Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Is "Love" considered an underrated song? I always rock the gently caress out to that song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
"Thru The Eyes of Ruby" is pretty amazing, probably my favorite song on MCIS.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Casting my vote for "X.Y.U.". People poo poo on it for the dumbness of some (many) of the lyrics, and the various rat-tat-tats and whatnot, but you can feel how wounded and angry Billy was when he wrote it, and the way it picks up speed at the end before culminating in that feral, incoherent, desperate scream- it's chilling.

Also, "Appels + Oranjes" from Adore, because it's got such a great, breezy electronic sound that helps to break up the oppressive darkness and gloom of the rest of the album.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While it's known that Jimmy is a really good loving drummer, listen to his work on (gently caress you) An Ode to No One. I've heard that track so many times, I, like most of you, probably, could listen to it mentally from start to finish, but man oh man, the other day it was on, and I just paid attention to the drums. Holy gently caress, it's perfect.

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While it's known that Jimmy is a really good loving drummer, listen to his work on (gently caress you) An Ode to No One. I've heard that track so many times, I, like most of you, probably, could listen to it mentally from start to finish, but man oh man, the other day it was on, and I just paid attention to the drums. Holy gently caress, it's perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoUVCMx7RWM

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
"Galapagos" is the correct answer to the most underrated Pumpkins song. How that didn't become a single is a mystery to me.

Matteo44
May 18, 2004

an oddly awful oud posted:

Also, "Appels + Oranjes" from Adore, because it's got such a great, breezy electronic sound that helps to break up the oppressive darkness and gloom of the rest of the album.

I agree this is easily one of the strongest songs off of Adore and just a great song in general. But I've always been a fan of Adore even though I realize why a lot of people may be turned off by it.

Seconding the praise for Galapagos and Thru The Eyes of Ruby. Both fantastic and underrated probably. I remember both of those songs being among my favorites on my fist listen of Mellon Collie and that hasn't changed at all even though I'm 10 years older and not in high school anymore.

Matteo44 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 12, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was hoping this was the video I thought it was by looking at the screenshot.

Such a wall of sound.

EDIT: I remember, back when I was first getting into 'today's music' (circa 94 or so), the pumpkins were my 2nd band that I really dug. The first?

Green Day. Yes, when everyone else was in love with them after Dookie came out. But I really, really was into them, had everything they did, and loved it all, until Nimrod, but that's another story.

Anyway, I remember Billie Joe and Billy trading insults back and forth, and it felt like my musical parents were fighting or something. These two groups I, at the time, looked up to couldn't get along. At the end, reading article after article on the pumpkins brought me over to that side. Well, that and Nimrod being released.

Does anyone else remember this?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 12, 2010

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Does Spaceboy count as an underrated song? I only got into the band around the time Adore come out and it was one of the first songs I loved that friends hadn't talked about.

Echoing the thoughts that Galapagos is a beautiful song. In fact I think it's the first part of the most under-rated/mentioned trifecta in their discography. Muzzle and Porcelina of the Vast Oceans fill out an incredible 18 minutes.

Never understood why Thru the Eyes of Ruby wasn't held in similar regard to Silverfuck, Starla, and other fanatstic "long" songs. Way back in the day when I was trying to trim the double-album into one 78~ minute CD I'd always use it as the closing track, it just seemed so perfectly placed.

I of the Mourning is lyrically suspect, but was one of few post-Adore songs that felt like it would have had a place in earlier albums. Builds up into a lovely crescendo of noise.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Underrated song? Pretty much everything off Machina in my opinion. I think it's a real shame that so many people poo poo on that album, and a tragedy that it didn't get to be the double album epic that Billy wanted it to be :sigh:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Jellybelly and Here is No Why are two tracks that I feel I'm the only person who still hums from time to time.

poo poo, I'd completely forgotten Jellybelly existed- That and Zero were my top two angsty teen jams. Yeah, I'd definatley say that JB is an underlooked gem.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

'Medellia of the Grey Skies' is underrated, though probably because most people haven't heard it. Fantastic song. The fact that stuff like this was dropped onto a b-side is tragic when you listen to the new tracks. Especially with how well mixed in the vocals are versus what we have now. Sigh.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

kalensc posted:

Echoing the thoughts that Galapagos is a beautiful song. In fact I think it's the first part of the most under-rated/mentioned trifecta in their discography. Muzzle and Porcelina of the Vast Oceans fill out an incredible 18 minutes.

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans has always been my favorite Pumpkins song and no one ever mentions it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

azechiel posted:

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans has always been my favorite Pumpkins song and no one ever mentions it.

One of my favourites as well. I love the long, epic ones.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, the new bassist has been announced - Nicole Fiorentino

here's the press release - http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pressrelease_20100510.php

Picture of her is on main site.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
Ah yes, a new gothycakes female bassist. If one thing stays consistent about Billy, it's that fetish.

Voting in for "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans" as the best Pumpkins track, but also voicing my love for "Jupiter's Lament." I put it on an acoustic mix for a friend, and he reacted with "How the hell did you pick that out of all the possible acoustic Pumpkins numbers?" To which I responded, "It sounds like he's improvising, and if so, he's doing it better here than any other track."

e: Oh yeah, and "Here Is No Why." How that was never a single...

e2: Christ, and "Transformer." Although everybody likes it. Let's say "Porcelina" for best album track, "Thirty-Three" for best single, and "Transformer" for best b-side.

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 13, 2010

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I liked all of the crazy B-sides that came out of the Melon Collie sessions. Those were really really great singles, like little EP's with a thematically cohesive set of songs. Cherry, Ugly, Set the Ray to Jerry, God off the top of my head, and I'm not even a huge smashing pumpkins fan, I bought (pirated) those albums like a decade ago when I was in junior high.

Billy Corgan was absurdly prolific.

edit: really, when you consider the sheer volume of music and variety of genres, I can understand why Billy Corgan has an ego. The guy was kind of amazing.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I guess. But I don't think anything excuses a behemoth ego like that. No matter how talented.

or maybe modesty is just a lie I've been living my whole life :o

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Billy is seriously creeping me out with the whole female bassist fetish.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Wow the new single has actually sold out, I was thinking of ordering it for funsies to make fun of one of my friends who is a diehard pumpkin fanatic. Who knew there would be enough people out there to buy them all, perhaps they are all joke purchases too, or maybe Billy only had 50 made. The new bassist is par for the course, she will probably leave in a year or so.

Awesomesauce
Nov 13, 2006

6 parts robot
1 part turtle
Salt and pepper to taste

I can't watch this at work, what does he say about it?

He bought a little instrument in an antique shop or someshit, and the band said it was useless. To prove them wrong, he wrote a song using said instrument, and those are the *shwiiiing* sounds you hear in every bar of We Only Come Out at Night.

LOL @ new bassist.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Awesomesauce posted:

He bought a little instrument in an antique shop or someshit, and the band said it was useless. To prove them wrong, he wrote a song using said instrument, and those are the *shwiiiing* sounds you hear in every bar of We Only Come Out at Night.

Was it an autoharp? That's what I've always assumed that sound was.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The most underrated song(s) is every one on Adore and Machina

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Captain Charisma posted:

The most underrated song(s) is every one on Adore and Machina

Really? I hear tons and tons of people champion Adore as their favorite album as if they were in some tiny minority.

I love 80% of Adore but some songs are like New Order lite to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't stand The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete, whatever song starts off with 'Mother, I am tired' (Once upon a time?) and Shame.

Aside from that, the album is great.

CrowT.Robot
Aug 31, 2004

"That's where I almost lost my virginity!

I can't stand The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete, whatever song starts off with 'Mother, I am tired' (Once upon a time?) and Shame.

Aside from that, the album is great.

That's Once Upon A Time, dislike the music of the song or not, but the sentiment of it is pretty moving to me - trying to still make a parent proud, especially since they passed away.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
"The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete" was my least-favorite Pumpkins song ever once. Now it's one of the top 20 I listen to most often.

"Annie-Dog" is still poo poo though.

brrrger
Feb 4, 2006
Annie Dog is my favorite song from Adore, out of the only three good songs on the entire album. I also really like almost everything from Zeitgeist while Song For A Son is the only song I like so far from Teargarden, although it is the best song they've (he's) recorded sing the Mellon Collie album, in my opinion.

Tonight, Tonight is still the best Smashing Pumpkins song though.

Calvin Camus
Apr 7, 2005

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
not enough love for "Untitled" in this thread

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

brrrger posted:

Tonight, Tonight is still the best Smashing Pumpkins song though.
I especially love the acoustic reprise version from the single/Aeroplane box set. It was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deceiver posted:

I 100% agree. I find it's the perfect song if you need to put it to a video of people doing stuff behind the scenes of stuff (like a 'making of' montage). And oddly enough, I felt this way before I saw the video. Was weirded out when I saw that they were doing pretty much just that.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Deceiver posted:

I remember when it was pretty much supposed to be the "last song" ever done under the Pumpkins name. The whole farewell thing.

Awesomesauce
Nov 13, 2006

6 parts robot
1 part turtle
Salt and pepper to taste

Von Dozier posted:

I remember when it was pretty much supposed to be the "last song" ever done under the Pumpkins name. The whole farewell thing.

Those were the days...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What a high note to end off with.

And then Zwan :smith:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
My biggest problem with Adore is that a friend lent my a VCR of their Australian live secret show during that tour, and I remember them doing live versions of like half the songs that just blew the album versions away. I think they had Matt Chamberlin + another drummer at the time filling in for Jimmy.

I watched that video so loving much and have never been able to find the footage again :(

edit: oh yeah wrong matt

edit2: This is the show - http://www.livepumpkins.net/audio/1998-06-19_sydney_australia/
Listening to BWBW brings back memories..
(If that counts as files I'll take the link down)

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 18, 2010

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Matt Walker was the fill in. He's the drummer for Filter and total badass during the MCIS tour.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone ever hear 'Alabaster'? I really wish there was a better quality version somewhere.

http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1989-04-30

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Anyone ever hear 'Alabaster'? I really wish there was a better quality version somewhere.

http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1989-04-30

That's better quality than the version I have (which I think is the same show). I'd say you're out of luck looking for any better than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shame it was never on a Gish/SD b-side or anything. Seems like it could be another 'awesome long Pumpkins song'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Yeah there's a number of old songs from live shows and demo tapes which I imagine would have worked up into really nice B-sides. I made a CD with a bunch of them on there for friends in high school who also liked the pumpkins :shobon:

I'm glad I still have a copy, lost all the digital copies a while back. A lot of them aren't that great but it brings back memories anyway.

shpladoinkle posted:

But I have real love for "Snail" on Gish, and I don't see that ever brought up anywhere.

I love Snail :)

I've always felt there's something more upbeat about it that helps it stand out on Gish.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 19, 2010

• Locked thread