Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Koirhor posted:

So I'm a novice at the stock thing, but if you had timed it correctly could you have bought like 100000 shares of accenture at 0.01 and then sold them at $40? effectively making $4,000,000?

Cause that's hosed up.

Even if you got a fill (you wouldn't have) NASDAQ is canceling the "errant" trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Even if you got a fill (you wouldn't have) NASDAQ is canceling the "errant" trades.

this was just demonstration, proof of concept.. the coup is p much over

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Koirhor posted:

So I'm a novice at the stock thing, but if you had timed it correctly could you have bought like 100000 shares of accenture at 0.01 and then sold them at $40? effectively making $4,000,000?

Cause that's hosed up.

edit: Nm. Yeah I'm pretty sure any money made from that isn't going to be counted as valid.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 7, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Yes, it's called a limit order.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Poor poor "value" buyers at the open...

This video always kills me too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsfQsUYZ5Y8

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Jesus, WTF does this market have against AAPL? Down another 6% today, 14% off its high of $272.

Sold my MOT puts for a small gain and went short instead (tight stop @6.75). Didn't feel like paying the Theta premium over the weekend, but if it breaks $6.50 with conviction it's headed to $6.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Apple is getting sued in US court by Nokia...

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Jesus, WTF does this market have against AAPL? Down another 6% today, 14% off its high of $272.
It's a little disappointing but keep in mind future iPad & iPhone sales and don't forget that Apple's going to have strong earnings for the foreseeable future so that price is gonna get up there again.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

Apple is getting sued in US court by Nokia...

I know, but that doesn't really explain a market cap loss of $32 billion.

Also, I don't have a position in AAPL, just thought that the sell-off appeared a bit extreme. It's back up at $240 now, still off way more than its beta would imply.

Edit: Jesus, 292 million shares of SPY traded and it's not even 11:30.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 7, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Christobevii3 posted:

Poor poor "value" buyers at the open...

This video always kills me too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsfQsUYZ5Y8

So are you (and everyone else) waiting for something in particular to get back in?

I am staying in cash at least until this Europe thing somewhat evens out. With all this volatility I am going to play it conservative.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Trade the volatility, you can't invest longer term till it goes away. Especially with the currency crisis going on in the Euro zone.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I'm reminded of a tale in Niederhoffer's Education of a Speculator. In an old stock book from 1871 he found the story of a brokerage firm that also held a lot of a particular stock on its own account. They showed up to sell a piffling 200 shares of this stock, and everyone else at the exchange who knew their position took this as a warning sign and started panic selling. The panic became universal and stocks everywhere collapsed.

It turns out the firm was executing an order for a client all along.

Well, of course, that's why we have the Glass-Steagall act now...oh, wait.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

...Well the ones with >60% losses. If you lost 59%, sorry fucker better luck next "glitch".

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

...Well the ones with >60% losses. If you lost 59%, sorry fucker better luck next "glitch".

I'm curious what happens in more complex trades where it wasn't just a one off buy or sell, but say short covering then clearing or beyond.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So are you (and everyone else) waiting for something in particular to get back in?

I am staying in cash at least until this Europe thing somewhat evens out. With all this volatility I am going to play it conservative.
Are you trading or investing? If you're trading, there are a tremendous number of ways to take advantage of this environment - shorting equity indices, buying treasury futures, buying volatility options and ETFs, buying gold, shorting Euros, buying the dollar index etc. etc. etc.

For example 30 year bond futures have been marching higher uninterrupted since the 29th and a single long contract is returning over $5,000 profit to date, with highs over $7,000 yesterday. If big futures contracts are too risky for you, a single contract of long 35 VIX calls roughly doubled in value this morning within an hour of open for a $350 profit with a realistic maximum downside of maybe $100 (since volatility like this doesn't evaporate intraday).

It's a traders' paradise out there.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Silver is moving like a drat penny stock 4.5% move whatttt

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Ha, they didn't even cancel my AAPL trades from yesterday. This is great.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Only if it's >60% from the last price, which means you could have made a 250% return in 10 minutes.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Christobevii3 posted:

Silver is moving like a drat penny stock 4.5% move whatttt

Can someone give me a quick rundown of somewhere reputable I can go to purchase precious metals like gold and silver? I'm just starting to play the market a little and I was just thinking of adding silver to my portfolio.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

VH4Ever posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of somewhere reputable I can go to purchase precious metals like gold and silver? I'm just starting to play the market a little and I was just thinking of adding silver to my portfolio.

if you are talking about buying actual metal, you will never ever beat the dealer price spread and you'll never get more than *maybe* 80% of value trying to sell... it's a fool's game unless you are talking about a *large* buy. just play SLV or GLD

dm
Jun 5, 2004

There is no alternative.
e: whoops

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

greasyhands posted:

if you are talking about buying actual metal, you will never ever beat the dealer price spread and you'll never get more than *maybe* 80% of value trying to sell... it's a fool's game unless you are talking about a *large* buy. just play SLV or GLD

Please read about SLV and GLD before you buy it. If you are believing it to hold its wealth in a crisis be aware that they aren't insured deposits on gold or silver. They don't hold a $1 dollar to $1 of gold either, they are more of a fractional promise of yeah we have some gold and buy some as people invest but couldn't carry out people demanding delivery. A lot of gold can be bought for roughly $50 over spot if you buy in bars.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Christobevii3 posted:

Please read about SLV and GLD before you buy it. If you are believing it to hold its wealth in a crisis be aware that they aren't insured deposits on gold or silver. They don't hold a $1 dollar to $1 of gold either, they are more of a fractional promise of yeah we have some gold and buy some as people invest but couldn't carry out people demanding delivery. A lot of gold can be bought for roughly $50 over spot if you buy in bars.

That was another question actually, is it possible to buy ACTUAL gold and silver, gold and silver "futures" or both? I'd prefer to buy actual gold/silver.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can buy it on eBay (seriously), and the premium isn't too crazy if you shop around.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

VH4Ever posted:

That was another question actually, is it possible to buy ACTUAL gold and silver, gold and silver "futures" or both? I'd prefer to buy actual gold/silver.

What are you going to do with gold bars?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Hide them in the fallout shelter along with the ammunition and powdered food mixes.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Hopefully, hold onto them and make a tidy profit!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

With currencies moving 5% in a day, it isn't horrible to have a small amount of gold as a wealth retainer. Stagflation a year or two out is quite probable after the whole deflation swirling the drain thing stops.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

Hopefully, hold onto them and make a tidy profit!

You might want to do more research on the topic than asking a subforum on an Internet Comedy Site.

PsychoAndy
Jul 21, 2003
what

VH4Ever posted:

It shouldn't be hard to find 90% US silver coins (as in $1/.50/quarters/dimes) or small silver bars on ebay. A pawn shop or jeweler could also hook you up too, for stuff like 1oz gold coins like krugerrands or double eagles.

You would not play with futures, unless you want to take delivery of 100 ounces of gold per contract at a certain point in time. Which, as of now, would be worth about $120,000.

While I think it's important to hold physical precious metals if you're a high net worth individual, a lot of people will try and convince normal people that the dollar will be worthless and that gold/silver is where it's at. There's 2 problems with that:
1.) At what point would you sell gold? $2000/oz? $3000/oz? If it ever got to that point you'd probably have other things to worry about...like finding a job that pays at least 3x as much, or moving to a more stable country (i don't know of any given this scenario). Also, who would have the money or would want to buy your metals?
2.) If the dollar did collapse, and there wasn't another currency, wouldn't things like food, water, and a knowledgebase relative to surviving like a 3rd world person be a lot more useful?

The only reason why I'm answering this is because I hate goldbugs, otherwise I would've given a pithy answer like BABBY.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Man if I had 500k to spare I would totally buy a London good delivery bar just chillin under my bed or something.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

You might want to do more research on the topic than asking a subforum on an Internet Comedy Site.

scary thing is that its probably better advice than 99% of the other poo poo out there.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I remember hearing that Buffet has a warehouse where he holds physical silver as part of his portfolio.

For those of us not quite at his level, I find it kind of absurd. Hell of a lot of extra work to trade in physical goods than futures. That poo poo is heavy!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but if there is ever a run on the physical metal you are going to wish you didn't own paper.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Baddog posted:

scary thing is that its probably better advice than 99% of the other poo poo out there.

Probably because none of us is in the position to make money off bad advice for other posters.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
S & P futures up 25 points as of now on the announcement of the Greek bailout we all knew they were getting.

This is the markets being efficient, I guess.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

My grandmother died recently and we found a 100 ozt silver bar in a safe deposit box. It's quite pretty but since the certificate showed that she bought it in 1983 it wasn't the best investment.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
And the can gets kicked from Greece to Europe into 2011...

This is like some game plan of Marc Fabers ramblings on gold and central banks printing money. Credit swap line instantly opened with all the main currency central banks are opened at once in the exact moment the ECB floats $1 trillion usd facility that will then swap with them?

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 10, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah but if there is ever a run on the physical metal you are going to wish you didn't own paper.

Again, what are you going to do with physical metal? Trade it? Barter?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Also, I drove down I35 to Austin this weekend. This is a huge shipping route and the amount of semi's and trains on the route this weekend was about the same as when bear stearns blew up, almost non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

And the can gets kicked from Greece to Europe into 2011...

This is like some game plan of Marc Fabers ramblings on gold and central banks printing money. Credit swap line instantly opened with all the main currency central banks are opened at once in the exact moment the ECB floats $1 trillion usd facility that will then swap with them?

I haven't got a clear sense of the loan package, are there austerity requirements for countries who take advantage of it? Am I naive for thinking this feels like TARP without the "everyone must take part, everyone must feel pain" stipulation?

EUR/USD up 185+ pips, /ES up 31 points, I'm dubious.