Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Started putting the new wheels on. Got the front wheel on but the pads are rubbing on the rotor way too much. :(

Going to have to pull the brake tomorrow and see what's up there. Hopefully just grime in the caliper and a good cleaning will cure it.

Didn't even get to the back wheel. I have a laced rear and a mag front right now. :haw:

I'm not sure how much it's rubbing, but whenever I put new pads on, they rub a good amount. After riding for about 5 minutes it goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dropped the forks out this morning. Bike is still hanging.

Instead of buying a fork compressor thing, I'm just going to take the forks to the dealer. lovely thing is the Yamaha dealer by my house won't do Honda forks, so I have to go to the Honda dealer that's a half hour away. Oh well, it's only $35

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Success! Got the wheels and rotors on and the front brake working well. It was unbelievably dirty. Zapped it with some brake cleaner and pressed the pistons out a bit and got it freed up.

Going to powder coat the wheels black but I couldn't figure out if I wanted to do everything, just the insides or the chrome shiny parts. I think, after getting them on the bike, I'll do the chrome shiny parts gloss black and leave the center rough silver for contrast.

Also, going to have to change the pads on the rear brake. I'll do both when I do it. Apparently, the previous owner was the stereotypical Harley rider because the rear pads are twice as worn as the front.

Now I just have to put the black fork sliders, bars, mirrors, levers and gaiters on.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
After 3 weeks of work, I got my bike running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvKSpL5uVHc

The jets for the carb came in this morning, I screwed them in, bolted the carb back on and it started on the first try. I'm really amazed it just worked like that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yesterday: drilled and tapped the Twinstar's perches and installed stop screws so my wife can reach the levers with her tiny girly hands. Adjusted front brake switch, brake cable, and clutch cable accordingly.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Installed Woodcraft engine case covers and cleaned my chain. The alternator cover was kind of a bitch -- the shape of the Woodcraft cover is such that they require you to remove the stock flywheel bolt and replace it with theirs. That fucker is torqued to 83ft lbs and has threadlocker on it... and you have to hold the flywheel in place to remove it. WHEEEEEEEEE.

They look loving sweet though. I should have taken pics (will tomorrow).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
This was last night, but I changed the oil and filter on my new (to me) SV. I ordered a new tire to match the rear (needed replacement anyways).

Will be going over pivot points and some bearings to make sure they are in good shape, as well as putting on the new tire when it arrives.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bob Morales posted:

lovely thing is the Yamaha dealer by my house won't do Honda forks

:psyboom:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Threw in the new Battery, and got it started for the first time in too long. Just a few more issues before I'll have it back on the road, and neglecting about my car.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:psyboom:

They're dickfaces. They won't sell you a chain or even a master link if you don't tell them the model bike you own.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
As is customary (for me anyway) today I finally dropped my Roof.

I had it hanging on my bikes hat-rack while I pulled off me gloves and a gust somehow managed to knock it off (loving round French helmets) so it took a few rock marks in it (and one on the visor) and it has joined the ranks of every other loving helmet I've ever owned of being " pretty good looking with some loving rock chips in it from where I dropped it off my bike."

Sign. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

PadreScout posted:

I had it hanging on my bikes hat-rack while I pulled off me gloves and a gust somehow managed to knock it off (loving round French helmets) so it took a few rock marks in it (and one on the visor) and it has joined the ranks of every other loving helmet I've ever owned of being " pretty good looking with some loving rock chips in it from where I dropped it off my bike."

In Arizona (Cameron, specifically) there were some huge gusts of wind and sand storms ahead. I set my helmet down in front of the gas pump so it would block the wind. It worked great until I went to the bathroom. I came outside the shop to see my buddy walking from the far side of the parking lot with my helmet in his hands. Apparently a big gust of wind had come up, knocked it down, and sent it tumbleweeding a couple hundred yards off and almost getting hit by a truck. :(

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
- Changed the color of my air filter from brownish-grey to yellow with a quick wash
- Adjusted valves, all of them were at about 0.002" clearance :(
- Changed coolant since the valve adjustment forced me to :argh:
- Installed Buell footpegs for an extra 1" of legroom
- Adjusted shifter and rear brake for the new footpegs

Next project is lopping a few mm off each end of the shifter linkage threads so that I can lower the shifter the last 1/2" or so, it's just slightly too high right now.

The air filter, valve clearance, and color of the coolant let me know that the dealer I bought my EX500 from really did nothing beyond a new battery after taking it in on trade. At least they gave me enough for my trade-in to justify avoiding the hassle of a private party sale :gbsmith:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cleaned and lubed the chain for the first time since I've owned it. Slightly outside the recommended interval as I'm now up to about 3000km's on the sucker. Given how loving disgusting the thing was and how long it took I'm guessing the previous owner didn't do too much too it either. It took about an hour with an old toothbrush and judicious amounts of kero. After I cleaned the chain I gave the bike a nice little wash and polish then reapplied some lube to the chain, checked the oil, filled the tires and rode out to do some stuff, spent a nice afternoon in the sun down along the Sydney coast.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PadreScout posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my first long trip out of town, I crushed my helmet. Wind blew it off my bike while tanking up, I reached for it, slipped, and over the bike went, crush went the helmet. Good times :cheers:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

blugu64 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, my first long trip out of town, I crushed my helmet. Wind blew it off my bike while tanking up, I reached for it, slipped, and over the bike went, crush went the helmet. Good times :cheers:

Actually, I'm sad to hear that, schadenfreude is not my thing.

Tomorrow is wheelie day!~ I've been working up to it a couple of weeks now, practicing really launching hard letting the front wheel get light, but not coming off the ground, I think it's time to get a little distance between the front and the ground.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

PadreScout posted:

Actually, I'm sad to hear that, schadenfreude is not my thing.

Tomorrow is wheelie day!~ I've been working up to it a couple of weeks now, practicing really launching hard letting the front wheel get light, but not coming off the ground, I think it's time to get a little distance between the front and the ground.

Soon every day will be wheelie day. I do 90mph wheelies in downtown sf past night clubs at 1 AM.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

Soon every day will be wheelie day. I do 90mph wheelies in downtown sf past night clubs at 1 AM.

:swoon:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jack the Smack posted:

downtown sf past night clubs at 1 AM.
:gay:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jabs posted:

:gay:

I think "wheelies" is some kind of gay code, isn't it? :haw:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Well, so much for wheelie day. It is blowing like a motherfucker outside and learning to wheelie in a 30 mph crosswind is not what I call "a super great idea"

So instead I'm going to go through, pull the wiring out that my accessories run on, and wire in a proper fuse block. Well, maybe tomorrow, since it's windy as gently caress and threatening to rain.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Scrapez posted:

Success! Got the wheels and rotors on and the front brake working well. It was unbelievably dirty. Zapped it with some brake cleaner and pressed the pistons out a bit and got it freed up.

Are those Road King shocks? How do you like them? I hear they are vastly superior to the stock shocks.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Are those Road King shocks? How do you like them? I hear they are vastly superior to the stock shocks.

Yes they are and YES THEY ARE! It is really a huge improvement.

I run them with 0 PSI when I'm solo and about 7-10 PSI two up.

They're almost a direct bolt on. You just have to add a couple washers to the bottom mounting bolt to get the shock to clear the belt guard. It's the best upgrade I've made to the bike.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Terminal posted:

Next project is lopping a few mm off each end of the shifter linkage threads so that I can lower the shifter the last 1/2" or so, it's just slightly too high right now.

Took 1/4" off each end of the linkage rod, the shifter now sits perfectly at the extreme low end of the adjustment range. Today's commute sucked before I made the modification, as up-shifting actually required me to take my foot off the peg and kick the shifter with nothing to pivot my foot on. Resulted in a nice false shift into 5th and surprise pop down to 4th while passing a car, made me feel like quite the :downs:

I'll have a final verdict after tomorrow, but already I'd recommend the Buell footpeg mod for anyone looking for a tiny bit more legroom on a bike with a standard-ish seating position. While they ended up bringing my feet back as well as down a bit, the slightly sportier position doesn't really put any extra pressure/lean on my hands and wrists. I also like the solid feel of the bare aluminum vs. the usual rubber-topped steel pegs.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I found out yesterday that my tank on my new (to me) SV is rusted inside. Not terrible, but not something I want either. I called a radiator repair shop down the road and they will clean it and seal it for $65. I pulled the tank off and drained the fuel and will be taking it to the guy tomorrow. I verified they use Red Cote, and not that awful KREEM garbage.

So since the tank is off, I am going to check the valves (not due yet, but why not), flush the coolant and refil and probably drain the brake fluid and replace. Oh and when my stands get here, a new front tire is going on. I bought some Dyna Beads after reading about them and hearing some good reviews, so we will see how that goes.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I bought some Dyna Beads after reading about them and hearing some good reviews, so we will see how that goes.

Me old man tried those in his R1150, he said they're great unless you take off fast, at which point you'll end up in a ditch.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

PadreScout posted:

Me old man tried those in his R1150, he said they're great unless you take off fast, at which point you'll end up in a ditch.

I never take off fast, so that's a good thing. Oh well, they are worth a shot at $14 for the kit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have no weights on the front tire and 5 g on the rear. Super smooth from zero to top speed. :c00l:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

I have no weights on the front tire and 5 g on the rear. Super smooth from zero to top speed. :c00l:

Are you using the beads in the front? Or just no weight period?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Are you using the beads in the front? Or just no weight period?

No weight period, haven't tried the beads. Just the dot on the tire aligned with the valve. Did a static balance with the regular axle, found a heavy spot - right on the weight that was there. Ripped it off, no problems.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

PadreScout posted:

Haven't had issues with them myself and the local BMW/Duc/Aprillia/Triumph dealership swears by them so they can't be too bad.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

NitroSpazzz posted:

Haven't had issues with them myself and the local BMW/Duc/Aprillia/Triumph dealership swears by them so they can't be too bad.

Yeah, I'm hoping that guy is joking.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

Fantastipotamus posted:

Step 1: Apply to sticker
Step 2: Allow to sit for 1 minute
Step 3: Gently rub sticker away.

Worth its weight in gold.

"Goo Gone" is more readily available and sucks 50 times more. Use Goof Off instead.

Oh HELL yes. I've been looking for a way to get those drat french warning labels off the fairing on my bike.... I assume this stuff won't gently caress up my plastics?

Radio-Controlled fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 12, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took 'er out for the first time in a week and half for a quick grocery run & fill up. It's been overcast the last 2 days so I swapped in the clear visor, only for the sun to come out as soon as I'd left the gas station. And gently caress me if there weren't any decent parking spaces near me when I got home; I hope the people I parked between are good drivers.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Radio-Controlled posted:

Oh HELL yes. I've been looking for a way to get those drat french warning labels off the fairing on my bike.... I assume this stuff won't gently caress up my plastics?
It's never ruined anything I've used it on, and I've used it on plenty of stuff. I'm not sure I'd leave it on there for a week, but if you let it sit for a minute and clean the plastic off afterwards, I'm sure you'd be fine.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Radio-Controlled posted:

If you didn't see the first response, just buy generic brand lighter fluid. It's the same thing and waaaay cheaper.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I put the race muffler back on my XB9. It's way louder than stock, but it just wasn't running right with the stock one on (and I didn't feel like searching for a stock ECM).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Trip report ..

I was pretty busy this evening. The guy I dropped my tank off with was really busy this week and didn't even get to it by today, so I swung by and picked it up from him. Went to home depot and picked up some muriatic acid and some gloves. Stopped by the local auto parts store, they have Red Kote but couldn't find it .. will stop by again tomorrow to snag it.

Got home, ate some dinner and suited up for the acid bath. Did a rinse a few times with about 2 gallons of water and a bit of the acid and then filled 'er up and put some more acid in to let it soak 24 hours. Tomorrow (well, later today now...) I will drain it, rinse it with water and dry the sucker. Then on goes the Red Kote to seal for 24 hours.

Put my new stands together (T-Rex Stands rock!) and propped up her up good and safe. Took a break, came back about an hour later and removed the front wheel. Stripped the discs and used my new irons to pry the old tire off. I did mar up the wheel a bit, I am a jerk, oh well. Installed the new tire, inflated, about pooped myself when the bead popped (used to MX tires with tubes .. whole 'nother ball game there) and put in about 1oz of DYNA BEADS (black magic). Reinstalled the discs (blue locktite) and then installed the wheel, then installed the calipers.

Brake pads look good for another thousand or two, bearings were in great shape, grease looked brand new.

I'm now exhausted and going to get a shower and lay my head down for about 5 hours and then work. I hope Saturday is going to be nice .. because I .. MUST ... RIDE

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Last night, I decided to change the left radiator hose on my gen 1 sv650.

gently caress japanese engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Radio-Controlled posted:

I used some to take Sharpie off of old 8 track tapes and it melted the plastic a little bit. I would use a small dab and see what happens before going all out.