Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Finished my Akimbo shawl! http://ravel.me/Media/a1

From now on I'm going to have to start paying attention to changing needle size. This scarf cost like $60 to make. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Blue_monday posted:

From now on I'm going to have to start paying attention to changing needle size. This scarf cost like $60 to make. :|

I really like those colors together.

I hate knitting this week. I didn't finish my socks yet and then I tried to try them on to see where the toe should go and they won't go on my stupid fat foot. What the hell? Stupid socks!

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I need some suggestions for patterns to use up my LARGE stash of 8ply and DK wool. Also if anyone knows of a good simple sweater that is knitted in 2x2 ribbing (I knitted something in a dk with that ribbing and it was so warm and snuggly)!

Also I keep meaning to post this pattern because... ok, there is no good reason for posting it unless you wanted a festive bonnet in fancy yarn : http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/festive-winter-bonnet

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Blue_monday posted:

There's a little voice in my head wanting to know if you blocked that.

I do so love the colour choices. :3

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
For shawls, I've had my eye on Gail, Luna Moth, and Shipwreck.

I also just cast on Juno Regina using this :swoon:

Click here for the full 881x661 image.

Some other recent projects:

Click here for the full 855x642 image.

Lumiruusu

Octopus from Amigurumi Knits

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Lumiruusu looks stunning, and may give me something to do once I finished the Vernal Equinox shawl. How did the octopus go? I have a chronic disorder where I can't finish any single amigurumi/stuffed animal ever.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Izzy posted:

For shawls, I've had my eye on Gail, Luna Moth, and Shipwreck.

I've made Gail, and while the end result was great, if you're going to knit it then for the love of god use the unchart. The original charted pattern is a chore to figure out.

Also, your octopus is adorable. :3:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Izzy posted:

Octopus from Amigurumi Knits

That is awesome. Your stitches are so even! When I finish my current project (men's sweater made from sock yarn and 2 1/2 pt needles, yes I am insane) I am going to have to pick up that book and give a shot at that. How big is it when it's finished?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

That is awesome. Your stitches are so even! When I finish my current project (men's sweater made from sock yarn and 2 1/2 pt needles, yes I am insane) I am going to have to pick up that book and give a shot at that. How big is it when it's finished?

I'm with you on the insanity--I'm doing a stranded sock yarn lady's cardigan that's steeked and goes down to about midthigh. Oh dear.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
What the hell can you knit with Paton's Grace yarn? :geno: I'd do lace, but it's so...stiff? And twists up easily. And and and...

Holy wow that octopus is the cutest thing evar. I love octopi, have a lot of books on them. :3:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I've got a $150 order that just shipped from yarn.com I'm so pissed I didnt realize that the Malabrigo lace was only 470 yards :(

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

So, I want to knit a pillow with an intarsia design on it, and I'd like to do it in as few pieces as possible. I don't want to double knit it because I don't want the colors to be reversed on one side. Would I be able to cast on provisionally, knit through the chart, knit through the chart again instead of casting off, and then when I finish the chart the second time graft the live stitches to the cast on? After that, I should be able to just shove the pillow form in and sew up the sides, right?

I think it'd work, but I still feel like there's something I'm missing. Maybe I'd have to turn the chart upside down that second time, I dunno. Help?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm a newbie knitter, and am trying DPNs for the first time. I want to make http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hempathy-h20-tote but I'm having a hell of a time getting started. I can't even get 2 rows done without freaking out and starting all over. I think it's the thin yarn, and the tight circle that gets me.

Should I practice first with more cast on stitches? Or maybe with larger needles? Or should I just try to get the darn thing started for the umpteenth time and just press thru it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm a newbie knitter, and am trying DPNs for the first time. I want to make http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hempathy-h20-tote but I'm having a hell of a time getting started. I can't even get 2 rows done without freaking out and starting all over. I think it's the thin yarn, and the tight circle that gets me.

Should I practice first with more cast on stitches? Or maybe with larger needles? Or should I just try to get the darn thing started for the umpteenth time and just press thru it.

I adore dpns, but I'll admit those first few rows are fiddly. My first row ALWAYS has a huge gap between the beginning and end of the round. Other than just being patient and not freaking out that it's not as tight as it seems it should be, there isn't much for it. It gets so smooth after those first few rounds. Try tightening the first and second stitch at each new needle. The really important thing is making sure you aren't loosing stitches as you go on, which is why I prefer wood to metal--that bit of extra grip they offer really makes a difference getting started.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

FelicityGS posted:

I adore dpns, but I'll admit those first few rows are fiddly. My first row ALWAYS has a huge gap between the beginning and end of the round. Other than just being patient and not freaking out that it's not as tight as it seems it should be, there isn't much for it. It gets so smooth after those first few rounds. Try tightening the first and second stitch at each new needle. The really important thing is making sure you aren't loosing stitches as you go on, which is why I prefer wood to metal--that bit of extra grip they offer really makes a difference getting started.
Well, there's only 6 cast on stitches, so there's only 2 stitches per needle when I start. I have a feeling that's my problem, it's just so darn tight. I can't get a handle on what I'm doing before I have to switch to a new needle.

I am using clover bamboo needles. I don't really have anything to compare them to (except the crappy boyle metal ones that came with my "teach yourself to knit" pamphlet) but I like them.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

FelicityGS posted:

Lumiruusu looks stunning, and may give me something to do once I finished the Vernal Equinox shawl. How did the octopus go? I have a chronic disorder where I can't finish any single amigurumi/stuffed animal ever.
Not bad at all! The short rows for the eye section and the tentacles can get rather fiddly, but the instructions are very good.

Gently Used Coat posted:

I've made Gail, and while the end result was great, if you're going to knit it then for the love of god use the unchart. The original charted pattern is a chore to figure out.
Oh my God I love you so hard for this link. My main obstacle to starting was the fact that I couldn't make heads or tails of that chart. What yarn did you use for yours?

Genpei Turtle posted:

Thank you so much! I usually give everything I knit a soak in Euclan (or even just plain water) for an hour or so even if I don't plan on doing a full block. I've found that it really helps in evening out your stitches. With all the tentacles extended it's about 8 or 9 inches. It's knit with worsted weight yarn using #5 (American) needles.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Izzy posted:

Oh my God I love you so hard for this link. My main obstacle to starting was the fact that I couldn't make heads or tails of that chart. What yarn did you use for yours?

Yeah, charts are supposed to make things easier, but not this time! :v:

I used Knitpicks Palette. It's an all right yarn, not too luxurious though. Although, looking at it now, the Tidepool Heather color looks like it'd work really well for the peacock theme the shawl's got going on.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

Well, there's only 6 cast on stitches, so there's only 2 stitches per needle when I start. I have a feeling that's my problem, it's just so darn tight. I can't get a handle on what I'm doing before I have to switch to a new needle.

I am using clover bamboo needles. I don't really have anything to compare them to (except the crappy boyle metal ones that came with my "teach yourself to knit" pamphlet) but I like them.

That really likely is it. I have a set of 4" dpn's that I eventually got specifically for thumbs and tiny stuff. It's another one of those just plow through it till it gets comfortable. Those first few rows are the hardest.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Gently Used Coat posted:

Yeah, charts are supposed to make things easier, but not this time! :v:

I used Knitpicks Palette. It's an all right yarn, not too luxurious though. Although, looking at it now, the Tidepool Heather color looks like it'd work really well for the peacock theme the shawl's got going on.
It's great for knitters on a budget though. I used Shimmer for my Lumi shawl, and it turned out lovely. Tidepool is a nice one, though the raspberry on the same page looks really tempting. I definitely want to do something warm for my Gail, especially since I've been on a peacock colors kick for some reason. I've got...*counts*...five different projects in the works all using peacock-themed yarn. I didn't plan it, I just kept gravitating to green and blue for the last few trips to the yarn store. :v:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

It's extremely tough to knit in the round with dpns on such a small number of stitches - even if you've been doing it for a while!

You could try starting with waste yarn, knitting flat for a few rows, then pulling it into a circle and switching to the main yarn. It's easier with some foundation. Then when you're all done you can pull out the waste yarn and sew up the live stitches.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Can anyone help me with a pattern I'm working on? I've having a complete brainfart here on what to do next. Basically I'm starting an armhole steek on a sweater. From the pattern I can visualize what it's supposed to look like (sorta) but I can't figure out how to do it. At the moment it's just one giant tube knitted in the round. The pattern says:

Place the first st of rnd a safety pin [left underarm st]; with alt colours as for next rnd of chart cast on 4 steek sts and mark the first st cast on for beg of rnd; with darker colour cast on 1 edge st

Then you go around until you get to the middle of the round, cast on another 8 steek stitches surrounded by edge stitches, until you get to the end where you cast on another edge + four stitches to complete the steek you started at the beginning.

Am I supposed to knit one and put a safety pin on it or put the safety pin on the first stitch of the previous round (ie the one I'd be about to knit) And when it tells me to "cast on steek stitches" does that just mean I should add a few new stitches onto my right needle?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I think what you're meant to do is place the one stitch on a safety pin before you knit it, cast on 4 new stitches, and carry on. The cast on is exactly that--you're adding new stitches, and you'll knit those as you go on. A pretty good resource as to how this is meant to look, Eunny's Steeking Chronicles are pretty useful--just be prepared to see lots of things being cut.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Genpei, you are braver than I. Steeking terrifies me. I just can't get past the fact that I'm cutting my knitting. :ohdear:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Gently Used Coat posted:

So, I want to knit a pillow with an intarsia design on it, and I'd like to do it in as few pieces as possible. I don't want to double knit it because I don't want the colors to be reversed on one side. Would I be able to cast on provisionally, knit through the chart, knit through the chart again instead of casting off, and then when I finish the chart the second time graft the live stitches to the cast on? After that, I should be able to just shove the pillow form in and sew up the sides, right?

I think it'd work, but I still feel like there's something I'm missing. Maybe I'd have to turn the chart upside down that second time, I dunno. Help?

If you don't turn the chart upside down to do the second side, the design will be upside down on that side. As it's pretty unlikely that both sides will be on show at the same time, it doesn't matter if one is upside down. It's not like a bag where it would matter, it's a cushion

So yeah, just knit it as a huge rectangle and sew the pad in place. I don't understand why you want to graft live stitches onto your cast on, you can just knit until you've got a rectangle big enough (remember to give yourself a centimetre or 2 for seams!), cast off, and then fold it over the form and sew round the 3 open sides.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

If you don't turn the chart upside down to do the second side, the design will be upside down on that side. As it's pretty unlikely that both sides will be on show at the same time, it doesn't matter if one is upside down. It's not like a bag where it would matter, it's a cushion

So yeah, just knit it as a huge rectangle and sew the pad in place. I don't understand why you want to graft live stitches onto your cast on, you can just knit until you've got a rectangle big enough (remember to give yourself a centimetre or 2 for seams!), cast off, and then fold it over the form and sew round the 3 open sides.

Yeah, I might have been overthinking it a bit with the cast on thing. Thanks!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I think what you're meant to do is place the one stitch on a safety pin before you knit it, cast on 4 new stitches, and carry on. The cast on is exactly that--you're adding new stitches, and you'll knit those as you go on. A pretty good resource as to how this is meant to look, Eunny's Steeking Chronicles are pretty useful--just be prepared to see lots of things being cut.

Great, thanks! I did what you suggested, and it seemed OK, but after doing a few rows I noticed that now I have a big weird hole thing where the steek stitches are. Basically it seems like the cast on stitches are creating a hole because there aren't corresponding stitches below them. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong? I'd like to figure it out before I go any further while it won't be too much of a pain to have to go back.

Edit: That's a crappy description now that I read it. Here's a picture that may explain things better:

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 9, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I don't see it, but you do have the stitch there on the safety pin still? I'd assume so, since I don't see a big run away of stitches.

Otherwise, because you're adding extra stitches--4 is wider than 1--then yeah, it's gonna look a bit funny. When you graft/three needle bindoff/do what you're meant to for the sleeve, that'll disappear. Right now, it's just the extra fabric that's doing it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I don't see it, but you do have the stitch there on the safety pin still? I'd assume so, since I don't see a big run away of stitches.

Otherwise, because you're adding extra stitches--4 is wider than 1--then yeah, it's gonna look a bit funny. When you graft/three needle bindoff/do what you're meant to for the sleeve, that'll disappear. Right now, it's just the extra fabric that's doing it.

I do, but it's not in the picture--it's on the other side. I only had the one safety pin so just picture the stitch on the far left side of the hole as having the pin. (It will eventually as soon as I get another ne)

Or was I supposed to keep that one stitch on the safety pin as a holder separate from the work?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

I do, but it's not in the picture--it's on the other side. I only had the one safety pin so just picture the stitch on the far left side of the hole as having the pin. (It will eventually as soon as I get another ne)

Or was I supposed to keep that one stitch on the safety pin as a holder separate from the work?

I have never done steeks but I'm almost positive that it usually involves putting several stitches on hold at the bottom. It seems odd to me to have the bottom of the sleeve part consist of a single stitch even. Not saying you're wrong but it's odd.

Like this, see: http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/the_steeking_chronicles_puttin.html

It's just like when you do sleeves without a steek - they almost always start with "bind off four stitches" or five or whatever - the bottom of every sleeve hole I've seen is flat like that.

EDIT: The hole is definitely not a problem! You'll sew the sleeve in there and there won't be a hole. Just to clarify!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I have never done steeks but I'm almost positive that it usually involves putting several stitches on hold at the bottom. It seems odd to me to have the bottom of the sleeve part consist of a single stitch even. Not saying you're wrong but it's odd.

Hmm...it is a little strange. I think you may be right. It definitely does only consist of a single stitch though. Further in the work the neck steek definitely will be put on a holder.

Oh well, it's certainly not something that's hard to undo!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
21 days till the wedding, and I've finished the main body of the Crown Prince Shawl!

(better pictures to follow, I promise)

I am not knitting the canopy now, we've moved the wedding location, but I am working on a veil. Yeah.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Amykinz posted:

21 days till the wedding, and I've finished the main body of the Crown Prince Shawl!

I am not knitting the canopy now, we've moved the wedding location, but I am working on a veil. Yeah.

My god, it's full of nupps.

(GORGEOUS. That one is on my list for some day. Some very distant day).

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Amykinz posted:

[Pic of TOTALLY AWESOME SHAWL]

:aaaaa:

Seconding Bob. That is beautiful.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I finished two projects with aardvarklet's yarn: I THINK I put them in our ravelry group.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So I did some stupid things the other night, came home, and threw up over a good portion of my stash. Is there any good way to clean unknit yarn? I've got about 6 balls (many consisting of multiple skeins) of Caron Simply Soft that are now unclean and it represents a significant portion of a few projects I'm in the middle of, so if I can get away with not having to replace it that would be wonderful.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Son of a bitch, sorry about that gigantic image. I just now noticed it. I suck.

I don't know if there's a better way but my solution would be to unwind the balls and soak in woolite. But it's not the washing part that will suck- it's the drying. I wonder if you could tie a knot in the end and put it in tumble dry low and just check on it frequently?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think when something like that happens, you're supposed to rinse off the chunks, wind it in skeins (like, the big circles tied off in a few places), wash and soak thoroughly, then let it dry that way. I have no idea how well that would work with an acrylic, but at this point you don't have a lot to lose by trying. :(

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

Anne Whateley posted:

I think when something like that happens, you're supposed to rinse off the chunks, wind it in skeins (like, the big circles tied off in a few places), wash and soak thoroughly, then let it dry that way. I have no idea how well that would work with an acrylic, but at this point you don't have a lot to lose by trying. :(

I've washed reclaimed acrylic yarn like this and it's worked really well, just make sure you dry it completely out before rewinding. I unwound it around a chair back and I think I used Dr. Bronner's magic soap diluted in water. It'll take a good amount of time, but it can be done.

Also, the image of a girl coming home from a wild night partying and puking on her knitting stash is pretty funny :), good luck.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

Son of a bitch, sorry about that gigantic image. I just now noticed it. I suck.

I don't know if there's a better way but my solution would be to unwind the balls and soak in woolite. But it's not the washing part that will suck- it's the drying. I wonder if you could tie a knot in the end and put it in tumble dry low and just check on it frequently?

When I used to spin/dye wool I would turn it into a skein/big old loop (can't remember the real name) and hang it on a coat hanger outside with something weighing it down. I find that keeps the yarn nice and straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Ozma posted:

I finished two projects with aardvarklet's yarn: I THINK I put them in our ravelry group.

Nice! I see them!

How did you like knitting Summit? I'm eventually going to try that one when I get the urge to knit again. And how was the Tulare to knit with?