Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I'm trying to remember the name of a video from a few (2-5) years back. It CGI video about this old decrepit guy researching some sort of disease on this abandoned oil tanker. He then climbs a ladder to the top of the tanker, and the camera zooms out to show a bunch of other abandoned ships near his. The guy then kills himself.

Then it turns out that it's all the delusions of the same old guy in a retirement home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've been searching for 10 years, and haven't found this yet. Can anyone find me the version of the After Dark screensavers with Rat Race, Bad Dog, Flying Toasters (karaoke style with a winged ball bouncing along in time with the music), and others? I remember it being on my dad's laptop back in 1997-1998, and it might have been Windows 95 or Win98, I can't remember. I bought the After Dark 4.0 collection in 2001, but it didn't have what I was looking for. If anyone can help me out, I'd much appreciate it. Screensavers that old have to be shareware by now.

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Man, I remember After Dark...my favorite used to be Star Trek ones, where Horta would chase the Red Shirts into tunnels, and Worf would have his son get a weapon out of a bag and then proceed to cut up the desktop. Occasionally, he would refuse a weapon, and say "No...no...please, no." Can't find either one anymore...

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

I'm trying to find a commercial that I once saw on YouTube. It was for a snack cracker, and I think it was a Nabisco product. Probably early '70s, set at a party, done very much in a Laugh-In style. It may have featured Edward Herrmann or someone that looked very much like him, and an actress that looked very much like a young Carol Burnett. I think it had one name, something like Quackers or Zingers that played off the comedy angle of the commercial.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

HonorableTB posted:

I've been searching for 10 years, and haven't found this yet. Can anyone find me the version of the After Dark screensavers with Rat Race, Bad Dog, Flying Toasters (karaoke style with a winged ball bouncing along in time with the music), and others? I remember it being on my dad's laptop back in 1997-1998, and it might have been Windows 95 or Win98, I can't remember. I bought the After Dark 4.0 collection in 2001, but it didn't have what I was looking for. If anyone can help me out, I'd much appreciate it. Screensavers that old have to be shareware by now.

Oh my god if someone finds a way to run all the oldschool After Dark screensavers under Windows 7 I will probably marry or gay-marry that person, I'd kill for that poo poo :v:

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Nettle Soup posted:

It wasn't Jack was it?

no :( It wasn't that kind of comic. I still can't find it.

EDIT: YESSSSSSSSSS After digging through literal poo poo (webcomics listings) I managed to find it!! Down to earth, how could I forget...

haha it actually sucks balls how did I ever like this

http://www.downtoearthcomic.com/

Swamp Zero fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 30, 2010

Alyeska
Oct 22, 2008
This isn't so long-lost, I think it was fairly recent, but I can't find it for the life of me. It was a series of photos of actors and actresses, I specifically remember Hugh Laurie and Mariska Hargitay. They were told different scenarios and the photographs were of their reactions/facial expressions. There were scenarios like, "Pretend you're a 5-year-old who has unlimited candy" or "You're a father who just got told your daughter was viciously murdered". It had maybe 10 or 15 actors/actresses altogether, and each one had three different scenarios/photos, it resulted in some pretty neat photos. I'd love to see it again.

Drosian
Sep 27, 2004
not intrusive
I am looking for a 3D Snake game. In this particular one, you played Snake on the surface of objects like a sphere or a torus. It featured a few different modes, like "blind mode" (my favourite) where the surface was invisible.

It was a lot of fun, I would like to see it again.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Drosian posted:

I am looking for a 3D Snake game. In this particular one, you played Snake on the surface of objects like a sphere or a torus. It featured a few different modes, like "blind mode" (my favourite) where the surface was invisible.

It was a lot of fun, I would like to see it again.

The game you are looking for is linked in the PYF subforum PYF Flash Games thread...not sure which page. It's been posted within the last 3 months though.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

YouDummy posted:

I'm not familiar with the dub, but the video is from a radio campaign for WLUP-FM in 1991 known as Cuz. The same video was used in ads for stations all over the US and Canada, and many of the stations renamed Cuz to Joey Bag O' Donuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ypfs0aBdc

Holy poo poo! Besides the dub, that is the exact video! Thank a lot!

Drosian
Sep 27, 2004
not intrusive

Markoff Chaney posted:

The game you are looking for is linked in the PYF subforum PYF Flash Games thread...not sure which page. It's been posted within the last 3 months though.

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, I just checked the thread and could not find it. Without knowing the title, the OP doesn't help much and 3 months is a lot of posts. Could you scan the OP and tell me which one it is you're suggesting?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3120041&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
There was a site that I found either in the lost SA stuff thread or one similar to this, but after scouring them, I couldn't find it and my bookmark to it has seemed to disappear.

It's a collection of dozens of user-submitted fictional stories about various supernatural things, either aliens, demons or artifacts. The stories were framed in a government report type style and was like X-Files or maybe like Warehouse 13. Some were short little entries and some were long multi-part stories.

The one that I remember best was about a cd-sized disc with lines etched into it that had to lie flat. If it was on its side, it would roll faster and faster until it hit something and landed flat. The disc would change colors depending on who held it, and the holder could walk through mirrors while in contact with the disc. On the other side of the mirror, the holders would end up in an alternate world hued to the color of the disc. One was in a field, a city, an abandoned farm, and a government complex.

The creepy part is that the alternate world was devoid of life except for these legless giants that crawled by literally stretching their arms and could absorb living matter into themselves.

I'd love to read these again, but google hasn't helped me at all.

EDIT: Thank you! Yes, read the above story. It's a great, creepy read.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 1, 2010

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Moai Ou posted:

There was a site that I found either in the lost SA stuff thread or one similar to this, but after scouring them, I couldn't find it and my bookmark to it has seemed to disappear.

It's a collection of dozens of user-submitted fictional stories about various supernatural things, either aliens, demons or artifacts. The stories were framed in a government report type style and was like X-Files or maybe like Warehouse 13. Some were short little entries and some were long multi-part stories.

The one that I remember best was about a cd-sized disc with lines etched into it that had to lie flat. If it was on its side, it would roll faster and faster until it hit something and landed flat. The disc would change colors depending on who held it, and the holder could walk through mirrors while in contact with the disc. On the other side of the mirror, the holders would end up in an alternate world hued to the color of the disc. One was in a field, a city, an abandoned farm, and a government complex.

The creepy part is that the alternate world was devoid of life except for these legless giants that crawled by literally stretching their arms and could absorb living matter into themselves.

I'd love to read these again, but google hasn't helped me at all.

I'm pretty sure that you're thinking of Secure Contain Protect. I've not read that one you're talking about. If you find it, you should link me to it.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

I'm pretty sure that you're thinking of Secure Contain Protect. I've not read that one you're talking about. If you find it, you should link me to it.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/

SCP-093 is the one he's talking about, I think. It's one of my favorites.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

platypusmalone posted:

Anyone remember Waffle House Hoe? I can still remember the basic structure: Some guy banging on a pot with a spoon and the lyrics were "Goin down to the waffle house, pull down my pants and whip my dick out". It was pretty funny poo poo and he had a bunch of parody etc mp3s. It was waaay back, probably the late 90s. I cannot at all remember what his name is, anyone know?

Its not the lovely thing on youtube by Mr Bambu

This is Pimp Daddy Welfare. He's from Columbus Ohio - he was actually rooming with my buddys brother for awhile.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Does anyone remember those grotesque letters supposedly written by Oscar Wilde? The ones about his wife's farts.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

King Carnivore posted:

Does anyone remember those grotesque letters supposedly written by Oscar Wilde? The ones about his wife's farts.
Ah, that was James Joyce, not Oscar Wilde.

http://loveletters.tribe.net/thread/fce72385-b146-4bf2-9d2e-0dfa6ac7142d

And bonus Kate Beaton comic about them:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=32

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This is a bit of a stretch, but I watched a documentary in high school about Stephen Hawking/astronomy. I really liked it because part of it focused on Hawking before he was confined to the wheelchair and it talked about his Playboy bet and some of the pranks he used to play and stuff. It was awesome because it made me see him in a whole new light. I don't remember much else, other than that it seemed to be about half Hawking bio stuff and half basic astronomy stuff. Anyone know of anything like this?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Ah, that was James Joyce, not Oscar Wilde.

No wonder I couldn't find them. Thanks a lot.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Anyone remeber a website that was called "crescent-island.net(org,com)" i dont really remember, but it was a text rpg game site, im just wanna see if there is anything like that out there anymore?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is long lost internet junk - from the SA forums

Well, sort of long lost. It got submitted to reddit today, and I read the whole thing while at work. Does anyone know whether this was real, or just an extended fake post?

Synopsis: Dude works for corporation, corporation forgets he is there, dude does jack, has a few random close calls but works them to his advantage and continues to do jack.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

FakeHipster posted:

Synopsis: Dude works for corporation, corporation forgets he is there, dude does jack, has a few random close calls but works them to his advantage and continues to do jack.
I love that story!

I have heard that it's not real, but I think you'll agree with me when I say we pretend otherwise.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Anyone else remember the old flash animations FYAD FYAD LOL? I've been trying to find them again recently with no luck. Any help would be much obliged.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

Anyone else remember the old flash animations FYAD FYAD LOL? I've been trying to find them again recently with no luck. Any help would be much obliged.

Try here

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I remember some coffee(?) commercial where it has a guy in a office and he quits his job and wants to have kids with one employee and she says lots of babies and puts paper under her shirt. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

ChampRamp posted:

I remember some coffee(?) commercial where it has a guy in a office and he quits his job and wants to have kids with one employee and she says lots of babies and puts paper under her shirt. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's an ad for Nutragrain bars

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've had these images on my hard drive for forever and for the life of me I can't remember where I found them or what they're from. They're wacky fictional WWII-era mech-walkers I guess, but I've got no idea if they're from an actual model kit or if someone scratch-built them or something.

I know absolutely nothing about these things. I don't know how big they are or anything. But I'd sure love to know more. :ohdear: File info says the pics are from 2004.

jesus_rocket
Jan 11, 2006

OMG HAPPEE

Xenomrph posted:

Wacky pictures of WW2 style mechs

I've seen that second one on Hobby Link Japan,

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?rel=nav&GenreCode=Sci&MacroType=ResKit&Scale=35

There we go! look under MiG productions for what you want. They're the company that makes them.

For my contribution:

I saw some wacky CG student film? called "Pop-o-matic time machine" It was on at the Melbourne museum on one of their computers, but i can't seem to find it anywhere.

jesus_rocket fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 10, 2010

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You are amazing. :monocle:

Seriously, thanks for finding that for me so quickly. :hfive:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

HonorableTB posted:

I found something for you.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LLYG1G7R

Run adtray.exe

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There was this hilarious clip that was posted on the forums a few years ago, before Youtube. I don't remember much of it, except that it seemed like a parody of those PBS educational childrens' shows, and there was a part where kids went around to people and asked them all sorts of hosed-up questions. The intro to that section was a bunch of kids singing "Kids on the street! Kids on the beat! Beat Kids! Beat Kids!" with the logo consisting of two fists with "BEAT KIDS" written on the knuckles. There was one part where I think a girl was asking people weird questions while they came out of the bathroom, and also clips of a meat-processing facility. And maybe a decomposing fox? I'm not sure about that part.

That's all I can remember, and Youtube isn't very helpful when I search for "beat kids"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There was this hilarious clip that was posted on the forums a few years ago, before Youtube. I don't remember much of it, except that it seemed like a parody of those PBS educational childrens' shows, and there was a part where kids went around to people and asked them all sorts of hosed-up questions. The intro to that section was a bunch of kids singing "Kids on the street! Kids on the beat! Beat Kids! Beat Kids!" with the logo consisting of two fists with "BEAT KIDS" written on the knuckles. There was one part where I think a girl was asking people weird questions while they came out of the bathroom, and also clips of a meat-processing facility. And maybe a decomposing fox? I'm not sure about that part.

That's all I can remember, and Youtube isn't very helpful when I search for "beat kids"

Wonder Showzen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Showzen

I loved that "beat kids" line too. Pretty much everything about that show was comedy gold.

vvv e: I haven't been able to get it to work on Win7 64, but I've been lazy and the most I did was right click adtray and try to run it as XP SP2.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 10, 2010

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

WebDog posted:

Run adtray.exe

Please tell me this works with modern versions of Windows, specifically Win7 x64. Pleasepleaseplease.

Edit: Downloading it anyway to test.

Edit: Bah. I tried it and a couple others I found on Google, and none of them work right. Why can't someone just make a new engine that supports the old .AD modules on current systems, in 32-bit mode (for maximum compatibility with what's currently in use) and with a proper configuration panel (from Screen Savers -> Settings rather than a separate tab in the Display control panel like AD 4.0 did, which is inaccessible on Win7.) I mean, 4.0 will install (mostly) and the default City Lights screensaver works, but I can't change it or do anything beyond that.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 10, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Wonder Showzen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Showzen

I loved that "beat kids" line too. Pretty much everything about that show was comedy gold.

vvv e: I haven't been able to get it to work on Win7 64, but I've been lazy and the most I did was right click adtray and try to run it as XP SP2.
Yessssssssssssssss, thank you!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jesus_rocket posted:

I've seen that second one on Hobby Link Japan,

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?rel=nav&GenreCode=Sci&MacroType=ResKit&Scale=35

There we go! look under MiG productions for what you want. They're the company that makes them.
Update -- seems the one on that site are different from the ones in my pic. :( I checked the MiG Productions homepage and they really didn't have the ones in that pic, either.

THE SEARCH CONTINUES.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

WebDog posted:

Run adtray.exe

After Dark 3.1 barely got a decent adaptation to Windows, that's what AfterDark 4 did, and that was mostly a new engine.
Remember this is still expecting windows 3.1/95 so it won't hook in with the screensaver setting.

I've gotten it to work by running adtray.exe and ad30.exe in compatibility mode.
It works...ok on Windows 7 here but it isn't as transparent as it was in Vista/Xp where it would nest in the notification area, windows 7's new taskbar dumps the icon on there.

To make it a bit more automated just drag a shortcut to your startup folder.

The developers were pretty drat clever and thanks to the multimodule pretty much every screensaver can be scaled on larger screens.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5G0B52R0
Here's another version - this one specifically has more support for classic modules and the star trek ones.

I've yet to find the magic mix that will get all modules to properly load as many seem to be version exclusive.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 10, 2010

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Anyone remember a Youtuber who was very thin, had long hair, and spoke in a very pretentious/"proper" English accent? There was a thread a couple years ago on the guy and someone bought him an account and he posted a few times in the thread. Someone also made an avatar that I think someone else other than him used which was an animated gif of the guy and the text under the avatar talked about Ad Hominem fallacies. I can't remember the guy's name (SA name or Youtube name). Any help?

Scarytale
Jan 24, 2008

Wear your whore makeup, you whore.
There was a web comic I saw a year or so ago, and the main character was an offensive teddy bear (I'm 99% sure it was a teddy bear, I know it was definitely a bear anyway), it was quite well drawn and very funny, the bear joked about AIDS etc and I can't for the life of me find it or remember what it's called.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Botulism Army .GIF, from these forums around 2000 or 2001. Over several frames it zoomed in on two clostridium botulinum talking to each other, and one of them says something like "gently caress YOU BASTARD rear end OXYGEN BREATHERS".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyone remember a Youtuber who was very thin, had long hair, and spoke in a very pretentious/"proper" English accent? There was a thread a couple years ago on the guy and someone bought him an account and he posted a few times in the thread. Someone also made an avatar that I think someone else other than him used which was an animated gif of the guy and the text under the avatar talked about Ad Hominem fallacies. I can't remember the guy's name (SA name or Youtube name). Any help?
Oh god, I remember that guy! Wasn't he an "author" or English student or something, and the most pretentious person on the planet?

• Locked thread