Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SWATJester posted:

Hate you.

It's true, WCL sucks.

Hahaha I felt slightly bad about that. My only experience with American is that while I was working at a firm between college and law school, one of the people I was working with was going to American at night. He applied to the firm we were working at, and even though he was already working there (in a non-lawyer capacity) they still just trashed his resume without even a rejection letter, and this was in either 2007 or 2008 (before the economy blew up).

He then quit to study for the bar without a job offer from anywhere and I'm sure that didn't turn out well for him :smith:

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've been working full time for six years almost, so I'm basically trying to get a better job (journalism). Not totally grasping at straws yet! I was always moderately interested in law, and figured I'd give it a try.

Rutgers is significantly worse than American (#48) in the rankings, so see the above story.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

evilweasel posted:

Rutgers is significantly worse than American (#48) in the rankings, so see the above story.

:(

Thanks again guys for the honest input

good luck covering your debts, I guess?? :smith:

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

:(

Thanks again guys for the honest input

good luck covering your debts, I guess?? :smith:

Rutgers offered me like 20k to attend. I never applied.

Rutgers is up there with Tulsa Law and Phoenix Law. Run, and never look back.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hey, sorry I'm bumping from like two pages ago but a couple people responded and I never got back

Thanks for this post, it was really informative and terribly depressing. :(

And yes guys, I am certainly not 100% deadset on lawschool. My good friend has basically been trying to talk me out of it since day 1, but said at the very least if I really wanna give it a try I should take the LSATs, apply and reassess when I get responses (basically where I am now)

I've been working full time for six years almost, so I'm basically trying to get a better job (journalism). Not totally grasping at straws yet! I was always moderately interested in law, and figured I'd give it a try. I just don't have much of an interest in grad school and that's really the only other option besides law for a stupid poo poo English degree.

So yeah, unless I get some kind of crazy offer from Rutgers, I'm probably not going.

The only other question I ask is how much does the date that you send your app affect the scholarship offers you receive?? I got a 160 on the lsat. My gpa is a 2.8, but it's low only because I basically pissed away a year and a half of undergrad and dropped out. I was something like a 3.3 when I re-entered, and I worked full time for four years in college with lots of community service poo poo too. Provided that I don't get any $ this year, is it worth applying very early next year to see if I get a ride, or not worth the time??

Dude, how many times have you taken the LSAT, and when in the cycle did you apply? There are definitely schools who will take you with those numbers and interesting softs if you apply early enough. Can you somehow insinuate you are gay or a minority?

Also, don't go, last thing we need is more lawyers

Defleshed posted:

So basically your only reasons for going to law school are "to get a better job" and "my undergrad is poo poo".

Hahaha, you basically ARE me. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should not go to law school.

:hfive:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

quote:

Defleshed posted:

So basically your only reasons for going to law school are "to get a better job" and "my undergrad is poo poo".

Hahaha, you basically ARE me. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should not go to law school.

:negative::hf::negative:

Going to law school was literally the worst decision I've ever made in my life. And that includes the time when I was a kid and I was working on a model with an exacto knife and my dad said "be careful with that, it's sharp" and I decided to slice my finger with it to see if he was telling the truth.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 10, 2010

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

7StoryFall posted:

Anyone know someone looking to sublet in NYC from June 1 to early August?

Yes, but I think its a studio in Harlem.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

evilweasel posted:

Hahaha I felt slightly bad about that. My only experience with American is that while I was working at a firm between college and law school, one of the people I was working with was going to American at night. He applied to the firm we were working at, and even though he was already working there (in a non-lawyer capacity) they still just trashed his resume without even a rejection letter, and this was in either 2007 or 2008 (before the economy blew up).

He then quit to study for the bar without a job offer from anywhere and I'm sure that didn't turn out well for him :smith:

We definitely get those types at American. Funny thing is, I think we're actually starting to slip in the whole "international law/human rights law" prestige area lately, because of the economy tearing up those jobs, meaning we have less alumni to network with/praise to prospective students.

On the other hand, we have a great IP department.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Incredulous Red posted:

Dude, how many times have you taken the LSAT, and when in the cycle did you apply? There are definitely schools who will take you with those numbers and interesting softs if you apply early enough. Can you somehow insinuate you are gay or a minority?

Also, don't go, last thing we need is more lawyers

Seconding. I had similar numbers (sub 3.0 GPA and low-mid 160's LSAT) and I got in to AU. It's totally possible. You have to have a LOT of soft factors in your favor, and even then it's a matter of luck, but it's not impossible. I also got into several other similarly ranked schools (Cardozo, UF, Colorado-Boulder) so I really doubt it was a fluke.

On the other hand, that was 3 years ago, things may have changed.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

SWATJester posted:

Seconding. I had similar numbers (sub 3.0 GPA and low-mid 160's LSAT) and I got in to AU. It's totally possible. You have to have a LOT of soft factors in your favor, and even then it's a matter of luck, but it's not impossible. I also got into several other similarly ranked schools (Cardozo, UF, Colorado-Boulder) so I really doubt it was a fluke.

Seriously, though, I had a sub-3.0 gpa in a science major, plus a median-high LSAT, plus some fun soft factors. You know what that translates to? SCHOLARSHIP MONEY

Hell yeah minority ancestors. Hell yeah.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Incredulous Red posted:

Seriously, though, I had a sub-3.0 gpa in a science major, plus a median-high LSAT, plus some fun soft factors. You know what that translates to? SCHOLARSHIP MONEY

Hell yeah minority ancestors. Hell yeah.

My grandpa spoke english as a second language and I grew up on an Indian reservation. Unfortunately I'm still white.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

My grandpa spoke english as a second language and I grew up on an Indian reservation. Unfortunately I'm still white.

shoulda registered for head rights motherfucka

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Seriously the white man took your guys' land, least you can do is affirmative action his rear end out of higher education vato

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

Seriously the white man took your guys' land, least you can do is affirmative action his rear end out of higher education vato

Apparently I'm just a really tan white dude. Now if only I actually got some of that white privilege and didn't get 'randomly' searched at every airport it might be a fair trade...

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

While reading con law I was suddenly struck by this thought:

The law is really this big bubble. The bubble is kept inflated and insulated by the outside world by arcane rituals known as "procedure" and a bizarre, self-actualizing force known as "stare decisis"- kind of like vacuum energy in the big bang. The Supreme court is kind of like the wall of the bubble, sometimes expanding, really just serving as a functional barrier between the outside and the artificial world within. But imagine a world where all processes within the bubble stopped, there would be only chaos and freedom and OH GOD KILL ME

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Incredulous Red posted:

The law is really this big bubble. The bubble is kept inflated and insulated by the outside world by arcane rituals known as "procedure" and a bizarre, self-actualizing force known as "stare decisis"- kind of like vacuum energy in the big bang. The Supreme court is kind of like the wall of the bubble, sometimes expanding, really just serving as a functional barrier between the outside and the artificial world within. But imagine a world where all processes within the bubble stopped, there would be only chaos and freedom and OH GOD KILL ME

thinklikealawyer.txt

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I answered a policy question in my ADR final with an answer of how civil procedure precluded his question.

But gently caress what he wanted, my answer was right. :colbert:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

SWATJester posted:

I took the LSAT twice. The first time I was sick as poo poo and went anyway (143 :barf:)... kind of a bad idea. I've always been a good test taker so I was really hoping for 165 or so, but 160 ain't bad. But yeah, my main reason for reconsidering is the money. Without a ride, I'd be screwed if I was unemployed for a year.

Just running it through one of those debt calculators is loving scary

That sucks. Did you try contesting it??

In undergrad, I used to always get screwed on income because my parents were just above the need based for aid. I've got at least three ghettos (including good ol Newark) right next door, but my mostly white city screws me.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That sucks. Did you try contesting it??

In undergrad, I used to always get screwed on income because my parents were just above the need based for aid. I've got at least three ghettos (including good ol Newark) right next door, but my mostly white city screws me.

he was talking about getting a scholarship at admission, not financial aid

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Gregor Samsa posted:

Yes, but I think its a studio in Harlem.

Yeah, this white boy would get killed, most likely.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

*puts on sunglasses*
*rage against the machine starts playing*
*flies away*

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

Yeah. Although nm says it's even higher now. I dunno about that. It's still a bunch of money for a pretty damned fun job. I am 3-0 in my last three trials. :smug:
My source for $88k was you. Maybe it is $83k and I misheard.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

I answered a policy question in my ADR final with an answer of how civil procedure precluded his question.

But gently caress what he wanted, my answer was right. :colbert:

there was a class action question on my civpro ii final today, and the question started out by saying something like "jane is not sure how to dismiss her case and bring it again in federal court as a class action and she comes to you for advice," so for the adequacy of representation requirement under frcp 23(a)(4) i put "her competence as a lawyer comes into question when the first person she asks about how to voluntarily dismiss a civil action is a first year law student in the middle of finals"

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

!!!!

I just found a Taco Restaurant that will deliver what sounds like real Tacos AND rockstar energy drinks to my door.

I am so going to be undergoing gastronomic distress during property tomorrow morning.

e: it's called "The Taco Shop"

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 11, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

!!!!

I just found a Taco Restaurant that will deliver what sounds like real Tacos AND rockstar energy drinks to my door.

I am so going to be undergoing gastronomic distress during property tomorrow morning.

No cheese on tacos in madison?
Wow, hell has frozen over.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yeah, good point.

If any Canadians are interested in the Toronto numbers this year, these guys keep an accurate tally. Last years were miserable as well, but unfortunately there's no data for earlier articling numbers.

Fucccccccck. So how the hell are we supposed to get articles, let alone a job if we didn't get the 2nd year OCI? This is bullshit.

Not keen enough to be a gunner, not stupid enough to be kept out of law school... *sigh*

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

My source for $88k was you. Maybe it is $83k and I misheard.

It's still a buttload of money for a very rewarding job. I might have said $88k. I know it's one of the two. Don't care enough to find out which one it is.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

!!!!

I had Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner last night and an exam at 8:30 this morning.

Tactical error.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

I had Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner last night and an exam at 8:30 this morning.

Tactical error.

I remember one time in college I literally skipped a morning class because I had buffalo wings the night before. I was all packed and on my way out the door when there was an urgent grumbling and I said to myself "this is going to take a while"

i turned out to be right

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

Tactical error.

Making disturbing noises and releasing noxious odors is a time tested strategy to freak the gently caress out of those around you and lower the curve.

Bonus points for beginning to sweat/pant followed by mumbled prayers/panting.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Making disturbing noises and releasing noxious odors is a time tested strategy to freak the gently caress out of those around you and lower the curve.

Bonus points for beginning to sweat/pant followed by mumbled prayers/panting.

The problem is that once you pop the cork, you gotta keep draining the bottle. loving capsaicin in your pipes is a terrible thing, but it does give you that nervous edge that pushes you to finish early, all the while unnerving those around you.

Alright, enough of this: Best Battletech mercenary unit. Go.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

The problem is that once you pop the cork, you gotta keep draining the bottle. loving capsaicin in your pipes is a terrible thing, but it does give you that nervous edge that pushes you to finish early, all the while unnerving those around you.

Alright, enough of this: Best Battletech mercenary unit. Go.

I don't play with little imaginary robots

e: unless dreadnaughts count

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 11, 2010

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

I don't play with little imaginary robots

e: unless dreadnaughts count

no only little imaginary rules

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
This thread has pretty much become a running joke for me and some dudes in my class, like once a week or something someone says "did you read that law school thread on SA, did you hear there's a dude applying to starbucks now, hyuk hyuk hyuk" and it made me realize that when people I know talk about "thinking like a lawyer" they really mean surgically removing all traces of empathy and just replacing it with glee and schadenfreude.

Well, that's when we aren't talking about our favorite pokemons.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Incredulous Red posted:

:lost:

nm posted:

Some wise Wisconsin grad found their true calling.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

:lost:
SC Clerks are Candidates, the President is Jacob, the nomination process is the Island, the MiB are opposing party senators.

No, no, no...

Opposing counsels are Candidates, the act of granting certiorari is Jacob, the Supreme Court is the Island, the MiB is Scalia dissenting opinion.

No, no, no...

Personal judicial philosophies are Candidates, career politicians are Jacob, judicial review is the Island, the MiB is the non-legally educated populous.

No, no, no...

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

Is La bamba still around? I was fond of their burritos the size of my head.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
I'm leaving my firm this summer to teach full-time (hooray!) and I'm not sure how much notice I should give. This is my third firm and I've been here almost a year. The first one I didn't like them and gave exactly 2 weeks' notice because I felt that was the minimum professional requirement. I got laid off from my second firm so giving notice wasn't an issue.

Basically, I know my current firm will need to replace me, and it's likely to be with a new grad who might need some training. I was thinking of giving a month's notice, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to leave them high and dry, but I don't want to give too much notice in the event they are not happy with me leaving and ask me to go immediately (I don't anticipate that happening but you never know).

Any suggestions?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
stop going and see how long it takes for them to stop paying you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you know when you need to start preparing for your teaching job (or when you want to start preparing) then give notice now. As long as it's at least two weeks, notice is professionally given, but the longer the better.

Edit: Or mention it off-handedly at a cocktail party that you're leaving in two months, then don't mention it again. See if they remember to stop paying you.