Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
How could you look at his self-portrait demo shots and not know he's insane?

That being said, I really want to visit their shop. He seems like he'd be hilarious and unbalanced in person as well. Like hanging out with that weird relative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Well I always thought the pic was more Grandpa Munster and less Archie Bunker.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rear end is my canvas posted:

Paul C. Buff announces new polarizer-

http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=538

Yeah, that'll show em.
So online photography stores are going to become like online gun stores now? (gunbroker is full of people who won't ship anything, gun-related or not, to CA because they're all communists and freedom haters out there.)

I have a B400 in the mail, and seeing this, I'm thinking about returning it and taking my business elsewhere.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
He may be weird, but I'll give him credit for selling a reasonably-priced product made domestically as opposed to outsourcing it.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
And I'll snatch that credit away with a negative post, because I for one denounce ignorance even if the end result of the ignorance is something you deem appreciative. I'd rather be wrong than be racist.

I'll snatch that credit away and loving burn it because encouragement of ignorance is a stepping stone crime to murder one.

Ha ha ha man I have no idea what "I'd rather be wrong than be racist" means but it sounds so serious. raaargh.

Does anybody know of any instances where someone is prosecuted and convicted of photos they've taken not of illegal acts, but whilst doing an illegal act. For example, someone prosecuted from posting online, photos of urbex? Anyone heard of any cases?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Helmacron posted:

Does anybody know of any instances where someone is prosecuted and convicted of photos they've taken not of illegal acts, but whilst doing an illegal act. For example, someone prosecuted from posting online, photos of urbex? Anyone heard of any cases?

I wonder if that would even stand up as evidence in court. You took the photos demonstrating that you were engaged in an illegal activity, but providing them to the police would effectively be incriminating yourself, so I would think that you could use the fifth amendment to fight their being used. And in that case, would the police taking them from you count as a forced confession?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Helmacron posted:

And I'll snatch that credit away with a negative post, because I for one denounce ignorance even if the end result of the ignorance is something you deem appreciative. I'd rather be wrong than be racist.

I'll snatch that credit away and loving burn it because encouragement of ignorance is a stepping stone crime to murder one.

Ha ha ha man I have no idea what "I'd rather be wrong than be racist" means but it sounds so serious. raaargh.

While I agree with you in spirit, if we stopped giving business to evil bastards we'd have to make everything ourselves. The most successful people tend to be more often than not the most evil, so v:shobon:v

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Just recently someone was prosecuted for "aiding and abetting" because he took photos of people doing graffiti.

Here it is.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

HPL posted:

He may be weird, but I'll give him credit for selling a reasonably-priced product made domestically as opposed to outsourcing it.

lol, he might be doing some assembly in house, but there is no way 100% of each product is made in the US, some of those boards and capacitors are Chinese made or I'll eat my hat.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helmacron posted:

I never heard of anyone seeing any ill consequences of online posting when I was involved in the Chicago urbex scene. Many people were afraid to post their faces, but numerous others did. Granted, it's not the most horrific crime in the world. Maybe the pictures are seen by authorities but not worth the trouble...? I have seen places more locked down due to excessive internet posting and even had some cops ask me if I was going to "post them on some blogs" when they stopped me as I was leaving a site.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
This looks like hella fun, DSLR hooked up to an RC choppa. A "cheap" way to get some aerial photography done.

http://vimeo.com/10878737

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

fenner posted:

This looks like hella fun, DSLR hooked up to an RC choppa. A "cheap" way to get some aerial photography done.

Choppers can be kinda risky, and require a fair bit of skill to fly (plus one that can lift a DSLR is pretty pricey). I'm considering getting into kite aerial photography though.

MAKE video I posted before

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RC choppers are indeed loving hard to fly without crashing them, and harder still to fly well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

orange lime posted:

I wonder if that would even stand up as evidence in court. You took the photos demonstrating that you were engaged in an illegal activity, but providing them to the police would effectively be incriminating yourself, so I would think that you could use the fifth amendment to fight their being used. And in that case, would the police taking them from you count as a forced confession?

The fifth amendment is testimonial in nature. How did the police get the pictures? Did they, pursuant to a valid warrant, find them when searching your home? Can be used if they can be authenticated. Did you publish them online? They can be used if authenticated.

The guy being charged with aiding and abetting has a good case, on the face of it. He didn't arrange for the commission of the crime, he went to one already planned. He didn't aid in the planning or execution, according to him. He's basically being charged with being their lookout, which would be illegal, but he denies it and the facts don't seem to support that allegation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fenner posted:

TFR/GBS's Bushman (yeah he's a goofball but stick with me here) rigged up a camera (it may have actually been a disposable or a quick P&S) to an RC airplane to get aerial shots of pigs causing damage to his rice farm. It was actually pretty impressive. I'll see if I can dig up how he did it.

EDIT: Here we go. It was an old Sony camcorder, whoops.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 10, 2010

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Paul C. Buff posted:

AWWW poo poo YA'LL I'M CRAZY!

I was all set to post about how awesome some of his stuff was on this last shoot I did when I, and all my radio triggers fell in a river. Everything got dried out and worked just fine.

Now though, man. What the gently caress? I knew he was crazy, but I didn't know he was THAT special sort of batshit.

So, how are those D-Lights working out for everyone?

**EDIT**

I can't find it, but the original thing PCB put up reminds me of that Pepperidge Farm commercial spoof on The Family Guy.

"Remember when some folks weren't allowed to use the same drinking fountain? Paul C. Buff remembers."

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 10, 2010

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Honestly the immigration commentary is crazy but not really that outside of the normal kinds of nuts.

This stuff on the other hand...

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Awwww dammit!

gently caress, this is another one of those Chick-fil-a situations. Do I buy their food because its drat tasty even while I hate how they push their religion/politics, or do I take my dollar elsewhere and cling to the illusion that their competition is somehow "better" as far as all that stuff goes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

squidflakes posted:

how they push their religion/politics,

The hell? I may have missed something here, and Chick Fil A isn't that common here in Ohio, but all I've gotten from them are sandwiches and ads during football games about eating chicken. :confused:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DJExile posted:

The hell? I may have missed something here, and Chick Fil A isn't that common here in Ohio, but all I've gotten from them are sandwiches and ads during football games about eating chicken. :confused:

I call the place the Christian Chicken Shack. They donate a huge amount of money to organizations like Focus on the Family and have gotten in trouble on more than one occasion for requiring employees to pray with management and giving non-Christian employees a hard time.

This is also why they are closed on Sundays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A

Yeah, its wikipedia but the Religions Connections section at the bottom is pretty spot on.

Personally, I wouldn't give a drat about their religious affiliation if it wasn't the incredibly scary kind.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

TsarAleksi posted:

Honestly the immigration commentary is crazy but not really that outside of the normal kinds of nuts.

This stuff on the other hand...

Holy poo poo.

"Alien Bees - Rock and Roll and Me"

by Paul Conrad Buff - Coming Soon

The definative autobiographical novel of the life of Paul Conrad Buff (1936 - )
How he succeded by the seat of his pants in the music business, audio equipment manufacturing, photo equipment manufacturing, publishing and art following the adage "Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention" and a belief in the power of amateurs.

Includes childhood adventures, Marines, Pal Recording Studios days with Frank Zappa, Original Sound Studio with Art Laboe, Allison Research Inc., Valley People Inc, Paul C. Buff Inc - White Lightning & AlienBees, Different Strokes Art Gallery and more.

Suitable for ages 14 and up

Hardcover with pictures

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 10, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Whitezombi posted:

Holy poo poo.

:aaaaa:

These can't be real, right? This cover is hilariously bad. Why is it that people who are purportedly good photographers can have NO IDEA what makes an image looks good when it's not a photo?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

orange lime posted:

:aaaaa:

These can't be real, right? This cover is hilariously bad. Why is it that people who are purportedly good photographers can have NO IDEA what makes an image looks good when it's not a photo?

You forgot The River Book II...Electric Boogaloo

He probably gives his employees these as gifts for Christmas.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 10, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Different Strokes Art Gallery

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

pwn posted:

Different Strokes Art Gallery

He's a man of means whose got nothing but his jeans and he's gonna move the world.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Frank Frazetta nooooooooooooooo!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/frank-frazetta-fantasy-illustrator-dies-at-82/

Bonus points for the NY Times using "The Death Dealer" in Franzetta's online obit.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
This thread just gets weirder and weirder.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

orange lime posted:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2003501534_asim02.html

quote:

Prosecutors argued that the scribbled lyrics found in Wilson's pocket soon after the deaths of the officers were evidence of his guilt.

There was another rapper convicted years ago with lyrics used as evidence, I forget his stage name but I think it was Dirty something.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Let me just say that today is the 3rd time I've been laughed at when I told someone what I was looking to pay to rent a 10X10 climate controlled space so I could at least fool myself in to thinking that I had a studio.

What the gently caress commercial real estate?!?! You're supposed to be in a slump!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

squidflakes posted:

Let me just say that today is the 3rd time I've been laughed at when I told someone what I was looking to pay to rent a 10X10 climate controlled space so I could at least fool myself in to thinking that I had a studio.

What the gently caress commercial real estate?!?! You're supposed to be in a slump!

Is 10x10 even really big enough though? I realize it might be better than nothing but you would be extremely limited.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RangerScum posted:

Is 10x10 even really big enough though? I realize it might be better than nothing but you would be extremely limited.

It could work, so long as you can stand outside and shoot in, which shouldn't be a problem.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

torgeaux posted:

It could work, so long as you can stand outside and shoot in, which shouldn't be a problem.

Yep that is true, I hadn't considered that.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Friend of mine recently bought a Promaster (rebadged Tamron) 17-50 2.8 Nikon mount for $85.

He saw the ad on Craigslist. It was extremely succinct -- just the lens name and an e-mail. He e-mailed the guy and found out his name, and googled it with the city name. Came up as some doctor in the area. Then he googled it without the city name in the search, and it's the same name as some convicted rapist who was exonerated after like 8 years from DNA evidence. I told him to bring a knife or something when he met the guy.

Turns out it was the doctor, and apparently he didn't realize what the lens was worth. Mint condition Tamron 17-50 2.8 for $85. The bastard. Gotta love Craigslist.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RangerScum posted:

Could certainly work for headshots or still life.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I love browsing http://thisalso.com/ and I want to make a website just like everyone on that site but I know I'll be like a kid dressing up in her mother's clothing and putting on her make-up and attempting to strut in high heels and I'll look ridiculous, and it saddens me.

Also I think this is my most visited thread in the forums.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dakana posted:

it's the same name as some convicted rapist who was exonerated after like 8 years from DNA evidence. I told him to bring a knife or something when he met the guy..

Exonerated means they determined that he was innocent, you know. :P

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

Friend of mine recently bought a Promaster (rebadged Tamron) 17-50 2.8 Nikon mount for $85.

He saw the ad on Craigslist. It was extremely succinct -- just the lens name and an e-mail. He e-mailed the guy and found out his name, and googled it <snip> it's the same name as some convicted rapist who was exonerated after like 8 years from DNA evidence. I told him to bring a knife or something when he met the guy.

8th-samurai posted:

Could certainly work for headshots or still life.

This is how I read the last two posts.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

orange lime posted:

Exonerated means they determined that he was innocent, you know. :P

Prison changes people, maaaan.

also, I can't believe I just made this.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

dakana posted:

Prison changes people, maaaan.

also, I can't believe I just made this.

Sweet how can I make my cameras evolve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

TsarAleksi posted:

Sweet how can I make my cameras evolve?

you just throw money at them, man