Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Traxxus posted:

chives

That's normal for chives, particularly in their first year; you'll see a lot of dieback as the weather gets hot, but it will spring back when things start to cool again. In the meantime just do your best to keep it well watered, and make sure to remove any flower stalks that appear to encourage more growth in the bulblets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Papercut posted:

Is there anything edible I can plant in shadier parts of my yard? Like under a lemon tree?

Lettuce, brassicas, any cool weather crop. A lot of herbs are shade tolerant too
Ive had strawberries in partial shade and they did surprisingly well

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Blackberry bushes (get thornless ones they are much easier) are supposed to be fairly shade tolerant, but you'd need a fair amount of space to get decent yeilds.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Papercut posted:

Is there anything edible I can plant in shadier parts of my yard? Like under a lemon tree?

Where do you live that you can grow a lemon tree in the ground? Not too much fruit grows in shade... Asparagus or rhubarb would do pretty good. Strawberries can do okay in shade, but they produce better in the sun. You could also look into wintergreen, a.k.a. teaberry. Check the zones on that one; with a name like wintergreen in a zone with in-ground lemon trees, you might be poo poo outta luck.

If you're brave, you could plant something noxiously invasive like mint. That poo poo grows anywhere. On second thought, don't do it.

edit: if you're somewhere warm enough for citrus, maybe you could grow taro?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 11, 2010

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Papercut posted:

You have two things working against you in your quest to grow things under a lemon tree. You already mentioned the shade. But just as hard to deal w with are all the roots, some of which will be close to the surface, and they will resist all efforts to adequately cultivate the area if you put the stuff in soil. You could get around this by planting stuff in pots. If you are living in an area where a lemon tree is a possibility, you could probably successfully grow stuff in shade that those of us in the north need full sun for, but then again, it may be time consuming to keep a lot of pots moist enough in such an environment.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Thanks for all the advice. I live in one of the foggier parts of San Francisco, so I'm actually surprised the lemon tree is doing as well as it is. I've seen alpine strawberries in my neighborhood growing under deep shade, so I may try that. Potted plants actually aren't out of the question, too, because we've got a drip irrigation system set up throughout that would be easy to extend to them.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone happen to have experience with Doyle's thornless blackberries? I'm making a new garden by the house for the tomatoes (meant to get it done this year but it's going to be next) and it's going to free up a ton of room in my back garden for other stuff. I prefer things that continue to produce over years that I don't have to keep pouring money into (outside of watering and fertilizing).

I'm just having problems finding any kind of verification on their claims of "gallons" of fruit per plant and don't want to have to wait several years before finding out if these are going to work like I wanted.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Anubis posted:

Does anyone happen to have experience with Doyle's thornless blackberries? I'm making a new garden by the house for the tomatoes (meant to get it done this year but it's going to be next) and it's going to free up a ton of room in my back garden for other stuff. I prefer things that continue to produce over years that I don't have to keep pouring money into (outside of watering and fertilizing).

I'm just having problems finding any kind of verification on their claims of "gallons" of fruit per plant and don't want to have to wait several years before finding out if these are going to work like I wanted.

Don’t you love seed catalogues? Everything is sweet, tender, early, amazingly productive, a breeding miracle. They’re fun to read until you actually have to pick something.

I have zero experience with Doyle’s thornless blackberry, but if you compare blackberries with blueberries, raspberries, black raspberries, any small fruit, blackberries will out yield pretty much everything 2 to 1 at least. But depending on how much room you have, if it was me I would put in a bunch of different stuff in addition to the blackberries, maybe a dwarf cherry tree, a few summer bearing raspberries, fall bearing ones, asparagus, a grape vine.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Don’t you love seed catalogues? Everything is sweet, tender, early, amazingly productive, a breeding miracle. They’re fun to read until you actually have to pick something.

I have zero experience with Doyle’s thornless blackberry, but if you compare blackberries with blueberries, raspberries, black raspberries, any small fruit, blackberries will out yield pretty much everything 2 to 1 at least. But depending on how much room you have, if it was me I would put in a bunch of different stuff in addition to the blackberries, maybe a dwarf cherry tree, a few summer bearing raspberries, fall bearing ones, asparagus, a grape vine.

A cherry tree doesn't interest me a whole lot and I already have two semi-dwarf apple trees that I put in last fall. They look like they will be able to produce decently for me, but I don't really need to start a personal orchard. I'm already planning grape vines for next year and am doing my research on varieties that will work well in my area. Not including the new garden, I have about 20'x20' to take up and if I get my hands on a power tiller I may extend that another 10-15' on one side.

The problem I'm having is that typical blackberry bushes are only going to give me (at max) a couple pints of berries a year. The Doyles are claiming 1-10 gallons of berries a plant, which obviously sends my BS detector off, hence me looking for people with experience with them.

For the record, here is what appears to be a fairly impartial assessment of them. It was the best I could find: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/NAFEX/message-archives/old/msg04064.html

Anubis fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 11, 2010

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're doing good if your bullshit detector goes off reading fruit catalogs. First off, nearly all blackberries don't produce on this year's stalks. Stalks grow one year, overwinter, produce the next year, then that stalk dies. First year productive blackberries are a relatively new development. The only problem is that all the ones I've heard of still have thorns.

That being said, I'd check out what they had to say over at Gardenweb.com about Doyle blackberries.

Relativistic
Mar 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Papercut posted:

Coffee plants? We're growing some on our windowsill that gets filtered sunlight, but it sounds like you live in a warmer climate. The care sheet I got with them says they're commercially grown under banana trees, so the roots around the lemon tree are probably something they can deal with.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

"You're leading the innocent astray..."

hepscat posted:

Marchiegana asked me a long time ago to report on the progress of some carrots I transplanted (you're not supposed to transplant them for future reference but I didn't know that :)

Really? Hmm, I just started a tray full of seeds... will they die if I try to transplant?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The problem as I've heard with transplanting root crops is that the roots won't form properly. So instead of getting a nice, smooth taproot on the carrots you end up with roots that split into multiple tough, woody tendrils. We'll see what happens come harvest time though.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I think my tomato plants have a problem. And I think that problem is too much nitrogen, but I'm not positive. On my beefsteak plant, the bottom leaves turned yellow. I've since removed them, but now leaves that are higher up have begun to have a slightly spotty appearance with little black dots and almost an outline along the edge. I can't tell if these are just mature leaves, or if it's a sign something is wrong.

In addition to this, on all four of my tomato plants, all of the flowers have withered up and turned a dry brown. The plants that already started producing fruit don't seem to be showing any ill effects to the fruit, but they're not producing anything more. Does anyone have ideas as to what could be going on? :(

^JunkFood
Sep 6, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I think my tomato plants have a problem. And I think that problem is too much nitrogen, but I'm not positive. On my beefsteak plant, the bottom leaves turned yellow. I've since removed them, but now leaves that are higher up have begun to have a slightly spotty appearance with little black dots and almost an outline along the edge. I can't tell if these are just mature leaves, or if it's a sign something is wrong.

In addition to this, on all four of my tomato plants, all of the flowers have withered up and turned a dry brown. The plants that already started producing fruit don't seem to be showing any ill effects to the fruit, but they're not producing anything more. Does anyone have ideas as to what could be going on? :(

As far as the flowers turning brown and falling off I think that's just from lack of pollination. I'm having the same issue with my tomatoes as well.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

^JunkFood posted:

As far as the flowers turning brown and falling off I think that's just from lack of pollination. I'm having the same issue with my tomatoes as well.

I'm hoping this is the case. Someone else who lives nearby is having the same issue. I have two planters of wildflowers that should start blooming in a few weeks. The plan is to use them to attract lovely bees and things to the area and help out all of the fruits and veggies.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Sounds like Septoria Leaf Spot

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Tomato_Septoria.htm

^JunkFood
Sep 6, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I'm hoping this is the case. Someone else who lives nearby is having the same issue. I have two planters of wildflowers that should start blooming in a few weeks. The plan is to use them to attract lovely bees and things to the area and help out all of the fruits and veggies.

Hope that works for you. I live in central FL and we actually had some below freezing temps this winter and I think it's put a hurt on the local bee population as I've seen zero bees thus far. My tomatoes are doing kinda ok but my squash isn't doing much of anything. The only squash I've gotten so far I've had to hand pollinate. :(

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Hey, n00b gardener here. Right now I've got a lemon balm plant that is thriving and a tomato plant that is not-so-thriving. Some of its leaves fell off and the others have small, whitish spots on them. There's no holes in them or anything, so I don't know if it's insect-related. Is it some kind of mildew? Is there any way to treat it/further diagnose?

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008

^JunkFood posted:

Hope that works for you. I live in central FL and we actually had some below freezing temps this winter and I think it's put a hurt on the local bee population as I've seen zero bees thus far. My tomatoes are doing kinda ok but my squash isn't doing much of anything. The only squash I've gotten so far I've had to hand pollinate. :(
In Mobile,AL:
Yesterday I finally saw one bee pollinating my cukes. Today I walked out and could barely hear due to all the buzzing in my garden. Just hope they stick around for the rest of the vegetables to bloom.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

El Bano posted:

In Mobile,AL:
Yesterday I finally saw one bee pollinating my cukes. Today I walked out and could barely hear due to all the buzzing in my garden. Just hope they stick around for the rest of the vegetables to bloom.

Those are regular, not seedless cukes, right? :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Papercut posted:

Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be:

Click here for the full 1944x1296 image.

It's a tree about 10-15 feet tall that was covered in these flowers, and I think it's a California native. A passerby thought it might be some kind of lilac, but the flowers seemed smaller/finer than any lilac pictures I can find.
It doesn't look as woody as many lilacs but the blooms and leaves strongly resemble one, and the pictures are all of very new growth so you can't see if the stems aren't woody - it likely is a lilac. They come in a range from white to yellowy to purple, and often have clumps of tiny flowers instead of singular larger blooms. Do a google image search for white lilac and see how many are clusters of small blooms opposed to bigger flowers for some "proof". ;)

If you've got the plant available, chop off a bloom and smoe leaves and take it to a local nursery, they should be able to tell you within seconds, if not a couple minutes after finding someone who's not a minimum-wage slave.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Harvested a head o' cauliflower today. Have too much lettuce, giving it away. Several tomatoes on several plants, green of course. Potato box is full to the brim with flowering potato plant stalks. Cabbage plants are huge and forming heads. Broccoli huge as well, no heads forming yet. The Brussels sprouts that survived are quite large and weird looking. Carrots are tiny, but at least they germinated this year. Onions growing like gangbusters. Cucumbers starting to enter rapid growth stage. Planted okra yesterday, 4 varieties.

Found out today I'm working out of state for the rest of the summer. Deja vu. Didn't even make it past May this year.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Papercut posted:

Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be:

Click here for the full 1944x1296 image.

It's a tree about 10-15 feet tall that was covered in these flowers, and I think it's a California native. A passerby thought it might be some kind of lilac, but the flowers seemed smaller/finer than any lilac pictures I can find.

Best guess - Ceanothus 'Snow Flurry', aka the California Lilac.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Conundrum! My tomatoes are ready to be planted outside, but the outside isn't ready for the tomatoes! I started my seeds too early this year. Now my plants are getting leggy and outgrowing their 1 quart containers. Overall, they don't look happy. They haven't really been hardened off yet. Here are my options:
  • Stick them in the ground, and cover them at night with remay to protect against frost and possibly hold some of the heat in. They will be going in raised beds.
  • Harden them off in their current pots over the next two weeks until the ideal planting date.
  • Re-pot and harden off over the next two weeks, then plant.

What do I do? For reference, here's the weather for my location.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Conundrum! My tomatoes are ready to be planted outside, but the outside isn't ready for the tomatoes! I started my seeds too early this year. Now my plants are getting leggy and outgrowing their 1 quart containers. Overall, they don't look happy. They haven't really been hardened off yet. Here are my options:
  • Stick them in the ground, and cover them at night with remay to protect against frost and possibly hold some of the heat in. They will be going in raised beds.
  • Harden them off in their current pots over the next two weeks until the ideal planting date.
  • Re-pot and harden off over the next two weeks, then plant.

What do I do? For reference, here's the weather for my location.

I would split the difference between option 1 and 2. Harden them off in their current pots for the next 5 days to a week, bring them in Sunday night and any time its going to drop below 40, then in a week plant them and hope for the best, cover them if you have to.

nationalism
Feb 25, 2006

"not gay"
Your legal grow op is just precious. I hope you aren't ironically raided by the SWAT team.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'm surprised I haven't. The plants are in a window that faces the street, with a total of 6 4' fluorescents on them. You could play a ballgame under the lights in my yard until the timer shuts them off around 10:30.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

coyo7e posted:

It doesn't look as woody as many lilacs but the blooms and leaves strongly resemble one, and the pictures are all of very new growth so you can't see if the stems aren't woody - it likely is a lilac. They come in a range from white to yellowy to purple, and often have clumps of tiny flowers instead of singular larger blooms. Do a google image search for white lilac and see how many are clusters of small blooms opposed to bigger flowers for some "proof". ;)

If you've got the plant available, chop off a bloom and smoe leaves and take it to a local nursery, they should be able to tell you within seconds, if not a couple minutes after finding someone who's not a minimum-wage slave.

Richard Noggin posted:

Best guess - Ceanothus 'Snow Flurry', aka the California Lilac.

You guys are awesome! I had given up on figuring it out but now I can plant it in the spot I had picked out.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Sounds like Septoria Leaf Spot

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Tomato_Septoria.htm

Hmm.. it doesn't seem to look like this. I'll take a picture tomorrow after this massive rainstorm passes. Supposedly we'll be getting 3" of rain tonight alone! I managed to put my delicate wildflowers and herbs in some shelter, along with the red bell pepper plant and the lemon tree (new blooms appeared and I don't want them knocked to bits). However, three of the tomato plants and the two blackberry plants will have to tough it out. I've put them all in the most "secure" location away from heavy winds and rains as I can. Here's hoping :shobon:

nationalism
Feb 25, 2006

"not gay"
What kind of lovely wildflowers did you buy that cannot actually survive in the wild

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

nationalism posted:

What kind of lovely wildflowers did you buy that cannot actually survive in the wild

Douchebag alert. I'm surprised you've managed to troll so many threads without being probated or banned.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Agreed. I'm actually a pretty accomplished gardener at this point and I've got a big bare spot in my front yard where a box of cheap wildflower mix never took. poo poo happens.

Trolling a gardening thread has to be scraping the bottom of the barrel around here.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What the hell are you guys talking about?

He wasn't trolling.

Stop being so sensitive.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Hooray, today the frost warnings finally passed and I was proactive enough to actually get things in the ground after letting them languish and flop in a seed-tray.
Only 1 sugar-snap pea plant has come through and survived, but I've got a good number of Brussels Sprout seedlings. I also threw around a couple of packs of salad mix and rocket seeds- never grown salad leaves before so this will be a new experience. Hopefully I will be able to tell what's a weed and what's a delicious seedling. The slug traps are set with Tesco Value Bitter, and I've sprinkled around a few safe slug pellets. All I can do now is cross my fingers and hope there's still seedlings in the morning.

I have a gardening question, but it's not about vegetables. Last year I bought a sickly California poppy Eschscholzia californica plant from a garden centre and planted it in a bed that was designed to attract pollinating insects. Well, long story short, the bed has gone to poo poo and is completely overrun with weeds, but the poppy is thriving. This has surprised me as it's a relatively shady spot. My digitalis has done well, but I expected that.

How much do California poppies like/dislike being disturbed? There's plenty of other spots that are probably more suitable (sunnier!) and don't have the weed problem.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My grannie used to have poppies in the cracks of her driveway slab.

I think she planted one or two maybe 60 years ago and they just spread on their own. They also grew anywhere in the yard, shady, full sun, moist, dry fuckin anywhere.

They're pretty hardy, from what I understand. So move it if you like, but it's probably easier to just let it go to seed and take care of the weeds for you.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Slung Blade posted:

He wasn't trolling.

Stop being so sensitive.

Check his post history.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

He wasn't trolling.

Stop being so sensitive.

It's not that they're "lovely" wildflowers; it's that they're still very young and happen to be in pots. Heavy rains could result in overly wet roots and the very younger sprouts could be lost. These aren't transplants, so why risk losing them when you can prevent harm?

Logic is hard. :haw:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Check his post history.

He's a cool guy. He likes to hang around the gay thread, even though he's straight. Gets a lot of people mad, but only the ones who are too uptight to realize that this is a humor site and that he is funnier than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

My grannie used to have poppies in the cracks of her driveway slab.

I think she planted one or two maybe 60 years ago and they just spread on their own. They also grew anywhere in the yard, shady, full sun, moist, dry fuckin anywhere.

They're pretty hardy, from what I understand. So move it if you like, but it's probably easier to just let it go to seed and take care of the weeds for you.

When I say weeds, I mean brambles and bindweed mainly, with a few annuals like millet (spread by birds eating from my mum's feeders :argh:) or flax. So basically root based weeds which are a complete bitch to get rid of and grow 10cm a day.

I guess I'll leave it there and try to weed round it, although you've given me hope that it will spread like mad. I might throw in a few handfuls of British poppy seed too.

And hooray all of my seedlings survived the damp night. Although the traps are mysteriously empty. Oooh maybe we have a hedgehog? :neckbeard: