Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

WebDog posted:

It's on my top list of "mindless action films that are just fun to watch".

It's not mindless. It's a great political satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kapalama posted:

Is it worth watching the movie since it is free and all?

Really, for the time the effects are pretty good. And I'd say as an actual movie it's only gotten better since its release because it's a parody of the fascist, militaristic society that the book unironically endorsed rather than just "PEW PEW SPACE LAZORS :hellyeah:" like so many people expected and seeing the parallels between post-9/11 society and the world of the film is pretty biting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kapalama posted:

Starship Troopers:
Are the special effects supposed to look bad?
(Never seen it; it's on hulu; five minutes in and I hate it so far)

I always felt like Starship Troopers CG really holds up for a 13 year old movie, especially seeing how busy it is all the time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

kapalama posted:

Is it worth watching the movie since it is free and all?

There's a pretty big shower scene where everyone casually disrobes and showers together, so there's that.

Would you like to know more?

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
So has anyone seen "Der Boxprinz" (2002)? It looks like I would have to order it from some German site, and am definitely considering doing so. Yes, I know, I only found out about it because the guy played Vigo, but his life story seems drat fascinating.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
What the hell the CGI holds up pretty drat well in Starship Troopers you got broken eyes or something?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

What the gently caress Starship Troopers is the best. It's funny and charming and smart and violent and titful and what the hell how can you not like it?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
What the poo poo it's like a hilarious "90210 in space" parody and then there's giant bugs vs space soldiers, how is that not awesome?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

so, i signed up for netflix (2010 bout drat time) only to find that so many of the movies i want to watch right goddamed now are in my queue instead of being streamed. Should i just go ahead and watch Barry Lyndon?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

meanolmrcloud posted:

so, i signed up for netflix (2010 bout drat time) only to find that so many of the movies i want to watch right goddamed now are in my queue instead of being streamed. Should i just go ahead and watch Barry Lyndon?

This is a weird question.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

Set aside 3 hours and enjoy one of the best period dramas ever made.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

So, I just remembered that there was a box set of Park-chan Wook's Vengeance Trilogy. Has anyone grabbed it yet?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JYPVT0?ie=UTF8&tag=palistarta-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002JYPVT0

This review on amazon says it's only 4 discs unlike the 8 that are advertised. I really don't mind that at all but I was wondering how the film's look and if there is the fade-to-white effect on Lady Vengeance.

edit: oh, the details say there's an introduction to the fade-to-white version so I'm assuming that's the one on the disc.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Egbert Souse posted:

Set aside 3 hours and enjoy one of the best period dramas ever made.

yep. my family has, for whatever reason, a massive hardon for PBS masterpiece theater's weekly sunday british wars-of-past wank off. Toss in some kubrick and i'll dive right in and with a little wine there is no shame. I fear for the future (of watching melodrama not of this scale.)

To watch immediately was ginger snaps, annie hall, blood simple, brazil or unforgiven, all of which currently reside in my queue along with a few others i was royally pissed about not being able to watch. Barry is royally sweet though.

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
There are a lot of trailers that feature scenes that never end up in the final film. Iron Man 2 is a recent example but in the originial Transporter there is a scene in the trailer where the main character deflected a RPG with a dinner plate and that awesome scene never made it in. That really annoyed me and kinda felt like a bait and switch. Anyway, scenes like these are they just scenes they filmed and decided not to use or are they shot on purpose to tease us in the trailer?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

DocBrown posted:

There are a lot of trailers that feature scenes that never end up in the final film. Iron Man 2 is a recent example but in the originial Transporter there is a scene in the trailer where the main character deflected a RPG with a dinner plate and that awesome scene never made it in. That really annoyed me and kinda felt like a bait and switch. Anyway, scenes like these are they just scenes they filmed and decided not to use or are they shot on purpose to tease us in the trailer?

Trailers are cut months before the movies are ready to screen (in some cases, before the whole movie is even filmed or written), and the people who make the trailers are almost never the same people who are making the creative decisions on the movie, so you always run the risk of stuff appearing in a trailer then being taken out in editing for some reason.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

DocBrown posted:

There's also the issue of reshoots. I know during production of THE SURROGATES last year, whole sequences were shot after initial production was wrapped to add beats to the trailer. So, scenes that were in earlier trailers were revised with more action or suspense, to be included in later trailers.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The DVD of Steven Seagal's Marked For Death is non-anamorphic, making it annoyingly tiny when viewed on a 16:9 TV. A blu-ray is coming out of it on Tuesday, and apparently it's still going to be tiny like that.

Then doing research I learned there's no such thing an 'anamorphic' for blu-ray. So are all 2.35:1 movies tiny on blu-ray, or am I misunderstanding things? I don't have a blu-ray player so my knowledge of it is pretty bare.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Not really a movie but could someone explain to me how they achieved the time lapse shots with a moving camera in Planet Earth?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

codyclarke posted:

The DVD of Steven Seagal's Marked For Death is non-anamorphic, making it annoyingly tiny when viewed on a 16:9 TV. A blu-ray is coming out of it on Tuesday, and apparently it's still going to be tiny like that.

Then doing research I learned there's no such thing an 'anamorphic' for blu-ray. So are all 2.35:1 movies tiny on blu-ray, or am I misunderstanding things? I don't have a blu-ray player so my knowledge of it is pretty bare.

Huh? Blu Ray supports all aspect ratios and there are probably some older movies or television shows that come in 4:3 though I don't know any off the top of my head. That said, yeah, there will be black bars if the aspect ratio isn't 16:9 like your television.

The Lucas posted:

Not really a movie but could someone explain to me how they achieved the time lapse shots with a moving camera in Planet Earth?

Most likely they were taken with a DSLR camera which gets a much larger picture and is then cropped down to 1920x1080.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fayez Butts posted:

Most likely they were taken with a DSLR camera which gets a much larger picture and is then cropped down to 1920x1080.

The focal point is clearly moving in many of the shots. They probably did it in the obvious way- every X hours or days, they carefully shifted the camera a precise distance and took a shot, then smoothed out the movement later in editing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Fayez Butts posted:

Huh? Blu Ray supports all aspect ratios and there are probably some older movies or television shows that come in 4:3 though I don't know any off the top of my head. That said, yeah, there will be black bars if the aspect ratio isn't 16:9 like your television.

I know there will be black bars, since obviously the film isn't 16:9, it's 2.35:1. However there's a difference between 2.35:1 being displayed in a 16:9 area and a 4:3 area. Apparently, the new Seagal DVD is 2.35:1 in a 4:3 area, thus making it tiny on a 16:9 screen if viewed in its proper dimensions. My question is whether this is the case for a lot of 2.35:1 movies that are blu-ray, or if this is just some weird, lazy isolated incident with this one particular title.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

What the hell the CGI holds up pretty drat well in Starship Troopers you got broken eyes or something?

penismightier posted:

What the gently caress Starship Troopers is the best. It's funny and charming and smart and violent and titful and what the hell how can you not like it?

Jay Dub posted:

What the poo poo it's like a hilarious "90210 in space" parody and then there's giant bugs vs space soldiers, how is that not awesome?

Bugs look like plastic lawn furniture made into a Disney animatronic machine. Denise Richards keeps showing me her nostrils. The other chick looks like she is forty, but sitting in a high school classroom hitting on a high school kid. (Wait, that's 90210 in a nutshell: Ugly 40 year old chicks pretending to be in high school.) Teacher has a fake looking stump.

But it sounds like I should watch it, anyway.

Anyone like the movie Sunshine (the 2007 'restart the sun' movie?)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

codyclarke posted:

I know there will be black bars, since obviously the film isn't 16:9, it's 2.35:1. However there's a difference between 2.35:1 being displayed in a 16:9 area and a 4:3 area. Apparently, the new Seagal DVD is 2.35:1 in a 4:3 area, thus making it tiny on a 16:9 screen if viewed in its proper dimensions. My question is whether this is the case for a lot of 2.35:1 movies that are blu-ray, or if this is just some weird, lazy isolated incident with this one particular title.

There is no 2.35 movie on Blu that will be squeezed into a 4:3 area.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

I very much doubt that Marked for Death, or ANY Blu-Ray, will be non-anamorphic. Where the hell are you getting this info from?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

The Cameo posted:

There is no 2.35 movie on Blu that will be squeezed into a 4:3 area.

Alright maybe I received really bum information from these strangers complaining on Amazon. This is good news.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Alright maybe I received really bum information from these strangers complaining on Amazon. This is good news.

Amazon review posted:

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS. PLEASE!, January 28, 2010
By Jason Young J. Tak "Filmproducer" (Glendale, CA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Marked for Death (DVD)

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS REPACKAGED VERSION. I SAY AGAIN PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS. ANYONE WHO ARE TRYING TO GET THIS FOR FIRST TIME EVER & IF YOU ARE HARDCORE FAN OF THIS MOVE, YOU MIGHT WANT TO BUY THIS BUT GIVE IT A RENT FIRST SIMPLY BECAUSE THIS EDITION HAS EXACT SAME DISC AS PREVIOUS EDITION (NON-ANAMORPHIC). THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS EDITION & OLDER EDTION IS THE NEWLY PRINTED COVER. IF YOU HAVE OLDER EDITION, PLEASE KEEP IT. DON,T BUY THIS EDITION TIMES 10000. END OF STORY.

Note the bold part. It's a review of the DVD.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Speaking of the Matrix, there is a part where Cypher calls Tank and Tank seems confused, and Cypher says something like "goddamn car accident, somebody up there still likes me" as many times as I've seen this I still have no gently caress clue what this scene means. What the poo poo does a car accident have to do with anything going on.

Also this may not be the place but I noticed the last time I watched, the book he pulls his hacker program out of in the beginning was Simulacron-3, which the movie is based off of. I'm betting this is under the IMDB trivia section though.

Edit: Wait that was The Thirteenth Floor, which got eclipsed by the Matrix. Too bad too I thought it was awesome.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 11, 2010

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Speaking of the Matrix, there is a part where Cypher calls Tank and Tank seems confused, and Cypher says something like "goddamn car accident, somebody up there still likes me" as many times as I've seen this I still have no gently caress clue what this scene means. What the poo poo does a car accident have to do with anything going on.

Going back on memory, seeing Cypher betrayed the team I was under the impression it's something to do with that, agents doing some sort of blockade to stop the team getting out safely.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's been a while but I think there was a police truck/van knocked over in the background, I think he was "arrested" but escaped Fugitive-style via a car accident.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah as far as I recall, basically the gang gets ambushed and Cypher gets away from them and calls Tank first. The car accident line is just made up to ward off suspicion (the car accident is actually the work of the agents I guess?).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Carthag posted:

Yeah as far as I recall, basically the gang gets ambushed and Cypher gets away from them and calls Tank first. The car accident line is just made up to ward off suspicion (the car accident is actually the work of the agents I guess?).

Considering their plan to get Morpheus requires Cypher not being jacked in (so he can eliminate the operator, leaving the rest of the crew stranded in The Matrix and unable to jack out with no idea where Morpheus is), that would be a bingo.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Tender Bender posted:

It's been a while but I think there was a police truck/van knocked over in the background, I think he was "arrested" but escaped Fugitive-style via a car accident.

Ok I'm going back and watching this, if this is true it clears a lot up.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Having just recently read it, has there been any serious attempt to get a Snow Crash movie off the ground?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

the Bunt posted:

So, I just remembered that there was a box set of Park-chan Wook's Vengeance Trilogy. Has anyone grabbed it yet?
This actually reminds me of something that I always ask myself when I see Wook's work come up on these boards. People usually say that the first two movies are enjoyable, but Lady Vengeance is the best. I just don't see it. I thought Sympathy was excellent and Oldboy was good fun but Lady Vengeance was just drawn out and uninteresting to me (even though seeing its preview is what originally got me interested in Wook's Vengeance Trilogy).

So, here's my subjective question: Why do people really enjoy Lady Vengeance? Help me understand what I missed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Green Crayons posted:

So, here's my subjective question: Why do people really enjoy Lady Vengeance? Help me understand what I missed.

I'll just quote my own review:

FitFortDanga posted:

The film is visually delectable, with oodles of striking images and clever effects. The story is rich and multi-faceted, without needing to resort to convoluted plot twists or cheap thrills. It's funny, moving, tense, engaging and often heartbreakingly beautiful.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

The Machine posted:

Having just recently read it, has there been any serious attempt to get a Snow Crash movie off the ground?

Apparently there's a Diamond Age TV special or something in development/limbo, but I've never heard about Snow Crash (obviously I've read it).

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

The Machine posted:

Wikipedia says it got to pre-production in the 90s, with a writer and director attached, but that's about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HoldYourFire posted:

Apparently there's a Diamond Age TV special or something in development/limbo, but I've never heard about Snow Crash (obviously I've read it).

They were supposed to be doing that for HBO, but the last I read about that was probably like 5 years ago.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

This actually reminds me of something that I always ask myself when I see Wook's work come up on these boards. People usually say that the first two movies are enjoyable, but Lady Vengeance is the best. I just don't see it. I thought Sympathy was excellent and Oldboy was good fun but Lady Vengeance was just drawn out and uninteresting to me (even though seeing its preview is what originally got me interested in Wook's Vengeance Trilogy).

To me, there is just so much more meat to Lady Vengeance than there is the other two, especially Oldboy. Its plot isn't as insufferably stupid as Oldboy, and at times it seems both more reserved and more frenetic and ridiculous than the other films. I also found myself growing far more attached to the characters in Lady Vengeance than in Mr. Vengeance. Aesthetically speaking, it is Wook's prettiest, awe inspiring movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's going on with the Dark Crystal sequel? I remember reading about it ages ago, but is it dead?

Also, what the gently caress MGM not having any money so it stops its cash cow Bond films? It doesn't make any sense.

Finally, I really want to get a blu ray player, and they're fairly cheap now. I used to buy a lot of DVDs, but i've put a hold on that due to BRs. Though I discovered that I have to get a HD tv first because of the connections. Which sucks because if I have an HD tv I need to get an HD box from my cable company which is more money, on top of the TV.

Or can you get BR players that use composite video?