Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

torgeaux posted:

Is the haloing around him and what looks like intense over-sharpening part of the concept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

torgeaux posted:

I gotta say, that's a real awkward crop. He looks like he has arm stumps.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob

McMadCow posted:

I gotta say, that's a real awkward crop. He looks like he has arm stumps.

It doesn't help that his shirt looks to be several sizes too big, enveloping most of his arms.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Well I've finally got some free time from work, so I can practice taking portraits! Sadly, however, there's no one around other than me, and occasionally my little brother, to practice on. Here's what I've got so far:

That's so deliciously awkward :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Reichstag posted:

Is the haloing around him and what looks like intense over-sharpening part of the concept?

No and yes...in fact, the haloing is part of the attempt to really separate him from the background, done without much subtlety. I'm going to re-examine it, as I think it may be better as b&w with less aggressive post.

The intent was to really emphasize the harsh look he has...and intense, obvious sharpening was for that purpose.

The shirt hanging loose on him is also good, since the sort of gaunt, even a bit haggard look is why I like this shot. Nothing I can do about the arms being severed, though.

edit:

In fact, I need to re-examine the crop. I don't want to lose the arms at the bottom, because how skinny those arms are in the shirt is important...but I need to figure a way to draw the eye to that as well.

edit2: Not sure I like this better, despite how heavy handed the original post was.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 4, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
These may be boring, but I'm still trying.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
@torgeaux: I have looked at this on two different screens now and it still seems really underexposed. All I notice is a bright yellow shirt and a beard- the rest is darkness. In my opinion you should at least use a reflector to cover the right side of his face if not his entire face. That would also give you the desired separation instead of using a halo. Your revised version looks a lot better than the original, but does not have the sharpness. Maybe limit unsharpen to just his face ?

@AIIAZNSK8ER: That close crop looks nice except for the hideous splotchy background. There's also probably some room for increased contrast.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cross_ posted:

@torgeaux: I have looked at this on two different screens now and it still seems really underexposed. All I notice is a bright yellow shirt and a beard- the rest is darkness. In my opinion you should at least use a reflector to cover the right side of his face if not his entire face. That would also give you the desired separation instead of using a halo. Your revised version looks a lot better than the original, but does not have the sharpness. Maybe limit unsharpen to just his face ?

@AIIAZNSK8ER: That close crop looks nice except for the hideous splotchy background. There's also probably some room for increased contrast.

Thanks. As always, good tips in here.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I really can't tell if you're being serious or not any more.

Obscurum
Apr 23, 2007

The world is not beautiful. But that in itself lends it a kind of beauty.
Humm. Words are escaping me here. That is. Nope, I got nothing.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
HDR of a model wearing a bruce lee mask?

edit: Love the one pink nipple

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 6, 2010

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

psylent posted:

I don't think he's ever been serious.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Powerful. To others, this is a questionable portrait, but I think that the Reichstag name here really carries it to the next level. The low resolution and drab overtones really emphasize the pain that he must feel.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Holy poo poo it's Golgo 13 :v:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Reichstag posted:

So Holga and Lomo making digital cameras now?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

squidflakes posted:

So Holga and Lomo making digital cameras now?

Nikon D100 and a Nikkor 50 1.8 AF-D.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Reichstag posted:

Nikon D100 and a Nikkor 50 1.8 AF-D.

You used a digital camera? Get away from me... you disgust me. :D

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

psylent posted:

I never was able to tell.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

Is the artifacting around him and what looks like intense over-pixelation part of the concept?

I like it, by the way.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Whitezombi posted:

Is that shot in a parking lot? I would have sworn that was done in a studio.

This was just a snap, but I really like it after putting a little work into it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

scottch posted:

Is that shot in a parking lot? I would have sworn that was done in a studio.

Yes it was.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Whitezombi posted:

I like #2 a lot more, I'd cut down on the empty space at the top.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
A local full-timer photographer got some of us wannabes together, got a model, and let us go hog wild.

I haven't really worked on anything yet, but this one caught my eye:

On camera 550ex, with a Lumiquest Softbox III

Anti_Social fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 8, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hey guys, I feel like a douche posting a photo for review without adding any critique of my own, but I'm only just getting started in portraiture and so I don't really know what I'm looking for yet. Hope that's okay!

I'm looking for feedback on lighting, posing, and what you think of the crop... so, everything. :v:

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

BobTheCow posted:

Hey guys, I feel like a douche posting a photo for review without adding any critique of my own, but I'm only just getting started in portraiture and so I don't really know what I'm looking for yet. Hope that's okay!

I'm looking for feedback on lighting, posing, and what you think of the crop... so, everything. :v:

The smile looks kinda wonky, but maybe that's just how the model looks? Also it looks like she's gripping her leg unnecessarily tight. I like the location and the lighting looks nice. Why did you choose this location? Does it have any meaning to the person photographed? Just some food for thought.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

The curve of her back isn't terribly flattering. She's kind of hunched over, be sure to direct models to keep their shoulders back and backs straight.

The skirt/culottes she's wearing looks pretty baggy and gives the impression she has a vast rear end.

I like the location and how she's being framed by the stair railing. Got any more shots from the set?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

digitalhifi posted:

The smile looks kinda wonky, but maybe that's just how the model looks? Also it looks like she's gripping her leg unnecessarily tight. I like the location and the lighting looks nice. Why did you choose this location? Does it have any meaning to the person photographed? Just some food for thought.

Yeah, unfortunately she's got crazy teeth. And the hand was something I noticed after reviewing photos at home, not at the time of the shoot, and I was hoping I was just being overly nitpicky with that observation. Good to know it's as obvious as I thought. :)

This location was actually sort of an accident. We had been shooting in two other spots in the area, and just sort of stumbled across these stairs on the way out and decided to play around. This ended up being her favorite location/pose from the day. No real meaning, but I know what you mean, something to keep in mind.

Paragon8 posted:

The curve of her back isn't terribly flattering. She's kind of hunched over, be sure to direct models to keep their shoulders back and backs straight.

The skirt/culottes she's wearing looks pretty baggy and gives the impression she has a vast rear end.

I like the location and how she's being framed by the stair railing. Got any more shots from the set?

Good call on the back/shoulders, thanks, something I hadn't even considered. Same with the clothes.

I have more, but I liked this one because of the relatively clean background behind her head. Most of the rest either have a railing shooting through her head or that ugly green drainpipe growing out of it.

A couple uncropped/unedited originals from the same location/pose:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I like the un-cropped version a lot more actually.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Paragon8 posted:

I like the un-cropped version a lot more actually.

Well I don't like that one because of the drainpipe head, but here's the one I do like uncropped:

I cropped in from the right to clean up the background by getting rid of the door, and down from the top to emphasize the framing of the rails over her head. What sort of crop would you prefer?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Well I don't like that one because of the drainpipe head, but here's the one I do like uncropped:

I cropped in from the right to clean up the background by getting rid of the door, and down from the top to emphasize the framing of the rails over her head. What sort of crop would you prefer?

Haha, it's ultimately about what you prefer. I just think it's good have a bit of space when you're working in a visually interesting environment.

The lines all work really well. You've got the stairs giving "movement" towards the subject as well as the framing from the banister. I didn't really notice the drainpipe at all, but the more recent shot you posted gets rid of the problem.

I think the quoted picture is the strongest crop. Giving stairs more horizontal room is nicer to me.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

This was my first time doing an album cover. There was a lot of processing involved; I'd show the before pics but it may be better for them just to never be seen, working with "regular" people is something I've gotten out of the habit of. At least it pays better.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

stairs girl

It looks like she's ducking to avoid hitting her head on the railing.
Her skin color looks a bit magenta to me but you can tweak that later.
Those straight-on shots aren't really flattering. Also a little bright.

She does have a nice smile though. If you bring her back to the stairs, have her pose parallel to the wall instead of perpendicular. Maybe not right up against it. If you can get her in focus with the railing and background blurred, it might look cool, and if her posture is at the same angle as the railing in the pic it might have a nice effect too.

Play around with the angles, shoot her behind the railing from below, switch places, etc.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Oh Reichstag ;-*

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Honestly, I can kind of dig it.

It's an interesting statement on how far you can push digital photography - basically to the point where it looks like pixel art.

I've frequently hit lines in my processing where I question if what I'm still working on is a photograph or just a digital image.

Is that at all what you're going for Reichstag?

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
I think he's going for "how long until people call me out on this poo poo".

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Taz posted:

I think he's going for "how long until people call me out on this poo poo".

Seriously, silence works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
holy crap, is that Hokuto no Ken?