Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

stratdax posted:

Where's the drat collapsed road in the canal tunnels where these nanotech augs supposedly are. I go down to the Canal tunnel, but it only takes me to the back entrance for Versalife.

Also, when I went back to Maggie Chow's place to grab the Dragon's Tooth after she sent me to the police station, she wasn't there. But you guys are saying you kill her before that? Or after? Or what. How many different ways can you approach the Maggie Chow plot, and what are the effects? I have no idea what I'm doing in Hong Kong.

Through the the vent in the freezer room behind the bar in the Old China Hand. Might need a rebreather unless you have a level in swimming / regeneration.

You can kill Chow at any time once you've arrived in HK, and the objectives conversations can get a bit confused. It doesn't change the overall plot.

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

stratdax posted:

Where's the drat collapsed road in the canal tunnels where these nanotech augs supposedly are. I go down to the Canal tunnel, but it only takes me to the back entrance for Versalife.

Also, when I went back to Maggie Chow's place to grab the Dragon's Tooth after she sent me to the police station, she wasn't there. But you guys are saying you kill her before that? Or after? Or what. How many different ways can you approach the Maggie Chow plot, and what are the effects? I have no idea what I'm doing in Hong Kong.

I just shoot her in the head, open her secret room, grab the sword, and leave. I find it funny that all of the guards are sitting in the room next to the Dragon Sword instead of in the room with the Dragon Sword, it's also possible to alert them from the other side of the secret door but they just go back into the room next to the one with the super important plot device. If you kill her before she leaves her hotel you won't have to fight her later on in the VersaLife building. But seriously who does she think she is taking on Denton?

I always rush through Hong Kong because I couldn't care less for the really detailed level design.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Mousepractice posted:

Through the the vent in the freezer room behind the bar in the Old China Hand. Might need a rebreather unless you have a level in swimming / regeneration.

Haven't been able to figure out how to get to Old China Hand. I can see signs for it, but it just takes me to a confusing bunch of canals, staircases, and bridges. I saw Old China Hand once, but I can't figure out where I saw it, or how to get to it. I freakin hate Hong Kong.

Tombdust
Aug 18, 2009

Known to attract ravenous hordes of undead dust mites
Go to the refrigeration/storage room in the canals (drop down at the sampan ride in the morning advertising guards, it's underneath the red neon ad with 4 identical signs), jump up the boxes and make your way through the tunnels, you'll end up in the collapsed canals.

As for the Maggie Chow plots:
- you kill her right away and find the dragon's tooth, no further mentions of her

- you do as she says, go to the police station, find out that she sent you there to die, return to an empty appartment (except for the maid, the guards she calls for and the sword).

You'll see her meeting with Bob Paige in Versalife later on, and before you destroy the UC she'll be waiting for you with a dragon tooth of her own.

To me the second plot is way more satisfying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mousepractice posted:

:frogout:

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Ansob. posted:

my gillen is augmented

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mousepractice posted:

my gillen is augmented

Everyone knows John Walker is the best quarter of RPS anyway.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 19, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Man, I can't believe you guys actually waste lebedev. I can never bring myself to obey that cold authoratarian bitch.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I remember the first time I played Deus Ex, I saw the MJ12 hints on her computer, decided that she was evil and prodded her before stealing the sword. If I had known she were to appear at the UT, I would have chugged her out her window...

Edit: That's what I'm going to do this time :black101:

Iacen fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 11, 2010

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Ansob. posted:

Everyone knows John Walker is the best quarter of RPS anyway.

I knew KG and JW before they were famous :smug: (because i read them in PCGamer)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Man, I can't believe you guys actually waste lebedev. I can never bring myself to obey that cold authoratarian bitch.

This makes me wonder... does anyone know if there's any new dialogue if you kill Lebedev before Anna even shows up?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Diggus Bickus posted:

I seem to remember it worked wonders on the flamethrower. I'll have to check it out though.

Yeah. I used almost all my range mods on my flamethrower and I'm pretty drat sure the effective range increased with each one. Can confirm this eve.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tombdust posted:

Go to the refrigeration/storage room in the canals (drop down at the sampan ride in the morning advertising guards, it's underneath the red neon ad with 4 identical signs), jump up the boxes and make your way through the tunnels, you'll end up in the collapsed canals.

This was the room I was talking about a few pages back that some guy was asking about. I was remembering its location slightly wrong, but the basic idea was there. I had a friend play through the game 3 times and never even find the freezer, let alone the secret room.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ansob. posted:

That man made me love Total War all over again.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Deus Ex 2 was only worth (getting) it (free from a friend) because of Bot Domination and the Omar.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mike the TV posted:

Deus Ex 2 was only worth (getting) it (free from a friend) because of Bot Domination and the Omar.

Someone else had to suffer (pay) for your minor enjoyment!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tombdust posted:

- you kill her right away and find the dragon's tooth, no further mentions of her

- you do as she says, go to the police station, find out that she sent you there to die, return to an empty appartment (except for the maid, the guards she calls for and the sword).

You'll see her meeting with Bob Paige in Versalife later on, and before you destroy the UC she'll be waiting for you with a dragon tooth of her own.

When scoping out her apartment you can also find the Dragon's Tooth on your own. Last time I did that, Chow vanished from the apartment and reappeared later in Versalife and the UC. Did have to knock out her nosy maid though after she pulled a gun on me when I was checking Chow's computer.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

stratdax posted:

Haven't been able to figure out how to get to Old China Hand. I can see signs for it, but it just takes me to a confusing bunch of canals, staircases, and bridges. I saw Old China Hand once, but I can't figure out where I saw it, or how to get to it. I freakin hate Hong Kong.
- Go to the Luminous Path compound's front door. Face away from it.
- Look to your right. You should see the market and a brightly colored staircase leading down. Take the staircase.
- Once down there, go left and follow it down. Look for a door and a sign.
- Old China Hand!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

etalian posted:

How did you :saddowns:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Come on, you totally know that you would :roboluv: with Anna, given the chance.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lowen SoDium posted:

:roboluv:

Who buys these things?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Come on, you totally know that you would :roboluv: with Anna, given the chance.

grind her gears?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You mechs might have copper rewiring to reroute your fear of love, but I've got balls of steel.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My gametes are augmented.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tombdust posted:

You can also break into the police station first, without meeting her, if you save the code from a prior play through. The first time you see her is with Page. The maid's dialogue stays the same but they accounted for it when you run into her in the UC.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Another fun interaction. That terr'ist dude in the statue, shoot him in the head before you even talk to him and you get this later:

PAUL DENTON
You were a little out of line up there.

JC DENTON
I don’t understand.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
JC Denton is an incorruptible force with no patience for the propaganda of evil-doers

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Stump Truck posted:

JC Denton is an incorruptible force with no patience for the propaganda of evil-doers

The greatest way to prove this is with the speed aug and the Dragon's Tooth. With careful timing you can slay someone who's running up to talk to you just as he starts to utter the first syllable, short-circuiting the entire conversation. "You- DYAAAAAAGH"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tombdust posted:

I'm partial to meeting her and going through the formalities, but then staying for the "tour" of her apartment and nosing around till I find the secret rooms. There are a bunch of hints and ways around to the back rooms in her penthouse. Usually I end up taking out her MJ12 guards but dealing with Chow later at the UC.

If you find the Dragon's Tooth but don't bother to pick it up, you have nothing to show the triads but they really don't mind! Apparently "I saw it with my own eyes" is enough proof to end their war forever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's also just plain fun to have her running at you with a sword and you just pull out your pistol and shoot her once in the face. We sadly don't have an Indy emoticon, yet we have a Cylon sex one. :confused:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Carbohydrates posted:

Another fun interaction. That terr'ist dude in the statue, shoot him in the head before you even talk to him and you get this later:

PAUL DENTON
You were a little out of line up there.

JC DENTON
I don’t understand.

The game flag for this is "PlayerIsAnAsshole=True". (not kidding)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I have somehow managed to get an objective stuck as uncompleted. It hasn't hindered progress, but it's odd getting on the helicopter to go to France and seeing that you need to align the satellites and send a distress signal.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

etalian posted:

Our Lord Jesus Christ "Jesus Christ, Denton!" Denton.

(Come on, I can't be the only one who thinks of that whenever he sees those initials on the character creation screen.)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ansob. posted:

(Come on, I can't be the only one who thinks of that whenever he sees those initials on the character creation screen.)

That is absolutely 100% the reference in a character who has been designed from birth to be the physical vessel of an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent immortal force governing all human life (or seeking to, anyway).

Its the people who don't think of that I'm curious about.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captain Novolin posted:

I have somehow managed to get an objective stuck as uncompleted. It hasn't hindered progress, but it's odd getting on the helicopter to go to France and seeing that you need to align the satellites and send a distress signal.

A common bug, unfortunately you are cursed with never having sent the signal to silhouette.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Gynovore posted:

The game flag for this is "PlayerIsAnAsshole=True". (not kidding)
That's fantastic.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Powercrazy posted:

A common bug, unfortunately you are cursed with never having sent the signal to silhouette.
What a shame. Luckily it shouldn't make a difference as there is no why to normally progress in the game without having sent the signal.

Even so, I once murdered Chad just to see if I could (you can) and later told those two girls in the club that he was alive and well in the sewers. JC is such an rear end in a top hat.

There are situations in the game which the programmers hadn't accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Ansob. posted:

Our Lord Jesus Christ "Jesus Christ, Denton!" Denton.

It's even funnier when you know that at some point in the development of the game, they were planning on revealing that JC was supposedly a direct descendant of Jesus Christ, but it just never made it into the game. :D