Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

Scrapez posted:

Are you riding in shorts or is your bike running hot? I've never had this problem.

The oil change thing is just god drat retarded, though. I will agree with that.

I don't ride in shorts, but it doesn't seem to matter what I wear - jeans or thicker pants. My Roadcrafter should be here tomorrow so I'll see if that makes a difference. It could also be my height, or the way I put my right leg down a little different than you or something silly like that. I think this will be my last summer with the Sporty. I've got a '77 GS750 that I'd like to make my daily ride, so I'll probably work on that this summer and sell the Sporty when I get the Suzuki reliable enough to depend on.

and then I'll probably buy a KLR lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Crayvex posted:

When I want power I just pull the quick connect out of the tank bag and connect it up.

That's exactly how I wired up the front power outlet on my ST. It's there to charge my phone and the Garmin when I need it, and when I don't, the entire tank bag with cables goes right into the side bag.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Beefington posted:

I don't ride in shorts, but it doesn't seem to matter what I wear - jeans or thicker pants. My Roadcrafter should be here tomorrow so I'll see if that makes a difference. It could also be my height, or the way I put my right leg down a little different than you or something silly like that. I think this will be my last summer with the Sporty. I've got a '77 GS750 that I'd like to make my daily ride, so I'll probably work on that this summer and sell the Sporty when I get the Suzuki reliable enough to depend on.

and then I'll probably buy a KLR lol

Good point on the height or placement. I am running forward controls so I probably tend to put my legs a bit further forward when I'm stopped since I don't have mid controls in the way.

A GS750 bobber would be SWEET! I really would like to built a bobber at some point.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

Scrapez posted:

Good point on the height or placement. I am running forward controls so I probably tend to put my legs a bit further forward when I'm stopped since I don't have mid controls in the way.

A GS750 bobber would be SWEET! I really would like to built a bobber at some point.

Yeah I've got the stock controls, I guess those are "mid." Anyway, I don't plan on doing anything drastic to the GS because I pretty much like it the way it is, it just needs some TLC to bring it up to commuting duty standards.

On a thread-relevant note, I just ordered a new topcase for my bike! Yay! I recently ordered an Aerostich Roadcrafter and wanted something I could stuff it in while I was off the bike, as currently when I park somewhere I just carry my helmet and jacket with me, which is dumb. My Roadcrafter should be here Thursday (Fedex willing), I'll be sure to post in the gear thread about that when I get some saddle time in with it on.

Why yes, I do see the silliness of buying a $20 "top case" to house an $800 riding suit and a $300 helmet, but thank you for noticing!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
As long as you can lock it up, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Put a right side engine case cover on (didn't have the gasket stuff for the alternator side :( )

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

Z3n posted:

As long as you can lock it up, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

It's got provisions for padlocks, and I'm not concerned about it. I just can't wait to see the reactions of other Harley riders.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Beefington posted:

It's got provisions for padlocks, and I'm not concerned about it. I just can't wait to see the reactions of other Harley riders.

Probably similar to this guy when he took his bike to the Harley shop:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=24103.0

He talks about it half way down the page. Pretty sweet setup he has there, actually.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Started to take my 600RR apart. I have a leaking fork seal on the right side.

I have it on patio pricks and I'm holding the triple up by straps, that are on my garage rafters.

I haven't decided if I will just pull the forks out the bottom and take them to a shop, or actually try to replace the seals and refill them with oil myself. I haven't really done any work on motorcycles before.

It'll hold for the next couple days, shouldn't it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today I rode my bike at 62 kph in a 50 kph zone and got lasered by the man.

Got fined 2900 NOK / $474 :(

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ouch. I was on a circular offramp going about 50 down it and pulled up right on the rear end of a soccer mom in an SUV going about 20. She pulled off the road, complained to a nearby cop, and he caught up with me and pulled me over. He checked my license, said "That bitch was annoying, I'm pretending to write you a ticket" and then let me on my way. He liked that I was the only geared-up rider in a 50 mile radius.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Ola posted:

I was doing 70mph (112kph) in a 55mph (88kph) zone this morning and got passed by a bike cop who waved at me and kept going. Your cops are mean.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Actually the police woman who wrote the ticket was very pleasant. She said she rode bikes herself, asked if I was freezing and some other idle chit chat. The fines are set by national standards and it's not something the officer can change according to whim/situation.

So dumb because I wasn't really thinking about my speed or in any hurry. Could just as well have been doing 50 kph. Good thing they didn't set up in a 50 zone a few km earlier, I was doing 105 kph there...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ola posted:

Hey, man! This is the "What did you do to your ride today?" thread, not the "What did your ride do to you today?" thread*.

* Not advocating the dismissal of personal responsibility for ones actions, by any means. I just got a chuckle out of the thought...

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'm holding the triple up by straps, that are on my garage rafters.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I had my SV hanging from garage rafters with ratchet straps on the bars. It seemed to be fine and I'm sure I'll do it again at some point.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does the cop's laser report back to the HQ or are they just tight asses? Cops here sometimes write you up for less then you were doing, or just let you off with a warning. I think I've gotten a ticket for 5 over when he said I was doing 15 over before.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Does the cop's laser report back to the HQ or are they just tight asses? Cops here sometimes write you up for less then you were doing, or just let you off with a warning. I think I've gotten a ticket for 5 over when he said I was doing 15 over before.

Tight asses. The laser gun automatically detracts 3 kph for error tolerance, other than that it's by ze book. You can of course dispute it, but it very rarely works and is a huge hassle.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
Cops in my area are weird. You can ride 5-10mpg over without a problem as long as you're not riced out or driving like an idiot (lane dancing, tailgating, etc).

They're even more lenient towards bikes. No registration? No problem!
They'll stop you for not wearing sunglasses though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

474 dollars for going 12 over?! Mother of gently caress... And I thought the fining overhere was ridiculous. :monocle:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

KARMA! posted:

$474 dollars for going 12 over?! Mother of gently caress... And I thought the fining over here was ridiculous. :monocle:
If 'over here' were the US? That's not. It's 7.46 over.
Ugh.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Not my ride, but after seeing all these "front end hanging from the rafters" posts, I thought I'd show you how to work on the rest of a bike. I can't imagine having pulled the old engine and helping him muscle the new one in place without this lift.

F650GS that's made a tour of South America. He's pretty sure he bent a valve, but found a new engine nearby for cheap, and picked it up in his sidecar :D He's putting it back together in hopes of taking it to Prudhoe this summer (from Indiana).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Nylon straps are usually rated for a lot and have to have like a 3x factor of safety. Your rafters are probably more likely to break.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone
If I tried that poo poo in my 90-year-old, termite infested, rotted piece of poo poo garage, the bike and I would be buried in rubble post-loving-haste.

(note: those photos are from 2006 when we bought the place, the yard no longer looks like wild forest.)

(note2: but the garage still looks like that.)

(note3: actually some pieces have fallen off so it looks a little different now. the gutter and fascia are gone from that side, for one.)

(note4: don't show my motorcycle insurance company these pics, they give me a "garaged" rate. suckers.)

edit: oh yeah this thread is about stuff we've done to our motorbikes! Well I got a big box from RiderWearhouse today, so I got to install my new EZ-Pass holder. Yep, that's about it. Didn't even ride it.

Beefington fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ola posted:

Geez, I feel like I jinxed you from my post in your thread. Sorry dude. :(

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Not today but I did swap a 929RR shock on to the VFR. The improvement in the ride was nothing short of tremendous, where the bike finally felt fully planted in turns. Now the front feels like poo poo, and I'll probably be calling RaceTech soon (oh god so poor).

As for today, though, I found that Honda decided to space the pins out on the H3 headlights in the VFR so that the common H3/H4 designs you find out in auto parts stores don't fit. I was furious I was going to have to pay almost $30 a goddamned bulb to a dealership until I read on a VFR forum that you can cut the side pins off of the light, stick it in and it'll work just fine. Did just that, now both lights work properly and it's a beautiful bright white coming out of the front of the bike. That's right, Honda. :smug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Geez, I feel like I jinxed you from my post in your thread. Sorry dude. :(

No worries dude, no rush with the paypal or anything but we all know which way these scores will become settled.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Jabs posted:

If 'over here' were the US? That's not. It's 7.46 over.
Ugh.

Over here is the Netherlands. :) Land of clogs, tulips and the metric system.

Fun fact I just looked up while trying to remember the word 'metric' and failing: According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for Burma, Liberia, and the United States.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e: completely wrong thread

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

KARMA! posted:

Over here is the Netherlands. :) Land of clogs, tulips and the metric system.

Fun fact I just looked up while trying to remember the word 'metric' and failing: According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for Burma, Liberia, and the United States.
Have you ever looked up the Liberian Flag?

Liberia is just like the U.S., but with dudes like this.

and this...

Oh, wait...
...It's just like the U.S. :smithicide:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Liberia was basically a colony to send freed slaves to before emancipation happened, so I guess that's why they're as far behind as we are? And I guess Burma never changed over after the British colony days.

U.S. needs to convert so I don't have to buy twice as many sockets and wrenches anymore, and to piss off the tea party crazies.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NASA implemented the metric system gradually, the Mars Climate Orbiter mission used 50% metric measurements in their software.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Ola posted:

NASA implemented the metric system gradually, the Mars Climate Orbiter mission used 50% metric measurements in their software.

That just sounds like a really bad idea but I'm guessing they're a lot smarter than I.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Scrapez posted:

That just sounds like a really bad idea but I'm guessing they're a lot smarter than I.

Nah it burned up in entrance to the atmosphere because they screwed up the conversion. :haw:

VVVV wow, your post appeared in between the time it took me to click "submit" and the page actually displaying.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Scrapez posted:

Did you read that? It did turn out bad. :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Scrapez posted:

Consider your intelligence well validated.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

err, oops. I didn't catch the sarcasm in the post so I didn't click the link.

I am smarter than a rocket scientist, kind of.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to go put my Givi rack on the VFR.

Stopped when I found one of the Allen bolts holding the tail plastic on to be stripped.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Washed the bike and lubed the chain in preparation for some extended riding this weekend. Found the nuts on one side missing from the chain adjuster. :blush:
Popped over to the hardware store and found some replacements. Luckily I just lost the nuts and washer and not the end cap.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Started putting the new wheels on. Got the front wheel on but the pads are rubbing on the rotor way too much. :(

Going to have to pull the brake tomorrow and see what's up there. Hopefully just grime in the caliper and a good cleaning will cure it.

Didn't even get to the back wheel. I have a laced rear and a mag front right now. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Slim Pickens posted:

U.S. needs to convert so I don't have to buy twice as many sockets and wrenches anymore, and to piss off the tea party crazies.

The British burned Washington once and you're all ready to convert to their system of measurement. 8/24/18 Never Forget :911: