Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Firebert posted:

And the Crusader games! I want those on GoG so bad.
I placed a vote for those the day the site opened, I think. I even rebought No Remorse once, but I couldn't get it to run at proper speed even with DOSBox, unless I disabled all audio, which -- and I realize this sounds horribly :goonsay: but it's true -- pretty much ruins the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
NOLF would be loving fantastic, though I think people have said this many times already.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

guppy posted:

I placed a vote for those the day the site opened, I think. I even rebought No Remorse once, but I couldn't get it to run at proper speed even with DOSBox, unless I disabled all audio, which -- and I realize this sounds horribly :goonsay: but it's true -- pretty much ruins the experience.
DOSbox runs Crusader games fantastically if you use the 'dynamic' core option. I played through the entire first game and quit No Regret after the second level (like everyone else here) 4-5 years ago. It really doesn't take a demanding computer anymore though.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.

Charles Martel posted:

• XIII (Thirteen) [Ubisoft]

XIII is at Gamersgate for $5.

I would like to see Codename Eagle on GOG.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Codename Eagle would be amazing to see on GoG, especially if they made it easy for people to host/connect to multiplayer servers. Sadly, they probably couldn't include the fan patches that made the multiplayer actually playable (and subsequently broke the single player campaign).

I always wanted to play this with my friends over LAN, but they just rolled their eyes at me and thought I was weird. :(

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Charles Martel posted:

[*]Shadow Warrior (3D Realms)

Shadow Warrior is open source. hth

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Getoutnow posted:

XIII is at Gamersgate for $5.

I would like to see Codename Eagle on GOG.

I have a physical copy of XIII, but I want a digital copy on GoG or Steam. It has TAGES on it anyway. Eww.

And haha, Condname Eagle. I played it briefly and just remember cracking up at the guard's voices "YOU IDIOT! SHOW ME YOUR PAE-PARS!"

Also, since I'm bored, here's some RTS games I'd like to see here on GoG:

• The Age of Empires series (Even if it's just the first two, they're the best RTS games ever)
  • Age of Mythology
  • Battle Realms + Winter of the Wolf (Ubisoft/Liquid Entertainment)
  • Command & Conquer: The First Decade (Guess who!)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard (Atari)
  • Dune 2000 (EA)
  • Emperor: Battle For Dune (EA)
  • Homeworld Series (Relic/Sierra..we REALLY need these!)
  • Impossible Creatures (Relic/Microsoft)
  • Kohan 1 & 2
  • Myth Series (Yes, Bungie actually made an awesome RTS before Halo took over their lives..MumboJumbo made Myth III, but it was still pretty good)
  • Outpost 2: Divided Destiny (Sierra/Dynamix)
  • Rise of Nations (Microsoft)
  • Star Trek: Armada 1 & 2 (Activision...Armada II is crazy expensive on eBay)
  • Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (LucasArts...I LOVE this game)
  • Total Annihilation (Obviously)
  • Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (Cavedog Entertainment)
  • Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (When Warcraft used to be fun)
  • Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition (Despite it's name it is NOT on Blizzard's Battle.net store and cannot be registered)

MaliciousOnion posted:

It is? 3D Realms is still selling it, but it should be on GOG too since they have a few of their games already. I've been wanting a complete 3D Realms/Apogee collection on either Steam or GOG, but I'm going to have to break down soon and get them for there. :(

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 7, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Charles Martel posted:

• No One Lives Forever Series / Contract J.A.C.K. (Monolith/Sierra)
  • F.E.A.R. (Monolith)
  • XIII (Thirteen) [Ubisoft]

I would kill for these. I remember playing FEAR when the multiplayer was free and it ran horribly. I'd love to be able to play it above ~10 FPS.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

MaliciousOnion posted:

Shadow Warrior is open source, but the game assets aren't (like Freespace 2)

Speaking of which I can forgive gog a few lovely sequels especially when I've managed to play some pretty sweet games I never otherwise would have been able to (Sacrifice, Freespace, JA2 and some others)

Edit: If memory serves correctly, 3DR put Duke3D on gog before they went up in flames and made their own store, but neglected to add Shadow Warrior. Bastards

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I would seriously murder a baby to see Afterlife show up on GoG. That game loving ruled.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Squiggle posted:

I would seriously murder a baby to see Afterlife show up on GoG. That game loving ruled.

I just want to echo this statement. Paradise Pair O' Dice :xd:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Marund posted:

If I recall right the PC port of 2 ran like poo poo when it came out and still is a little unstable.

As long as you had a 3D-accelerator in your rig the game ran marvelous.

Case in point: my shittastic P233 MMX with 32 MB of RAM and a Voodoo 3Dfx.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Weekend deal time again! And this time it's... more Kalypso stuff. The Creatures games, Constructor, and something called Mob Rule.

Feh. I guess there's always next weekend. v:shobon:v

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Weekend deal time again! And this time it's... more Kalypso stuff. The Creatures games, Constructor, and something called Mob Rule.

It has been a very blah week for GOG. Can't win them all, I guess. I still love them anyway.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

[*]Command & Conquer: The First Decade (Guess who!)
The first three C&C games are free at http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic, in case you didn't know. But maybe the First Decade pack adds something more, I don't know.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I would kill for these. I remember playing FEAR when the multiplayer was free and it ran horribly. I'd love to be able to play it above ~10 FPS.
You guys make me feel pretty good about the fact that I found a good-as-new second hand copy of F.E.A.R. for the price of 1 euro, just two days ago. :smug: I never even managed to try the drat game back in the day.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Charles Martel posted:

Looking through my PC Game list, I realized some FPS games I would really like to see on here:

• Outlaws (LucasArts)

Yippy-kai ai yippity-yay.

Yippy-kai ai ay.

(I can't wait for this to work.. the discs are sitting on my desktop making me cry)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

glug posted:

Yippy-kai ai yippity-yay.

Yippy-kai ai ay.

(I can't wait for this to work.. the discs are sitting on my desktop making me cry)

I remember liking the style of that game more then the game. The AI was horrible, even back in the day it was considered weak. You could do things like shoot a guy standing next to another guy and he wouldn't react at all to the guy standing next to him being sniped.

It was a much better setting, theme, character, story and idea then an actual game I always thought.

I got constructor awhile back, still haven't installed it yet.. ugh. I did play that back in the day, remember it being complicated and hard and I gave up on it. But I didn't buy it way back when, so I purchased it now to say sorry for downloading you when I was a kid.

I think that is mainly what GOG is for me, repent for my sins.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

AxeManiac posted:

I think that is mainly what GOG is for me, repent for my sins.

It's almost the same for me, Blood was loving hard to get in Germany back then.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Woebin posted:

The first three C&C games are free at http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic, in case you didn't know. But maybe the First Decade pack adds something more, I don't know.

I know, and I actually have a physical copy of it on my desk, but I want a digital copy instead of worring about discs. The First Decade is every C&C game from the first game to Generals: Zero Hour on one DVD, and I think it would work as a $9.99 GOG release since the first three games are free, and it only sells for $19.99 anyway.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

I got really excited for a bit over Mob Rule before I realized I was thinking of Gangsters :mad:

I just want to burn down apartment buildings, killing dozens because the landlord wouldn't pay protection! IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Slantedfloors posted:

I got really excited for a bit over Mob Rule before I realized I was thinking of Gangsters :mad:

I just want to burn down apartment buildings, killing dozens because the landlord wouldn't pay protection! IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?!

If you play Caesar 3 you can kind of role play the constant fires in that game as a mob game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just got the mail on the weekend deal. Are these "Creatures" games any good? Never heard about then, but it seems interesting.

Seems like some Spore ancestral from the descriptions.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Charles Martel posted:

• Clive Barker's Undying (EA :rolleyes:)
  • Requiem: Avenging Angel (3DO/Cyclone Studios)
  • Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 (Activision/Raven Software)
  • Strife (Rogue Entertainment, who also made a little game called American McGee's Alice that also needs to be on here, but EA is retarded)
  • System Shock 1 & 2 (Obviously)
  • Thief 1 & 2 (Eidos)
  • Turok 1 & 2 (Not necessary as I have the N64 versions, but would be cool nonetheless)

This guy knows exactly what's up. Goddamn what a great list. I played all these games back when and loved all of them. I'd give GOG lots of money to play them again, too.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 8, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just got the mail on the weekend deal. Are these "Creatures" games any good? Never heard about then, but it seems interesting.

Seems like some Spore ancestral from the descriptions.

No, nothing like spore. More like those catz and petz games. Tamagotchi for PC.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

This guy knows exactly what's up. Goddamn what a great list. I played all these games back when and loved all of them. I'd give GOG lots of money to play them again, too.

I played Undying for the first time about a year and a half ago and it held up rather well.

There was a brick and mortar store that was basically GoG where I lived, and I miss it bad. My collection of games that I got from there were.

Homeworld(1 and 2)
Fallout Collection(This was before it was re-released)
Heretic
Painkiller
System Shock 2
Chaos Legion(I really enjoyed it although the last boss is bullshit)
Medieval Total War Gold
Clive Barkers Undying
Space Rangers 2 Gold

They also sold new games at discounted prices. And they were a small computer repair place(how I found out about them originally)

Such an awesome store.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

No, nothing like spore. More like those catz and petz games. Tamagotchi for PC.

Really? I always thought the Creatures series was supposed to be much more in-depth, like adventure games, than the Petz series. Does anyone know which one is the "best"? There has to be an obvious purchase amongst the three they've released.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Jimlad posted:

Really? I always thought the Creatures series was supposed to be much more in-depth, like adventure games, than the Petz series. Does anyone know which one is the "best"? There has to be an obvious purchase amongst the three they've released.

Not so much like an adventure game but definitely a lot more in depth than Petz. It's more like a genetic experimentation sandbox game... yeah let's go with that.

Wikipedia posted:

The program was significant as it was one of the first commercial titles to code alife organisms from the genetic level upwards using a sophisticated biochemistry and neural network brains. This meant that the Norns and their DNA could develop and "evolve" in increasingly diverse ways, unpredicted by the makers. By breeding certain Norns with others, some traits could be passed on to following generations. Most interestingly, the Norns turned out to behave similarly to living creatures. This was seen as an important insight into how real world organisms may function and evolve. Earlier alife programs had worked by giving their organisms a limited set of commands and parameters, and seeing whether the way the subjects behaved was realistic.

You can definitely get some fun out of the game by just training and looking after your creatures but the most fun is had playing mad scientist. Out of the three I'd say Exodus is the best one to get. It's a compilation of the last couple of games in the series and has the most in-depth artificial life simulation. You can also get a free addon which adds the entire environment from the first game as a separate room.

Also,

Wikipedia posted:

Among the fans of Creatures were the Oxford zoologist Richard Dawkins and author Douglas Adams.

High praise there...

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 8, 2010

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Hey hey hey. The Creatures 1+2/3+DS packs are worth it at that price. :colbert:

edit: jesus christ the thread jumped ahead a bit there. But yeah, at the very least Exodus is worth it at half-off. I'm regretting having just emptied my paypal.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 8, 2010

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Creatures games scared me because every time I'd try to play the game right, I would, eventually, start loving around with genetics and injecting creatures with unknown chemicals just to see what they would do and it just started to make me really uncomfortable about myself.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Not sure if this is well known, and I'm not going to link it considering it might be considered :filez: here, but there is german System Shock community who claims a lot of Looking Glass titles are abandonware and provide downloads for most notably Crusader No Remorse, Bioforge, Ultima Underworld, Wings of Glory and a remake of System Shock 1.

Ofcourse, they're probably not compatible with Vista/Win 7.

Vilipede
Jun 14, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Gog.com needs Project Eden http://www.mobygames.com/game/project-eden :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Not sure if this is well known, and I'm not going to link it considering it might be considered :filez: here, but there is german System Shock community who claims a lot of Looking Glass titles are abandonware and provide downloads for most notably Crusader No Remorse, Bioforge, Ultima Underworld, Wings of Glory and a remake of System Shock 1.

Technically abandonware isn't legal but System Shock has been distributed as something called System Shock Portable for the past 4 years even on notable freeware sights and I guess EA or whoever owns LGS doesn't care.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Don't disparage Constructor! It's one of the best games of it's time!... and possibly one of the hardest since I don't remember EVER winning a match :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I remember playing the original Creatures game when I was younger. I always ended up with a group of highly dysfunctional creatures, mostly down to my abuse and genetic meddling. One of them was afraid to eat and starved to death. I'm a terrible person. :(

EDIT: I'm thinking about getting Exodus, I never played 3. :5bux: seems pretty cool.

Hooper Struvé
Dec 15, 2004

I have had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.
Sorry if this has been covered already, but are you not allowed to mod GOG games? I downloaded Arcanum yesterday and have been trying to add some fan patches, and it won't let me apply any. Is there any way around that? Kind of sucks if not.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Hooper Struvé posted:

Sorry if this has been covered already, but are you not allowed to mod GOG games? I downloaded Arcanum yesterday and have been trying to add some fan patches, and it won't let me apply any. Is there any way around that? Kind of sucks if not.

I have modded my Arcanum just fine. What's your issue?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Humm, regardless of their status those are all Origin games, not Looking Glass. (Yes yes, LG developed Ultima Underworld but it was an Origin IP, published by Origin)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Hooper Struvé posted:

Are you on Vista/Win7? If so you'll need to give the mod installer admin rights to install to the game folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooper Struvé
Dec 15, 2004

I have had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

DoctorTristan posted:

Are you on Vista/Win7? If so you'll need to give the mod installer admin rights to install to the game folder.

That fixed it. Thanks!