Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
The scarcity of upgrade canisters was better in DX1.

In IW you'd be maxed out and have a bucket of the things hanging around serving no purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Jetsetlemming posted:

Anyone know of a console command to remove augs? I wanna replace radar transparency with cloak and while it's easy enough to add an aug, I can't do so without emptying the slot first. Neither augadd aug* nor allaugs can replace and existing aug as far as I can tell. Shifter lets you install an aug over an existing one, IW style, but I'm not running that and don't know what complications might pop up introducing it in the middle of a TNM game.

Doesn't TNM let you replace augs as well? Or does it just let you use canisters to upgrade already-installed augs?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Why is it that every single time I feel myself getting absorbed with DX:IW, it crashes? It's like the game wants me to hate it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Might be a placebo but it doesn't crash at all when I force it to use processor 1 instead of 0.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
It's a small thing, but because of advancements in nanotechnology you can stack all of your snackfoods in the same inventory slot in IW. No longer will your soy and orange drink and candy bars take up three valuable inventory slots - now you can use one slot for all three items! JC Tenton would approve of IW for this reason alone.

So there you go. Snackfood nanotechnology.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
You know, I'd actually like the option of auto-entry of passcodes and such, mostly on repeat playthroughs. I love that you type passwords in--it's very real--but having to sort of test-prep before certain keypads is sort of silly, like the one on the very first level, patrolled by bot.

Even an off-center mini-screen (that appears while the keypad gui is up) that displays the passcodes in roledex fashion--or just the particular passcode you need--for you type still type out manually, would be an improvement.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 19, 2011

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Male Man posted:

Doesn't TNM let you replace augs as well? Or does it just let you use canisters to upgrade already-installed augs?
Nope. It does the upgrade thing (which is how I ended up with ballistic protection and radar transparency maxed out), but it can't replace. :(

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

DVD Drive posted:

ctrl+c and ctrl+v work.

holy poo poo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Amethyst posted:

holy poo poo

Yeah, I found that out by just trying, but it's fantastically useful.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

Warezd Quake
Jan 18, 2008
-

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Throwing coffee pots into Billies face never gets old. Shut up, we know you hate authority. Have some drat COFFEE.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DVD Drive posted:

It also works between saved games, which allows for some cheesing. If you just wanted to breeze through the game for some fun you could keep a saved game at the end of the game with a full set of notes, copy it, then paste it into your notes after starting a new game. Or simply copy/paste a bank code that you had to use some resources to get to, for example.

And I thought I was hot poo poo by buying codes from the rear end in a top hat people in the game then reloading and using them so I could laugh in their faces. :c00lbutt:

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Velius posted:

A tactical approach. I like that.

The crossbow works well, my issue with it is that it frequently leads to dudes setting off alarms before they pass out. And if you use lethal darts I don't see how the stealth pistol isn't significantly better, what with the ubiquitous ammo and larger capacity.

The stealth pistol does less damage per shot, and I've found the rate of fire tends to make me spam it to make up for said lack of damage, leading to ammo shortages in spite of 10mm's prevalence compared to darts. Hell, I can't even seem to down someone with a headshot with it. Considering it's a fight between the mediocre stealth pistol and the slow-firing but deadly mini-crossbow for one-slot stealth weapons, and the mini-crossbow actually kills things you shoot in the head, I'll take a pimped-out crossbow over an equally-pimped stealth pistol any day.

Besides, the mini-crossbow just screams 'JC Denton has balls of steel' later in the game, when you're taking on MIBs and Commandos on a regular basis. I mean poo poo, you're taking on the most advanced troops of the 2050s with a weapon that was invented in the 5th century BC.

Gaph
May 15, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, I found that out by just trying, but it's fantastically useful.

Alt+Key also works for navigating any UI, just look for the highlighted letters. It's a much faster way of using the security interface than clicking around (arrow keys can move the camera too). Or it's just cooler, like punching in a code on the numpad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So what happenes to Lebedev if you spare him and waste Anna? does he accept his fate for being another tally mark for Gunther after he tells you whats really going on?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

So what happenes to Lebedev if you spare him and waste Anna? does he accept his fate for being another tally mark for Gunther after he tells you whats really going on?

Basically. After saying his piece he enters UNATCO's holding cells and disappears, just like the other NSF prisoners.

Seeing how Simons ended the interrogation of a few redshirts, you can imagine the treatment he got. :smith:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Fun fact: The minicrossbow does as much damage as the sniper rifle, you can also open the same doors the sniper rifle can open, but you can't kill turrets/cameras/alarm panels.

Also if you are doing a lowtech run, put your range mods on your X-bow.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
The crossbow loving owns for distracting people. If somebody's patrolling in a way that makes it really hard to get behind them and knock them out, fire a dart at a wall next to them and they'll stop and stare at it for a good 5 seconds.

Tombdust
Aug 18, 2009

Known to attract ravenous hordes of undead dust mites
After a dozen playthroughs I finally found something new today, a hidden area in the airport hangar access building (with the cafetaria). Look for a usable brick near the dart board.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

DVD Drive posted:

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

I'm talking about how if you've already discovered a passcode, you don't have to manually enter it into the keypad. It's a minor thing, but it really streamlines things because you don't have to sift through your notes to find the one you need.
I agree, this would be better.

Does anyone else edit their notes so it's just one note per area with all the info condensed? Saved me a lot of time when I figured out that ctrl+c and ctrl+v work. Here's what mine generally ends up looking like;

The PS2 version had automatic code entry, and it was good enough for me at the time. Still, a better compromise would be to store username/password in a separate, more organized menu, and also let you look at it while on the entry screen. I always end up deleting every note that doesn't have a password so that I don't have to look through them all.

Can someone tell me exactly what the range mod does? I don't think I've ever had a target outside of a gun's range (except the mini-x-bow), does it affect damage at long range or something? Also, could you always take darts out of a body or is that unique to Shifter?

And speaking of secret bricks, what does the one in Gunther's cell in the first area do?

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009

Positronic Spleen posted:

And speaking of secret bricks, what does the one in Gunther's cell in the first area do?

Let's you escape from the inside. Gunther has the habit of locking you inside the cell if you go in to talk rather than drawing him out.

First time I saved Gunther I had to find that out, never again!

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Can someone tell me exactly what the range mod does? I don't think I've ever had a target outside of a gun's range (except the mini-x-bow), does it affect damage at long range or something?

Guns have a max range, and a max accurate range. Max range is how far away you can hit things from, and I'm pretty sure max accurate range is how far away you can be before your accuracy starts to suffer. Range mods increase max accurate range, which should effectively increase your engagement range by making you more accurate from further away, without actually making your weapon longer ranged.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Can someone tell me exactly what the range mod does? I don't think I've ever had a target outside of a gun's range (except the mini-x-bow), does it affect damage at long range or something? Also, could you always take darts out of a body or is that unique to Shifter?

Its completely useless on any weapon that is not the mini-Xbow. There are a few parts especially in the end game where if you only have a minicrossbow with no range mods you can't hit someone in a long hallway. What the Max Accuracy range is where the target reticule will start to get smaller, instead of just saying a cross. Nothing in the game is ever out of range of the sniper rifle, and the pistol/Assault Rifle has such long range that anything that is out of its max range is pretty far away anyway. The Xbow is the only one where you can see a difference, though I seem to recall one particular part where putting a range mod on the gep gun allowed me to take out a bot from extreme range. Maybe Vandenberg, or the Naval Base, don't remember which.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I seem to remember it worked wonders on the flamethrower. I'll have to check it out though.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

This begs the question: why the gently caress didn't Gunther just escape the cell on his own and batter anyone who blocked his path silly?

DVD Drive posted:

I know the stat it increases is "Accuracy Range" or something to that effect. There is a separate stat for "Max Range." How exactly the Accuracy Range works I don't know.

:doh: I always wondered why pressing those letters didn't bring up the associated UI. I didn't know you had to press Alt.
Whenever I reinstall DX, my first step is to redefine the keys so that pressing an underlined letter brings up the relevant window.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zero Star posted:

This begs the question: why the gently caress didn't Gunther just escape the cell on his own and batter anyone who blocked his path silly?

he's not very smart

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

he's not very smart
Yeah but surely robotic retard strength counts for something, right?

right?

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
One of the most impressive parts of the nokills playthrough youtube was on the first level, heading up to meet the NSF leader. There are those 2 guards that have a little conversation as you are ascending the stairs, and every time I got to that point I would either run past them to the ladder, alerting them in the process, or throwing a smoke grenade at them. Until that vid, I had no idea you could just keep moving forward, crouched, and hug the walls till you get to the ladder.

I'm not a clever man.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Le Sean posted:

One of the most impressive parts of the nokills playthrough youtube was on the first level, heading up to meet the NSF leader. There are those 2 guards that have a little conversation as you are ascending the stairs, and every time I got to that point I would either run past them to the ladder, alerting them in the process, or throwing a smoke grenade at them. Until that vid, I had no idea you could just keep moving forward, crouched, and hug the walls till you get to the ladder.

I'm not a clever man.
Depends how fast you go, I think. If you wait until Alex is done talking, the guards will turn to face each other, which makes one of them look right at the staircase you come up from. Go quickly while Alex is still speaking and they won't turn towards you.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Positronic Spleen posted posted:

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Let's you escape from the inside. Gunther has the habit of locking you inside the cell if you go in to talk rather than drawing him out.

First time I saved Gunther I had to find that out, never again!

When I found the brick on my first playthrough, I thought, "what sloppy level design, they should have used a less obvious way to prevent the player from getting trapped." However, after completing the story, the brick takes on a new meaning...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of that door, is Deus Ex the only game that models being able to have a door be open and locked at the same time

GOTY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Amethyst posted:

holy poo poo

10 years later and we're still learning things about this game. What a shame.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tom Hall, who voiced in both games had a stroke just last month jesus :(. He is out of rehab now and hopefully it wasn't that bad.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
WALTON SIMONS
Behind the eyes. A sharp burning. Almost electrical.

get well soon Walton

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 19, 2011

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SeanBeansShako posted:

JC Denton is framed for several murders in the media (when in Hong Kong/Paris) whether you the player actually committed them or not; Manderley and Lebedev are among the listed victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Where's the drat collapsed road in the canal tunnels where these nanotech augs supposedly are. I go down to the Canal tunnel, but it only takes me to the back entrance for Versalife.

Also, when I went back to Maggie Chow's place to grab the Dragon's Tooth after she sent me to the police station, she wasn't there. But you guys are saying you kill her before that? Or after? Or what. How many different ways can you approach the Maggie Chow plot, and what are the effects? I have no idea what I'm doing in Hong Kong.