Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

I played the beta of the 8-bit version of Mega Man 8 the last couple days. It still needs work but it's interesting so far.
Man, seeing this thing in action really drives home how lousy the level design in Mega Man 8 was. The stages don't really feel like they belong in the Mega Man classic series at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
So, Capcom has apparently trademarked the name "Mega Man Universe." This could end up being absolutely nothing, but from the sound of the title I'm hoping it turns out to be the oft-requested crossover MM fighting game. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be some crappy MMO.

IXCE
Nov 27, 2007

It's time to take naps and eat yum yum...and I'm all outta yum.
There has been recent interviews with Seth Killian and Mega Man creator Infuane about new Mega Man projects. Infuane metioned that he wants to do something Mega Man X related before doing a real MMX9 sequel.

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2010/04/next-mega-man-x-wont-be-x9-says-inafune.html

Then Seth mentioned that there is a new Mega Man project happening:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=121696

quote:

"It's good. I don't want to say nobody has seen it coming. Somebody may have seen it coming. But it excited me and when I heard about the project, I was like, 'Holy crap. That's rad.' I actually haven't seen anything that's going on with the project right now but the idea was exciting. This is still kicking around as a concept. But there are exciting ideas in the Mega Man space."

I really hope its Mega Man Legends 3.

IXCE fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 28, 2010

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I just dug up some Mega Man fan fiction I wrote in school over 13 years ago.

Cover Page
Page 1
Page 2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I used to doodle page after page of Robot Masters with various bits of hardware for arms/heads/torsos fighting Megaman, most commonly Chainsaw Man and Rotary Saw Man, and something Drill Man(even though there was already a Drill Man). I would also trace the Robot Masters from the instruction manuals for people for 2 dollars in 2nd grade. Ah, memories. :allears:

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I have no idea how many Mega Man games I drew on paper (levels, weapons, everything) and sent to Nintendo. All with original robot masters, of course.

Ah, to have all that free time again.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009
Pretty sure I made up a bunch of Maverick bosses like "Blazing Barracuda" and "Colobus Monkey Machete" back in the day. I also made up a MegaMan Y which looked about as bad as it sounds.(It was basically just MegaMan X with different armor) Hopefully I can uncover these soon, I know they're lying around somewhere.

Orcasword fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 30, 2010

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Mega Man Y is only focused on material things, thinks rock music is dead, and doesn't know poo poo about Scooby Doo canon. :colbert:

EDIT: I had my own fan fiction comic going on around the age of 14 or so. I'm no artist. I never even considered the thought of being a professional, but I did enjoy drawing. My MMX comic was drawn on blank white paper and always done in pen. It was high on action and technical discussion. ("X, My armor's down to 18 percent! You'll have to take this guy.") I incorporated themes like being unappreciated and eventually acknowledging one's worth.

Also, I unknowingly included the classic "hero's journey." Hero is naive, is betrayed, is mentored, dies, is reborn and ultimately wins the battle. It was still cliche and campy as hell though; I won't deny it.

I did the same thing for Wing Commander and it's spin off Privateer, and I always drew this ship cause it's bad rear end (and easy to draw). Thaose series had a lot of cloning in it. I was always fascinated with man (literally) facing himself. Basically, at the age of 14 I would have loved Star Trek nemesis and Metal Gear Solid. They both had lots of unnecessary technical detail and explodies.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 30, 2010

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Captain Invictus posted:

I used to doodle page after page of Robot Masters with various bits of hardware for arms/heads/torsos fighting Megaman, most commonly Chainsaw Man and Rotary Saw Man, and something Drill Man(even though there was already a Drill Man). I would also trace the Robot Masters from the instruction manuals for people for 2 dollars in 2nd grade. Ah, memories. :allears:

Chainsaw Man actually sounds like it would be pretty loving awesome.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
^ Yeah actually that one is pretty good. It would also be one of the more functional robots as far as recent additions go.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Orcasword posted:

Pretty sure I made up a bunch of Maverick bosses like "Blazing Barracuda" and "Colobus Monkey Machete" back in the day. I also made up a MegaMan Y which looked about as bad as it sounds.(It was basically just MegaMan X with different armor) Hopefully I can uncover these soon, I know they're lying around somewhere.

Blazing Barracuda would actually be pretty loving awesome, I bet his battle involves him diving into magma and you'd get a weapon that shoots flaming lava with vicious splash damage.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
I own Mega Man X6 and the Mega Man X Collection but if you told me Blazing Barracuda was in X5 or X6 I would believe you.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

I own Mega Man X6 and the Mega Man X Collection but if you told me Blazing Barracuda was in X5 or X6 I would believe you.

That's because the mavericks in X6 are so forgettable.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Orcasword posted:

Oh come now, who can forget the likes of INFINITY MIJINION? :allears:

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!
BAMBOO PANDAMONIUM

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!
I have no way of proving this and it breaks my heart, and you probably won't believe me, but I created characters for Mega Man V. Really boring, Proto Man castle bosses.

I was about 10 years old, Nintendo Power had a contest involving people sending in boss ideas and artwork to potentially be included in Mega Man V. I scribbled down 8 horrible drawing and wrote descriptions of all their powers and then probably forgot all about it, until I got a letter from Nintendo telling me I was one of their top artists.

Me, being an absolute retard, thoughtlessly threw the only evidence I ever had away.

Anyway, the tank boss at the end of Proto Man stage one and the jumpy-freeze-you-and-shoot-the-gently caress-out-of-you Proto Man stage 3 boss are both mine. I also included my own version of Stone Man, but mine was nothing like the one included in the final game so I assume they used someone else's.

They did kinda screw up my ideas though. For instance, the tank boss was supposed to spawn smaller tanks which would climb the walls and ceiling, circling the room and blasting you from all directions. The Stage 3 boss was just about spot on though.

Again, no proof, believe me or not, but I made that poo poo.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/05/11/rumor-is-this-mega-man-online/

So, Mega Man Online, anyone? I'm not really sure how that would even work.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Czar Like Stick posted:

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/05/11/rumor-is-this-mega-man-online/

So, Mega Man Online, anyone? I'm not really sure how that would even work.

Looks like it's based on the X series. Korean too, so get ready to make a lovely generic hunter from all of three faces and two body types! Marvel as you grind on metools for 30 levels before the game's horrible PvP gimmick finally rears its ugly head! Piss yourself in excitement at the rigid controls! Tremble in awe as shoddy netcode allows you to skate along the ground like Gumby!

Just write this one off, people. Forget it exists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cry IT SUCKS and let slip the fanboys of war

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

Orcasword posted:

Right off the top of my head there was a scarab maverick who pushed a big ball of robot crap around. Other than that, all I can remember are the frustrating stages. "You think you hate the trash compactor stage? Now try the stage where you have to beat the doughnut thing over and over!!"

Dypsymphuliac posted:

jumpy-freeze-you-and-shoot-the-gently caress-out-of-you Proto Man stage 3 boss [is] mine.

You jerk! :argh: I used to use charge kick against him because if he froze you he might land on your feet and get hurt. Might.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Orcasword posted:

X5 is easier what with the whole stupid "Guns 'n' Roses" thing.

Still.

THE SKIVER.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Orcasword posted:

Rainy Turtloid is the smuggest maverick

Boxman posted:

X5 is easier what with the whole stupid "Guns 'n' Roses" thing.

Still.

THE SKIVER.

Axl the Red is a much better name than Spike Rosered, you have to admit.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hobo Siege posted:

Looks like it's based on the X series. Korean too, so get ready to make a lovely generic hunter from all of three faces and two body types! Marvel as you grind on metools for 30 levels before the game's horrible PvP gimmick finally rears its ugly head! Piss yourself in excitement at the rigid controls! Tremble in awe as shoddy netcode allows you to skate along the ground like Gumby!

Just write this one off, people. Forget it exists.

If it weren't being done by a Korean company I would say this could be great. Imagine a Mega Man game with the multiplayer mechanics of New Super Mario Brothers Wii and the online style of Diablo/2. Oh well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Drox posted:

If it weren't being done by a Korean company I would say this could be great. Imagine a Mega Man game with the multiplayer mechanics of New Super Mario Brothers Wii and the online style of Diablo/2. Oh well.

Just give me Megaman 2.5D, that's all I really want.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Quick question; what sort of animal was Boomer Kuwanger supposed to be based on? Not knowing bugs the hell out of me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Thrill Cosby posted:

Quick question; what sort of animal was Boomer Kuwanger supposed to be based on? Not knowing bugs the hell out of me.

A stag beetle, which is "kuwagata" in Japanese.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Thanks, I remember playing that when I was younger and asking myself "what the gently caress is a kuwanger?"

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Right off the top of my head there was a scarab maverick who pushed a big ball of robot crap around. Other than that, all I can remember are the frustrating stages. "You think you hate the trash compactor stage? Now try the stage where you have to beat the doughnut thing over and over!!"

You jerk! :argh: I used to use charge kick against him because if he froze you he might land on your feet and get hurt. Might.

I can remember the bosses, but not much about their fights because they were loving boring. Seriously, nothing can make a clam, a dragonfly, or a waterflea boss remotely interesting.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009
I need this figure.

Dypsymphuliac posted:

I have no way of proving this and it breaks my heart, and you probably won't believe me, but I created characters for Mega Man V. Really boring, Proto Man castle bosses.

I was about 10 years old, Nintendo Power had a contest involving people sending in boss ideas and artwork to potentially be included in Mega Man V. I scribbled down 8 horrible drawing and wrote descriptions of all their powers and then probably forgot all about it, until I got a letter from Nintendo telling me I was one of their top artists.

Me, being an absolute retard, thoughtlessly threw the only evidence I ever had away.

Anyway, the tank boss at the end of Proto Man stage one and the jumpy-freeze-you-and-shoot-the-gently caress-out-of-you Proto Man stage 3 boss are both mine. I also included my own version of Stone Man, but mine was nothing like the one included in the final game so I assume they used someone else's.

They did kinda screw up my ideas though. For instance, the tank boss was supposed to spawn smaller tanks which would climb the walls and ceiling, circling the room and blasting you from all directions. The Stage 3 boss was just about spot on though.

Again, no proof, believe me or not, but I made that poo poo.

Pretty sure Nintendo Power or anyone in America wasn't able to submit ideas for MegaMan bosses until 6, and 6 was actually the only case where american fans could enter. (Wind Man and Knight Man were designed by american kids) Also, the contests in general only applied to creating robot masters, not the fortress bosses.

...but hey I could be completely wrong.

Orcasword fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 15, 2010

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Off to see the the Mega Man Movie in downtown DC, trip report to follow.

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!

Orcasword posted:

Pretty sure Nintendo Power or anyone in America wasn't able to submit ideas for MegaMan bosses until 6, and 6 was actually the only case where american fans could enter.

I wish I could find a Nintendo Power archive, but it's not working out for me. But if memory serves correctly, the robot master drawings which didn't make it into Mega Man 5 were included in the same issue that covered Mega Man 5 that month(it was some huge Mega Man event).

I had received my letter from Nintendo Power long before the release of that issue, which was a pretty basic, "Our top selections include some of your designs which may or may not be used in future games, etc etc."

Also, when I submitted my designs I had done so assuming they would be robot masters. I hadn't sent any in for any other purpose, except I did include one crappy end-boss idea, which isn't something asked for in the contest.

What happens after all of this is either, by complete coincidence, Mega Man 5 included one Proto Man stage boss which was the exact some design as I had submitted and another Proto Man stage boss which was incredibly similar to one I had submitted. Or, which I have assumed for years, they used my robot master designs, which weren't good enough to make the main 8, as fodder for Proto Man stage bosses.

It could be complete coincidence, but I am fairly certain I just got ripped off.

Also, Capcom has used designs from that same contest for other Mega Man games. In particular, I know they used someone else's design for Blade Man in 10, and possibly Hornet Man in 9 from that same stock that appeared in Nintendo Power way back when. I have no idea whether they got any credit.

Also, I am fully aware that the longer I go on about this the more I sound like a crazy person.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Dypsymphuliac posted:

What happens after all of this is either, by complete coincidence, Mega Man 5 included one Proto Man stage boss which was the exact some design as I had submitted and another Proto Man stage boss which was incredibly similar to one I had submitted. Or, which I have assumed for years, they used my robot master designs, which weren't good enough to make the main 8, as fodder for Proto Man stage bosses.

So basically what you're saying is you created Dark Man?

Dypsymphuliac posted:

Also, Capcom has used designs from that same contest for other Mega Man games. In particular, I know they used someone else's design for Blade Man in 10, and possibly Hornet Man in 9 from that same stock that appeared in Nintendo Power way back when. I have no idea whether they got any credit.
I think that was just coincidence, those were entered to Nintendo Power so long ago I doubt Capcom of Japan kept a bunch of american kids' entries on file from the early 90's when designing the new 9 and 10 robot masters.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Orcasword posted:

I think that was just coincidence, those were entered to Nintendo Power so long ago I doubt Capcom of Japan kept a bunch of american kids' entries on file from the early 90's when designing the new 9 and 10 robot masters.

Yes, they just happened to use the same name, color and design as a coincidence
Blade Man MM10
Blade Man Nintendo Power Submission

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Orcasword posted:

I need this figure.

Pretty sure Nintendo Power or anyone in America wasn't able to submit ideas for MegaMan bosses until 6, and 6 was actually the only case where american fans could enter. (Wind Man and Knight Man were designed by american kids) Also, the contests in general only applied to creating robot masters, not the fortress bosses.

...but hey I could be completely wrong.

If I remember correctly, the manual for Megaman 1 had an address where you could send your robot ideas to the Mega Man Robot Naming Committee.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

Yes, they just happened to use the same name, color and design as a coincidence
Blade Man MM10
Blade Man Nintendo Power Submission

A guy with a knife taped to his face is not the same thing as a robot with a sword for a head.

There are 7 billion people on the planet. Occasionally two of them have similar ideas. I used to have notepads with robot master doodles that ended up being remarkably similar to bosses that showed up in later games, but that doesn't mean Capcom used black ops corporate espionage to steal my unpublished ideas. Or does it? :tinfoil:

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

A guy with a knife taped to his face is not the same thing as a robot with a sword for a head.

There are 7 billion people on the planet. Occasionally two of them have similar ideas. I used to have notepads with robot master doodles that ended up being remarkably similar to bosses that showed up in later games, but that doesn't mean Capcom used black ops corporate espionage to steal my unpublished ideas. Or does it? :tinfoil:

Yeah, thank you. I've seen the Blade Man kid's drawing for the MegaMan 6 contest and the official MegaMan 10 Blade Man and just the fact he has a blade on his head and is purple doesn't mean Capcom couldn't think it up on their own. Also the kid's Blade Man has a monkey face whereas the real Blade Man is so badass his whole FACE is a blade.

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yes, a conspiracy is crazy, but it does not strike me as at all unlikely that game developers encouraging players to send in ideas would keep a bunch around to use as they see fit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Nintendo knew what they were doing. Telling kids "Hey! YOU can design the next robot masters for MEGA MAN!" was like blood in the water for every elementary school kid. I have the artistic skills of Michael J Fox on a paint shaker, and even I was dreaming up characters.

It's funny that people don't want to believe that Nintendo could possibly have kept some of the more popular designs in a folder somewhere to be dug out at a later date. DC comics had a similar practice for the Legion of Super Heroes and Dial H for H.E.R.O.

No loving way they decided to make a Blade Man exactly like the one that kid submitted. How often do you remember seeing a purple robot master anyways? I also think Clown Man from Mega Man 8 was from that same contest. That issue of Nintendo Power rocked my little world, and it's awesome that a goon had a design used. It's a good practice for Nintendo because it saves them the trouble of coming up with their own designs, hoping that kids will like them, and it makes the fans feel closer to the people who make the games.

I'm surprised that the Pokemon Company hasn't tried something similar.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Die Laughing posted:

It's funny that people don't want to believe that Nintendo could possibly have kept some of the more popular designs in a folder somewhere to be dug out at a later date.

The possibility exists, yeah, but c'mon--it's not like robot masters are hard to make up. Look: we'd already seen Drill Man = guy with drills for arms and a drill for a head*. What's so hard to believe about someone independently coming up with Blade Man = guy with swords for his arms and head?

I mean, what the hell. The "trouble of coming up with their own designs?" So, what, they're saving themselves 5 minutes with a pencil and a napkin?

*I totally had doodles of a "Drill Man" concept that had exactly this design long before I had seen any info on MM4. Mine was even red. RED. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I think I made a few dozen robot masters complete with their own level maps.

I can only remember one, though, Jet Man. He had some rad jet wings.