that it compares and contrasts people of a variety of cultures. But that doesn't make *everything* he does creative and unique.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

TsarAleksi posted:

There's nothing *wrong* with what he's doing. The point is that freaking out because someone replicated a lot of the poses ignores the fact that these are probably poses with which these folks are very familiar. My other comments are just critique of this kind of work, more from an academic than artistic standpoint.

I think some of Joey' s other travel work is really interesting: "Holy Men" is a really cool series, particularly in the way that it compares and contrasts people of a variety of cultures. But that doesn't make *everything* he does creative and unique.

No one is freaking out, and if you think he is, you didn't read the post. He was calm, and pointing it out because people were constantly emailing him about it. He also demonstrated pretty well how difficult it is to get to this tribe, and how the copycat used his same guide, most likely through the contact info from Joey's blogpost.

The likelihood of it being an innocent coincidence is like .00001% and it now dilutes Joey's portfolio by having someone else out there with near duplicate images of the same people and similar lighting, even if they aren't as well done.

I personally don't think the Mentawai series was all that great compared to his ethiopia trip, but the fact remains he did some serious legwork to make it happen, and most likely expected a nice payback beyond just the fun trip, in the lines of having a unique new chunk of personal folio work. As I said in my original post, regardless of any legalities, it sucks that the latter aspect is no longer the case.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't think it's copycat at all. The two photographs on the blog entry are similar, sure, but only in that they're pictures of men in native dress standing in the creek, probably fishing or catching crustaceans or somesuch, and of an interesting collection of skulls. Joey L's photos are not unique in any respect save for the difficulty of getting to the Malawai.

If I were going down and had never heard of Joey L, I might take similar photos, and he could accuse me of copying him with precisely equal validity.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

I don't think it's copycat at all. The two photographs on the blog entry are similar, sure, but only in that they're pictures of men in native dress standing in the creek, probably fishing or catching crustaceans or somesuch, and of an interesting collection of skulls. Joey L's photos are not unique in any respect save for the difficulty of getting to the Malawai.

If I were going down and had never heard of Joey L, I might take similar photos, and he could accuse me of copying him with precisely equal validity.

Post your portfolio link.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

poopinmymouth posted:

Post your portfolio link.

You should probably at least say please.

I am not yet sure what opinion I have of this earth-crushing debacle, but I would be interested in knowing how many other guides there are that make the ridiculously long and annoying trek to this remote tribe of people. I can't imagine it being a large industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

RangerScum posted:

You should probably at least say please.

I am not yet sure what opinion I have of this earth-crushing debacle, but I would be interested in knowing how many other guides there are that make the ridiculously long and annoying trek to this remote tribe of people. I can't imagine it being a large industry.

The internet is full of people proclaiming how they could have shot "insert shoot here". Every annie Liebovitz thread on Strobist, Joey's discussion here, etc. Even discounting the fact that you don't get to do these things without having a professional career beforehand, if you look at the person's work, it's universally not actually the same quality. In this case you can tell by the fact he can't see the difference in quality between the copycat and Joey's. Yeah they are similar, same location, same people, but the light isn't as nice, the composition isn't as good, and the processing is too heavy handed. This leaves me doubtful he could in fact shoot it identically. (discounting the fact he also wouldn't be asked to photograph 50-cent for GQ magazine the month before to fund the trip)

Joey went over how he found his guide a bit on the DVD and in his original post about the trip. He asked around on lonely planet to find a guide in the nearby major city, arranged to meet up for coffee before actually committing to that guide for the trip (not sure if he had a plan B and C guide in plan A didn't pan out).

I was really interested because I have a trip that I'd like to make, and was interested in how you get a good guide for an area that isn't super duper touristy, which is why I remember the details, and why I'm skeptical this isn't someone copying his legwork exactly. He made this trip and project himself, whether other people have seen this tribe or not. This guide doesn't routinely go out there, this was a case of the photographer having a shoot and location in mind, finding a local guide, and asking him to take him to this specific location to photograph this tribe. It was a custom made trip, which is why I personally think it's a pretty lovely offense to rip it off.

It's also pretty lovely because this might make him a bit more reserved with the flow of his information on his next personal trip. I've seen another photographer face this same thing, they posted everything of theirs to be educators, hoping people would take their info and then branch off on their own, and instead using it to create duplicate folios by copying exactly, and hoping the clients don't notice. The other photographer just doesn't do much behind the scenes info anymore. Love him or hate him (I don't actually love Joey's stuff, it's hit or miss), he's one of the few highly paid professional photographers that puts tons of info out there to digest, and it sucks that it might be ruined for those of us actually using it as a learning resource by someone ripping it off and devaluing his hard work.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2010