Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Saw a bit of this, and can't find it to watch the rest. It's a black and white movie, but fairly contemporary, shot in the noir style. It's a musical. It is narrated by a streetcar operator named Johnny, and centers around his doomed love and marriage with a lounge singe named Eve Peyton. One memorable scene is where she decides to go perform at the club on their wedding night. When asked if she couldn't have booked it off, she coldly replies: "What makes you think I want to?"

It was a fairly dark and surreal movie, and could have been a NFB or other independent movie.

Edit: Better details and typo fix.

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Vergeh posted:

Saw a bit of this, and can't find it to watch the rest. It's a black and white movie, but fairly contemporary, shot in the noir style. It's a musical. It is narrated by a streetcar operator named Johnny, and centers around his doomed love and marriage with a lounge singe named Eve Peyton. One memorable scene is where she decides to go perform at the club on their wedding night. When asked if she couldn't have booked it off, she coldly replies: "What makes you think I want to?"

It was a fairly dark and surreal movie, and could have been a NFB or other independent movie.

Edit: Better details and typo fix.

If you got the character name right it's highly indepedant since the only character named Eve Peyton was a nurse in ER according to IMDB.

It's obviously not a Street Car Named Desire so this sounds something really indie. Black and white musicals that were made in the last twenty years are pretty unheard of. Wish imdb had a better search routine since black white, musical denoated to years would have been quite handy.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Identified it using the words in one of the songs.

Black Widow. Can't even find that sumbitch on Amazon.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

burdt posted:

This might be a collage of movie memories but bear with me.

Setting is medieval. A woman is executed, possibly in front of her child. She is choked. I think there's also a public burning later on. But maybe she's choked and then burned. I think an old lady screams bloody vengeance upon those burning her. So vague...

I saw this as a kid in the early nineties. I also remember a bald man that looks like Christopher Lloyd in the Adam's Family; he might be the main antagonist. And a pale woman that witnesses the executions as a child somehow gets revenge. Don't trust these plot memories though, they might be half made up.

I definitely remember an important female character being made mute by means of tongue mutilation or something like that.

The last vague memory is someone (the bald man?) being bricked into a wall of whatever dungeon of sorts he used to function out of.

It's almost surely Stuart Gordon's 1991 version of "The Pit and the Pendulum", as zombieman said. If not, however, your description reminds me a lot of Paul Verhoeven's medieval action flick "Flesh + Blood".

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Vergeh posted:

Black Widow. Can't even find that sumbitch on Amazon.

It's a bit of a long shot, but you could try contacting the producers: http://www.enigmaticofilms.com/

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

kapalama posted:

Here's a movie that had an unknown function device: Galaxy Quest.

It could be this. I don't remember the mystery device but it makes sense.

I just seem to remember that nobody knows what the button does at all. Almost like the button in the Wonka-vater, where nobody has ever pressed it.

In "The Box" and "Button, Button" it is explained what the button does.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Please help, my lady friend is trying to remember a movie where someone shushes someone else, putting there finger over the person's mouth and smushing it all around.

From a comedy, she thinks Dumb & Dumber but I'm not so sure. I seem to remember a girl doing it to a guy...?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Maytag posted:

Please help, my lady friend is trying to remember a movie where someone shushes someone else, putting there finger over the person's mouth and smushing it all around.

From a comedy, she thinks Dumb & Dumber but I'm not so sure. I seem to remember a girl doing it to a guy...?

I feel like this happens in one of the Hot Shots! movies.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Maytag posted:

This does happen in Dumb and Dumber. Lloyd does it to Mary in the beginning, before she gets on the plane.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

the Bunt posted:

This does happen in Dumb and Dumber. Lloyd does it to Mary in the beginning, before she gets on the plane.

I've almost found a clip of it, but someone did some stupid editing, the only clip I've found shows just before and just after.

Thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction!

Got it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPq7YukE1rk

Kinda thinking it was also used in Hot Shots, or maybe Naked Gun? I remember a sexy bedroom scene maybe...

Maytag fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 5, 2010

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Maytag posted:

I've almost found a clip of it, but someone did some stupid editing, the only clip I've found shows just before and just after.

Thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction!

Got it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPq7YukE1rk

Kinda thinking it was also used in Hot Shots, or maybe Naked Gun? I remember a sexy bedroom scene maybe...

I'm 99% sure it's in Hot Shots as well, that smoking hot foreign babe is shushed this way.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Saw about a few minutes of this on TCM the other morning, but had to leave before I could find out what it is. It's a silent film, probably late-20s if I were to guess, and the scene I saw had an older man, 40s/50s, sitting in front of the fireplace in his house, cooking his dinner. A younger woman comes in, tells the man, named George, about how her husband died, and asks the man to marry her. The man says no, something about how he's tired of love and life, or something like that. Judging by the clothes they were wearing, I think it was set in the 1820s/1830s.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw about a few minutes of this on TCM the other morning, but had to leave before I could find out what it is. It's a silent film, probably late-20s if I were to guess, and the scene I saw had an older man, 40s/50s, sitting in front of the fireplace in his house, cooking his dinner. A younger woman comes in, tells the man, named George, about how her husband died, and asks the man to marry her. The man says no, something about how he's tired of love and life, or something like that. Judging by the clothes they were wearing, I think it was set in the 1820s/1830s.

If it's on TCM, it should be easy to find. http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=5/3/2010&timezone=EST&cid=N

Could be The Runaway Bride, that has a character named George.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Beau Brummell (the title character's real name is George).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Black and white film ... woman is in what I believe was a confessional booth and a man is lighting matches and throwing them at her as an intimidation tactic.

I should know this, but I can't recall which film it was and it's bothering me.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Maytag posted:

I remember something similar being used in Bullets Over Broadway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I remember something similar being used in Bullets Over Broadway.

I think they do something similar on Stella, as well.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhut up

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I don't know if this this was a theatrical release or a made for tv movie when I was a kid, but this was probably released in the late 80s/early 90s.

There was an author guy. Tall, lanky, blonde hair, glasses. He got sucked into a book that he was writing. I think there was a wizard, a princess, a dragon, etc. It's definitely NOT Pagemaster.

The movie started out as live-action, then changed to animated after the switch.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Capsaicin posted:

I don't know if this this was a theatrical release or a made for tv movie when I was a kid, but this was probably released in the late 80s/early 90s.

There was an author guy. Tall, lanky, blonde hair, glasses. He got sucked into a book that he was writing. I think there was a wizard, a princess, a dragon, etc. It's definitely NOT Pagemaster.

The movie started out as live-action, then changed to animated after the switch.

Sounds vagely familiar and I have never seen pagemaster. I think it may have been direct to video too. It's not Flight of the Dragons since I don't think that started off live action and there are no live action actors listed.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

notcreativeenough posted:

Sounds vagely familiar and I have never seen pagemaster. I think it may have been direct to video too. It's not Flight of the Dragons since I don't think that started off live action and there are no live action actors listed.

Just looked it up. That's it.

Gobeachfrog
Jan 30, 2008

by Fistgrrl
A french movie set in north Africa.
A man lures a doctor into the desert under
false pretences with the intention of killing
him because he blames the doctor for his wifes
death.
At one point in the movie, they cross a ravine
in a tiny cable car

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Action Jacktion posted:

Beau Brummell (the title character's real name is George).

Yes, that's it. Thanks.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Here's another one for people who grew up with lovely movies on TV.

There was a movie on MTV probably around 1998-1999. I think it was their second made-for-TV movie after 2ge+her. It's about a guy who turns 18 and has sex with his girlfriend on his 18th birthday. She's 15 (or 16). He goes to trial and has to register as a sex offender.

Any idea what the movie was?

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Capsaicin posted:

Here's another one for people who grew up with lovely movies on TV.

There was a movie on MTV probably around 1998-1999. I think it was their second made-for-TV movie after 2ge+her. It's about a guy who turns 18 and has sex with his girlfriend on his 18th birthday. She's 15 (or 16). He goes to trial and has to register as a sex offender.

Any idea what the movie was?

Jailbait I believe. Seriously went for the obvious with that name.

edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226009/ appears to be the proper one.

anticake fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 8, 2010

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

I've got another, from the early to mid-90's. I can't remember the main plot, but it's set in a post-apocolyptic future, and one of the subplots is about archeologists digging up junk from the 20th century to sell to the small population of rich people. The very first scene is set to the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey as archeologists uncover something big and seemingly monumental. What they're uncovering is obscured and only shown in bits and pieces as the music builds. As the music ends, with all it's triumphant grandeur, the object is finally revealed as it's lifted by a crane to soar across the sky. It's a Frisch's Big Boy statue.

There's similar scene later on involving them finding what turns out to be a dildo.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

I've got another, from the early to mid-90's. I can't remember the main plot, but it's set in a post-apocolyptic future, and one of the subplots is about archeologists digging up junk from the 20th century to sell to the small population of rich people. The very first scene is set to the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey as archeologists uncover something big and seemingly monumental. What they're uncovering is obscured and only shown in bits and pieces as the music builds. As the music ends, with all it's triumphant grandeur, the object is finally revealed as it's lifted by a crane to soar across the sky. It's a Frisch's Big Boy statue.

There's similar scene later on involving them finding what turns out to be a dildo.

Searching iMDB for other uses of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" leads me to Rising Storm

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This 20 second clip I saw as a kid in the mid 80s was of a possible conan or nuclear holocaust style film.
Basically a woman (not sure, think it was) is hanging upside down tied to a rope. Below her is a spike pit and the rope is set on fire. Not sure if this is a test for her to get out of, or an execution, but she fails and falls into the pit. Theres also a group of people standing arouns watching this.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
This movie must have been on dvd between 2000-2005.
Everything in the movie took place within a single house if I remember correctly. I don't remember much beyond that though, just little flashes of a couple elements: A man being crazy, police coming to the door, barricading the door, hallucinations or a man being very sick, pills, dropping pills down a drain maybe? I remember finding the movie really boring because I was young and it was such a closed setting but I think I might like it now. Sorry that's not much to go on though.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

PaleInkedBoy posted:

Everything in the movie took place within a single house if I remember correctly. I don't remember much beyond that though, just little flashes of a couple elements: A man being crazy, police coming to the door, barricading the door, hallucinations or a man being very sick, pills, dropping pills down a drain maybe? I remember finding the movie really boring because I was young and it was such a closed setting but I think I might like it now. Sorry that's not much to go on though.

A long shot, but maybe it was the Pink Floyd movie?

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

northerain posted:

A long shot, but maybe it was the Pink Floyd movie?

Nope, it definitely wasn't that, but I watched that one to check, interesting.

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run
OK so I have two.

The first i remember from a youtube video. It was a long panning shot a really big line of traffic. This goes on for several minutes until it reaches the end revealing a car accident. I think the film was French or maybe even Italian and looked to be made in the 60's or 70s.

The second is a film I saw late at night on some lovely channel. It was about this team of computer game developers in competition to make the most evil computer character to something like that. I think a lightning strike hit the building and the video game characters come to life. It was loving awful (as you might guess) and it looked like it was made in the mid to late 90s.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Halfsharkalligator posted:

OK so I have two.

The first i remember from a youtube video. It was a long panning shot a really big line of traffic. This goes on for several minutes until it reaches the end revealing a car accident. I think the film was French or maybe even Italian and looked to be made in the 60's or 70s.

The second is a film I saw late at night on some lovely channel. It was about this team of computer game developers in competition to make the most evil computer character to something like that. I think a lightning strike hit the building and the video game characters come to life. It was loving awful (as you might guess) and it looked like it was made in the mid to late 90s.

First one could be Week End:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062480/

Second one could be Virtuosity:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114857/

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Halfsharkalligator posted:

It sounds like How to Make a Monster.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281919/

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run

zombieman posted:

First one could be Week End:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062480/
Yes!

and

SneakySneaks posted:

It sounds like How to Make a Monster.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281919/

Yes!

Thanks y'all d(-_')>

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm looking for an American movie that was on some movie channel as early as 1996 or 97... Here's what I remember:

- main character had to get a job where he needed a suit, and his boss lent him a tie for some reason. He had black hair and was all serious. I think his job was in sales of something.
- he had an awkward roommate, a little chubby, glasses, light brown or blonde hair.
- the roommate possibly killed himself for some reason?

Geez, I know that's barely any information... Sorry and thanks in advance!

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Searching iMDB for other uses of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" leads me to Rising Storm

Thank you! That's definitely it.

Dammit, I need to quit half-remembering movies that aren't on Netflix.

Calamity James
Apr 23, 2010

And I'll see you when the sun sets east, don't forget me.

PaleInkedBoy posted:

That sounds an awful lot like Chasing Sleep.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221069/

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Cross posting from the help remember stuff thread in GBS...

I'm trying to remember/find a short film I saw a long rear end time ago (several years). The premise was that all the forests had been cut down and so fairytale creatures had to move to the city (Hollywood or LA i think). There was a normal human guy who was dating a fairy or vampire or something, and the point of the movie was that he had to go finally meet her family.

All I remember is that the girls mother was called baba yaga, the girls sister was addicted to heroin, there was a talking mouse that "helped" the guy on his quest to impress the family, and one part of the quest involved an endless pile of salt/sugar.

I think I first saw it on Atom films which seems to be called atom.com now and doesn't even deal with independent film any more as far as I can tell. :smith:

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Rotten Punk posted:

All I remember is that the girls mother was called baba yaga, the girls sister was addicted to heroin, there was a talking mouse that "helped" the guy on his quest to impress the family, and one part of the quest involved an endless pile of salt/sugar.

I think (but I'm not positive) that this may have aired on Sci-Fi's Exposure. I just vaguely remember it, but the bit about Baba Yaga rings a bell. Also, I'm pretty sure Exposure had some of involvement with Atom Films, so that makes me a little more confident.

However, I can't seem to find a list of films that aired on Exposure. SyFy has killed their exposure site, IMDB's episode list doesn't seem to contain any information on the films that were shown, and worst of all, some dickhead deleted Wikipedia's List of Exposure films page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Erasmus Darwin posted:

I think (but I'm not positive) that this may have aired on Sci-Fi's Exposure. I just vaguely remember it, but the bit about Baba Yaga rings a bell. Also, I'm pretty sure Exposure had some of involvement with Atom Films, so that makes me a little more confident.

However, I can't seem to find a list of films that aired on Exposure. SyFy has killed their exposure site, IMDB's episode list doesn't seem to contain any information on the films that were shown, and worst of all, some dickhead deleted Wikipedia's List of Exposure films page.

Thank you! According to the IMDB page for Exposure the short was called Fairy Town. Not that it makes it any easier to find, but at least I have a name. :unsmith: