Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, drat! Square-Enix's official press release confirms that the "Young Nier" is indeed our RepliCant friend.

quote:

Also, by the popular demand of NIER’s worldwide fans, the World of Recycled Vessel DLC pack will finally allow users in North America and elsewhere to play as “Young Nier,” a version of the title character previously only available in NIER RepliCant, the Japan-only version of the game found exclusively on PlayStation 3. [NIER RepliCant is only on PlayStation 3 and only available in Japan. The game offers the same core gameplay, story line, content and experience as NIER, with the only difference lying in the main character: in NIER RepliCant, the protagonist is a young man fighting to save his sister Yonah, while in NIER, the hero is a grown man fighting to save his daughter, Yonah.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I'm more interested in the actual content it adds - sounds like it's a fairly sizeable chunk of gameplay. Wonder if they've got more packs like this planned?

The scrawlfx article makes a point of referring to this as the "first" batch of DLC, so I'm assuming (hoping) that means we get more DLC after this. Would be cool if we get more Drakengard related stuff, like a quest to retrieve the missing memory of the Great Tree in the Forest of Myth or maybe some kind of Kaine spin-off material.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Tricky posted:

Ending A Can't say I wasn't halfway expecting the whole Devola/Popola are robots bit, but I'm mostly pissed that Nier didn't bother to do one of his fancy finishing moves while the twins were doing their defeat monologue. Emil didn't have to die. :smith: Other than that, it wasn't super mindblowing. Does it get Drakengard crazy in the other endings?

Play through Ending B. There's some expansion on what happened to Emil.

So far, it seems like the endings are all the same but with more points of view, and more insight into character motivations, rather than being actually DIFFERENT endings.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Okay, just a heads up. The DLC is up on the US 360 marketplace. 560 points, 483.5 MB download. If you cant find it go to Nier -> All Downloads. Downloading now!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Policenaut posted:

The third book appears early on in the 1st part, I can't exactly remember when you fight it but you definitely do fight that Grimoire as a boss.

Out of interest are you talking about the one you fight in the Spencer Mansion library?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Out of interest are you talking about the one you fight in the Spencer Mansion library?

Yeah that's the one, I just fought it in my speed run now.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Trip report. DLC was kind of a let down. You just fight through 15 "challenge" rooms based around areas already in the game as the Replicant version of Nier. The enemies don't drop items or give EXP but you are rewarded with money and EXP every 5 rooms. You also get 1 new weapon for each type all of which can be upgraded with 1 Damascus Steel per level. The new costumes are alright, they come in Samurai or Kabuki flavor. You still don't get the option to use Replicant Nier outside of the DLC rooms. One of the rooms toward the end does have a bunch of crates that drop a ton of ores and other stuff though. I got 2 Eagle eggs in there. It was a fun hour or so I guess but maybe not worth 7 bux.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Visually the areas are neat, each one has a different colour-correction filter. Although, yeah; mostly re-cycled areas, although I don't remember the basket ball court in the main game.

Between each room you get a little flavour text hinting about the end-game plot, with a few references to dragons falling from the sky for good measure.

EDIT: Also, the new music is a bunch of awesome remixes. I hope they get released separately, or someone rips them from the game.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 11, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Well, I just finished the game for the first time (ending A I assume) and I'm feeling pretty :psyduck: right now.

Part 2 Facade question: Why exactly was Fyra able to speak while she was dying, I thought she was mute? Also that whole wedding was pretty much the equivalent of a cop in an action film announcing that they would be retiring soon. No way something :smith: wasn't going to happen.

Last dungeon etc. I'm up way too late because I wasn't expecting the last part to just be a marathon of fights with no save points, blah.

How are you meant to know in advance how to answer the bird's questions, trial and error or is there a clue that I missed?

Cool final battle with all the bullet-hell and such, although pretty much the whole last segment (from the second twins fight onward) made me feel like crap. Whoopee.

What exactly was Weiss and Noir's purpose? I read the Gestalt reports and I still don't get it. Will I find out on the way to ending B or something?

This game certainly has creative boss names. Like the giant eyeball called Wendy, the wolf called Roc and the boar called Goose.

Alphabetical credits? Innovation!!

Chopsticks
Jan 14, 2009
This is going to sound stupid, but where do I go to find the treasure map for the village smith? I've looked everywhere I thought would make sense, but have so far turned up nothing.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

Chopsticks posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but where do I go to find the treasure map for the village smith? I've looked everywhere I thought would make sense, but have so far turned up nothing.

Here's a clue,
Look in a place, where old records are kept.

Xythar posted:

Well, I just finished the game for the first time (ending A I assume) and I'm feeling pretty :psyduck: right now.

Part 2 Facade question: Why exactly was Fyra able to speak while she was dying, I thought she was mute? Also that whole wedding was pretty much the equivalent of a cop in an action film announcing that they would be retiring soon. No way something :smith: wasn't going to happen.

Last dungeon etc. I'm up way too late because I wasn't expecting the last part to just be a marathon of fights with no save points, blah.

How are you meant to know in advance how to answer the bird's questions, trial and error or is there a clue that I missed?

Cool final battle with all the bullet-hell and such, although pretty much the whole last segment (from the second twins fight onward) made me feel like crap. Whoopee.

What exactly was Weiss and Noir's purpose? I read the Gestalt reports and I still don't get it. Will I find out on the way to ending B or something?

This game certainly has creative boss names. Like the giant eyeball called Wendy, the wolf called Roc and the boar called Goose.

Alphabetical credits? Innovation!!

Not a clue you missed, something you aren't thinking of. Think of the black Scrawl, about project Gestalt, and about the whole point of the game, saving your daughter from the black scrawl... remember, this is the disease that wiped out humanity.

Notinghamington fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 11, 2010

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Notinghamington posted:

Here's a clue,
Look in a place, where old records are kept.

Not a clue you missed, something you aren't thinking of. Think of the black Scrawl, about project Gestalt, and about the whole point of the game, saving your daughter from the black scrawl... remember, this is the disease that wiped out humanity.

You won't really know the answers the first playthrough. By the time you get there in ending B, you have more of an idea as to why the answers are what they are

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm almost done with the weapon upgrades now. The only thing left I really dread collecting are the Black Pearls (12 left) and Flourite (11).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I'm almost done with the weapon upgrades now. The only thing left I really dread collecting are the Black Pearls (12 left) and Flourite (11).

Black Pearls wern't that bad for me, it took me a couple hours but until crap like Dented Metal Bat and Forlorn Necklace, there's an extreme amount of :effort: involved. It's just running around a short distance over and over, plus you can find Flourite and such in Junk Heap and Barren Temple.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oh yeah, and will there be something in a future ending that makes the opening in 20xx make sense?

I understand that they are the "original" Nier (who would go on to become Shadowlord) and Yonah, but what I don't get is why there are Shades already (I thought Nier/Yonah were among the first Project Gestalt subjects?) or why both books are there, or why the dialogue is as it is.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Xythar posted:

Oh yeah, and will there be something in a future ending that makes the opening in 20xx make sense?

I understand that they are the "original" Nier (who would go on to become Shadowlord) and Yonah, but what I don't get is why there are Shades already (I thought Nier/Yonah were among the first Project Gestalt subjects?) or why both books are there, or why the dialogue is as it is.

There's one other confusing thing about that scene, too:

Both books aren't there. Nier wakes up at the start. Looks over, sees Grimoire Noir. Kills the shades, goes to talk to Yonah, warns her not to touch her book... which is also Grimoire Noir, smiling face and everything. Two Noirs?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Meiteron posted:

There's one other confusing thing about that scene, too:

Both books aren't there. Nier wakes up at the start. Looks over, sees Grimoire Noir. Kills the shades, goes to talk to Yonah, warns her not to touch her book... which is also Grimoire Noir, smiling face and everything. Two Noirs?

The book he was using to fight the shades was Noir? I had assumed it was Weiss, whereas the book he kicked / the one he warned Yonah not to touch was Noir. But why would that even be a problem I thought those books were created to help them argh I'm confused.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

And there, Platinum!

For all the griping and moaning I've made for material collecting, I do have to say that this game went well beyond my expectations for it. I sold Final Fantasy 13 to buy this and I don't regret it for a single moment, definitely a favorite of mine. I'm not sure though if Cavia's trying to be a little cute with the Platinum title though, The Final Verse. Maybe a Drakengard reference?

quote:

Xythar Book Chat

I think the book purposely moves behind the scenes while you're busy fighting all the Shades, that's really the only explanation I can think of why Noir is with Nier in the beginning then after the fight it's hanging out with Yonah

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

And there, Platinum!

For all the griping and moaning I've made for material collecting, I do have to say that this game went well beyond my expectations for it. I sold Final Fantasy 13 to buy this and I don't regret it for a single moment, definitely a favorite of mine. I'm not sure though if Cavia's trying to be a little cute with the Platinum title though, The Final Verse. Maybe a Drakengard reference?

I think the book purposely moves behind the scenes while you're busy fighting all the Shades, that's really the only explanation I can think of why Noir is with Nier in the beginning then after the fight it's hanging out with Yonah

Yeah, that whole thing doesn't exactly make the most sense.

Hell, I can't even think of why the book is with ???/Nier 1 in the first place. I mean he's obviously not some random dude if he's toting one of the 'world saving books' around. And yeah, the 'Verse' thing is a Drakengard reference. The game was organized into chapters with individual subsections being called 'verses.'

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 12, 2010

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So after playing the DLC, I think I've come up with an apt subtitle for it.

"The World of Recycled Vessel: Everything is Caim and Red's fault"

Playing as Young Nier was a nice change of pace (though what the gently caress is up with his voice?!), loved all that bizarre techno/rock remixes of the soundtrack, those filters were pretty cool. The story bits were really interesting, basically spending a lot of it talking about Caim, the shades, a "puppet priest", grotesqueries, and how Angelus basically ended the world and I guess the two new environments and new enemy variations were neat. Also love the blatant Drakengard 1/2 references in the weapon stories, they must be saving the good Caim Sword for another DLC though. It's neat though how Cavia managed to fit in two new gameplay gimmicks into this though, I thought those were fun (that on-rails FPS sequence was totally out of left field)

There's only one real thing I'm disappointed by and it's the major lack of any real building of Nier's character in this. The entire DLC's plot just seems to help flesh out the cause of the end of the world (which is now 99% obviously Caim and Red's fault) but ignores the fact that this is about Nier's wife. I would have liked that diary to actually be added to the Memo section so we could read it, maybe learn more about Nier's family before she died. Maybe we could have even seen his wife in a small sequence? It also disappointed me that even though we played Young Nier, Weiss never mentions anything about the fact of how different he looks. I would have liked just one joke about it from him, that would have been enough for me to look past the lack of development. At the end it's just "So uh what do you make of it" and Weiss goes "No idea" and it ends. WTF Cavia?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Playing as Young Nier was a nice change of pace (though what the gently caress is up with his voice?!), loved all that bizarre techno/rock remixes of the soundtrack, those filters were pretty cool. The story bits were really interesting, basically spending a lot of it talking about Caim, the shades, a "puppet priest", grotesqueries, and how Angelus basically ended the world and I guess the two new environments and new enemy variations were neat. Also love the blatant Drakengard 1/2 references in the weapon stories, they must be saving the good Caim Sword for another DLC though. It's neat though how Cavia managed to fit in two new gameplay gimmicks into this though, I thought those were fun (that on-rails FPS sequence was totally out of left field)

There's only one real thing I'm disappointed by and it's the major lack of any real building of Nier's character in this. The entire DLC's plot just seems to help flesh out the cause of the end of the world (which is now 99% obviously Caim and Red's fault) but ignores the fact that this is about Nier's wife. I would have liked that diary to actually be added to the Memo section so we could read it, maybe learn more about Nier's family before she died. Maybe we could have even seen his wife in a small sequence? It also disappointed me that even though we played Young Nier, Weiss never mentions anything about the fact of how different he looks. I would have liked just one joke about it from him, that would have been enough for me to look past the lack of development. At the end it's just "So uh what do you make of it" and Weiss goes "No idea" and it ends. WTF Cavia?

...you mean it wasn't totally Caim and Red's fault before and the DLC somehow makes them even MORE to blame? Yeah, I gotta see this poo poo.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

How is the DLC handled, do you need a save file to play from?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

In between most of the "nightmare" sequences there are black screens with white lines of text that are kinda short and ominous, some of them blatantly refer to characters from Drakengard though. One of the lines goes along as such "The dragon's corpse brought death to the world, bringing to it the power of the devil" which is basically "Yeah, she's the reason everyone's hosed." There's a Verdelet reference I believe in there and Caim gets a shout out too. There's some really interesting backstory development in here but it's the kind you're going to have to really pick apart.

The DLC works pretty much how you think it would, you download and install it, then you load up either a New Game or a Continue and you get a message saying that the DLC is installed and how to play it (the diary is an examine item in Nier's home). The weird thing is that the "Downloadable Content" menu option is still inaccessible, no clue about that. The weapons you get are all blunt Drakengard references too, the "Fool's" trio.

For those who just want to know their stats, here.

Fool's Embrace (One Hand) Lv.1
ATK: 200, Magic +30%
Weight: Very Heavy
A sword created after a man, driven mad by revenge, sealed away a cursed dragon.

Fool's Lament (Two Hand) Lv.1
ATK: 400, Magic +30%
A weapon with a heroic dragon motif, used by a man who tried to save the world.

Fool's Accord (Spear) Lv.1
ATK: 300, Magic +30%
A lance birthed as part of a pact of an ancient red dragon.

Like total assholes, Cavia made the sole upgrade requirement to these Damascus Steel (a.k.a. "That worthless ore you get in Junk Heap looking for Flourites and sell) but on the plus side, despite them being classed "Very Heavy" they swing at the same speed as "Light". A bug or Cavia loving with us? No idea. At least that's how they feel. Some of these weapons glow and have pulsating special effects, the two handed sword has a red trail too.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I notice the Phoenix Spear is still by far the strongest weapon in the game.

I'm kind of interested in this DLC now, if for no other reason than to hear some great remixed music.

From what I hear, the new DLC stages are farmable for some rare materials as well, no?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I wouldn't call the Vessel "farmable" in the same way that you could farm a regular material, but there are definitely some rare or expensive materials present. A lot of the nightmares don't have any materials at all, but a few of them do such as the lab available through the third "door" in the vessel.

So far I've come across in the lab:
- Rusted Clump
- Copper/Iron/Gold Ore
- Titanium Alloy
- Crystal
- Pyrite
- Moldavite
- Meteorite
- Amber
- Flourite

The weapons you get are potentially some of the strongest in the entire game, the Fool's weapons at Lv. 2 apparently boost their ATKs to (one hand/two hand/spear) 277/730/416. Keep in mind these are compared against Lv. 4's and these are their Lv. 2 ATK stats. I can't imagine how strong they are at Lv. 4.

Interestingly, there's a lot of new variants of old enemies. All heavily armored, this includes the "mini-boss" enemies that you face off against too. This DLC can get pretty hard too, there are times when the game goes Touhou bullet hell and practically floods the screen with inescapable magic bullets. At Level 56, this DLC managed to nearly kill me on multiple occasions.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

So basically if you'd already gotten to ending D and had your saves erased, you're going to have a pretty tough time trying to play the DLC off a fresh file? Ouch.

That just makes me want to put off ending D forever

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, I definitely couldn't imagine tackling this at like Level 10 or 20 or something. Almost all the enemies are fully armored and some are even more armored than the usual armored shades (I.e. the new "double armored" sword shade) and without guard break or a powerful weapon you're going to be pinking away at them for awhile.

However for those trying to get "Man of Means", the very last nightmare awards 50,000 gold every time you complete it.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Policenaut posted:

At Level 56, this DLC managed to nearly kill me on multiple occasions.

Cool, I felt like my second run through the game was very easy. It'll be nice for the game to have some challenge again.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
It's pretty telling how lovely Drakengard 2 was when Nier makes a far better sequel while having only the most reaching connections to the previous series. I much prefer Caim and Red getting blown up by a jet resulting in the apocalypse of another dimension rather than...getting killed in a lame boss fight by faggy anime kid #17772.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So not to turn this into a Drakengard thread, but I never actually played those games because I heard they were quite sub-par. Should I actually look into finding a copy of them to play through?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

No. Read The Dark Id's LP if you want to see what happened.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Xythar posted:

No. Read The Dark Id's LP if you want to see what happened.

It's quite awesome. Dark Id puts a shine on that turd of a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man. I kind of am curious about the DLC plot stuff, but not curious enough to play through the game again to get to the point where I can.Any chance you'd mind summarizing it, Policenaut?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 12, 2010

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Please explain further

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007
Not sure if this has been said already, but Nier is £14.98 on http://www.game.co.uk/clearance right now. Spent my points and got it for £7.48 :)

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Got Ending A last night, here's a dumb question: do you get the same Gestalt documents again from Devola and Popola next time round? Or are there any screenshots or transcripts online where I won't get the other endings spoiled? I forgot to read them in all the excitement!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Man. I kind of am curious about the DLC plot stuff, but not curious enough to play through the game again to get to the point where I can level that far.Any chance you'd mind summarizing it, Policenaut?

Recycled Vessel's difficulty mainly lies with the armored dues and the bullet hell it brings. There are times when it decides to put you in small rooms with 6 armored Shaman Shades and goes "Good luck!" It gives you plenty of healing items fortunately, it's just about being careful.

Anyway, here's the gist of the DLC. I didn't want a black monolith of spoiler tags and since it doesn't explicitly spoil anything current in the plot. The "Nightmare" quotes will be spoilered because some of them could be interpreted to major plot points.

Nier takes a break to check out his wife's diary, Weiss and him talk about the good ol' days and mentions that his wife died of the Black Scrawl. Her diary recorded these events and the later pages are, in Nier's words, "weird". To try and make sense of what these pages mean, Weiss and Nier decide to read them. At this point, we're transported from the village to a world of infinite white space called "The World of Recycled Vessel" and we're Nier in his early days (in his Part Two costume no less!)

There are two doors, the one behind Nier leads out and the one ahead begins the mindtrip that is the World. The World takes shape based on enemies and environments throughout the game but twists them to its own goals, the colours are all out of whack and make you think something's incredibly wrong. The music is all techno remixed or hard rock too. These stages are called the "Nightmares" of the World. Each one gives Nier a strange quote when completed.

There is no rhyme or reason to any of the progression in the World. One minute nier is shooting off bats in Facade and the next he's in the Junk Heap. The monsters are much stronger and come in new varieties but some of the locales are new to him. Every 5 Nightmares defeated adds a new door to the infinite white space, which opens the next 5 Nightmares. Upon completing the final 15th Nightmare, the two finish reading the diary and Weiss is as confused as Nier as to what it all means. This is where the DLC Diary event ends.

In all honesty, the current story with Nier and Yonah isn't expanded at all with the World of Recycled Vessel. It's the backstory involving the end of the world which receives the fleshing out. Just because I'm bored and pepped up on Pepsi, I figured I'd replay the entire thing and write out these lines. They're timed and I have no way to stop the event so I had to type them out as fast as possible, so I might have gotten a word or two wrong. Sorry!

Nightmare 1: "This is the world of recycled vessel, created to prevent the destruction of all."

Nightmare 2: "The Black Scrawl, a lost destiny, a white book, a false truth."

Nightmare 3: "A soldier of salt calling forth white death. He is Legion, the man who plunged the world into darkness."

Nightmare 4: "The dragon's corpse brought death to the world, delivering unto it the power of the devil."

Nightmare 5: "The black sickness stains the future. They journey to return to soulless vessels."

Nightmare 6: "The apocalypse divided the world in two: one that knows not day, and one that has never seen night."

Nightmare 7: "Black and White, Thirteen Pacts, the vessels forms' waver as they cross time and space."

Nightmare 8: "The song of man has been drowned out. In it's place, the scream of something inhuman."

Nightmare 9: "The sky falls with the dragon. The world ends this day."

Nightmare 10: "The puppet priest collects the accursed prayers and polishes the vessel."

Nightmare 11: "As long as this memory exists. As long as mankind has hope. A bloody battle will be waged over the holy domain of the body."

Nightmare 12: "Foolish human. Foolish human. Foolish human. Foolish vessel."

Nightmare 13: "All is paid. All is sacrifice."

Nightmare 14: "Do not bring back the light. Do not bring back the vessel. Do not bring back the future. Do not bring it back."

Nightmare 15: "Every beam of light is an invitation to death."

Lots to interpret there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Why is the DLC not out yet on the Euro/AU PSN store this is bullshit :argh:

I think we're stuck still updating on Thursday while the US moved to Tuesday, what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Tempo 119 posted:

Got Ending A last night, here's a dumb question: do you get the same Gestalt documents again from Devola and Popola next time round? Or are there any screenshots or transcripts online where I won't get the other endings spoiled? I forgot to read them in all the excitement!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_1_1.png
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_1_2.png

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_2_1.png
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_2_2.png

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_3_1.png
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_3_2.png

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_4_1.png
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/Unknown_PC/PS3/Nier/PG_4_2.png

• Locked thread