Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Still, playing through the first half of the game using no items was pretty drat awesome as a proof of concept thing.
I'm assuming you saw this in the thread, but if you're interested in how your run might have progressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVRpvgYVMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any ideas on why I have trouble recording JC Denton in Fraps? The movie that results is always incredibly dark; much darker than the actual game. I just want to make wonderful movies of JC Denton to share, but Fraps insists on wearing sunglasses at night. :(

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Lonjon posted:

Anyone have any ideas on why I have trouble recording JC Denton in Fraps? The movie that results is always incredibly dark; much darker than the actual game. I just want to make wonderful movies of JC Denton to share, but Fraps insists on wearing sunglasses at night. :(

DX's gamma is always turned up really high. I've always had a problem with alt-tabbing (or crashing) from the game leaving my desktop really bright. I'd suggest just taking the footage and messing with the gamma in your video editor. I've never tried it myself, but I'm sure it's a gamma issue.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I just finished the first bit at VersaLife, and holy poo poo, escaping through the vents without setting off the alarm is great. I only have one question, though. Where do you run into Paul, if he survives NYC Tracer Tong and his Guards keep telling me about him, but I can't find him anywhere. Is his disappearance related to my raid of the police station or breaking of VersaLife?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Captain Novolin posted:

I just finished the first bit at VersaLife, and holy poo poo, escaping through the vents without setting off the alarm is great. I only have one question, though. Where do you run into Paul, if he survives NYC Tracer Tong and his Guards keep telling me about him, but I can't find him anywhere. Is his disappearance related to my raid of the police station or breaking of VersaLife?

For some reason, Tong's guards will tell you about people that have yet to arrive. He'll show up in a little while, don't worry about it.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Male Man posted:

For some reason, Tong's guards will tell you about people that have yet to arrive. He'll show up in a little while, don't worry about it.

When he does arrive, he'll be sitting at a desk outside of the CNN Newsroom that Tracer's always dicking about in.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

JC DENTON
Maybe you should try getting a job.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just finished the game a 2nd time, choose the New Dark Age ending, which was kind of weak. I like the Illuminati ending the best so far.

Now trying Invisible War. It is kind of meh but screw it, and excuse to mess around with ragdoll physics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The rear end in a top hat physics in Invisible War are almost unmatched, it's the best part of the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The rear end in a top hat physics in Invisible War are almost unmatched, it's the best part of the game.

It sure is a claustrophobic game compared to the other one, And Alex D is kind of bland compared to JC.

At least the texture mod makes things prettier.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lonjon posted:

Another fine example of NPCs unlocking doors for JC is in the first minute of this speedrun video. The speedrunner hurls a gas grenade at the walls of the UNATCO building. Some guard inside the building gets a lungful of gas and decides to open the front doors to yell at JC. JC waits for him to open the doors and immediately shoots him in the face. Wammo-blammo, JC is inside UNATCO without having to even look at the Statue of Liberty.

The best part of this trick is JC shooting the guard in the face while Alex is trying to tell JC to 'remember the Academy stealth course'.

This is hilarious, he skips the entire rocket launch sequence with one rpg shot through a wall. Then in area 51 when a mob of MIBs appears in an elevator he just goes invisible and chills out in the elevator with them.

Mr Gnang
Jan 28, 2009

Three Red Lights posted:

This is hilarious, he skips the entire rocket launch sequence with one rpg shot through a wall. Then in area 51 when a mob of MIBs appears in an elevator he just goes invisible and chills out in the elevator with them.

My favourite thing in these videos is the player's habit of one-shotting people in the head with the sniper rifle who are approaching to engage conversation, so he can save as much time as possible!

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 19, 2011

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Escape through the vents? I just ran back out, turned on my augmented legs, and jumped from the third floor offices out the front door, like a true action hero.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 19, 2011

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Where is this vent located? I think I'm gonna try for a silent, anti-action thing next playthrough.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Le Sean posted:

Where is this vent located? I think I'm gonna try for a silent, anti-action thing next playthrough.

It's on top of where the computer is, by a security camera. You need at least level 3 legs to get up there. You jump on the railing, then on top of the dome thing, then into the vent as you close the grate. If you do it right, it will close so you can stand on it.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
How were you supposed to save Paul? If I remember correctly he died when a bunch of bad guys bust into the apartment and he's all sick or something. Could you actually stick around and win that fight?

insaine
Aug 29, 2006
Let him do the fighting for you or set up lams or whatever, and exit through the front door only. Do NOT exit through the window, as that's where the "Paul dies" flag is set. Even if you kill everyone, exiting through that window makes him "dead"

This is all in the OP isn't it?

E: nope not in OP, thought i saw someone say it was

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I always max out the strength biomod out as soon as possible for that reason. Screw the crappy universal ammo, I'm just going to pitch random poo poo at you till you die. Then I will fling you at your buddy.

Then I will pile all your bodies up in a heap and set them on fire.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Captain Novolin posted:

It's on top of where the computer is, by a security camera. You need at least level 3 legs to get up there. You jump on the railing, then on top of the dome thing, then into the vent as you close the grate. If you do it right, it will close so you can stand on it.

Or you could grab the Cloak augmentation before you steal what you've been sent to steal, then waltz over to the vent entrance in the labs when the alarm goes off. Remember, nobody will get mad at you as long as you don't pick any locks, hurt anyone, or enter the security office by the receptionist's desk. I'd also assume that using a multitool on something would trigger the "everyone's mad at you" switch, but I haven't tried it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KnightLight posted:

I always max out the strength biomod out as soon as possible for that reason. Screw the crappy universal ammo, I'm just going to pitch random poo poo at you till you die. Then I will fling you at your buddy.

Then I will pile all your bodies up in a heap and set them on fire.
Man it was so much better before whatever patch changed it so thrown bodies do little/no damage.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
Anyone ever do a no-augs run of DX? Any fun?

Grand Fromage posted:

Near some sort of aircraft hanger (Egypt?), I once piled a bunch of explosives into a corridor, pissed off some guard, and made him chase me down said corridor. After I popped the explosives and the smoke cleared, I found that the explosion sent his hands flying through the walls, and refused to relinquish them.

The corridor was much wider than the guard's normal armspan, making it look as though I had crucified Stretch Armstrong in midair.

insaine
Aug 29, 2006
So I'm trying to get the Blackjack in shifter, does that mean I need to make sure no one dies, like even from Navarre and stuff? I managed to get to Paul's apt. only knocking people out but it didn't spawn, however I'm pretty sure some NSF and UNATCO guys got into a shootout.

Bit annoying since I was using quick saves so I'll probably need to restart, so I want to get it right this time.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
Why don't people like Liberty Island? Just because it's the beginning when they don't know how to play the game? I think the early NYC stuff is the best part that made it seem far better and more interesting than any other FPS I've played, but then it becomes a typical sci fi video game story.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

insaine posted:

So I'm trying to get the Blackjack in shifter, does that mean I need to make sure no one dies, like even from Navarre and stuff? I managed to get to Paul's apt. only knocking people out but it didn't spawn, however I'm pretty sure some NSF and UNATCO guys got into a shootout.

Bit annoying since I was using quick saves so I'll probably need to restart, so I want to get it right this time.

You can also get the Blackjack on a not-too-far return trip to NYC. It'll be on the table in the hotel's office regardless of how lethal you've been.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 9, 2010

insaine
Aug 29, 2006

mp5 posted:

You can also get the Blackjack on a not-too-far return trip to NYC. It'll be on the table in the hotel's office regardless of how lethal you've been.

Ahh fair enough, doesn't matter now though, just blew through to Hell's Kitchen really quickly but this time took the back entrance into Castle Clinton and I managed to get it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bartkusa posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

Near some sort of aircraft hanger (Egypt?), I once piled a bunch of explosives into a corridor, pissed off some guard, and made him chase me down said corridor. After I popped the explosives and the smoke cleared, I found that the explosion sent his hands flying through the walls, and refused to relinquish them.

The corridor was much wider than the guard's normal armspan, making it look as though I had crucified Stretch Armstrong in midair.
NG Resonance, what have they done to you? :ohdear:

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bartkusa posted:

Anyone ever do a no-augs run of DX? Any fun?

Did no augs/no skills, that was pretty good.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Rex Deckard posted:

summon augmentationupgradecanister

Thank you, very much :)

I'm considering purchasing Invisible War just to get some more Deus Ex, I've heard it's not as good, but then I hear it has some pretty cool stuff like arsehole physics and a mod for weapons that vaporizes glass instead of loudly smashing it, which is something I quite wanted in the original actually.

Any thoughts?

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
If you can get it cheap I'd go for it. It's passable as a game but terrible as a followup to Deus Ex.

There were a few interesting bits, the NG Resonance AI plot for example.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wait, so throwing full grown bodies at super speed doesn't do much damage? what kind of sick fun hating bastard decided that.

Seriously, good god Alex Denton is so so drat bland.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait, so throwing full grown bodies at super speed doesn't do much damage? what kind of sick fun hating bastard decided that.

That's one thing that annoyed me, that most objects, including bodies, were worthless when thrown. You almost had to test them, like a metal trashcan inside couldn't hurt anyone, but a tire outside could obliterate them.

I did that by accident: threw a tire up in the air in Cairo and watched the conversation between the poet and the businesswoman until the tire came down on his head and ended his suffering.

Then I knocked a fire barrel over and it set a cat on fire and the cat burned three people to death.

I think that same patch, the one that fixed some crash problem or something, that introduced the infinite-multitools bug: you would walk over a multitool on the ground and suddenly it would spawn a gradually expanding pile of them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I am not sure how many people know this, but "Project Snowblind" was orginally being developed as a side story of Deus Ex called "Deus Ex: Clan Wars". After DX:IW failed so hard, they decided that it didn't would probably sell better as a separate title.

That said, I still think that "Project Snowblind" is a better sequel to the original Deus Ex, even if it has be "consoled-up" a bit and doesn't have the branches in the story like killing or not killing major characters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The female is. The male pretty much screamed "douchebag" at every turn for me.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

It sure is a claustrophobic game compared to the other one

In the quotes file in the "secret ending" one of the developers jokes that since they have a couple months left before deadline they should put vehicles back in, and another quips that players should have a pretty good time driving them down all the hallways the game is made up of.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

SeanBeansShako posted:

It sure is a claustrophobic game compared to the other one

This is honestly my biggest problem with IW. Almost every area is tiny and cramped, and I'm constantly getting caught on corners and objects.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ugh, who thought it'd be smart to spring a billion choices on the player in the first hour alone? and gently caress the cramped rear end inventory of this game.

To amuse myself, I've been pretty much been dicking about making neutral NPCs attack something then blow themselves up with their own grenades and throwing coffee pots in the faces of anyone I don't like.

The Omar are kind of cool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Omar ending is the proest ending because it's just a "gently caress all y'all" ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, why the hell didn't they keep the original weapons designs from Deus Ex and pretty them up?

That one kind of ammo only thing is dumb. And it was also retarded forcing you to get a Biomod for hacking.