Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

big_g posted:

Couple of more updated pics for you guys.

I like it, that wash really took the "model kit" look away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

LintMan posted:

More FOW. This time some Shermans to go with my infantry.

Are these just on FoW large bases? I love the combined arms look of the shermans, I might steal the idea when I get around to doing my :derp: WAFFEN-SS :derp:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

No Pun Intended posted:

I like it, that wash really took the "model kit" look away.

Thanks I appreciate it.

One other I do with this scale that I found helps is to take the base colour and do a tiny, tiny spray from a large distance over the whole model. In this case it was the desert yellow colour. It seems to tie the colours together some what.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Devlan Mud posted:

Are these just on FoW large bases? I love the combined arms look of the shermans, I might steal the idea when I get around to doing my :derp: WAFFEN-SS :derp:

Yes, just standard FOW large bases. I was going to snow cover them to match a photo I have of Kiwis in Italy in December 1943 but I like the paint job too much to cover it with snow.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
More 6mm samurai painted:

I finished some more infantry,and attempted my first cavalry. I was happily surprised that painting horses in 6mm is actually a piece of cake and fun compared to painting them in 15mm or 28mm. The bases are unpainted, but I'll get to that later.

Generals riding alongside infantry for the 4 bd option in DBA. For other games I'll just use them as normal samurai.

Generals with cavalry for the 3 cav general option in DBA. I ordered extra banners to be able to just chuck in a lot of them with my generals, as samurai generals would usually have one or two personal banners carried with them.

Some cavalry. I mixed them with infantry as samurai cavalry weren't really "pure" cavalry regiments as in much of western warfare, but rather mounted samurai with a throng of foot retainers running along to protect their mounted superiors.

More cavalry

A view of the green samurai army

A complete tally of the current army size.

Next up I'm thinking of adding ashigaru bowmen and ashigaru infantry. Also a second camp, I guess. I'll round out two DBA armies, and then I'll be at a point where I have to decide whether to get more 6mm stuff or just be content with this experiment.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I read the Trafalgar rules on the plane. It seems fun.

I think I'm already going to have some house rules though. Like, I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to transfer crew to an abandoned/captured ENEMY ship and start using it right away.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My plans for today were canceled, so I think I'll base more colonials.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I read the Trafalgar rules on the plane. It seems fun.

I think I'm already going to have some house rules though. Like, I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to transfer crew to an abandoned/captured ENEMY ship and start using it right away.

Honestly, I've never been in a situation where transfering crew comes into play at all. There are far more important parts to houserule IMHO, like collision rules, brace for impact, and firing arcs.

FoW veterans: Do you have any tips on where to take a basic German Grenadierkompanie from Festung Europa now that I have painted up a bazillion infantry and some NCO's with panzerfausts? I'm starting to look at vehicles and artillery and have no idea what to buy, and the lists I find at the official forums are mostly more mechanized than the Grenadierkompanie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A battery of 105's is my next planned purchase, and you probably won't go wrong with them either. Have you got a Machinegun platoon yet? A definite must-have I think. 140 points buys you four ROF 6 24" range teams to divide out into Kampfgruhave so you have a solid base of fire when launching assaults. There's also the bonus NCO team which you can give Panzerknacker mines to for 5 points and send up with your tank-assault unit.

Mortar platoon? I've never used them myself but they have AT3 for the 12cm variety and hit top armour which is rarely more than 1 for anything short of a Tiger. A 1/3 chance of doing some harm to a tank that can't see you is nothing to sneer at.

StuG III's are cheap and reliable assault guns, although they cost the same as Panzer IV's which are identical except for an extra co-ax MG and the pros and cons of a turret. Historically most Grenadier Divisions seem to have had a Battalion attached to them, so they're a good choice for support.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Sorry to interrupt the FoW chat but here's a few more updated shots of the Matilda. Now with extra highlights and a touch of weathering.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Never appologise for that tank. Never.

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
Looking pretty spiffy I must say, and it's really nice to see something like the Matilda instead of the ubiquitous Panther or Tiger

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Every time I see that tank it keeps getting better :flashfap:

Edit: How did you do the chipping? It looks really ace.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

No Pun Intended posted:

Every time I see that tank it keeps getting better :flashfap:

Edit: How did you do the chipping? It looks really ace.

Thanks for the nice replies all.

What I do for the chipping is paint on a patch of the next shade up from whatever the base colour is along an edge or high wear area so its fairly bright. Then I fill inside with black leaving a thin outline of the bright colour. I then put a thin line of dark grey along the edge of the tank inside the black.

Works for most things but is best on edges or really high wear areas.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Malus posted:

Looking pretty spiffy I must say, and it's really nice to see something like the Matilda instead of the ubiquitous Panther or Tiger

Oh God here's my first ever 1:35 scale model.

Not exactly inspired but drat it Tigers are SEXY tanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'd like to see those on the battlefield. You'd probably need a giant table, though.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

I'd like to see those on the battlefield. You'd probably need a giant table, though.

You have absolutely no idea how often that thought crops up.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

big_g posted:

Sorry to interrupt the FoW chat but here's a loving awesome tank

That's an awesome tank you got there.

I'm finally calling my 54mm project done. I got this for Christmas last year, and it has been mocking me from the shelf since then as I slowly painted details here and there. But lately I just decided to forget going for perfection and just get it over with:

Lord Commissar posted:

If it wasn't for them being 25 euro each, imagine the skirmish game of 54mm pegaso miniatures...

...should be viable for a gladiator duel game though!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You should put him with a real bonsai tree.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So last night my GF realized that there is actually an upside to my "nerdy hobby thing": even my modest freehand skills make me better at painting complicated nail polish designs than those hacks at the local nail studio. So I took a break in painting the samurai to do a couple of different versions on her nails, mixing acrylics with varnish and actual nail polish. A nice evening of appreciation for a hobby what is normally considered more of a nuisance.

Now, today when I got home, guess what I found unceremoniously dumped in the sink, clogged with old nail polish and stabbed in the worst of two possible ways in a dirty glass of paint water? My two W&N Series 7 brushes.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

ninja edit: I silently forgive her and remind myself to hide them somewhere she'll never ever consider to look. Like the dreaded shelf of rulebooks and Osprey books.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd be kind of surprised if those brushes don't bounce back to being good as new.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Demand she give you head for her error.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

So last night my GF realized that there is actually an upside to my "nerdy hobby thing": even my modest freehand skills make me better at painting complicated nail polish designs than those hacks at the local nail studio. So I took a break in painting the samurai to do a couple of different versions on her nails, mixing acrylics with varnish and actual nail polish. A nice evening of appreciation for a hobby what is normally considered more of a nuisance.

Historicals: even my modest freehand skills make me better at painting complicated nail polish designs than those hacks at the local nail studio

Edit: Buy some transfers. Tell her that you'd love her more if she had early '44 Eastern front unit recognition markings on her nails.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd be kind of surprised if those brushes don't bounce back to being good as new.

I was lucky to have turpentine under the sink from doing weathering on my T-34, so I got rid of the nail polish after some scrubbing. The hockey-stick shaped brushes bounced back pretty well too. They don't seem as sharp tipped anymore though. Sabel hair kicks rear end as a nylon brush would have been just dead. So buy good brushes folks, it'll pay back handsomely when children and significant others treat them like cheap water colour brushes from kindergarten.

Next up, Canvas Eagle Fever is gripping the club: groups of 1/144 WW1 biplanes are being assembled and painted for dogfights. I'm thinking of picking up a bomber and a fighter or two at Skytrex, they look cheap and lovely. Anyone have a favourite WW1 plane? I used to play the Red Baron PC game as a kid, but I don't remember any favourites at all. I might do some French as they are the odd man out at the moment, and the Nieuport planes are pretty cute.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Historicals: even my modest freehand skills make me better at painting complicated nail polish designs than those hacks at the local nail studio

Edit: Buy some transfers. Tell her that you'd love her more if she had early '44 Eastern front unit recognition markings on her nails.

The German 352. Infanteriedivision had a leaping unicorn on their insignia, hardly difficult to sneak under the radar.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 10, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Next up, Canvas Eagle Fever is gripping the club: groups of 1/144 WW1 biplanes are being assembled and painted for dogfights. I'm thinking of picking up a bomber and a fighter or two at Skytrex, they look cheap and lovely. Anyone have a favourite WW1 plane? I used to play the Red Baron PC game as a kid, but I don't remember any favourites at all. I might do some French as they are the odd man out at the moment, and the Nieuport planes are pretty cute.

Sopwith Camel. Biggles all the way!

Also, if you get into this sort of thing, do not watch the film Flyboys. It might have Jean Reno, and promise awesome WW1 action but it is painfully bad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sopwith Camels are awesome because they are fighter planes named after camels.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

The S.E 5A :colbert:. How much are skytrex planes and where would one get them from?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For WWI plane films watch The Blue Max. I'm slightly biased by my dad's stories of being onset (he was stationed at the military airfield it was filmed at) but it's got some genuine badass flying in it.

big_g posted:

You have absolutely no idea how often that thought crops up.
1/35 is *roughly* 28mil. It'd work well enough at platoon - company level on an 8X4 table.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

The S.E 5A :colbert:. How much are skytrex planes and where would one get them from?

http://www.skytrex.com/

They have a special shipping offer during May, so I'm planning on getting some planes and some additions to my FoW Germans. Most planes are £4. We already have one each of SE5a, Sopwith Camel, Albatross DIII and Fokker DVII, so I guess most of the iconic planes are already spoken for.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Thanks - That zeppelin is crazy expensive though (but oh so awesome). If y'all want I got a bunch of pics of amazing WWI re-production aircraft from a recent airshow over here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think I'll buy that magnet sheeting this week. And a couple cookie sheets.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Finally finished my M1917 water-cooled machine gun platoon for Flames of War. Well, except the bazookas, which I don't have yet. Backlog -1 !

Next up is a platoon of combat engineers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
HMG platoons are incredibly satisfying to paint for FoW. I think it's because it's just five bases, and there's enough variety in pose to keep you interested while they're simple enough to batch-paint still.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Devlan Mud posted:

Finally finished my M1917 water-cooled machine gun platoon for Flames of War. Well, except the bazookas, which I don't have yet. Backlog -1 !

Next up is a platoon of combat engineers.

Nice.

One of these days, I'll actually do more work on my Sovs.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Nice.

One of these days, I'll actually do more work on my Sovs.

After I burned myself out on painting a full SMG company, "one of these days" turned out to be a year later. :smith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

In our gaming group it's obligatory to make a BANG or POW or other gun sound when you are required to kill a team with the komissar.

Best house rule.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On thinking about it, every time I mix up a batch of Feldgrau for my Germans I end up getting five bases fully done and leaving the other two sort of half-finished. I have no idea why this keeps happening. I probably should start taking two squad platoons or something.....

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

On thinking about it, every time I mix up a batch of Feldgrau for my Germans I end up getting five bases fully done and leaving the other two sort of half-finished. I have no idea why this keeps happening. I probably should start taking two squad platoons or something.....

Man as long as your poo poo is painted mad props. Our soviet player only has like 1/6 of his army painted, but he's got some leeway since he's a kid. Still though, painted armies are the best. Paint more!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Devlan Mud posted:

In our gaming group it's obligatory to make a BANG or POW or other gun sound when you are required to kill a team with the komissar.

Best house rule.

I used to do this in 40k, too.

"Ok, rolling leadership. Failed *BAM* Commissar kill the officer...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Devlan Mud posted:

Best house rule.

Plane noises are absolutely required when rolling for air support.