Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Given some of the fiddly controls and small things that you have to precisely click on, I'm kind of baffled that they ported Deus Ex to PS2. How do you ever have a chance of disabling explosives?

A lot of people who play console games a lot don't generally have as much a problem with this as you'd think. With that said, Deus Ex on the PC is still a mind-bogglingly superior experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AXE COP posted:

press A to BOMB

press A to automatically kill shifty mechanic

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police
Thanks to this thread, I've installed and am playing through Deus Ex for the first time. Three thoughts so far: gently caress transgenics, gently caress Commandos, and gently caress MIBs.

My god. Why didn't I play this sooner?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Commandos are pretty much the toughest out-and-out combatants MJ12 has. Always try to get the drop on them, and if they're with a group, always take them out first. Aggressive Defense is useful against them because it protects you from their mini-rockets pretty effectively, but their machine guns are still quite dangerous. If you don't have AD, or don't want to use the bio-energy, erratically strafing back and forth will cause them to miss with their rockets as they try to lead you.

MiBs are also very nasty customers, but they don't have the Commando resistance to energy and toxins. This is extremely handy - a flamethrower, tranq dart, or gas grenade will make short work of these guys. The gas grenade is an especially good bet, since they'll stop and rub their eyes and you can hit them from behind with the prod to either a) stun and significantly hurt them or b) immediately knock them out without the annoying explosion that comes from killing them. You can also do this trick with pepper spray, if you're willing to risk getting that close.

Transgenics are total poo poo though. Greasels are alright if you can predict and dodge their spit, but Karkians are just massive douchebags. Never go head-on against a full-grown Karkian; either hide from it or blow it the gently caress up with the most explosive weapon you've got. The adults are faster than you are without the legs upgrade, and they can instantly tear off your legs with a solid charge.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 7, 2010

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

MiBs are also very nasty customers, but they don't have the Commando resistance to energy and toxins. This is extremely handy - a flamethrower, tranq dart, or gas grenade will make short work of these guys. The gas grenade is an especially good bet, since they'll stop and rub their eyes and you can hit them from behind with the prod to either a) stun and significantly hurt them or b) immediately knock them out without the annoying explosion that comes from killing them. You can also do this trick with pepper spray, if you're willing to risk getting that close.

Killing a MiB and watching the chain reaction take out nearby bad guys is really rewarding.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

etalian posted:

Killing a MiB and watching the chain reaction take out nearby bad guys is really rewarding.

Especially when there's multiple MiBs and non-MiBs clustered together.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Angry Diplomat posted:

sage advice

I've been sneaking past a lot of poo poo, sometimes resorting to my cloak or radar transparency, and for things like MIBs and commandos that I can't avoid I dip into my stash of LAMs and GEP rockets.

I've managed to get to the underwater lab, though I'm dangerously low on biocells and energy. Hell, I had to get through half the on-shore section with no energy or cells, and I still managed to clear the whole thing out with plenty of patience and a few GEP rockets. Not looking forward to dealing with the transgenics that appear to be loose in the labs, though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
There's a lot of plasma gun bashing in this thread. I'm curious as to how many people have actually gotten heavy weapons expert and given it a few upgrades before dismissing it; you can move as fast with it as a pistol, it becomes 100% accurate, and it's utterly lethal to anything save the largest bots. The spread of shots you start with ends up concentrated, and it has sufficient area of effect damage to kill anyone in the blast radius. The only things the plasma gun doesn't annihilate are the bots that actually cause the ground to shake (military bots of both sizes) and Simons, the Commandos have the energy shield aug, but it doesn't save them.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Velius posted:

There's a lot of plasma gun bashing in this thread. I'm curious as to how many people have actually gotten heavy weapons expert and given it a few upgrades before dismissing it; you can move as fast with it as a pistol, it becomes 100% accurate, and it's utterly lethal to anything save the largest bots. The spread of shots you start with ends up concentrated, and it has sufficient area of effect damage to kill anyone in the blast radius. The only things the plasma gun doesn't annihilate are the bots that actually cause the ground to shake (military bots of both sizes) and Simons, the Commandos have the energy shield aug, but it doesn't save them.

The point is that it's goddamn huge and the GEP gun kills EVERYTHING, has homing rockets and can still waste a horde of infantry with white phosphorus.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Tanith posted:

The point is that it's goddamn huge and the GEP gun kills EVERYTHING, has homing rockets and can still waste a horde of infantry with white phosphorus.

And it makes an excellent lockpick substitute! :eng101:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

30 Second Artbomb posted:

And it makes an excellent lockpick substitute! :eng101:

And it does all this without having to take any skill points.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You know what Shifter needs to do?

Add in Achievements/Trophies. I'm serious. I'm not a huge Trophy whore by any stretch, but when games that are just ridiculously fun to play and don't twitch-happy nonsense trophies like "Get 2000 kills with X weapon" or "Kill X dudes in 5 seconds" and instead have interesting stuff like "Escape the MJ12 base under UNATCO without being seen," that would be pretty sweet, and just a fun aside to mess around with.

It also lets us divert this thread by having a discussion for good trophies. Obligatory ones:

What a shame.
Fail to save Pa Renton's life.

A Bomb!
Take out the sketchy mechanic and help Jock find the bomb on the chopper.

It'sa me, JC!
Kill an enemy by jumping on its head from a great height.

What's a lockpick?
Unlock a door without using a lockpick or key.

Something witty involving Killphrases
Take out both Gunther and Navarre with their respective killphrases.

Go!

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

It already does, they're called skill point bonuses. Shifter adds in a bunch extra, including a "Good hygiene" bonus for flushing a dirty toilet.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fuzz posted:

Something witty involving Killphrases
Take out both Gunther and Navarre with their respective killphrases.

Go!

Sticks and Stones
400 milliamps of hurt.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Angry Diplomat posted:

Commandos are pretty much the toughest out-and-out combatants MJ12 has. Always try to get the drop on them

Cannot emphasize this too much. Headshots from the sniper rifle will wreck commandos.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Fuzz posted:

It also lets us divert this thread by having a discussion for good trophies.
Pacifist: Complete the game with no more than 2 kills (it's possible with 0 but requires some game breaking).

Official UNATCO Initiation: Complete the tutorial with one or fewer legs intact.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Spaz Medicine posted:

I had to line up my crosshairs ahead of time and charge straight at it. Disarming was a bitch and a half.

It was almost as bad as trying to pick up a ring in Morrowind on the xbox controller.

The vein in my neck gave an anticipatory throb upon reading that--I immediately thought about that chameleon ring in that pond surrounded by 2 thugs at the northeast part of the map. Man, that whole little set-piece would be a chore with a controller.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Tanith posted:

My last playthrough I carried both, along with a pistol. It worked great

Also

A GEP's a bad choice for close-range combat.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Lordpen posted:

A GEP's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Agreed. Stick with the prod.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Another fine example of NPCs unlocking doors for JC is in the first minute of this speedrun video. The speedrunner hurls a gas grenade at the walls of the UNATCO building. Some guard inside the building gets a lungful of gas and decides to open the front doors to yell at JC. JC waits for him to open the doors and immediately shoots him in the face. Wammo-blammo, JC is inside UNATCO without having to even look at the Statue of Liberty.

The best part of this trick is JC shooting the guard in the face while Alex is trying to tell JC to 'remember the Academy stealth course'.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Agreed. Stick with the dragon tooth sword.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Prod with the sword?

More seriously, can Anna and Gunther be tranked?

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Anna is completely immune, I'd imagine Gunther is also.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Welcome to UNATCO HQ

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Lonjon posted:

Another fine example of NPCs unlocking doors for JC is in the first minute of this speedrun video

Holy wow, the part where he surfs an EMP grenade down from Maggie's apartment is insane! :aaa:

(in video 3)

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Le Sean posted:

The vein in my neck gave an anticipatory throb upon reading that--I immediately thought about that chameleon ring in that pond surrounded by 2 thugs at the northeast part of the map. Man, that whole little set-piece would be a chore with a controller.

Anything involving small objects in that game is a chore with a controller, and anyone that thinks a gamepad is just as precise as a mouse has never tried to play the Xbox version of Morrowind.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Lonjon posted:

speedrun video

Jesus, JC.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Fuzz posted:

What a shame.
Fail to save Pa Renton's life.

The secondary unit is disappointing
Lock Walton Simons in a cupboard.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
More crazy NPC lockpicking and speedrun grenade surfing in this here video. At the linked part of the video (8m7s) JC surfs an activated LAM down the side of a building and enters the Paris catacombs. Once inside he shoots an unfortunate MJ12 trooper twice - once in the chest, once in the nuts. The trooper flees and JC follows, cutting down all of the poor wounded trooper's buddies as they stumble across them. Finally, the bleeding trooper reaches and unlocks an INF/INF door in a desperate bid for freedom only to have JC knife him in the spleen and leave him for dead.

Total time in the Paris catacombs: 1 minute 27 seconds. 8 casualties. Could have been more deaths, but JC can't be bothered to kill anyone that is not directly between point A (JC Denton) and point B (where JC Denton wants to be). Exception: If JC knows that you're carrying a biocell or grenade you're hosed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lonjon posted:

Total time in the Paris catacombs: 1 minute 27 seconds. 8 casualties. Could have been more deaths, but JC can't be bothered to kill anyone that is not directly between point A (JC Denton) and point B (where JC Denton wants to be). Exception: If JC knows that you're carrying a biocell or grenade you're hosed.

Jesus Christ, JC! Should've prodded him to unconsciousness. He's suffered enough.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jesus Christ, JC! Should've prodded him to unconsciousness. He's suffered enough.
But then he'd bleed out from the bullet wounds! JC is a merciful god.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I really have to get around to a no-item playthrough one of these years

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So who else starts to hear the sound that the cameras make when they rotate after they've played too much Deus Ex?

My hearing is augmented.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Carbohydrates posted:

Official UNATCO Initiation: Complete the tutorial with one or fewer legs intact.

I completed this achievement on my first ever runthrough. I was unaware of how fragile the TNT crates are and tried to throw one at a chicken-legs bot.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's pretty much the point, EVERYONE blows their legs up the first time they play the tutorial.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I never blew off my legs in the Tutorial, but I did it in the first 30 seconds I was on Liberty Island.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I really have to get around to a no-item playthrough one of these years

I tried that once on realistic. I didn't pick up any items except augmentations and augmentation upgrade canisters. It's a pretty fun way to play, but it got too frustrating around Hong Kong for me to continue with it.

One of my best moments was killing that one lone patrolling NSF guard who you run into while in the sewers on the way to La Guardia airport. The door he's guarding requires either lockpicks or his nanokey to open. Since I couldn't use lockpicking due to it being a no item run, I had to kill him. It took me about 45 minutes of quickloading and crate stacking before I managed to bug out his pathfinding and jump on his head enough times Super Mario style to take him out. That was pretty much my favorite Deus Ex kill ever.

I ended up quitting my no item run the second time you have to go into Versalife. You can't get in the back way (the way the game tells you to go) since you can't use lockpicks, and the front entrance is not exactly fun times for someone with no weapons and limited bioenergy, since it is absolutely filled to the brim with a whole platoon of MJ12 troops.

Still, playing through the first half of the game using no items was pretty drat awesome as a proof of concept thing.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You know what Shifter needs to do?

Add in Achievements/Trophies.
I haven't tried it yet, but the description claims this mod has them: http://www.moddb.com/mods/biomod/downloads/biomod-beta-7

I could really use a mod that's just fixes, it's kind of strange it took so long to happen. I don't like some of the changes Shifter made, but I can't play without others.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

K8.0 posted:

That's pretty much the point, EVERYONE blows their legs up the first time they play the tutorial.

I've introduced several of my friends to this game. Every single time, I told them I'd give them 5 bucks (or around that much) if they managed to get through the tutorial level with legs intact.

I've never paid anyone a dime :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
jc is the coldest motherfucker

after killing navarre on the plane and getting back to UNATCO:

quote:

ALEX
What the HELL were you thinking, JC?

JC DENTON
Agent Navarre was out-of-line. I had no choice.

ALEX
They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.

JC DENTON
Neither did I.