Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

jackpot posted:

I'm trying not to laugh, but 170mm and still that far away :lol:

200 according to the EXIF, and that's on a 50D, so that's like 320 in 35mm terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Shot New Found Glory and We the Kings tonight with a rented 16-35L and had a hell of a time.

drat I need to stick to local shows

Ian and Chad of New Found Glory

On the fence about this photo, can't decide if I like it or hate it. It's a cool shot but not really all that great

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 7, 2010

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

HPL posted:

200 according to the EXIF, and that's on a 50D, so that's like 320 in 35mm terms.
I must have been looking at one of the other photos from that set.

I'd just laugh if this happened to me. "Sweet, just let me pull out my 70-300. I'll shoot wide-open at f/5.6, that's plenty fast enough for an event like this."

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Shot Tegan & Sara tonight. Drinking before the gig + confusion about the schedule meant that I missed the first song and went running through the crowd into the photo pit and darted around like a drunk maniac with my camera for the two songs I had left

I did give my spare tickets to a nice lesbian couple who kept buying me drinks. It turns out if you're drunk and you have a good camera it's very easy to make new friends. Hooray! It also turns out if you're drunk you forget about putting any thought into composing anything properly.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

jackpot posted:

I must have been looking at one of the other photos from that set.

I'd just laugh if this happened to me. "Sweet, just let me pull out my 70-300. I'll shoot wide-open at f/5.6, that's plenty fast enough for an event like this."

To be honest, 5.6 would have been fine at this show. Big arena concerts like this have great light. Around 1250 or 1600 that 70-300 would have been better than my 70-200 2.8 last night. My friend from another paper had a 400 5.6L he was using and was able to bring good shots.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm hoping to shoot Metallica this coming October, and by the sounds of it I'm going to need a 400mm lens because of their stupid stage setup :(

Wolfmother did a secret show in their (and my!) hometown Brisbane on Saturday night, to a crowd of 200 people with less than 24 hours notice. I managed to snag a shooters spot (only shooter besides the bands' shooter) and stood front row for 2 and a half hours while they played. It was free reign; flash allowed, AF assist beams, shoot as long as you want; no barriers and heaps of close range point and shoot cameras though, which made for a challenge. Great fun though, and good results.

The set is about half black and white, half colour, because my flash ran out of batteries about halfway through the show. I filled up two 8GB cards over the time as well, using a 5D Mark 2 with a 70-200 f/4 and a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

caught someone elses p+s flash on this one, which made cool lookin' shadows an poo poo

full set with obligatory horrible socials here - http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/15948/Wolfmother.htm

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I'm hoping to shoot Metallica this coming October, and by the sounds of it I'm going to need a 400mm lens because of their stupid stage setup :(

I've shot them twice, as recent as last fall and needed nothing of the sort. The last show was in the round and photographers had full access to everywhere around the outside of the stage. The issue was the stage was HUGE. You could get winded doing a lap around that thing. It was hard to follow them around, but not impossible.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Finally got all my photos from New Found Glory edited. The ones from We The Kings didn't come out as good.

1. Ian the bassist

2. Chad from the crowd (thank you 85mm f/1.8)

3. Chad mid-air. It was backlit to hell hence why it is so dark

click for larger and for flickr

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

Finally got all my photos from New Found Glory edited. The ones from We The Kings didn't come out as good.

1. Ian the bassist

Oh god, where is his leg

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
dunkman and I got to shoot our first event via actual photo passes *cough*freeshow*cough* on Saturday: The Crystal Method, which turned out to be "two fat old guys". Was pretty cool, except for the overzealous bouncers standing around telling us not to take pictures of anything.

Link to the full set on our site: http://photos.tfatf.com/#/album/b8c91g/

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but when I see a band without taking my camera along I usually end up standing a bit further back in the crowd and I'm surrounded by people taking photos of the bands with their phone/their point and shoots set to auto and it drives me crazy.

Why do they bother? All they get is a blur of colour or the back of people's heads. I shouldn't let it ruin my evening, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

dreggory posted:

dunkman and I got to shoot our first event via actual photo passes *cough*freeshow*cough* on Saturday: The Crystal Method, which turned out to be "two fat old guys". Was pretty cool, except for the overzealous bouncers standing around telling us not to take pictures of anything.

Link to the full set on our site: http://photos.tfatf.com/#/album/b8c91g/

I have shot the Crystal Method before. They are definitely in their forties. Not really my type of music but not bad I guess.

edit: photo too large

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

psylent posted:

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but when I see a band without taking my camera along I usually end up standing a bit further back in the crowd and I'm surrounded by people taking photos of the bands with their phone/their point and shoots set to auto and it drives me crazy.

Why do they bother? All they get is a blur of colour or the back of people's heads. I shouldn't let it ruin my evening, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I feel ya. It used to bug the crap out of me. I just wanted to go shake them. What's even funnier is when we see someone in public with their phone open and their wallpaper is one of those terribly taken cell phone concert photos. I just laugh it off now. I also find it amusing at bigger shows when there are people 100 feet away or so taking photos with a point and shoot and the flash is on.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Snapped this at a jazz fest:

I can't decide if I want to attempt to sell it to the band or not. They're primarily a trio of sax players, but the bassist was the only one with some stage presence. Opinions/critique?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Gryi posted:

Snapped this at a jazz fest:

I can't decide if I want to attempt to sell it to the band or not. They're primarily a trio of sax players, but the bassist was the only one with some stage presence. Opinions/critique?

Not to be a dick, the photo is decent, but I think the odds of selling a photo to a random unheard of band is pretty slim.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
No, I understand, that was the exact reason I can't decide whether or not to attempt to sell it. :)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Gryi posted:

No, I understand, that was the exact reason I can't decide whether or not to attempt to sell it. :)

I mean its nothing lost if you ask them and they say no. As a professional though I see the only way to make any real money is to get paid to actually shoot the show, not trying to sell photos after the fact.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

psylent posted:

Eh, they do it because it's their own shot and it says "I was there." I mean I could download some great live shots of my favorite bands, but I like my own better because they're my own; it's the same thing, just (hopefully) different degrees of talent. If I were in the band, though, all those flashes going off would drive me loving nuts.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I mean its nothing lost if you ask them and they say no. As a professional though I see the only way to make any real money is to get paid to actually shoot the show, not trying to sell photos after the fact.
If he's married, set him up with the hottest groupie at the show. Five minutes after he's closed the door to whatever broom closet they're using, bust in and start taking pictures. Those are the kinds of shots you can sell after the fact. Or get killed over. In the end it all depends on your shooting talent and how fast you can run.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

jackpot posted:

Eh, they do it because it's their own shot and it says "I was there." I mean I could download some great live shots of my favorite bands, but I like my own better because they're my own; it's the same thing, just (hopefully) different degrees of talent. If I were in the band, though, all those flashes going off would drive me loving nuts.

If he's married, set him up with the hottest groupie at the show. Five minutes after he's closed the door to whatever broom closet they're using, bust in and start taking pictures. Those are the kinds of shots you can sell after the fact. Or get killed over. In the end it all depends on your shooting talent and how fast you can run.

I have actually had people contact me after the fact like "um can you take that photo off your site because Im married and…"

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have actually had people contact me after the fact like "um can you take that photo off your site because Im married and…"
:lol: nice.

See, everyone bitches about how it's harder than ever to make money in photography these days, but really they're just not applying themselves. Blackmail never goes out of style.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Not to be a dick, the photo is decent, but I think the odds of selling a photo to a random unheard of band is pretty slim.

I usually give my photos away with a watermark for unlimited use, with an option to purchase rights for the pictures minus a watermark. I'm hoping to build up a name and when band's need promo shots they'll think of me.

Failing that it's also great networking to get my band shows, which was originally the point of photography anyway, I just happened to like it way more than I thought I would.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

I usually give my photos away with a watermark for unlimited use, with an option to purchase rights for the pictures minus a watermark. I'm hoping to build up a name and when band's need promo shots they'll think of me.

Failing that it's also great networking to get my band shows, which was originally the point of photography anyway, I just happened to like it way more than I thought I would.

This is pretty much the best angle to take with it. No matter who the band is if you came to them and said, hey I have this one photo of you, you should buy it, they're going to tell you to gently caress off. It's pretty rare for bands to buy photos unless they already had the idea in their head that they wanted photos for something. So buying one shot of one player in the band is pretty much not going to happen. Also as far as selling photos goes, way more photos are bought by magazines than bands anyways.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Group photos are consistently the most popular among bands, I find. They end up getting used on posters, myspace and Facebook a lot. That's why you should always make an effort to get at least one shot with as many band members in it as possible. And never ignore the drummer. There are plenty of bands out there where the drummer is the guy that handles all the media stuff.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

Group photos are consistently the most popular among bands, I find. They end up getting used on posters, myspace and Facebook a lot. That's why you should always make an effort to get at least one shot with as many band members in it as possible. And never ignore the drummer. There are plenty of bands out there where the drummer is the guy that handles all the media stuff.

Yes, all of this too. Every band I've been friends with has specifically asked me to try to get a bunch of them in photos at a time. And getting good drummer photos is key. They're so forgotten about. Drummers eat up when they actually get a good photo. They tend to be the biggest "hams" if they know you're shooting them too.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

HPL posted:

hahaha thats funny because two bands I know personally have the drummer handling all photo, graphic design, merch and anything that has to do with money. Here are some promo photos I have done that are pretty much exclusively for myspace. Its a quick and easy way to make $300 or so, Just message local bands on myspace to drum up some business.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Bojanglesworth posted:

hahaha thats funny because two bands I know personally have the drummer handling all photo, graphic design, merch and anything that has to do with money. Here are some promo photos I have done that are pretty much exclusively for myspace. Its a quick and easy way to make $300 or so, Just message local bands on myspace to drum up some business.

What do you charge per shot, and what's the scene like? I think the going rate around here is ~$50 for a few group shots and some individual shots. One photographer charges $100, but she does really nice work, that's heavily processed and really well thought out.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

What do you charge per shot, and what's the scene like? I think the going rate around here is ~$50 for a few group shots and some individual shots. One photographer charges $100, but she does really nice work, that's heavily processed and really well thought out.

Do you mean whats the music scene where I live, or what type of scene do I shoot them in? The music scene is pretty decent, I mean its not the type of music I like but there are about a million screamo bands in my area. I normally charge a band between $150 and $300 depending on a few different criteria (if I have shot them before, if I have to travel, if they don't seem like jerkoff's that will waste a ton of time) we generally start at my house in my home studio, shoot a handful of photos of each member, then venture out somewhere to shoot some group stuff.

I am a firm believer in charging what you believe you are worth, if others agree you will never have a problem making money, if not than you work on your skills (or your prices) until it works out. I have had some people say that I charge too much to shoot, but I have never had someone tell me that my photos aren't worth the money. I really don't mean to sound pretentious at all because I am far from it. $50 is really low honestly, I mean I don't really see the point in charging at all at that point. Unless they are a hobby photographer who is just shooting for fun and $50 is a nice treat for doing something for a friends band I cant really see a professional making ends meet this way. Sorry that was such a rant :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'd like to give a shout out to the sound man at the show I went to tonight. Some chick was like: "Take a picture of me!" so I'm like: "*sigh* Okay." It happens all the time while I'm shooting a show. I take the picture, they're happy. No biggie. But this time...

...she then proceeds to flash her boobs and just then the backlighting on stage brightened up for nearly perfect crowd lighting.

HPL fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 14, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Do you mean whats the music scene where I live, or what type of scene do I shoot them in? The music scene is pretty decent, I mean its not the type of music I like but there are about a million screamo bands in my area. I normally charge a band between $150 and $300 depending on a few different criteria (if I have shot them before, if I have to travel, if they don't seem like jerkoff's that will waste a ton of time) we generally start at my house in my home studio, shoot a handful of photos of each member, then venture out somewhere to shoot some group stuff.

I am a firm believer in charging what you believe you are worth, if others agree you will never have a problem making money, if not than you work on your skills (or your prices) until it works out. I have had some people say that I charge too much to shoot, but I have never had someone tell me that my photos aren't worth the money. I really don't mean to sound pretentious at all because I am far from it. $50 is really low honestly, I mean I don't really see the point in charging at all at that point. Unless they are a hobby photographer who is just shooting for fun and $50 is a nice treat for doing something for a friends band I cant really see a professional making ends meet this way. Sorry that was such a rant :(

Don't apologize, it was a good read. I guess when I say "The going rate" I mean to say "The rate the hobbyists charge". Most bands around here wouldn't even consider paying anywhere near $100 for photos. I'm fairly certain that a large majority of bands around here don't pay anything for their pictures, though I could be wrong. One thing's for sure though, even at the "Low rate" of $50, most bands get promo shots maybe twice a year. It's a shame, but honestly I don't see myself making a living off band photos anyway. Even in the ideal situation, maybe 10% of my income would come from shooting bands. If I really wanted to shoot bands (or try to make a living off photography in general) I'd probably move to Minnesota.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

HPL posted:

I'd like to give a shout out to the sound man at the show I went to tonight. Some chick was like: "Take a picture of me!" so I'm like: "*sigh* Okay." It happens all the time while I'm shooting a show. I take the picture, they're happy. No biggie. But this time...

...she then proceeds to flash her boobs and just then the backlighting on stage brightened up for nearly perfect crowd lighting.
I don't believe you. :colbert:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

HPL posted:

I don't see the clickable link in your post? Maybe I missed it? Concert boobs are good boobs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Don't apologize, it was a good read. I guess when I say "The going rate" I mean to say "The rate the hobbyists charge". Most bands around here wouldn't even consider paying anywhere near $100 for photos. I'm fairly certain that a large majority of bands around here don't pay anything for their pictures, though I could be wrong. One thing's for sure though, even at the "Low rate" of $50, most bands get promo shots maybe twice a year. It's a shame, but honestly I don't see myself making a living off band photos anyway. Even in the ideal situation, maybe 10% of my income would come from shooting bands. If I really wanted to shoot bands (or try to make a living off photography in general) I'd probably move to Minnesota.

If a band won't pay $100 for promo photos, they're loving idiots. If a band of 4 people isn't willing to pay $25 a piece for a decent photo to make them look like they don't have band practice in their parent's garage, they're too stupid to be in a band.

I can't fathom charging $50 for a promo shoot. Even a simple shoot figure an hour of shooting, and if you want to do a good job editing and going through the photos, that's maybe another few hours of work. Let's say 4 hours total. That's $12.50 an hour for just your work. Then factor in your camera equipment and other things you had to buy to be able to take those photos. I'm not going to keep going on and on about what this adds up to, I'll just say that charging less than $100 for a promo shoot is idiotic. If you can't get a band to pay you $100 you're either clearly not worth the money or the band is dumber than rocks.

A good promo photo can open doors for small bands. If you're trying to get booked for a show and all you have to show them is some demos and a photo, that photo is half of what they're basing their decision on.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Ahhh, the joys of shooting in dimly lit bars.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

rockcity posted:

If a band won't pay $100 for promo photos, they're loving idiots. If a band of 4 people isn't willing to pay $25 a piece for a decent photo to make them look like they don't have band practice in their parent's garage, they're too stupid to be in a band.

I can't fathom charging $50 for a promo shoot. Even a simple shoot figure an hour of shooting, and if you want to do a good job editing and going through the photos, that's maybe another few hours of work. Let's say 4 hours total. That's $12.50 an hour for just your work. Then factor in your camera equipment and other things you had to buy to be able to take those photos. I'm not going to keep going on and on about what this adds up to, I'll just say that charging less than $100 for a promo shoot is idiotic. If you can't get a band to pay you $100 you're either clearly not worth the money or the band is dumber than rocks.

A good promo photo can open doors for small bands. If you're trying to get booked for a show and all you have to show them is some demos and a photo, that photo is half of what they're basing their decision on.

This. Its good to hear other photographers feel the same way.

That's what always gets me, a person who cannot come up with $25, like how do you feed yourself?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bojanglesworth posted:

This. Its good to hear other photographers feel the same way.

That's what always gets me, a person who cannot come up with $25, like how do you feed yourself?
rockcity is completely right, and yet I feel compelled to dress you down when you mock someone to whom $25 is a lot of money. Have you been poor?

edit: If you don't have the money, that's fine, you don't buy the thing you can't afford. A photographer absolutely should ask what she or he feels they're worth. But understand from your perspective as someone selling a service that someone not being able to afford you != lack of appreciation or understanding of your craft. It's not a judgment on you, yet you're making dumb blanket judgments about them.

pwn fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

pwn posted:

rockcity is completely right, and yet I feel compelled to dress you down when you mock someone to whom $25 is a lot of money. Have you been poor?

edit: If you don't have the money, that's fine, you don't buy the thing you can't afford. A photographer absolutely should ask what she or he feels they're worth. But understand from your perspective as someone selling a service that someone not being able to afford you != lack of appreciation or understanding of your craft. It's not a judgment on you, yet you're making dumb blanket judgments about them.

I have eaten condiments for months to stay alive, I know more about being poor than you may think. The difference is when I was poor I wasn't going out and buying thousand dollar guitars or trying to pay a professional to take my photo. I certainly wasn't attempting to hire a professional for anything, and then complaining when their prices were out of my range. Would you do that with a doctor? I don't think so, so why should any other profession be an exception?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I'll agree that good photos can make a difference, I just don't know why I have this hang-up about getting paid what you guys would consider "Fair". I'm trying to understand it, and as time goes I think I get it more, partly because you guys are always pressing it, and because my confidence as a photographer is growing. I have to ask, what would you suggest I start charging for my shoots?

I've been looking at the photo business thread, and the part I don't really know about are usage rights. Assuming 99% of bands are just using the pictures for myspace/facebook and press kits, what's a fair rate? Also, what's a fair rate for basic post-processing, assuming you're just running the shots through light-room, and calling it a day?

Here's a link to my flickr if that helps
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensemisch/

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 15, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

I'll agree that good photos can make a difference, I just don't know why I have this hang-up about getting paid what you guys would consider "Fair". I'm trying to understand it, and as time goes I think I get it more, partly because you guys are always pressing it, and because my confidence as a photographer is growing. I have to ask, what would you suggest I start charging for my shoots?

I've been looking at the photo business thread, and the part I don't really know about are usage rights. Assuming 99% of bands are just using the pictures for myspace/facebook and press kits, what's a fair rate? Also, what's a fair rate for basic post-processing, assuming you're just running the shots through light-room, and calling it a day?

Here's a link to my flickr if that helps
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensemisch/

Quality aside, because I won't get into that. The main factors that I personally think should go into the shoot are the following.

- How much time the shoot will take
- How intricate the shoot is (are there props? clothes? etc)
- Did you come up with the shoot idea? If you did you're basically a creative director too
- How long will editing take you?

Those are basically the things I look at when I tell a band what it's going to cost them. Now I can't tell you a rate based on those, because that's up to you, but those are the things that should give you a relative idea of how to look at charging someone. The other things that go into cost are more fixed costs to you, like camera gear, software etc, so that doesn't really affect how to price based on the shoot, it's just more of where you want your shoot pricing to start. Like I said, personally, I'd never do anything for less than $100. Set a minimum that you think is fair for a small shoot and then use the above factors to vary your costs from there.

Edit: On a related note, I should be getting a promo photo shoot with the band Set It Off in a few weeks.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 15, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

When I first started charging for things, I started pretty high. At least I thought it was high. For example, some one asked me to shoot a wedding. I didn't want to, so I quoted a huge sum. At least in my eyes. Without as much as a bat of an eye, they said ok. Again, ask yourself, what are they using it for? Is it for a myspace/facebook page? Or is it for a promo shot that they will use to get gigs? I know it's the same, but I put more effort into promo shots. The facebook shots will teach you, the promo shots will pay you. Your time and photos are valuable- charge for them. Do not give them away. So, what to charge? Hard to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I'm thinking of starting with a standard $25 for a solo artist, upping it $5-10 per additional band mate, and then applying more if I come up with the ideas, and depending on how much post I think it'll take to hit those ideas. I figure a shoot for a band with 4 members would come out to $50-75. That seems about right in my eyes, both for the market, and for what I think I'm worth. I figure it works out to right around $15 an hour for me.

On a side note, I got turned away for my first photo pass today. I set it up with the PR people for Between The Buried and Me and got told that there had been no photo passes issued for anyone. Lesson: Get a contact number for someone that can help you day of the show. Still had a good time though, and that's what really matters.