Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DannoMack posted:

It would have been cooler ten years ago after the first season of Survivor, when every new show was about people performing wacky tasks for prizes and immunities. I'm expecting a "which rookie will eat the weirdest poo poo" challenge very soon.

Another point for Skip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Burrito posted:

Another point for Skip!

Daniel Bryan is vegan, so my bet is on him.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Why is everyone hating on NXT? I mean the challanges aren't the greatest but it's working really well to help build the next generation. I mean I probably wouldn't give a poo poo about Tarver if he debuted on Raw with no hype but they're building him really well on NXT and it looks as though the blowoff match is gonna be Miz vs AmDrag @ Summerslam and how can you hate on that?

Pretty much what Chilly said. If the end result is Dragon vs. Miz (which is not an absolute given but certainly seems likely) with Bryan getting over like crazy and coming to one of the main rosters that's great and I look forward to it, but getting there is not fun so far.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bradzilla posted:

Apparently not watching means making more posts than anyone else in every impact thread?
What are you talking about? I just said I watched all of the live shows.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

DannoMack posted:

It would have been cooler ten years ago after the first season of Survivor, when every new show was about people performing wacky tasks for prizes and immunities. I'm expecting a "which rookie will eat the weirdest poo poo" challenge very soon.

Hosted by Tommy Dreamer!

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

TNA has a bunch of old matches from 2002 - 2005 up on their youtube channel. Any suggestions for what to watch? I've only been watching TNA on and off since mid 2009, and would like to see if it was any better in it's glory days.

Also, is Kurt Angle's move to TNA generally considered to be when the downfall began?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64B7SK4-XQ

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

falsedontentry posted:

TNA has a bunch of old matches from 2002 - 2005 up on their youtube channel. Any suggestions for what to watch? I've only been watching TNA on and off since mid 2009, and would like to see if it was any better in it's glory days.

Also, is Kurt Angle's move to TNA generally considered to be when the downfall began?

When they were first announced. They've had some bright points, but nothing that's being sustained.

Hell, there best creative parts were their worst financially if I remember.

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

LividLiquid posted:

Just watch this:

Did TNA ever just have a X-Division title and no World Championship? If not, which wrestlers were in the world title picture during this time? Was it all Jeff Jarrett?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

When they were first announced. They've had some bright points, but nothing that's being sustained.

Hell, there best creative parts were their worst financially if I remember.

At their creative peak in 2005 their PPVs were actually doing better than they are now. They averaged closer to 30,000 buys per show then, now it is closer to 20,000.

In early 2005 they were pretty close to rock bottom, Bob Carter was ready to pull the plug before the Spike deal came through.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Golden Bee posted:

How is Smackdown terrible? It's match, match, match, match, promo, tag team match vs. Laycool (bearable), match, main event match.

The wrestling is extremely solid and all Matt Hardy has done in the last 4 weeks is get his head kicked in.

This is pretty much why I love Smackdown. I only really started watching it after last years draft, and every week has been good to drat good.

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
What was so special about WWE's new show back, RAW? Didn't they already have stuff airing every week like Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JavyOO7 posted:

What was so special about WWE's new show back, RAW? Didn't they already have stuff airing every week like Wrestling Challenge or Superstars?

Raw started up during the period I wasn't watching so I don't know if this is accurate or not, but before Raw I remember that you mostly saw name wrestlers squashing jobbers or doing promos, and very rarely a face and a heel in the same ring for an interview segment that would break down into a brawl (and then of course you paid for the PPV to see them wrestle). When I came back and Raw was on, you got name wrestlers vs name wrestlers and far more frequent interaction between them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JavyOO7 posted:

When it began, basically that it was in primetime, had a bit more star power and a bit more in the way of competitive matches. It wasn't anything like what we see today or during the Monday Night Wars, but it was somewhat a change of pace. The funny thing is it came out of nowhere. It wasn't announced until just a week or two before its debut.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Here is what Wikipedia had to say

Wikipedia posted:

The first episode featured Yokozuna defeating Koko B. Ware, The Steiner Brothers defeating The Executioners, WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels defeating Max Moon and The Undertaker defeating Damien Demento. The show also featured an interview with Razor Ramon

It was like the current Superstars in a sense. Then obviously it changed to where it was an angle building show, into the Monday Night Wars when it became PPV-quality things on TV.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Hockles posted:

Here is what Wikipedia had to say

It was like the current Superstars in a sense. Then obviously it changed to where it was an angle building show, into the Monday Night Wars when it became PPV-quality things on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCsfWJ5ogc0

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
Now reading back to the question I wrote earlier its such an obvious rear end answer like the three of you above me showed. =p

My nostalgia glasses are impossible to take away right now though. I rather have Wrestling Challenge every week then the stuff we see now. I'm happy I bought WWEClassics for a month because now I can see a lot of the stuff I missed back then. Though I'm already disappointed since there's no Nitro episodes and most notably the Sting vs Ric Flair match for the belt at the GAB where Sting beat Flair and won the gold for the first time... its not there. A big company with such a big library of tapes should do a much better job. =/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JavyOO7 posted:

Well, as it was mentioned, it was in primetime, and second, it was supposed to be "grittier" than Superstars and Challenge, (hence the title "RAW") and held in a smaller, more intimate setting than their usual shows.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Has Benoit been mentioned on WWE TV in the past two years at all?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

ChampRamp posted:

Has Benoit been mentioned on WWE TV in the past two years at all?

There's been some mentions, and I think short snippets of footage, but I don't believe his name specifically has come up.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

LividLiquid posted:

Just watch this:

Wow... that match/show actually feels read and full of passion. So different compared to the poo poo show there is now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wow... that match/show actually feels read and full of passion. So different compared to the poo poo show there is now.
Welcome to the wonderful world of pre-Russo TNA. It's also post-Russo, oddly. They had their biggest growth period after the man was shitcanned, then re-hired him and stagnated for another four years.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of pre-Russo TNA. It's also post-Russo, oddly.

He's like Napoleon III

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How does nobody involved with the company even realize that the only time their product was good was the year-and-a-half their head writer was fired? How?

HOW?!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

He's like Napoleon III

Hopefully he turns into Napoleon XIV and they come to take him away, ha ha.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

How does nobody involved with the company even realize that the only time their product was good was the year-and-a-half their head writer was fired? How?

HOW?!

because that was also the time their product wasn't on TV in any capacity and wasn't making money.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

Just watch this:

I still loving hate the crowd, I still hate Joe's sweat towel, I still hate babyface Don West, I still hate AJ Styles theme song, I still hate Christopher Daniel's backyarder entrance, but it's all nitpicking. It's all pointless nitpicking. This was TNA at its best, and it wasn't bad at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

HOW?!

I've told you before, people still give Russo unwarranted credit for the explosion of popularity in Pro-Wrestling WELL OVER A DECADE AGO during the Attitude Era.

This isn't a joke or a quip, this is honestly the reasoning behind why this man keeps getting work despite the last 10+ years of proven inability to get ratings/acclaim/any kind of success at all outside of WWF.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
And the reason he still has a job in TNA: nobody else wants his job.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

And the reason he still has a job in TNA: nobody else wants his job.
This has to be it. It's a lot of work writing that gobshite. Remember that leaked iMPACT! script? I can't even loving imagine writing one of those every week.

Nevermind the fact that, y'know, a good booker wouldn't have to.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

falsedontentry posted:

Here's all the TNA matches that Meltzer rated ****1/2 or higher:

-06/26/02 Low Ki vs. Jerry Lynn vs. AJ Styles vs. Psicosis (Elimination) ****1/2 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-08/07/02 Low Ki vs. Jerry Lynn vs. AJ Styles ****1/2 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-09/03/03 Juventud Guerrera vs. Chris Sabin ****1/2 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-12/05/04 Chris Harris/James Storm vs. Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper (Cage) ****3/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-01/16/05 Chris Harris/James Storm vs. Bobby Roode/Eric Young ****1/2 (TNA Final Resolution)
-01/16/05 AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin (Ultimate X) ****1/2 (TNA Final Resolution)
-02/13/05 AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels (30-Minute Iron Man) ****3/4 (TNA Against All Odds)
-09/11/05 AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels ***** (TNA Unbreakable)
-12/11/05 Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles ****3/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-01/11/09 Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett ****1/2 (TNA Genesis) Part 2, Part 3
-11/15/09 AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Daniels ****1/2 (TNA Turning Point) Part 2, Part 3
-04/18/10 Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Anderson (Cage) ****1/2 (TNA Lockdown) Part 2, Part 3

Eugene Jerome fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 11, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I'm going to Smackdown in June, and I was wondering: are NXT and Superstars both taped before SD, or just one of them?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I'm going to Smackdown in June, and I was wondering: are NXT and Superstars both taped before SD, or just one of them?

half of superstars is taped on raw, the other half on smackdown. superstars starts off, then depending on east coast or west coast nxt is taped/filmed live, then smackdown.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

This has to be it. It's a lot of work writing that gobshite. Remember that leaked iMPACT! script? I can't even loving imagine writing one of those every week.

Nevermind the fact that, y'know, a good booker wouldn't have to.

It's just the fact that I'm pretty sure he's writing the bulk of the show, and the other guys on staff just look it over and make changes here and there. It's an extraordinarily taxing job, I'm sure, which is why nobody else wants it. If he steps down or gets canned, who's gonna take the time and effort to write it?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CVagts posted:

It's just the fact that I'm pretty sure he's writing the bulk of the show, and the other guys on staff just look it over and make changes here and there. It's an extraordinarily taxing job, I'm sure, which is why nobody else wants it. If he steps down or gets canned, who's gonna take the time and effort to write it?

Tell me you wouldn't love to see a show written entirely by Hulk Hogan.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

TL posted:

Tell me you wouldn't love to see a show written entirely by Hulk Hogan.

The following tag-team match brother is scheduled brother for one fall brother and is for the hulkamania tag team belt brother making his way to the ring brother is brother ray and brother d-von brother Team 3D BROTHER!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Meltz didn't give them a single **** between 2006 and 2008?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

Meltz didn't give them a single **** between 2006 and 2008?

He gave a bunch of matches **** or higher during that period. The first Joe/Angle and I believe the second, the second Harris/Storm match and there had to be an Ultimate X or something.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TelevisedInsanity posted:

The following tag-team match brother is scheduled brother for one fall brother and is for the hulkamania tag team belt brother making his way to the ring brother is brother ray and brother d-von brother Team 3D BROTHER!

And the Hulkamania belt is just an engraving of Hogan's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet
Here's the full list of every TNA match Meltzer rated **** or higher -

-06/26/02 Low Ki vs. Jerry Lynn vs. AJ Styles vs. Psicosis (Elimination) ****1/2 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-08/07/02 Low Ki vs. Jerry Lynn vs. AJ Styles ****1/2 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-08/28/02 AJ Styles vs. Jerry Lynn vs. Low Ki (Ladder) ****1/4 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-11/06/02 AJ Styles vs. Jerry Lynn **** (TNA Weekly PPV)
-04/09/03 Amazing Red/Jerry Lynn vs. Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper vs. Jonny Storm/Chris Sabin vs. Jason Cross/Shark Boy **** (TNA Weekly PPV)
-04/16/03 Jerry Lynn/Amazing Red vs. Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper **** (TNA Weekly PPV)
-06/25/03 Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper vs. Chris Harris/James Storm (Cage) ****1/4 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-08/27/03 AJ Styles vs. Raven **** (TNA Weekly PPV)
-09/03/03 Teddy Hart vs. Juventud Guerrera ****1/4 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-09/03/03 Juventud Guerrera vs. Chris Sabin ****1/2 (TNA Weekly PPV)
-07/21/04 Chris Harris/James Storm vs. Chase Stevens/Andy Douglas (Cage) **** (TNA Weekly PPV)
-11/07/04 X-Division Rumble **** (TNA Victory Road)
-11/10/04 Chris Sabin vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Elix Skipper (Ultimate X) **** (TNA Best drat Wrestling Show Period)
-12/05/04 Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin **** (TNA Turning Point)
-12/05/04 Chris Harris/James Storm vs. Christopher Daniels/Elix Skipper (Cage) ****3/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-01/16/05 Chris Harris/James Storm vs. Bobby Roode/Eric Young ****1/2 (TNA Final Resolution)
-01/16/05 AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin (Ultimate X) ****1/2 (TNA Final Resolution)
-02/13/05 AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels (30-Minute Iron Man) ****3/4 (TNA Against All Odds)
-04/24/05 AJ Styles vs. Abyss (Cage) ****1/4 (TNA Lockdown)
-07/17/05 Samoa Joe vs. Chris Sabin ****1/4 (TNA No Surrender)
-07/17/05 AJ Styles vs. Sean Waltman **** (TNA No Surrender)
-08/15/05 Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles ****1/4 (TNA Sacrifice)
-09/11/05 AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels ***** (TNA Unbreakable)
-10/23/05 Abyss vs. Rhyno vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Sabu (Monsters Ball) **** (TNA Bound for Glory)
-10/23/05 AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels **** (TNA Bound for Glory)
-11/03/05 Samoa Joe/Christopher Daniels/Alex Shelley vs. AJ Styles/Sonjay Dutt/Austin Aries **** (TNA Impact)
-11/13/05 Jeff Jarrett/Chris Harris/James Storm vs. Rhino/Brother Ray/Brother Devon **** (TNA Genesis)
-12/11/05 Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles ****3/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-01/15/06 Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels ****1/4 (TNA Final Resolution)
-02/12/06 Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles ****1/4 (TNA Against All Odds)
-03/12/06 Chris Sabin vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Puma vs. Petey Williams **** (TNA Destination X)
-04/13/06 Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels ****1/4 (TNA Impact)
-08/13/06 Samoa Joe vs. Rhino vs. Monty Brown (Falls Count Anywhere) ****1/4 (TNA Hard Justice)
-09/24/06 AJ Styles/Christopher Daniels vs. Homicide/Hernandez (Ultimate X) **** (TNA No Surrender)
-10/22/06 Senshi vs. Chris Sabin **** (TNA Bound for Glory)
-10/22/06 AJ Styles/Christopher Daniels vs. Homicide/Hernandez (Six Sides of Steel) **** (TNA Bound for Glory)
-11/19/06 Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe ****1/4 (TNA Genesis)
-12/10/06 Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle ****1/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-03/11/07 Christian Cage vs. Samoa Joe **** (TNA Destination X)
-04/15/07 Christian Cage/Tomko/Abyss/Scott Steiner/AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle/Sting/Samoa Joe/Rhino/Jeff Jarrett (Lethal Lockdown) **** (TNA Lockdown)
-05/13/07 Chris Sabin vs. Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt **** (TNA Sacrifice)
-05/13/07 Chris Harris vs. James Storm (Texas Death) ****1/4 (TNA Sacrifice)
-06/17/07 Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Chris Harris vs. Christian Cage vs. Kurt Angle (King of the Mountain) ****1/4 (TNA Slammiversary)
-10/14/07 Samoa Joe vs. Christian Cage **** (TNA Bound for Glory)
-11/11/07 Kaz vs. Christian Cage (Ladder) **** (TNA Genesis)
-01/17/08 Yuji Nagata vs. Kurt Angle **** (TNA Global Impact)
-04/13/08 Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe (Cage) ****1/4 (TNA Lockdown)
-07/13/08 Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin/Curry Man vs. Ultimo Guerrero/Rey Bucaner/Averno vs. Tyson Dux/Doug Williams/Alex Koslov vs. Masato Yoshino/Milano Collection A.T./Puma (Elimination) ****1/4 (TNA Victory Road)
-08/10/08 Kurt Angle vs. AJ Styles (Last Man Standing) ****1/4 (TNA Hard Justice)
-11/09/08 Kurt Angle vs. Abyss (Falls Count Anywhere) ****1/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-01/11/09 Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin **** (TNA Genesis)
-01/11/09 Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett ****1/2 (TNA Genesis) Part 2, Part 3
-03/15/09 Suicide vs. Jay Lethal vs. Consequences Creed vs. Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley (Ultimate X) **** (TNA Destination X)
-08/16/09 Christopher Daniels vs. Suicide vs. Consequences Creed vs. Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin vs. Jay Lethal vs. Amazing Red vs. Pope D'Angelo Dinero (Cage) **** (TNA Hard Justice)
-10/15/09 AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle ****1/4 (TNA Impact)
-10/18/09 Matt Morgan v Kurt Angle **** (TNA Bound for Glory)
-11/15/09 Kurt Angle vs. Desmond Wolfe ****1/4 (TNA Turning Point)
-11/15/09 AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Daniels ****1/2 (TNA Turning Point) Part 2, Part 3
-12/20/09 Kurt Angle vs. Desmond Wolfe (2 out of 3 falls, First Fall Pinfalls Only, Second Fall Submissions Only, Third Fall Escape the Cage) **** (TNA Final Resolution)
-12/20/09 AJ Styles vs. Daniels ****1/4 (TNA Final Resolution)
-01/04/10 AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle **** (TNA Impact)
-01/17/10 AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle **** (TNA Genesis)
-04/18/10 Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Anderson (Cage) ****1/2 (TNA Lockdown) Part 2, Part 3

Eugene Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 11, 2010