Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo, I totally forgot that Samsara recently finished shooting after about 3 years and should be coming out fairly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

FitFortDanga posted:

Have you seen Baraka? You'd probably dig it.

I'll get on it in a little while, I've got Powaqqatsi sat here and I'm gonna give it a few weeks. Gotta give Koyaanisqatsi some time to sink in.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Sorry for the double post but I reckon I might as well ask now. After looking up Baraka, I see that it is available in a box set with a film called Chronos. Is it worth getting the double feature for a little extra or is that film passable?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I am an enormous fan of Philip Glass. Koyaanisqatsi is an achievement that the other -qaatsi's do not match. Nor do the other movies of that kind.

Since I felt no particular argument/plot/continuity in the way the films were released, I would say Koyaanisqaatsi, then Naqoyqaatsi, the Powaqaatsi.

If I lived somewhere that did midnight/special showings of these I would gladly see them again.

boating safety
Jan 3, 2001

Are you okay?
Sorry didn't see the other thread.. moved!

boating safety fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 2, 2010

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

boating safety posted:

What is the movie where people (kids?) fall down a chute into a backyard(?) that resembles a junkyard with mutants(?) that say the line "You're the fat one Bobo, you ate all the cereal?". Google turns up nothing!

Sounds a bit like Little Monsters.

boating safety
Jan 3, 2001

Are you okay?
Not quite.. I wish I could remember more!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

If it's Chevy Chase instead of kids, it might be Nothing But Trouble

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_but_Trouble_(1991_film)

E: Yeah, one of the inbred mutants is even called Bobo

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In 2001 how did they do that shot of him walking all the way around the wheel? Did they build a giant wheel and strap everything down so it wouldn't fall when it was upside down? Really clever use of models?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Did they build a giant wheel and strap everything down so it wouldn't fall when it was upside down?

Pretty much, yeah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr_Amazing posted:

In 2001 how did they do that shot of him walking all the way around the wheel? Did they build a giant wheel and strap everything down so it wouldn't fall when it was upside down?

Yes.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
It seems war movies (from the US) are almost always about WWII or Vietnam and that WWII movies also always seem to be fighting against the Germans, or ocasssionally the Japanese, but never the Italians and the movie never takes place in Africa.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good modern wafare (1900 or so on) movies that are not WWII or Vietnam? I have seen All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory, Jarhead, and Hurt Locker.

edit: vvvv Thanks for all the recommendations, they should keep me busy.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 6, 2010

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

jjack229 posted:

It seems war movies (from the US) are almost always about WWII or Vietnam and that WWII movies also always seem to be fighting against the Germans, or ocasssionally the Japanese, but never the Italians and the movie never takes place in Africa.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good modern wafare (1900 or so on) movies that are not WWII or Vietnam? I have seen All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory, Jarhead, and Hurt Locker.

Well, there's M.A.S.H., which is in Korea, and Three Kings (I think it was called, with George Clooney), that took place in Desert Storm. I could be wrong, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

jjack229 posted:

Wooden Crosses (WWI)
Gallipoli (WWI)
The Red and the White (Russian Civil War)

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

jjack229 posted:

Breaker Morant Boer War.
For Whom the Bell Tolls Spanish Civil War.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
In The Road Warrior, why is it that the Oil Refinery Settlers detain Max after he brings one of their dying members back to their compound? Even though the guy Max saved dies soon afterward, its still a dick move on their part. And then they seemed surprised when, after risking his life to win his freedom back, Max tells them to screw themselves and drives off alone. (rather than helping them escape the wasteland gang, although he ends up helping them anyway)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

itrorev posted:

In The Road Warrior, why is it that the Oil Refinery Settlers detain Max after he brings one of their dying members back to their compound? Even though the guy Max saved dies soon afterward, its still a dick move on their part. And then they seemed surprised when, after risking his life to win his freedom back, Max tells them to screw themselves and drives off alone. (rather than helping them escape the wasteland gang, although he ends up helping them anyway)

I think the leader even says that they can't be sure if he is one of the gang that is surrounding them or not. For all they know, he was in on killing them (dude dies, so Max's story is only his own word) and "any deal you had with him died with him" or somesuch.

Also, he looks pretty much the same as all those biker guys outside. :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is more about politics, but what does Lucas and Speilberg have against Blu Ray? I've heard over and over that both of them hate it and refuse to release anything for it.

It seems silly, as you'd think they'd both want to get part of that sweet pie. Lucas needs more flannel.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

twistedmentat posted:

This is more about politics, but what does Lucas and Speilberg have against Blu Ray? I've heard over and over that both of them hate it and refuse to release anything for it.

It seems silly, as you'd think they'd both want to get part of that sweet pie. Lucas needs more flannel.

Well, I've heard the Star Wars set is in the pipeline, and I know at least Crystal Skull is on Blu Ray.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 6, 2010

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I didn't see a reccomendations thread, so I thought I'd ask here. Are there any good documentaries or behind the scenes DVD special that goes into detail about older,practical pre-CGI special effects?

Anything will do, I'd just like to see what kinds of practical effects people were doing back in the day. Things like stop motion, puppetry, things like the 2001 wheel already mentioned, etc.

Schweinhund posted:

here's the "recommend me thread":
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186285

Thank you Schweinhund, reposting there.

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 6, 2010

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Spielberg has a few movies on Blu-Ray now (Saving Private Ryan just came out this week), so I don't know that he has anything against the format. My guess is he's just slowly putting his back catalog out on Blu-Ray so that it's a bigger deal when each individual movie comes out, which was pretty much what happened when DVD came around too. The films he made after DVD became popular always came out on a regular release schedule, but the big films from the past like Close Encounters, Jaws, E.T., Schindler's List, and the Indiana Jones films took more time.

Lucas is also probably taking his time with Star Wars for the same reason. Supposedly they're working on them now. The rumor I've heard is that they are doing one last pass of restorations and Special Edition-esque loving around to make the whole series "archival quality" and then they will put them on Blu-Ray.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

KillRoy posted:

I didn't see a reccomendations thread, so I thought I'd ask here. Are there any good documentaries or behind the scenes DVD special that goes into detail about older,practical pre-CGI special effects?

Anything will do, I'd just like to see what kinds of practical effects people were doing back in the day. Things like stop motion, puppetry, things like the 2001 wheel already mentioned, etc.

If you ever find anything for this I would love to hear about it. (I was asking about this before myself).

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

KillRoy posted:

I didn't see a reccomendations thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

here's the "recommend me thread":
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186285

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

kapalama posted:

If you ever find anything for this I would love to hear about it. (I was asking about this before myself).

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevejohnsonfx#p/u
Steve Johnson worked on various effects from Ghostbusters to Fright Night and explains how they did it.
Mostly puppetry.

The Terminator and Aliens discs go into some of the practical effects present, the Blade Runner dvds also focuses on the challenges of practical effects.
The closest to an all rounder was "Special Effects: Anything Can Happen" but that was an IMAX release and aside from some cam jobs hasn't been released on DVD.

http://kipplezone.tripod.com/id59.html
A pretty good retrospective on Douglas Trumbull who was a pioneer in 2001's effects and others.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

twistedmentat posted:

They just like to make money, they did the same thing when DVD came out. They will eventually all come out, in many versions but they are going to hold out and make a stink and make demands and make a big deal about their movies so they can get a bigger piece of the pie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

doctor thodt posted:

Optimum distributes Studio Canal stuff in the UK. They've got some pretty nice Blu-Ray packages.

Yeah. Until about 4 years ago they were independent, and distribute independent films, but then they were bought by SC and release SC product. I didn't realise they had a particular reputation for good DVD releases. Artificial Eye does some good releases too; so does Axiom.

You could just buy a multi-region Blu-ray player. I got a very nice LG Blu-ray multi-region player for about £140. You can get cheaper.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

KillRoy posted:

There's a documentary making of on John Carpenter's The Thing that isn't specifically about practical effects (it covers the making of the whole film), but has a lot of really interesting information about how some of the SFX shots in that film were created.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing the trailer for Super 8 makes me wonder, why exactly was the movie called Cloverfield anyway?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Seeing the trailer for Super 8 makes me wonder, why exactly was the movie called Cloverfield anyway?

The working title was "Untitled J.J. Abrams Project" but that was unwieldy. Abrams' production offices are located in Santa Monica off the Cloverfield Ave. exit, where there used to be an airfield named Clover Field. So to make it easier to talk about, it became the "Cloverfield Project", or just "Cloverfield" for short. Then the internet happened and the name stuck.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

Then the internet happened and the name stuck.

The explanation of about half of all modern cultural references.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 9, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

If you follow the ridiculous ARG (which I didn't, but I've read a summary) you find out that the monster used to live on the bottom of the ocean eating an aquatic plant that is both addictive and acts as a strong sedative. A soft drink company found the plant and added it to their beverage, where the addictive properties made the beverage grow more and more popular, until they harvested so much of the plant that the monster couldn't eat enough and because of this the sedative effect wore off and it started to rampage.

So the "clover field" is the patch of undersea plants, I guess, and the monster used to graze from it like a cow in a patch of clover? :wtc:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you follow the ridiculous ARG (which I didn't, but I've read a summary) you find out that the monster used to live on the bottom of the ocean eating an aquatic plant that is both addictive and acts as a strong sedative. A soft drink company found the plant and added it to their beverage, where the addictive properties made the beverage grow more and more popular, until they harvested so much of the plant that the monster couldn't eat enough and because of this the sedative effect wore off and it started to rampage.

So the "clover field" is the patch of undersea plants, I guess, and the monster used to graze from it like a cow in a patch of clover? :wtc:
This is why I tell people time and time again that "have to know" that it's honestly better not to.

SODA POP DESTROYED THE WORLD

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

So Slusho is the destroyer of all worlds?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Glass Joe posted:

The working title was "Untitled J.J. Abrams Project" but that was unwieldy. Abrams' production offices are located in Santa Monica off the Cloverfield Ave. exit, where there used to be an airfield named Clover Field. So to make it easier to talk about, it became the "Cloverfield Project", or just "Cloverfield" for short. Then the internet happened and the name stuck.

Hilarious. I pass that exit all the time, and every once in a while it makes me think about the movie. Good to know it is, indeed, connected.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Starship Troopers:
Are the special effects supposed to look bad?
(Never seen it; it's on hulu; five minutes in and I hate it so far)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

kapalama posted:

Starship Troopers:
Are the special effects supposed to look bad?
(Never seen it; it's on hulu; five minutes in and I hate it so far)

It's CGI from 1997, what else do you expect?
The direct to video sequels aren't much better.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

WebDog posted:

It's CGI from 1997, what else do you expect?
The direct to video sequels aren't much better.

Is it worth watching the movie since it is free and all?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hell yes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

kapalama posted:

If you read and liked the book you probably shouldn't watch the movie because it's wayyyyyyy better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

kapalama posted:

It's on my top list of "mindless action films that are just fun to watch".