Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm pissed at myself because I was liquidating and telling myself not to buy until we had a correction, then I couldn't resist getting into GS and BP. Well they are still only down 1% on me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Hahaha gently caress, and I'd just bought some stuff this morning. 6 hours and I could have bought it cheap as gently caress :argh:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ixo posted:

uhhhhh, did anyone else see every single iShares etf drop to 1 cent per share? what in the holy gently caress was that about?

I caught that too (well I didn't get an exact price) but I can't get a full update on any site right now.

I think it was a glitch somewhere but it was weird because my basket of non-indexed dogs went down with everything else.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

Janin posted:

Hahaha gently caress, and I'd just bought some stuff this morning. 6 hours and I could have bought it cheap as gently caress :argh:

Definitely feeling this. I bought some stuff a week ago at the first Greek-induced dip. Now things are down 5% on top of that. Could have waited a week. This is a position I intend to be in for months or years, so I definitely could have waited a week to buy in.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Jreedy88 posted:

Definitely feeling this. I bought some stuff a week ago at the first Greek-induced dip. Now things are down 5% on top of that. Could have waited a week. This is a position I intend to be in for months or years, so I definitely could have waited a week to buy in.

Buy more, lower your average purchase price?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pissed because I had a conversation with my friend at like 11am today where I said I am worried that we are having multiple down days in a row, and that we might see the bottom fall out because of it.

And here we are.

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
Glad I left my 401k money in cash reserves for a bit. Jesus christ.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Got out of a few positions yesterday, only holding QCOM, XLNX and SIRI now, all of which are long term and make no sense to sell. drat, this happened fast too.

PsychoAndy
Jul 21, 2003
what
Word on the street according to FT that this was a huge program trading fuckup on Proctor and Gamble.

Also I can't get on my interwebs broker. I was hoping to see an actual circuit breaker tripping day...sorta.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

MrBigglesworth posted:

Buy more, lower your average purchase price?

I would but the money's not in the right place right now to fire off a trade. Takes days to get it in place. Don't keep much in my brokerage account.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

PsychoAndy posted:

Word on the street according to FT that this was a huge program trading fuckup on Proctor and Gamble.

Also I can't get on my interwebs broker. I was hoping to see an actual circuit breaker tripping day...sorta.

Heard another rumor that the a Citi broker accidentally sold $16B in ES instead of $16M.

I like that being down 3% all of the sudden seems like an ok day.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Took this time to shift some money around from stocks that "barely" dropped (~2%) to stocks that plummeted (~7%). Hopefully the right decision since this seems to be on the "oops" side of things rather than the "omg armageddon" sort.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

anyone know why zerohedge is down?

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

unixbeard posted:

Bears probably flocked to it and crashed the servers. Also, goldbugs.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://english.eluniversal.com/2010/05/06/en_eco_esp_barclays-capital:-pd_06A3866333.shtml

Oh Venezuela, still thinking that anyone gives a poo poo....

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

http://english.eluniversal.com/2010/05/06/en_eco_esp_barclays-capital:-pd_06A3866333.shtml

Oh Venezuela, still thinking that anyone gives a poo poo....

"ever watch a mouse rape an elephant"

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pr0k posted:

I just added to my NOV position at 39.90.

After Hours: 43.22 Up 2.20 (5.36%) 4:09PM EDT

:coal:

edit: poo poo's still going crazy!

After Hours: 41.45 Up 0.43 (1.05%) 4:11PM EDT

:notquitecoalbutstillnottoosucky:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

unixbeard posted:

Yeah I've been trying for a few hours. I think their servers need an upgrade, the site was tough to get into when the Goldman was charged.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
My favorite chart of the day:

Euthyphro fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2010

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Heard another rumor that the a Citi broker accidentally sold $16B in ES instead of $16M.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/programs-e-minis-trade-snafu-said-contributed-to-market-plunge-2010-05-06

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I feel sick about owning C right now :(

I do feel good about my awesome "investment" instinct of hitting F5 every second while pooping my pants until the indexes finally ticked up, then putting in a massive buy order for the stock on my watch list which was down the most at that point.

That was just an insane loving cliff. I felt so retarded buying into that. I'm sorry I didn't have something like PG or SCHA on my lists though!

Insaint
Nov 22, 2005
Up 3% for the day :smug:

Though I only just caught up to the general market rise in the last month with that.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Maybe that's why I couldn't access my Schwab account earlier, they were out of business for a bit there.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Duey posted:

Maybe that's why I couldn't access my Schwab account earlier, they were out of business for a bit there.

It's not even Schwab itself, it's their Small Cap Index ETF. An INDEX dropped like that. Doesn't make sense.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
I love it when perma-bulls get squashed. Today was a glorious day.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Even better! (Although I don't own this one, and it did not cause me to have a heart attack)

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

I like that being down 3% all of the sudden seems like an ok day.

Citi just announced "It finds no evidence of erroneous trades."

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Jesus what a day, hopefully Germany approves the Greek financing and there's an upside surprise in US NFP tomorrow to get us back to happy times. Just bought big positions at the dips in XEG.TO and XMA.TO, global growth don't fail me now!

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Bought into VXX @24 this morning, strongly considering buying more.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
what the gently caress.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Something similar would be inefficient. FAZ is retarded.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Christobevii3 posted:

Context, bitch.

Edit: nice win BTW

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 7, 2010

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

It seems like they don't even know how this could have happened, let alone who actually caused it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

It seems like they don't even know how this could have happened, let alone who actually caused it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0624451020100507

I could post other site's analysis of it, but since everyone here seems to refuse to believe markets and all of their participants are anything but :angel: there is no point.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 7, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

abagofcheetos posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0624451020100507

I could post other site's analysis of it, but since everyone here seems to refuse to believe markets and all of their participants are anything but :angel: there is no point.

Nah. I'm willing to admit that all market participants are incompetent, evil, or both. Days like these make me wonder which one I am.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

On that note:
To be honest I do not know how correct this guy is, how factual the information is, whether its skewed or not, but it is definitely an interesting and worthwhile read. I'd be interested to hear more informed opnions on the articles.

Start with http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/taxpayer-government-debt-enron-m3-money/4/16/2010/id/27821?page=full
then http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/us-government-taxpayers-treasury-auction-derivatives/4/30/2010/id/28058?page=full

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
It is obvious that whatever the gently caress happened today was exacerbated by high frequency/algo trading. The question is: What caused this crap? Nobody has fessed up to erroneous trades (at least not yet). There's a post over at Zero Hedge (yeah, I know, lol) that suggests a move in the Dollar/Yen triggered an algo sell-off. It is an interesting theory.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/i-l-l-i-q-u-i-d-i-t-y

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ZH's main high frequency trading writeup today is a really good read as well.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Ravarek posted:

It is obvious that whatever the gently caress happened today was exacerbated by high frequency/algo trading. The question is: What caused this crap? Nobody has fessed up to erroneous trades (at least not yet). There's a post over at Zero Hedge (yeah, I know, lol) that suggests a move in the Dollar/Yen triggered an algo sell-off. It is an interesting theory.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/i-l-l-i-q-u-i-d-i-t-y

Yeah, for loving one citibanker guy to do this it would require him to be allowed access to capital in the $100 million with insane leverage or trillions. It's all bs. Also, resetting trades and being all "lol computers" is going to instill confidence...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm a novice at the stock thing, but if you had timed it correctly could you have bought like 100000 shares of accenture at 0.01 and then sold them at $40? effectively making $4,000,000?

Cause that's hosed up.