Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Robert Denby posted:

Anybody got this yet? Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Universe Master posted:

Anybody got this yet? Any good?

Yes, it's pretty good. You get to hear Mike's annoyed Jimmy Stewart-like impersonation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zimbomonkey posted:

so how do you get both audio tracks playing at once?

My TV has the setup of cable jacks on both the front and back, so with the DVD player, which is playing the RiffTrax, I just plug in one of the audio cables.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Tony Danza Claus posted:

How in the hell are you supposed to be rooting for the giant animals that ruthlessly kill people?

Uh, if you mean the Na'Vi, that's probably because they weren't doing anything other than hanging around their giant tree. Whenever the military encroached near their territory, they'd get aggressive but I don't remember them just killing people for no reason. There's not a lot of "plot" here to defend, but I thought it was pretty obvious why the military were the evil ones here.

And, of course, one of their commanders happened to be one of the dumbest strawmen I've ever seen; "DUUUUUHHHH, WHAT ARE ELECTROMAGNETS STOP WITH THE SCIENCE-Y TALK :saddowns:".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
New short is up:

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/kittens-birth-and-growth

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

The Avatar riff is one of my favorites simply for the Lemonparty reference.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm pretty sure 2.5 hours of innovative drilling techniques would have been much more interesting.

Worked for Armageddon! :v:

Wait... no it didn't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
New short is up: Reading: Who Needs It?

It's a double-length short ($1.99). The copyright says 1981, but it stinks of the 70s.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There is simply no way to describe the hellish, nightmarish terrorscape that is One Got Fat.

Everyone should buy it right now.

Also, the new kittens one is really good too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tony Danza Claus posted:

There is simply no way to describe the hellish, nightmarish terrorscape that is One Got Fat.

Everyone should buy it right now.

Also, the new kittens one is really good too.

Go on. Try to sleep now.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Go on. Try to sleep now.

That short is HORRIFYING.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
I actually just turned the Avatar RT off like 1/3 way through.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Am I hearing it correctly that the next riff will be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Vicissitude posted:

Am I hearing it correctly that the next riff will be Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?

Next Friday.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Yet another short is up:

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/families-food-and-eating

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They are REALLY churning those out! Not that I'm complaining!

Wish they posted statistics of an idea of how many they've sold.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Wiseblood posted:

Next Friday.

drat it. Those movies are horrible.

Do GI Joe or Return of the King already!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

They are REALLY churning those out! Not that I'm complaining!

Wish they posted statistics of an idea of how many they've sold.
I used to buy them as they came out. Haven't bought any for a while but I have 45 so far :psyduck:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've bought 38 in the last month because there have been so few full length riffs coming out.

I regret none of them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

drat it. Those movies are horrible.

Do GI Joe or Return of the King already!

HP Rifftrax are probably my favo(u)rite. The movies aren't as flat-out unwatchable as some of the other material, and the riffers always seem to be firing on all cylinders. Plus, some good callbacks.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just bought One Got Fat, it is even more horrifying than I imagined.

They made a MST3K callback though. :3: "No springs! *whistle*"

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

One Got Fat and Moose Baby are two must haves from the short collection.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wiseblood posted:

Next Friday.

Oh God. This is going to be incredible for the shots they're gonna take at Robert Pattinson alone.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Universe Master posted:

One Got Fat and Moose Baby are two must haves from the short collection.

Okay, so I got Moose Baby too. It's plenty weird all on its own. I'm not too excited over the riff narration but I think this is one of those things they did more for their own entertainment than for an audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenaged Drug Addict is a rather hilarious recent one.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Corridor posted:

Okay, so I got Moose Baby too. It's plenty weird all on its own. I'm not too excited over the riff narration but I think this is one of those things they did more for their own entertainment than for an audience.

The first five minutes with the jumps just killed me.

"Helloooo......Moose Baby?"

"First, he had learned to manage his long wob-" "And we cut that word because it was filthy."

"The effort of his first steps tired Moose Baby, and he-" "and he died, apparently"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

fenix down posted:

I used to buy them as they came out. Haven't bought any for a while but I have 45 so far :psyduck:

I tried to figure out how much I've spent on Rifftrax since 2006. I've bought every "official" riff, 16 of the "presents" and every short. I've had to buy a couple of the movies on DVD (thank god for Columbia House's cheap prices) because I couldn't rent them (pre-Netflix) or find them elsewhere. I've probably rented about three dozen from video stores and Netflix. The rest I have in my collection, borrowed from friends, or recorded off TV.

If you add in the commercial DVDs from Legend films, the merchandise (T-shirt and Mike bobble head) and the live shows, I've probably dropped about $600-700.

A bargain if you ask me.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

HP Rifftrax are probably my favo(u)rite. The movies aren't as flat-out unwatchable as some of the other material, and the riffers always seem to be firing on all cylinders. Plus, some good callbacks.

I tend to pop a riff on my ipod nano at night to help me shut my brain off and go to sleep, and the HP ones are the ones I put on most often, and I can pretty much recite all the jokes as the come.

My favorite, off the top of my head: "Yes, you must exercise extreme caution when handling any big bird" "Yes, and look at Mr Hooper, he forgot that advice." "And now he's DEAD!" Or something to that effect, during the Buckbeak scene.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CommanderApaul posted:

I tend to pop a riff on my ipod nano at night to help me shut my brain off and go to sleep, and the HP ones are the ones I put on most often, and I can pretty much recite all the jokes as the come.

My favorite, off the top of my head: "Yes, you must exercise extreme caution when handling any big bird" "Yes, and look at Mr Hooper, he forgot that advice." "And now he's DEAD!" Or something to that effect, during the Buckbeak scene.

I always laugh hysterically during the Diagon Alley scenes in HP1:

"And there's where you'll get all your bits and bobs for your wizardry!"
"Do NOT attempt wizardry without bits and bobs!!"

"Mr. Harry Potter would like to make a withdrawal!"
"If that's ok with you, corpse of Benjamin Franklin."

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I didn't get on that well with Avatar. It was good, but the riffs weren't much about the movie itself I felt; not enough venom.

I thought the best laugh was the exasperation of all of them when he takes out the knife at the end. I guess I wanted more stuff like that you know, more pointing out the stupid poo poo.

Looking forward to the Goblet though, especially considering it's the first big Twilight/Harry Potter crossover with old Foot-Face an' all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oh yeah, the Harry Potter riffs are some of the best. I'm just not strong enough to sit through another 5 hour quibbitch game.

Prisoner of Azkiban:

"Ah yes, the belltower. The perfect hangout spot for the depressed kid with a crappy home life."

"So quibbitch games and fighting horrifying monsters and demons is okay, but he needs a permission slip to go the candy store."

"Hi! I'm your new gay Dumbeldor."

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
The Harry Potter riffs have been some of my favorites, probably since I'm genuinely a fan of the series. I've been waiting for Goblet for a long time, hope they don't take too long with the next one.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just got the first HP riff, it's pretty good and I laughed all the way, but it seems to play along with the story a lot. Like making fun of Dursley for being fat and unpleasant, Dudley for being annoying (and fat), Malfoy for being a snob, etc.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
I've pretty much seen all of the official Rifftrax. Has anybody tried any of the iRiffs?

I'd imagine that most of them are horrible, but there ought to be at least a few decent ones.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Weyd posted:

I've pretty much seen all of the official Rifftrax. Has anybody tried any of the iRiffs?

I'd imagine that most of them are horrible, but there ought to be at least a few decent ones.
All the Riff Raff Theater riffs are excellent so grab them all - one of the dudes is a goon from this thread too. Also the Superman 4 riff is outstanding so you should definitely get that.

I'd stay away from everything else really but absolutely get those; they're easily up to the standard of the main riffs.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Corridor posted:

I just got the first HP riff, it's pretty good and I laughed all the way, but it seems to play along with the story a lot. Like making fun of Dursley for being fat and unpleasant, Dudley for being annoying (and fat), Malfoy for being a snob, etc.

"TELL SAUSAGE I LOVE IIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I watched the New Moon rifftrax - it wasn't as good as the Twilight one in my opinion (mostly because the movie was just so drat long and grueling) but still great. I think my favorite parts were "a complete sentence?.......NO, she's 0 for 50" and "I left a note - you saw me write it right before we just rushed out of the house together"

I somehow didn't notice how long the pauses in the lines were until the rifftrax pointed it out. Goddamn. That movie would probably literally be a good 10-20 minutes shorter if they would just say their lines in one go.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ainsley McTree posted:

I somehow didn't notice how long the pauses in the lines were until the rifftrax pointed it out. Goddamn. That movie would probably literally be a good 10-20 minutes shorter if they would just say their lines in one go.

Someone pointed out in the twilight megathread in GBS that the dialogue from the books is almost nonexistent.

Because it's a lovely harlequin romance more time is spent describing what Edward's eyes were doing while he said 5 words so you get a 300 word description to accompany 5 words of dialogue.

To fix this
the
characters
they...
they
speak
in a...
...in a
stilted
dialogue
with
lots of
stammering.

It's really unforgivable filmmaking.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It's really unforgivable filmmaking.
I think it's more to do with the fact that there's basically no plot and they had to get a 90 minute runtime somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Plavski posted:

I think it's more to do with the fact that there's basically no plot and they had to get a 90 minute runtime somehow.

And then kept going until they had 140 minute runtime. :suicide:

• Locked thread