Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

scubadub posted:

Hello there fellow goons. I mostly lurk around here, but darn if i don't get inspired ever time I read this thread. So much awesome!

Been working with cubase for a couple weeks now, and would very much like some feedback. maybe even some tips on my mix perhaps, i have alot to learn.

Sort of a ambient thing i guess.

Something i was working on last night.

Be thrilled to have some feedback, good or bad. Have at it.

On the second one, I think it would sound alot cleaner if the bassish synth (the one that comes in first) was either a mono, not a poly, or didn't have that delay effect on it. Then, like Quincy Smallvoice said, maybe get some more going on. Try switching up the progression (and the drums!) completely instead of just removing and adding parts throughout the tune. For only a couple weeks practice you're doing alright, so keep at it and post back here when you think you've improved some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

scubadub posted:

Hello there fellow goons. I mostly lurk around here, but darn if i don't get inspired ever time I read this thread. So much awesome!

Been working with cubase for a couple weeks now, and would very much like some feedback. maybe even some tips on my mix perhaps, i have alot to learn.

Sort of a ambient thing i guess.

Something i was working on last night.

Be thrilled to have some feedback, good or bad. Have at it.

I think your mixing needs work, both tracks are rather quiet and I think the other instruments are too quiet in relation to the drums. I think it's a really good start, though. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Been working with Ableton for a short period of time now, so far never made anything I deemed worth sharing, but there's a first time for everything right?

Project I'm working on with a friend. Currently lacks automation, a good build and all the smooth transition elements.

I'd just appreciate any feedback on what you currently think of this:

Thanks. :)

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
http://soundcloud.com/psychoticbreakz/the-morning-after
http://soundcloud.com/psychoticbreakz/sarte-in-the-shower

Here's a couple of tracks I've been working on, been doing this for just over a couple of months now - positive and negative criticism of tracks would be appreciated, as would be advice on how to make better tunes in general!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rivfader posted:

Been working with Ableton for a short period of time now, so far never made anything I deemed worth sharing, but there's a first time for everything right?

Project I'm working on with a friend. Currently lacks automation, a good build and all the smooth transition elements.

I'd just appreciate any feedback on what you currently think of this:

Thanks. :)

You probably realise this, but that piano needs more variation in velocity and stuff. It sounds pretty robotic.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Computer Jones posted:

You probably realise this, but that piano needs more variation in velocity and stuff. It sounds pretty robotic.

Yeah, definitely. It's on the list.

Thanks for listening. :)

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Electronic/Club/DJ Music thread, I need advice. I started this track yesterday, have about 2 minutes worth of solid material, and got the mix sounding awesome. Seriously better than anything I've produced to date. Here it is:

Now I showed this track to a friend of mine, and he pointed me to a youtube link of this Deadmau5 song, "Ghosts N Stuff" which sounds EXACTLY the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc

Now what do I do? I don't listen to Deadmau5, and as such had never heard the tune before, but the similarity is uncanny. Should I keep going regardless? It's not like it'll be getting any kind of official release. But I feel like I'm going to put this on SoundCloud and be berated by Deadmau5 fans for ripping him off, when I truly, honestly, did not.

Trapped in electro factory, please send help.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Nindoze posted:

I got myself an Audio Kontrol a while back and only just got round to takin a look at the synth discount coupon.

So seems like i got a choice between pro53, FM8, Massive, and Absynth 4

any advice?

Any of the NI synths are killer, but, as it has been said, it depends what you want it for.

Massive is the best 'bread and butter' synth, FM8 is really digital sounding (for that old skool industrial/techno thunk) whilst Absynth is better for more organic/evolving stuff (and can also handle samples in a limited capacity).

You can also route audio through both FM8 and Absynth and use them as effects units.

FM8 is a bitch to learn though, whilst Massive and Absynth follow more traditional synth architecture (osc-filter-envelope), albeit much MUCH more tweakable than that.

In terms of instant 'thats AWESOME' factor and playability, Massive is probably the way to go as it's a bit more newbie friendly

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

unSavory posted:

Electronic/Club/DJ Music thread, I need advice. I started this track yesterday, have about 2 minutes worth of solid material, and got the mix sounding awesome. Seriously better than anything I've produced to date. Here it is:

Now I showed this track to a friend of mine, and he pointed me to a youtube link of this Deadmau5 song, "Ghosts N Stuff" which sounds EXACTLY the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc

Now what do I do? I don't listen to Deadmau5, and as such had never heard the tune before, but the similarity is uncanny. Should I keep going regardless? It's not like it'll be getting any kind of official release. But I feel like I'm going to put this on SoundCloud and be berated by Deadmau5 fans for ripping him off, when I truly, honestly, did not.

Trapped in electro factory, please send help.

That is a freaky similarity man- maybe you heard it in a club without realising- the number of times I've done that is untrue.

Mess with the structure of yours- maybe start with some percussion, kick in with your main riff and save the organ/synth for the breakdown?

Or maybe arpeggiate/gate/chop the intro bit to make it more rythmic, and layer the original under it an octave below at lower volume?

BTW that production on yours is wicked, really well mixed.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Thanks for the advice, and for the compliments. I guess I'm going to keep moving forward with it, switch things up, maybe introduce some different instruments to the main part, and then go in a different direction after the breakdown. I was thinking of sending the track into drum and bass territory, so that seems like the best bet at this point.

And yeah, I probably heard it out somewhere and recreated what I heard without realizing. It sucks when that happens :(

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
We talking darkcore drum n bass, or more Grooveridery jazzy stuff?
That intro riff with a nice shimmery Rhodes to lull people into a false sense of security, then pulverise 'em with a massive wobble.

What software art thou using?

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Yeah. I'm thinking I'll use what I have to build an intro of sorts, then "pulverise 'em with a massive wobble." Maybe something a la Phonat's "Bad Boy"

I'm using Ableton Suite 8, but most of the synth work is done with SURGE (the best softsynth in existence IMO)

A Rhodes (or some sort of electric piano/keys) is not a bad idea at all. Might add something a little different to separate this track from the inbound Deadmau5 fiasco. Thanks for the up on Grooverider. I'd never heard him before, but he's got some sick tracks.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Check out 'Jack The Ripper' by Grooverider- he actually recreated it almost perfectly it on (proto-Reason software/game thing on PS2) Music 2000.

I've had Live 8 (not the Suite though) for about 6 months and only recently started properly using arrangement view- fantastic for chopping and rearranging snippets of audio. Its definitely worth using the 'other' view to what you normally use for actual composing purposes to keep stuff fresh.

And yeah, the Deadmau5 thing is gonna get a backlash soon- there's only so much bleep bloop thump click a man can take.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

unSavory posted:

Yeah. I'm thinking I'll use what I have to build an intro of sorts, then "pulverise 'em with a massive wobble." Maybe something a la Phonat's "Bad Boy"

I'm using Ableton Suite 8, but most of the synth work is done with SURGE (the best softsynth in existence IMO)

A Rhodes (or some sort of electric piano/keys) is not a bad idea at all. Might add something a little different to separate this track from the inbound Deadmau5 fiasco. Thanks for the up on Grooverider. I'd never heard him before, but he's got some sick tracks.

Forget about Deadmau5. You've got a few sounds and a bit of production that are similar to sounds he used... who cares? The song is definitely different, and the kids these days lap that poo poo up. They won't go "U STOLE IDEEEEAZ FROM DEADMAU5 MY KING" they will go "It's kinda like Deadmau5, only new and different, awesome!"

It's not like anyone claims you're "just copying Hendrix" when you use a Wah, or overdrive your guitar. It's only copying Hendrix when you do a cover... and people like that anyway.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

Vanmani posted:

Forget about Deadmau5. You've got a few sounds and a bit of production that are similar to sounds he used... who cares? The song is definitely different, and the kids these days lap that poo poo up. They won't go "U STOLE IDEEEEAZ FROM DEADMAU5 MY KING" they will go "It's kinda like Deadmau5, only new and different, awesome!"

It's not like anyone claims you're "just copying Hendrix" when you use a Wah, or overdrive your guitar. It's only copying Hendrix when you do a cover... and people like that anyway.

I was actually about to trash the project file before I read this. Thanks. I'll post back here when it's done.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

It needs vocals. Badly. Anyone know anything itchin for a remix?

Diabetes of Beef
Oct 16, 2007

I've been lurking in this thread awhile now, but, finally, I have something I'm gonna post! Me and my music-making cohort have made this remix of T-pain's "Can't Believe It", and any opinions or critiques would be very helpful.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

I have no idea what you should remix, but I'm always gay for your productions and this one is no exception. I dig it.

Just do what I did with this one and start dropping vocals on it until one catches, and then go from there :v:

(It's like 70% done, there's a conspicuous lack of parts on the bridge in particular)

Diabetes of Beef posted:

I've been lurking in this thread awhile now, but, finally, I have something I'm gonna post! Me and my music-making cohort have made this remix of T-pain's "Can't Believe It", and any opinions or critiques would be very helpful.

I like this a lot but try not sidechaining the chiptune sound so hard during the intro? It's weird feeling without the rest of the instruments.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 7, 2010

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Need some input on where to go with this

Generic dubstep. Sure. However I like the synths but I just can't quite figure out how to punch the kick drum up more and how to build up the track. I like it sort of minimal

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

ShoodZ posted:

Need some input on where to go with this

Generic dubstep. Sure. However I like the synths but I just can't quite figure out how to punch the kick drum up more and how to build up the track. I like it sort of minimal

Dude this is awesome and ridiculous. To make the kicks stronger I'd recommend something like boosting the kicks around the 100hz range and cutting in the same frequency range for the bass, or alternatively adding a high shelf to the kick sound to make the higher frequencies (and the "punch") come through better.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I finally got round to doing some new techno :)
I've had 6 months off doing any proper tracks because my apartment is lovely and it's no fun working on music here. Moving out soon though so I forced myself to sit down and write something.

You can listen here:
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-duck-cover-1

The sample is from that 1950's nuke safety video, been wanting to make something war themed from it for ages. :)
I'm kind of on the fence for the transistion between the 2 sections, i'd quite like some feedback and ideas on that if possible. Not sure if it's just because I've worked on it for so long or if it's still total poo poo.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 9, 2010

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I just wrote this today after listening to Tron by Joker. I'm sure the similarities between the two are very blatant and obvious, but I wanted to try writing something in his style to see how it went.

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet
I always get nervous posting anything on here, but could you guys give me opinions on improving this? I like it, and most people do, and I've got it sounding (at least on my computer) pretty decent.

http://soundcloud.com/charlesdexterward-1/charles-dexter-ward-aleister-crowley

Edit: Should mention this is either progressive house or trance. Not sure which.

Project Lithium fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 11, 2010

Das Kimboplex
Mar 22, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

I just wrote this today after listening to Tron by Joker. I'm sure the similarities between the two are very blatant and obvious, but I wanted to try writing something in his style to see how it went.

I like this a lot.

BlpSoup
Jan 26, 2006

unSavory posted:

Deadmau5

Just chiming in to say that I agree with others here. While it has some deadmau5 elements, I can tell readily that it's nothing deliberate. Actually one vibe I do get is that the bass has a much more distinct beefiness I'd expect in some Justice tunes(by no means intended as an insult). Something I could see this benefitting from would be some organic elements. Have you considered having a breakdown with some single-note plucked acoustic guitar melody?

mezzir posted:

I could see Gorillaz - Stylo mixing REALLY well with this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vAOzYz-Qs

Project Lithium posted:

I always get nervous posting anything on here, but could you guys give me opinions on improving this? I like it, and most people do, and I've got it sounding (at least on my computer) pretty decent.

http://soundcloud.com/charlesdexterward-1/charles-dexter-ward-aleister-crowley

Edit: Should mention this is either progressive house or trance. Not sure which.

I actually like this rather a lot. It's quite chillout. granted, it's not high energy, but I don't think that's your goal. The bassline at 1:50 is absolutely SICK and I hope to god that you keep it. The only real advice I'd offer is to start hunting around for some quotes of aleister crowley(I've seen a few vinyl records of his voice), maybe cut up some snippets and sprinkle them in the first and second breakdown. Doesn't have to be complex, but using them with some squarewave risers would make this something I could easily see for sale on beatport.

First time posting in this thread(that I can recall) but I've followed it and really enjoyed the constructive input each of you have given. I guess I'm just an amateur composer, but I have the gear and want to get a little more serious. The big issue I have is feedback. I don't know many people who gets as excited about sounds or is analytical enough to be able to offer any kind of criticism other than 'I like it' or 'I don't like it'. In truth, I do get a lot of negative feedback on the drum track, but never an explanation of why it's so disliked. I came here hoping to change that!

That being said, I need some help.

I've always had a hard time writing a song to completion. I usually get a cool sound in my head, get to work and once that 'cool sound' is done, a total of maybe a minute or so in length, I go 'that's good enough' and then move on. I'd begun reading various production magazines, and one such magazine had an article on formatting a song to write to completion. The best tip I got out of the exhaustive 7 page article was to start with the drums for a track. Get a simple beat to arry through the entire song, and then start modifying it, adding some variety to hits, breakdowns where the beat changes, etc, and came up with this slightly-less-than 7 minute long drum track:

Hooray! I made a drum track! It has a digital feeling punch that seems to jive with me in the ways I wanted it too, and doesn't get overly repetitive all throughout. It's around here that I started looking at all of my past 'snippets' of sounds I did and found an ancient project of mine I titled 'nox it' and started fiddling around with my samples, cutting and nipping parts of it down to fit, and dropped it in in the second major breakdown in the tune, as follows:

That being said, like usual, the moment I finished adding that section, I ran out of ideas. And I'm not entirely happy. There's a loud popping in the drums that just don't jive with me with the synth, and it feels altogether too 'digitalized', and there's a muddiness in all the sounds that I don't really know how to clean up properly. And I guess that's where I'm coming to you guys. It's been a month and I still can't finish it. Firstly, I would like some positive and negative criticism on what's already done. What's 'wrong with it' to your ears? What's right? How do I make this 'better' from your subjective viewpoints? If I was to pick one instrument from the breakdown to use with a transitive gate to slowly introduce it, what would you pick?

Additionally, if anyone wants to do something with that drum track, by all means go for it. This is at this point 'hobby music' and if at least one person can make it into something likeable, by all means do it!

Thanks in advance!

BlpSoup fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 11, 2010

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Sorry I could not help it

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ShoodZ posted:

Sorry I could not help it

Bad news: http://hypem.com/#/track/1106600/Chrispy+-+Inspector+Gadget+Dubstep+Refix+

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
drat that one on hypemachine is FUCKIN DIRTY! thanks for that, def gonna play it tomorrow night.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch

Nooooooooooo.

drat that's a slick remix

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What are some good sample libraries in regards to drums/percussions? I started out not so long ago, mostly focusing on getting a hang on the synth, but the samples with Ableton kinda suck and they break the whole arrangement IMO.

Anything but Vengeance Essential House, I guess.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

can i get some opinions on this? It's still a little rough, just some basic house-inspired happy music

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

What are some good sample libraries in regards to drums/percussions? I started out not so long ago, mostly focusing on getting a hang on the synth, but the samples with Ableton kinda suck and they break the whole arrangement IMO.

Anything but Vengeance Essential House, I guess.

I've heard good things about Thomas Penton's Essential Drums&Percussion, but I can't personally vouch for it

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm going to be doing sound design for my university theatre department and I've wanted to do ambient work for a show ever since I heard Music for Airports. My theatre has no equipment save a six-channel board that runs to a 2.1 speaker setup and a Mac with nothing on it save iTunes and Garageband. I want to build my own DAW, especially if I do this for summer stock and need to have my own equipment.

I'm not sure what I need in terms of a laptop, but I was looking at a Sony Viao setup running probably Ableton and have either a controller or synth running into it. I'm not really sure which, but I was looking at an Axiom 25 as something basic and low-end with enough capability to run during a live show. The pads are a big draw, too, I would have killed for those when I board op'ed our last show.

I want to work within a couple hundred dollars for the controller/synth and I've found 25s going for around $150. I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of interfaces, and I'm kinda shooting from the hip as far as what I need in a laptop. I'd like to try live mixing, but I don't know what kind of system I'd need for that.

parade
Mar 5, 2010

Oiled and Ready posted:

can i get some opinions on this? It's still a little rough, just some basic house-inspired happy music

I'm hardly qualified to have any expert opinions, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the intro hook is catchy and interesting, but I kinda ran out of steam and lost interest around the half-way mark. The little breakdown around the 3/4ths mark comes a bit too late for me, if I weren't trying to listen through critically I'd probably just have stopped listening by then entirely.

I also find the lower end to be a bit weird, like I'm expecting those stabs to be the bassline but I'm also picking up this extended bass note under each measure that seems to deflate the groove a bit. Could just be my headphones though.

Turnabout is fair play, I could really use some constructive criticism on this track. I've been doodling with software and synths for a while now but virtually never put together anything longer than a 16-bar loop. Trance of the cheesy old school.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Oiled and Ready posted:

You have some cool sounds here, but musically it sounds rather off-key. The instruments are really clashing with each other. Keep at it, though :)

parade posted:

Turnabout is fair play, I could really use some constructive criticism on this track. I've been doodling with software and synths for a while now but virtually never put together anything longer than a 16-bar loop. Trance of the cheesy old school.

I like it. I think the main melody repeats itself too much, though.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

parade posted:

Turnabout is fair play, I could really use some constructive criticism on this track.

This is really good! the high synth really adds some interesting dynamics to it, as does the piano. my only real complaint is that those stabs you have that come in prior to it dropping in for the first time sound like they're gonna explode when the beat drops, but then they continue to just not do it for me. I love when it drops in the second time, though - just enough of an 8-bit vibe.

I shortened it up a bit and took some effort to try to make it more dynamic. Also tried to make the bass punchier. It's still not where I'd like it to be, though.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I done a new one :)
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-skin

Oiled - I quite like what you've got and where it's going, but i'm not really feeling that bass sound :( It's a little too squelchy for my liking.
Might be worth trying some automation on the release too.

Sunter
Jul 10, 2005
lurker

I've been trying to finish some of my sketches into something a little more complete lately. Any advice or feedback on song obama?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Sunter posted:

I've been trying to finish some of my sketches into something a little more complete lately. Any advice or feedback on song obama?

I really like the freeflowing structure of this...if there's one thing that was apparent immediately, it's that the kick is muddy. Try cutting out more lows, possibly sidechaining the bassier elements?

And I hate to keep reposting this, but I completely redid it, spent way too much time on it, and am gonna probably say it's done :D

edit: after listening to this on shittier headphones, my kick might be a bit TOO punchy. thoughts?

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Can I get some mixing tips on this? This is like a two year old track that I found in the depths of my old computer; I feel like it could be pretty good if produced properly but right now sounds way too busy and the mix is pretty bleh.

http://soundcloud.com/jmersere/catch-ruin-hexxes

• Locked thread