Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

CombineThresher posted:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/05/04/fan-threatens-to-blow-up-wwe-hq-because-of-mickie-james-release/

So which one of you did this? C'mon, 'fess up.

I've just been standing outside her house holding a boombox playing HBK's theme over my head. You know, doing something constructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Pneub posted:

I've just been standing outside her house holding a boombox playing HBK's theme over my head. You know, doing something constructive.

that was you? Christ, I could hear that all the way from the closet I was hiding in

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Dylar Addict posted:

that was you? Christ, I could hear that all the way from the closet I was hiding in

I've been waiting for you to admit you were in the closet this whole time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CombineThresher posted:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/05/04/fan-threatens-to-blow-up-wwe-hq-because-of-mickie-james-release/

So which one of you did this? C'mon, 'fess up.

It was decided to be pressedbunny when this came up in another thread.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TL posted:

Judging by the responses in this thread, this wasn't a lone gunman situation.

Oh, and

Fanhouse article posted:

During the arraignment, the judge informed Peygumbari that he was no longer allowed to contact WWE employees, go near its Stamford offices, or attend live events. His response: "I'm not allowed to go to wrestling shows?"

WH2K: I'm not allowed to go to wrestling shows

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

TL posted:

It was later decided to be FMG who has been missing since March.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Moose Bigelow posted:

I've been waiting for you to admit you were in the closet this whole time.

gently caress, I just gave the assist on my own burn

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Dylar Addict posted:

gently caress, I just gave the assist on my own burn

There's nothing wrong with being in the closet except that we live in a society that encourages it :colbert:

bartok
May 10, 2006

Am I a horrible person for thinking this or has Cena really improved his mic work after Wrestlemania ?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
So is TNA losing piles of money every month or what?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is there a reason I shouldn't buy this mask?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dignity

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DannoMack posted:

So is TNA losing piles of money every month or what?

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere before that they make (or made) money from their Spike TV deal? I think it is PPVs where they tend to lose money, and house shows aren't bringing in the numbers they used to?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere before that they make (or made) money from their Spike TV deal? I think it is PPVs where they tend to lose money, and house shows aren't bringing in the numbers they used to?

The majority of their revenue comes from their Spike and international TV deals. Their PPVs lose money, and with the exception of the first three months of this year (and a few other upswings) their house shows lose money. They weren't in great shape before the Hogan deal, but with all of the signings of the past month, the expense of going live and all the extra promotions they are losing significant money again.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

The majority of their revenue comes from their Spike and international TV deals. Their PPVs lose money, and with the exception of the first three months of this year (and a few other upswings) their house shows lose money. They weren't in great shape before the Hogan deal, but with all of the signings of the past month, the expense of going live and all the extra promotions they are losing significant money again.

Actually, don't their house shows either break even or pull a modest profit, what with the $20 Polaroid at the end and Don West or JB shilling merch throughout the night? Plus I think attendance is up. Unless attendance recently died, which you seem to be implying.

But even if house shows are making them a little money, it's not even a drop in that hat compared to the enormous added expense 20ish new wrestlers and going live every other week.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Actually, don't their house shows either break even or pull a modest profit, what with the $20 Polaroid at the end and Don West or JB shilling merch throughout the night? Plus I think attendance is up. Unless attendance recently died, which you seem to be implying.

But even if house shows are making them a little money, it's not even a drop in that hat compared to the enormous added expense 20ish new wrestlers and going live every other week.

I have absolutely never heard of a TNA house show that pulled in a significant crowd. I think ROH has beaten them at the same venues a couple of times, or threatened to.

They paper enormously and like to try to run venues that are far too large for the actual crowds they attract.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have absolutely never heard of a TNA house show that pulled in a significant crowd. I think ROH has beaten them at the same venues a couple of times, or threatened to.

They paper enormously and like to try to run venues that are far too large for the actual crowds they attract.

This here. even their tv tapings are papered to all hell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

This here. even their tv tapings are papered to all hell.
You can't paper a free show at Universal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

You can't paper a free show at Universal.

This is the definition of papering

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is the definition of papering
No it isn't, but if your point is that they couldn't possibly even get people to pay for their weekly television taping, then yes that is also true.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Up until January 8th, their house show business was horrible. For example, last December they did multiple crowds of about 300 people. What happens with TNA live events is the first time they go to a town, they do well. The second time the gate drops dramatically. Or in the case of January 8th, after a dramatic increase in interest in the company the house show gates improved, and then dropped off by spring.

Either way, the house shows are indeed a drop in the bucket.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

No it isn't, but if your point is that they couldn't possibly even get people to pay for their weekly television taping, then yes that is also true.

Offering free tickets, or encouraging people to attend a taping of a TV show or performance at no expense in order to have a crowd, is papering.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Offering free tickets, or encouraging people to attend a taping of a TV show or performance at no expense in order to have a crowd, is papering.

Papering is when your paid crowd isn't as big as you'd like it to be and so you give away free tickets to make it look better, you baby

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Papering is when companies pay people to come to their shows

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What's the difference between WWE and TNA?

The audience pays WWE by pay-per-view while TNA pays the audience by pay-per-ring.

:chord:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

oldpainless posted:

What's the difference between WWE and TNA?

The audience pays WWE by pay-per-view while TNA pays the audience by pay-per-ring.

:chord:

:geno:

But you did choose the right emoticon, it is a joke an old man with a pipe would make.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 7, 2010

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

^^^^^
You hurt me, Chilly.

You hurt me on the inside.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

Papering is when your paid crowd isn't as big as you'd like it to be and so you give away free tickets to make it look better, you baby

Yes we agree completely, calm down. If you have an entire audience of people who didn't pay to get in, that's still papering.

quote:

Papering is when companies pay people to come to their shows

No.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/papering

4 : to fill by giving out free passes <paper the theater for opening night>

I hope we're done with this now.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

No.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/papering

4 : to fill by giving out free passes <paper the theater for opening night>

I hope we're done with this now.

Which is, in effect, paying people to come by giving them a free ticket.

god drat wrestlin done made me dumb. tna is a scourge.

Who is the most likely ROH wrestler to be signed next? Claudio?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

Which is, in effect, paying people to come by giving them a free ticket.

Your concept of money is strange and wrong, but whatever, this is a dumb discussion.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What is the Big Wiggle?

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!

bonesquid posted:

What is the Big Wiggle?

I hope this is a joke question, but if not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2UGAkbF1Mk

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Huh, I always assumed Norman Smiley was a fat white guy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've heard reference to a show where Maryse gave Miz the gently caress me now eyes, but I've never actually seen it. Does anyone have pic of said incident, or video?

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Papering is when the company hands out planted signs to be held up for the broadcast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Huh, I always assumed Norman Smiley was a fat white guy.

Nah, just your average British black guy who found fame in the world of lucha libre.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Spikeguy posted:

I've heard reference to a show where Maryse gave Miz the gently caress me now eyes, but I've never actually seen it. Does anyone have pic of said incident, or video?
I think this is the segment in question... the 0:51 mark in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUiGKJDc3Pc

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

Up until January 8th, their house show business was horrible. For example, last December they did multiple crowds of about 300 people. What happens with TNA live events is the first time they go to a town, they do well. The second time the gate drops dramatically. Or in the case of January 8th, after a dramatic increase in interest in the company the house show gates improved, and then dropped off by spring.

Either way, the house shows are indeed a drop in the bucket.

The house shows, while never doing great, are also not as expensive as people think. They run smaller towns on the cheap, the expensive older stars usually aren't booked, and they spend nothing on advertising (dumb, because nobody knows there's a show). They do poor attendence but they make up the money through merch and photos.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't gone to WWE yet. I know he was allegedly offered a developmental deal but then it was rescinded for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

joshtothemaxx posted:

Claudio said he would love to do NXT but this was before all the crazy competitions that don't mean anything started.