Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PUSSY BARON posted:

Why don't people like Liberty Island? Just because it's the beginning when they don't know how to play the game? I think the early NYC stuff is the best part that made it seem far better and more interesting than any other FPS I've played, but then it becomes a typical sci fi video game story.

I don't mind Liberty Island, but it doesn't display a lot of Deus Ex's strong points. By that point, there is very little variation in your character, you have no Augs, your skills are mostly poo poo, and so-on. It does do a great job of displaying branching paths and hidden objectives, but part of what makes Deus Ex stand out is the wide range of ways you can alter yourself and still be effective (Outside of a few completely useless-rear end things, mostly involving swimming or environmental protection.)

If you really like the parts of Deus Ex revolving around using your superpowers instead of the awkward unpowered/unskilled shooting/stealth stuff, then Liberty Island is a barrier to the point where your superpowers really start to come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am not sure how many people know this, but "Project Snowblind" was orginally being developed as a side story of Deus Ex called "Deus Ex: Clan Wars". After DX:IW failed so hard, they decided that it didn't would probably sell better as a separate title.

That said, I still think that "Project Snowblind" is a better sequel to the original Deus Ex, even if it has be "consoled-up" a bit and doesn't have the branches in the story like killing or not killing major characters.
I can't believe I traded that in years ago. I may have to find another copy on eBay and give it a second chance.

Sad thing is that I don't even have a reason for trading it in. I think I preferred Timesplitters or something.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zero Star posted:

I can't believe I traded that in years ago. I may have to find another copy on eBay and give it a second chance.

Sad thing is that I don't even have a reason for trading it in. I think I preferred Timesplitters or something.

Well, I agree that Timesplitters is the better game, but Snowblind isn't bad. It's no Deus Ex, but you can tell where it came from.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, why the hell didn't they keep the original weapons designs from Deus Ex and pretty them up?

That one kind of ammo only thing is dumb. And it was also retarded forcing you to get a Biomod for hacking.

The universal ammo's one of those things that makes complete sense in the setting but they really should've put gameplay first.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That one kind of ammo only thing is dumb. And it was also retarded forcing you to get a Biomod for hacking.
It's also invaluable for the first 1/2 of the game and TOTALLY useless for the final 1/4 - 1/5.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

The universal ammo's one of those things that makes complete sense in the setting but they really should've put gameplay first.

I always thought the opposite of the universal ammo. The in game reasons for it are absurd and laughable, but it makes the game much more playable. In IW you don't have to worry about saving your precious 3 rockets for some bad guy that may or may not require them - instead, you just pick the weapon that is most appropriate for the job at hand.

Or, if you have a rocket launcher, you do the obvious. Stand as far back as the map will allow, fire that rocket, then have a blast guiding it all the way through a tunnel, into a vent, through a doorway, and finally into the back pocket of some poor guard that just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm curious why you think having nanotech-based ammo in Deus Ex is absurd.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Lonjon posted:

I always thought the opposite of the universal ammo. The in game reasons for it are absurd and laughable, but it makes the game much more playable. In IW you don't have to worry about saving your precious 3 rockets for some bad guy that may or may not require them - instead, you just pick the weapon that is most appropriate for the job at hand.

Conversely, if you run out of ammo for one gun, you run out of ammo for all guns.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
That's what the strength mod is for.

Stingray019
Jan 12, 2007
So many people overlook the real mission objective in Versalife which is to liberate the Captain (Mad-Bum) and leave him at a table at either the marketplace restaurant or the Lucky Money.

Like many others I didn't pay any attention to the story in IW and just concentrated on pissing around with the awesome physics. There was section early on in the game that had its own super-fun-happy-slide. A massive downwards slope into the abyss which perfect for bowling bodies and barrels down. There was also the school, it was fun to see how many kids you could fit in the principles wall safe and still be able to close the door. Two and half was the record if I remember correctly, good times. :)

Stingray019 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 10, 2010

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Lonjon posted:

Or, if you have a rocket launcher, you do the obvious. Stand as far back as the map will allow, fire that rocket, then have a blast guiding it all the way through a tunnel, into a vent, through a doorway, and finally into the back pocket of some poor guard that just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.

Except you fire a rocket and 1/3 of your ammo is gone! Now using your rocket launcher leaves you defenseless.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
I think we can all agree that IW was a worthless piece of poo poo that should never have been made. Terrible design decisions, etc--basically ruined everything everyone loved about the original game. Universal ammo was idiotic.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Zero Star posted:

It makes me sad that poor ole Timesplitters was basically ignored and neglected by console gamers while Halo stole the spotlight as THE console FPS. Timesplitters owned. :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

modestduty posted:

I think we can all agree that IW was a worthless piece of poo poo that should never have been made. Terrible design decisions, etc--basically ruined everything everyone loved about the original game. Universal ammo was idiotic.

It'd give me good faith to see that deep inside the building of where the coding and general design of Human Revolution is going on there is a white board with a big simple sentence in bold letters stating NOTHING FROM INVISIBLE WAR AT ALL.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Man, speaking of Conviction, waaaaay back before IW I had an idea for an enhanced-reflexes aug that let you basically do the same mark/execute business that Fisher can now. Should have patented it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wait, so throwing full grown bodies at super speed doesn't do much damage? what kind of sick fun hating bastard decided that.
Originally they did, and it was a one-hit-kill with the strength aug too. It was a bit overpowered in that you could kill the first guy with a melee weapon and then use his body as the only deadly weapon you would ever need again in that area.

But then in nerfing it they took it too far in the other direction.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm still kind of disappointed that the Chronos mod fell through. It was too ambitious, for one thing- it wanted to put in the option to stick with UNATCO, as well as a massive visual overhaul of the game- but the core of the mod, the chronos aug, was awesome.

The best part of it wasn't that it slowed everything down and sped you up, since that's pretty much by-the-books bullet time, but it also modified normally hitscan weapons to fire physical projectiles; what this meant was that, when you activated the Chronos mod, they slowed down enough that you could see (they'd also have that cheesy Matrix blur effect around them in bullet time) and dodge them. Unfortunately the mod didn't progress beyond the alpha phase, so past Liberty Island everyone goes back to having hitscan guns.

Another fun quirk of the projectiles was that they were affected by the AGS mod. You could stop bullets with your mind.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind Liberty Island, but it doesn't display a lot of Deus Ex's strong points. By that point, there is very little variation in your character, you have no Augs, your skills are mostly poo poo, and so-on. It does do a great job of displaying branching paths and hidden objectives, but part of what makes Deus Ex stand out is the wide range of ways you can alter yourself and still be effective (Outside of a few completely useless-rear end things, mostly involving swimming or environmental protection.)

If you really like the parts of Deus Ex revolving around using your superpowers instead of the awkward unpowered/unskilled shooting/stealth stuff, then Liberty Island is a barrier to the point where your superpowers really start to come into play.

Oh, last time I played I didn't really use the augs much, I don't remember if it was on easy mode or what. I might as well play it again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PUSSY BARON posted:

Oh, last time I played I didn't really use the augs much, I don't remember if it was on easy mode or what. I might as well play it again

Well, Deus Ex is a cool game because you don't have to play it with the augs if you don't want, but for some people, it's an important aspect.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Lonjon posted:

Can't really agree because:

a) It removes nifty things to reward the player with. ie HE20 or WP Rockets.
b) Managing ones resources was a nifty part of the strategy in DX1. It gave you more choices - do you use a rocket on that bot or sneak past it.
c) There was always more than enough options to get past part of the game if you'd somehow run out of a particular kind of ammo.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

insaine posted:

So I'm trying to get the Blackjack in shifter, does that mean I need to make sure no one dies, like even from Navarre and stuff? I managed to get to Paul's apt. only knocking people out but it didn't spawn, however I'm pretty sure some NSF and UNATCO guys got into a shootout.

Bit annoying since I was using quick saves so I'll probably need to restart, so I want to get it right this time.

I killed hella fools on the way to Pauls apt, and the Blackjack was on his table when I got there (first time) :[

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd give me good faith to see that deep inside the building of where the coding and general design of Human Revolution is going on there is a white board with a big simple sentence in bold letters stating NOTHING FROM INVISIBLE WAR AT ALL.

Haha is this true? Do you have a link?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

DNS posted:

Haha is this true? Do you have a link?
He's speculating, in a "wouldn't this be nice" kinda way.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Zero Star posted:

He's speculating, in a "wouldn't this be nice" kinda way.

And it would be loving awesome.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Frankosity posted:

The best part of it wasn't that it slowed everything down and sped you up, since that's pretty much by-the-books bullet time, but it also modified normally hitscan weapons to fire physical projectiles; what this meant was that, when you activated the Chronos mod, they slowed down enough that you could see (they'd also have that cheesy Matrix blur effect around them in bullet time) and dodge them. Unfortunately the mod didn't progress beyond the alpha phase, so past Liberty Island everyone goes back to having hitscan guns.
If they had the mod working with the Liberty Island guys, could you cut the non-hitscan code and just paste it onto every enemy who uses the same guns? I mean a new mod without any of the ambitious stuff, just the Chronos Aug.

I'm not a code monkey, so apologies if what I just said was retarded.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police
How queer am I for using primarily the mini-crossbow? It doesn't need a silencer, there's more than enough ammo for it if you're patient and have decent aim, and if you're quick about it you can recover any bolts you missed with.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I just found out that the Radar Transparency aug, at least in The Nameless Mod, doesn't work on bots. Ugh. If I know this pos aug only worked on cameras and stationary turrets I never would've taken it, I've got maxed out ballistic shield, I don't need protection from turrets and low level guards. :mad:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

30 Second Artbomb posted:

How queer am I for using primarily the mini-crossbow? It doesn't need a silencer, there's more than enough ammo for it if you're patient and have decent aim, and if you're quick about it you can recover any bolts you missed with.

A tactical approach. I like that.

The crossbow works well, my issue with it is that it frequently leads to dudes setting off alarms before they pass out. And if you use lethal darts I don't see how the stealth pistol isn't significantly better, what with the ubiquitous ammo and larger capacity.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Astroturf Man posted:

Except for all the good things IW had.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Except for all the good things IW had.

I'm curious, give us a list.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Astroturf Man posted:

The very first interview said they were using Invisible War as an example of what not to do, though phrased a little more diplomatically.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm curious, give us a list.

actual physics, replaceable biomods, automatic passcode entry, bot domination

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

actual physics, replaceable biomods, automatic passcode entry, bot domination

Ragdoll physics is a pretty much must have in all FPS open world style games, I'm not sure the augments will be replaceable but I expect they will be upgradeable as for passcode entry I'm not that thrilled. I enjoyed exploring for the codes and talking to people grabbing them.

Bot Domination would be cool too. But how advanced will the bots be in Human Revolution?

I think we all can agree this. Human Revolution should give us a Skull Gun.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

SeanBeansShako posted:

as for passcode entry I'm not that thrilled. I enjoyed exploring for the codes and talking to people grabbing them.

I'm talking about how if you've already discovered a passcode, you don't have to manually enter it into the keypad. It's a minor thing, but it really streamlines things because you don't have to sift through your notes to find the one you need.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
manually typing stuff owned and added to my immersion

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ragdoll physics is a pretty much must have in all FPS open world style games, I'm not sure the augments will be replaceable but I expect they will be upgradeable as for passcode entry I'm not that thrilled. I enjoyed exploring for the codes and talking to people grabbing them.

Bot Domination would be cool too. But how advanced will the bots be in Human Revolution?

I think we all can agree this. Human Revolution should give us a Skull Gun.

Agreed.
Manual code entry was one of those little details in Deus Ex that set it above other games within its own calibre.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

I'm talking about how if you've already discovered a passcode, you don't have to manually enter it into the keypad. It's a minor thing, but it really streamlines things because you don't have to sift through your notes to find the one you need.

But I liked this :(.

Maybe they will be cool enough like the Fallout New Vegas guys and give us a realism difficulty with this in it.

Also, I really do hope for the return of an improved version of the Deus Ex UI.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jetsetlemming posted:

I just found out that the Radar Transparency aug, at least in The Nameless Mod, doesn't work on bots.

That's probably just TNM then, because I'm pretty sure Radar Transparency made me invisible to bots during my playthrough. Also, fun fact: Walton Simons has augmented vision so he can see through your cloak, but if you turn on both cloak and transparency, he loses you and starts swearing while he runs around searching for you :haw:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I liked the idea of the Unique Weapons. I didn't really play IW much though, for obvious reasons. The implementation in Shifter was good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone know of a console command to remove augs? I wanna replace radar transparency with cloak and while it's easy enough to add an aug, I can't do so without emptying the slot first. Neither augadd aug* nor allaugs can replace and existing aug as far as I can tell. Shifter lets you install an aug over an existing one, IW style, but I'm not running that and don't know what complications might pop up introducing it in the middle of a TNM game.