Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Firebert posted:

And the Crusader games! I want those on GoG so bad.

I concur. I'm tired of them being hard to impossible to get running since Win98. For a short while I was running them via VPC on a 1GB HD image with my original Win95 CD installed on that. DosBox probably works with them, but I'd actually repurchase them for ~$5 if they were at least semi-native to Windows.

On a side note I never could get far in No Regret. The first 2 levels were so goddamn huge compared to any in the first game that I always got lost, confused, killed and finally frustrated to boredom. I'm not a dumb teenager anymore though, though I fear the work required getting any 90s Origin gaming working in a modern OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

beef express posted:

If they ever get Origin I am going to be so skint. Off the top of my head, Bad Blood, Space Rogue, Strike Commander, Ultima series, Martian Dreams, Wing Commander series... goddamn, I can't remember a stinker they did (Ascension didn't happen!).

Man, that's the truth. I played all those games when I was like 12 and seeing them for sale again would make me feel like GoG personally constructed a nostalgia bomb tailored just for me and mailed it straight to my doorstep. I'd buy those games so fast...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

On a side note I never could get far in No Regret. The first 2 levels were so goddamn huge compared to any in the first game that I always got lost, confused, killed and finally frustrated to boredom. I'm not a dumb teenager anymore though, though I fear the work required getting any 90s Origin gaming working in a modern OS.

I was the same way, lol

I don't even remember getting past the first level and I completed the original. It's one of the main reasons I want to see it fixed for XP/Vista - so I can actually play the sequel.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
DotEmu's broadened their library, now with the Broken Swords, one game called Atlantis, or something like that, and most importantly: ABUSE. For free, but then again, wasn't Abuse freeware anyway?

Also, anyone knows why both gog and dotemu have Broken Sword 2 and 3, but not 1?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Luisfe posted:

Also, anyone knows why both gog and dotemu have Broken Sword 2 and 3, but not 1?
I'm pretty sure it's because 1 was recently remade for DS/Wii/iPhone.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Luisfe posted:

DotEmu's broadened their library, now with the Broken Swords, one game called Atlantis, or something like that, and most importantly: ABUSE. For free, but then again, wasn't Abuse freeware anyway?

The source code and the shareware content are in the public domain, but the full game has never been free.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Threep posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because 1 was recently remade for DS/Wii/iPhone.
But not for the PC, which is a pain in the arse because its easily my favourite of the series.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

beef express posted:

Wing Commander series.

This series was why I wanted to get a PC when I was a kid. I'm still mad they haven't made any recently. And no, there is nothing on the XBLA that even mentions Wing Commander so just shut up.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
This is pretty horrible lately, I like when they focus on games I can't get running properly or have trouble finding, not lovely games you can find at the 99 cent store that work fine but nobody liked.

They should make up with us by releasing Crusader and getting all the bullfrog games.

And introducing a 2.99 price point for rear end old dos games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, this is proof that one "oh, poo poo" ruins a hundred "good jobs."

Outcast - gently caress yes
Master of Orion 1 and 2 - You're the loving best!
Blood - Marry me!
Master of Magic - Have my children, you can't go wrong!!
Blood II - Okay, what the gently caress?
Master of Orion 3 - *sound of shotgun racking*
Empire Earth III - *sound of shotgun firing*

I like how they quickly covered up Empire Earth III by reducing the price of another game. Watch their weekend deal be something ridiculous like every title 50% off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Someone mentioned contract obligations, and I am pretty sure thats where this comes from.

Or, they get the rights to everything in a series and just say "gently caress it" and release everything.

Either way, its really hard to complain about them releasing too many games for under $10, right? The last 30 days or so they have been on a mighty tear, so I can forgive the crap that is at the tail end.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

al-azad posted:

Man, this is proof that one "oh, poo poo" ruins a hundred "good jobs."

Outcast - gently caress yes
Master of Orion 1 and 2 - You're the loving best!
Blood - Marry me!
Master of Magic - Have my children, you can't go wrong!!
Blood II - Okay, what the gently caress?
Master of Orion 3 - *sound of shotgun racking*
Empire Earth III - *sound of shotgun firing*

I like how they quickly covered up Empire Earth III by reducing the price of another game. Watch their weekend deal be something ridiculous like every title 50% off.

Don't forget that horrible sniper game too, each horrible game is taking away a spot of a good one!!!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

Don't forget that horrible sniper game too, each horrible game is taking away a spot of a good one!!!
Sniper Elite is actually really good, though.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

AxeManiac posted:

They should make up with us by releasing Crusader and getting all the bullfrog games.

I'd really like to see Magic Carpet 1 & 2 go up...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

And introducing a 2.99 price point for rear end old dos games.

I would support this like a madman. I wouldn't pay $6 for an Infocom game, especially when most of them are freely available one way or another, and I'm just a casual fan, but I'd put up $3 for a GOG-packaged copy of A Mind Forever Voyaging.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm pretty sure their prices are purely based on bandwidth. The bigger games are $10, smaller ones at $6. Are there any exceptions to this?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^
Another world is 144MB and $10, while Arcanum is 1GB and $6.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I was just looking through my stash of old, old games to try and find Caesar II (which isn't on GoG sadly) and man it's been too long since I've seen some of those games. Several times I caught myself thinking "Wait, I actually own that game? Wow..."

One of the real gems of old gaming I found was SimCity Enhanced, which I'd love to get on GoG (but I'm not sure why, I got the CD right here). It was just regular old SimCity with better graphics, but it had video advisers like Civ II, except better, and they'd pop up whenever something wasn't right. Sometimes you'd also get short videos depicting your sim's lives, and news reports when disasters struck (and randomly at other times). I just checked YouTube, and someone awesome actually uploaded some of the vids (though sadly not the main one I was looking for). Time for a stroll down memory lane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JoA9JnBTtw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esi5bRgH3jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7FsRpk-lY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfouzLxyWyc

AG3 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2010

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Anyone have any idea why they don't seem to have the rights to the Quest for Glory series? Seems like they'd be bundled up with all of the Space Quest/Kings Quest stuff, but for some reason QFG never got an XP compatible rerelease like the other serieses did. I still have my old QFG Anthology and QFG5 discs, but getting them to run on each successive version of Windows requires jumping through more and more hoops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cantaloupe posted:

^^

Good call.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

For a moment I thought this was J. K. Simmons.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You guys need to remember that the contractual magic that GoG weaves comes with hooks. I think someone else said this before but I doubt a publisher wants to hear, "We'll take this and this and this, but this is poo poo take it back." Consider all these duds the real price we pay for them pulling down some of the most awesome and truly Good Old Games in history.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Overwined posted:

You guys need to remember that the contractual magic that GoG weaves comes with hooks. I think someone else said this before but I doubt a publisher wants to hear, "We'll take this and this and this, but this is poo poo take it back." Consider all these duds the real price we pay for them pulling down some of the most awesome and truly Good Old Games in history.

It's not even a price, really. We as consumers are not inconvenienced in the slightest by bad games being sold alongside the good ones.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

It's not even a price, really. We as consumers are not inconvenienced in the slightest by bad games being sold alongside the good ones.

Yup. And let me state for the record that I am in no way affiliated with GoG. I'm just an old guy that can really only stand to play the games of his youth. You little fuckers can have your bloom and your tanks shooting at helicopters. FOOEY I say.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, some of them cause horrible flashbacks. I do remember saving up for 5 or 6 weeks, running to babbages, and coming home with a box full of poo poo.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Overwined posted:

Yup. And let me state for the record that I am in no way affiliated with GoG. I'm just an old guy that can really only stand to play the games of his youth. You little fuckers can have your bloom and your tanks shooting at helicopters. FOOEY I say.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep buying new video games when I just end up playing the same handful over and over again.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cantaloupe posted:

^^
Gabriel Knight 2 is a 2.4 GB download and yet $6. I'd say this myth's busted.

edit: Hell, Advent Rising is 4 gigs but 6 bux.

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 7, 2010

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Lockback posted:

Well, some of them cause horrible flashbacks. I do remember saving up for 5 or 6 weeks, running to babbages, and coming home with a box full of poo poo.

Ahhh, Babbages. I remember slowly making my way to the back of the store on every single trip in their final years buying PC Games in their glorious big boxes..most of the time at very good prices, like when I found Freespace 2 brand new for $14.99 when it was beginning to be OMG RARE on eBay.

Sold it a couple years later for $75. :c00l:

Ninja Edit: Also remember buying Myth: The Total Codex for $14.99 and saving up money from my first job to buy The Age of Empires Collector's Edition the week it came out when it was in an enormous box for $59.99. Was worth every penny.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep buying new video games when I just end up playing the same handful over and over again.

That's an easy one. It's because every next game you buy just might be the one. The game you fall in love with that turns out to be so good that you to forsake all others, or at the very least forget about them for a long, long time because you don't need them anymore because this new game is just that awesome!

This does happen every once in a while though, so it's not completely false hope.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

That's an easy one. It's because every next game you buy just might be the one. The game you fall in love with that turns out to be so good that you to forsake all others, or at the very least forget about them for a long, long time because you don't need them anymore because this new game is just that awesome!

This does happen every once in a while though, so it's not completely false hope.

Are you talking about all my past girlfriends?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overwined posted:

But the games back in the day were tanks shooting at helicopters.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

al-azad posted:

But the games back in the day were tanks shooting at helicopters.

I don't know what games you're playing, but you obviously don't have the same taste as I do :colbert:

Unless, of course, you're talking about all the way back to this, but even then I don't remember a tank shooting a plane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Emotional Damage man. I come in here and know it's new release day, see a bunch of posts and expect people to be talking about some amazing gem of a game and I see Empire Earth 3 or whatever, it's kind of like, drat, drat... just drat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oops, I bought Panzer Elite from Gamersgate and they don't have the manual, but GOG does. If anyone's got it from gog would they be willing to throw it my way?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
This site is great, I love these classic games. Thanks for the thread.

Also enjoyed typing "m" on the gender dropdown and getting "Missy". :psyduck:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Looking through my PC Game list, I realized some FPS games I would really like to see on here:

• Clive Barker's Undying (EA :rolleyes:)
  • Commandos: Strike Force (Got pulled from Steam for some reason)
  • No One Lives Forever Series / Contract J.A.C.K. (Monolith/Sierra)
  • F.E.A.R. (Monolith)
  • Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi (iGames Publishing / Idol FX AB...whomever the hell that is)
  • Outlaws (LucasArts)
  • Powerslave (aka Exhumed)
  • Quake IV (Activision/Raven Software)
  • Requiem: Avenging Angel (3DO/Cyclone Studios)
  • Shadow Warrior (3D Realms)
  • Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 (Activision/Raven Software)
  • Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (SET PHASERS TO FRAG, BITCHES)
  • Strife (Rogue Entertainment, who also made a little game called American McGee's Alice that also needs to be on here, but EA is retarded)
  • System Shock 1 & 2 (Obviously)
  • Thief 1 & 2 (Eidos)
  • Turok 1 & 2 (Not necessary as I have the N64 versions, but would be cool nonetheless)
  • XIII (Thirteen) [Ubisoft]

and, of course:

Daikatana (Eidos)

If Steam and or GOG could pick those up, I'd have every shooter I could possibly ask for.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 7, 2010

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Holy poo poo, if GOG could get Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 for $9.99 I'd snatch that up so quick.

Same with Thief 1 & 2, Turok, XIII, etc... Good list IMO.

I've always wanted to try that Requiem game. Stabbing people: FOR CHRIST!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never knew Turok 1 and 2 came out for the PC.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If I recall right the PC port of 2 ran like poo poo when it came out and still is a little unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Indeed. :) I used to have physical copies of both all those years ago.

Gah, I forgot about Condemed: Criminal Origins too. That game was awesome. And it's another Monolith game.