Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I've played this game like a billion times but I've never noticed until today starting a playthrough that in the intro cinematic Maggie Chow walks by .

So awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 19, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DVD Drive posted:

Also somehow I never realized until now that the Paris couple talking about moving to America have a second level in their apartment. And if you don't break into their apartment they will open the door themselves eventually.

Really? What triggers this? Are you sure it's not just if you commit violence they freak out and happen to run out the door?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

DVD Drive posted:

Also somehow I never realized until now that the Paris couple talking about moving to America have a second level in their apartment. And if you don't break into their apartment they will open the door themselves eventually.

This explains why they had no bed. I was very confused at how their house could not have a bed. :downs:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Can someone tell me what happens if you don't kill the weird mechanic and don't go through the "bomb" scene? I don't have time to replay any time soon.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

xXDarkchildXx
Nov 24, 2003

I AM A POT!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DVD Drive posted:

Looks like someone is working on an unofficial bug-fix patch that doesn't alter gameplay like Shifter does;
http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10132

I'd be interested in something that doesn't fix stuff like the lockpick and data tool glitches, but gives all the stuff from Shifter.
What can I say, I like having enough lockpicks and data tools :shobon:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DVD Drive posted:

Definitely looks like her character model. I wonder if it really is meant to be her.

I'm sure it is, since the opening is set in Hong Kong.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

DVD Drive posted:

I guess I can't rule out that possibility. Can npcs unlock doors without being scripted to?
Yes! There are a few places where you can force this to happen for your own amusement. Nicolette DuClare can open the locked wine celler if you go in first and lock the door behind you. Tiffany Savage will open the garage door she's locked in if you tell her to make a break for it with the door still locked. You can escape from UNATCO without killing Anna if you freak her out and she runs towards the INF-locked door, opening it automatically.

Note that the NPC doesn't actually unlock the door, though. It will be open, but still locked, so if something causes it to close again, it will remain locked.

Speaking of that Paris apartment, holy poo poo the proportions are retarded in there. The ceilings are like 20 feet high and the furniture looks tiny in comparison.

Iacen posted:

I'd be interested in something that doesn't fix stuff like the lockpick and data tool glitches, but gives all the stuff from Shifter.
What can I say, I like having enough lockpicks and data tools :shobon:
Carry a GEP Gun and you'll rarely find yourself without 20 of each!

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bat Ham posted:

Is there anything else that could trigger Paul's death if you don't use the window? I just played that part yesterday planning to save him. Went out the door into the hall with him, guns blazing and saw him make it to stairs. I didn't know he was invulnerable so I focused on trying to clear a path for him. At some point, though, he disappeared. I checked the bodies, he wasn't there, so I figured he'd just gone out the front door and escaped so I moved on. And now I've just seen him dead on a table in the MJ12 lab. :smith:
It's happened to me before, but I always have tons of saves so I go back and redo it and it works fine.

Cynispin
Aug 2, 2006
Swagger

xXDarkchildXx posted:

This deserves whole buckets full of loving. Great job

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
The ILAW in Shifter is good at opening doors too, since the ubiquitous MJ12 Commandos carry 3-4 rounds each for it and it carries up to 60 total. You don't get it until like half-way through the game though

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just finished my "kill nobody, subdue everybody, no pistols, rifles, or heavy weapons" stealth playthrough. Knocked out every single enemy in the game (using EMP for bots), except for the stun-immune bosses and the crew of the superfreighter (I didn't want to drown them when it went down). I even went so far as to knock out every single trooper and MiB in the 'Ton raid before Paul could kill anybody.

Having basically gone through the entire game using nothing in combat but flares for distractions, emp and gas grenades, the blackjack, and augs, I have to say, holy poo poo that type of playthrough gets godly powerful in Shifter's late game, more than making up for the early challenge. It's especially monstrous if you take the Spy Drone aug and beef it up a bit, since the drone's EMP blast will utterly gently caress up bots and cameras with zero risk on your part.

Enemies give you a decent skill point bonus and drop extra items when you knock them out instead of killing them, and you never need to bother buying ammunition, weapon upgrades, or gun skills. You will always have shitloads of various items like pop/soy food/etc., and ridiculous numbers of grenades and ammunition; plus, there seems to be a small chance of enemies dropping aug upgrades, since I kept finding them on people. By the time I got to the end, every single aug I had was maxed out, including my glowy-eye flashlight powers (I never knew you could upgrade that!). I also had Master low-tech, environmental training (thank gently caress for hazmat suits), swimming, and demolitions (for loving huge, super powerful EMP grenade explosions), with Expert in medicine because I was tired of gluing my legs back on whenever a Karkian bit me.

There was something really satisfying about completely clearing out all the levels I remembered as being incredibly difficult, all without anyone ever seeing me, let alone managing to shoot me. Plus, it was neat to play the last few levels with a million times more skill points and aug upgrades than I ever had in vanilla.

e: Stealing the Dragon's Tooth schematics using the Spy Drone and waltzing out without ever triggering the alarm was fun, too :)

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
One thing that would be really cool, but totally unfeasible (especially if you intend to leave the majority of the game intact) is a nobody-ever-even-knows-you're-there run, bonus points if it could also be restricted to being totally harmless to everybody (no weapons of any kind). It's a really fun way to play Crysis, and involves a hell of a lot of just waiting invisibly and silent, carefully analyzing your prey and taking them out 1-by-1 without any of them ever realizing something's wrong.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Wait you can upgrade your flashlight eyes? :psyduck: Is that something shifter adds that I never noticed?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Kitfox88 posted:

Wait you can upgrade your flashlight eyes? :psyduck: Is that something shifter adds that I never noticed?
Shifter. It makes your flashlight eyes slightly weaker than standard, but able to be upgraded so the light shines much farther and the radial glow around you is larger.

Diplomat, I did a total nonlethal run as well (including no knockouts on the boat), but I used totally different augs and I think I might have kept a sniper rifle handy for cameras. It's a hell of a fun experience, though. Oh, and my preferred distraction tool was the crossbow. :)

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2010

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I've played this game like a billion times but I've never noticed until today starting a playthrough that in the intro cinematic Maggie Chow walks by .

So awesome.

My mind is blown all over my cubicle right now. I had no clue about this.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

Diplomat, I did a total nonlethal run as well (including no knockouts on the boat), but I used totally different augs and I think I might have kept a sniper rifle handy for cameras. It's a hell of a fun experience, though. Oh, and my preferred distraction tool was the crossbow. :)

Once I got the Spy Drone to level 4 I never had to worry again. That thing is like a flying super EMP grenade with a camera on it and the ability to push buttons and hack computers. You can basically sit in a closet making armpit farts while your spy drones play half the level for you and kill every bot within 30 miles.

The flashlight eyes are actually really powerful when you upgrade them, but I'm not sure I'd waste an aug upgrade on them if I still had something else to spend it on. I was thinking they'd be way cooler if you could blind weak enemies by standing really close to them or something. That, or have upgraded flashlight eyes override blurryvision, so you can still fight effectively while sedated, poisoned, or super drunk/high on zyme.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 7, 2010

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh so it just makes the light farther. I forget, do your flashlight eyes aggro enemies and poo poo? It seems making the light brighter and farther would be counter intuitive and instead it could be something like regular light -> uv light that only you and guys like commandos can see -> only light you can see -> farther light range or something instead could be cooler

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Angry Diplomat posted:

so you can still fight effectively while sedated, poisoned, or super drunk/high on zyme.
Oh come now. What's the point of suddenly downing more crack vials in one sitting than there are in a whole playthrough of the game if you're not going to enjoy the results? :v:

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Once I got the Spy Drone to level 4 I never had to worry again. That thing is like a flying super EMP grenade with a camera on it and the ability to push buttons and hack computers. You can basically sit in a closet making armpit farts while your spy drones play half the level for you and kill every bot within 30 miles.

The flashlight eyes are actually really powerful when you upgrade them, but I'm not sure I'd waste an aug upgrade on them if I still had something else to spend it on. I was thinking they'd be way cooler if you could blind weak enemies by standing really close to them or something. That, or have upgraded flashlight eyes override blurryvision, so you can still fight effectively while sedated, poisoned, or super drunk/high on zyme.

Does the spy drone hack computers with your level of computer training?
I never really took it beyond level 1, and I only used it once or twice. For some reason the controls really annoyed me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kitfox88 posted:

Oh so it just makes the light farther. I forget, do your flashlight eyes aggro enemies and poo poo? It seems making the light brighter and farther would be counter intuitive and instead it could be something like regular light -> uv light that only you and guys like commandos can see -> only light you can see -> farther light range or something instead could be cooler

The "flashlight" aug is actually supposed to be image enhancement that's entirely inside your head so other people shouldn't be able to see it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

The "flashlight" aug is actually supposed to be image enhancement that's entirely inside your head so other people shouldn't be able to see it.
Wasn't that in IW? Between the flashlight aug and the gun-mounted flashlight (including the Red Greasel Hunter) I never really got it straight which ones were visible.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I started a new playthrough using Shifter... I love what it does with the augs, but I feel like it overly rewards kills/KOs and has ended up changing my style of play. Now whenever I find a friendly NPC, I'll whack them once or twice to turn them hostile then take them down for skill points. I don't like it but I... can't... stop!

Also, when I was looking through the documentation to see if there was a way to turn off skills for kills, I ran across this:

quote:

THINGS TO EXPECT IN THE FUTURE:

- Okay, scratch that whole "run bar" idea mentioned in earlier ReadMe
versions. I am, however, fully committed to converting the Swimming
skill to a larger, more encompassing Athletics skill.

- The Skull Gun aug will be changed to a lower-damage, lower-drain aug
that automatically fires at enemy targets when active.

- You will be able to pet cats. Yes, I'm serious, I'm going to make a
system for petting cats.

:aaaaa:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Welp. I was going to concentrate on playing Mass Effect, but I guess now I have to play J.C. Denton, Friend To All Creatures (Except Humans Because gently caress Humans). I'm kind of curious to see how he'll make it work though. You'll probably just be able to interact with cats to cause them to purr.

KnightLight posted:

Does the spy drone hack computers with your level of computer training?
I never really took it beyond level 1, and I only used it once or twice. For some reason the controls really annoyed me.

The drone only hacks in Shifter, and you need it at level 4 to do so. It uses your level of computer training. The controls are a bit fiddly, yes, but higher upgrade levels increase its speed quite a bit, making it less of an issue. The only times I found handling the level 4 drone to be really annoying were when I had to line it up to press very small buttons, or the odd time when I carelessly crashed it into a strange bit of geometry and it got semi-stuck.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Fnoigy posted:

One thing that would be really cool, but totally unfeasible (especially if you intend to leave the majority of the game intact) is a nobody-ever-even-knows-you're-there run, bonus points if it could also be restricted to being totally harmless to everybody (no weapons of any kind). It's a really fun way to play Crysis, and involves a hell of a lot of just waiting invisibly and silent, carefully analyzing your prey and taking them out 1-by-1 without any of them ever realizing something's wrong.

I was going to have a go at this, but I can't get past Liberty Island any more. I've just fired it up so many times that I instantly grow ennui and have to quit again. :smith:

But yeah, ghost runs are really awesome. I remember playing through the entirety of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory that way, and it really was the best.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Just a quick question, is there any way to spawn upgrade canisters with the console? I never seem to have enough and I'd like to just play through with maxed out everything now I've completed it fair and square.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is the PS2 version of DX worth getting? My housemate has never played the game but likes the idea, but he doesn't really 'do' PC gaming. He's a console fanboy.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Zero Star posted:

Is the PS2 version of DX worth getting? My housemate has never played the game but likes the idea, but he doesn't really 'do' PC gaming. He's a console fanboy.
Use joy2key or something and force him to play the PC version anyway. The PS2 version divides the levels into 10 times smaller segments and the interface is just about the worst thing ever.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

TehGherkin posted:

Just a quick question, is there any way to spawn upgrade canisters with the console? I never seem to have enough and I'd like to just play through with maxed out everything now I've completed it fair and square.

summon augmentationupgradecanister

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Zero Star posted:

I first played DX on PS2 (only because I didn't have a good enough PC at the time, I've since seen the light) and its really not as good a game. If he absolutely refuses to play a game on PC for whatever stupid reason, its still decent enough, even if its dumbed down a lot.

The inventory system is pretty much shot. Instead of a tetris inventory, it lets you carry four weapons plus as many small items as you can find. The health system is gone, so you just have a straight up HP counter instead of locational damage. The load times are horrendous and extremely common, and while some of the levels have a little bit more to them than the PC version, its just not worth dealing with all the other poo poo. I also think there are a couple levels missing entirely but I'm not really sure, don't hold me to that.

All that said, it is still Deus Ex, and its still worth playing if the PC version isn't an option for some reason.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Spaz Medicine posted:

I first played DX on PS2 (only because I didn't have a good enough PC at the time, I've since seen the light) and its really not as good a game. If he absolutely refuses to play a game on PC for whatever stupid reason, its still decent enough, even if its dumbed down a lot.

The inventory system is pretty much shot. Instead of a tetris inventory, it lets you carry four weapons plus as many small items as you can find. The health system is gone, so you just have a straight up HP counter instead of locational damage. The load times are horrendous and extremely common, and while some of the levels have a little bit more to them than the PC version, its just not worth dealing with all the other poo poo. I also think there are a couple levels missing entirely but I'm not really sure, don't hold me to that.

All that said, it is still Deus Ex, and its still worth playing if the PC version isn't an option for some reason.

It also has a cinematic, pre-rendered intro and ending(s).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zero Star posted:

A real contard

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Given some of the fiddly controls and small things that you have to precisely click on, I'm kind of baffled that they ported Deus Ex to PS2. How do you ever have a chance of disabling explosives?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Given some of the fiddly controls and small things that you have to precisely click on, I'm kind of baffled that they ported Deus Ex to PS2. How do you ever have a chance of disabling explosives?

they changed it to a QTE

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I had to line up my crosshairs ahead of time and charge straight at it. Disarming was a bitch and a half.

It was almost as bad as trying to pick up a ring in Morrowind on the xbox controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

etalian posted:

they changed it to a QTE

press A to BOMB