Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

The Need For Speed series (EA)
What I wouldn't do to get a playable version of Porche Unleashed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

BigJoe posted:

Yeah, I was specifically talking about their pre-Underground series (The Need for Speed SE, The Need for Speed II SE, Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: High Stakes, and Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed) when it was more about racing awesome Road & Track sports cars and less about EA ruining the series with the lame street racing and rap soundtrack BS.

I have fond memories of bringing home The Need for Speed: Special Edition and it being too slow for my PC, until I upgraded to a so-fast-it-melted-your-GOD-drat-FACE-OFF Pentium 266. :3:

Ahhh, those were the days. :unsmith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I've never played an ultima game in my life. Huh, go figure.

They also need Rocket Jockey.

That store had a copy of NOX in the box, sealed for like 9.99

Shadow Warrior for the MAC for 18.99

Strange place that Korean used game store next to a pep boys.

Ultima 7 was probably the pinnacle of the series. Amazon marketplace has Ultima 7 Complete for $10 used, but obviously will be missing the original box and manual and junk). You can install Exult, a cool fan-made open source engine that works on modern systems. Ultima 7 is probably one of the best 2D isometric RPGs ever made.

I only suggest going to amazon because it's pretty apparent that EA will never put a single thing up on GoG.

In other good news, typing this post made me go over to the exult site, and holy poo poo there's actually active development! Some enterprising fellow for a little while has been slowly plucking away at the source code fixing bugs and implementing features. The latest CVS snapshop for windows is from just april 29th.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 12, 2010

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dominic White posted:

It's a pretty good hack n' slash adventure by the guys who went on to make Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness. I also recall reading somewhere that it had really good multiplayer - perhaps this'll see it getting a revival of sorts?
I love that if you play as the Goblin class in Enclave you get to hear him cuss in swedish all the time.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BigJoe posted:

This is literally the only Need For Speed game I've played for a total of more than a few minutes, and I loved it so much. In EU it was called "NFS: Porsche 2000" for some reason.

The Porsche test driver career mode was awesome as hell. I would probably buy it again although the graphics look less than stellar by now.

edit: :gonk: Oh god.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

That poo poo looked so good back in the day. Now, not so much.

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 12, 2010

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Looks like Mark Morgan remastered the original Fallout 1+2 soundtracks:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/05/11/atomic-fallout-music-remastered/

He's givin' 'em away. Genuine class. No more listening to the original converted ACMs for me, or sittin' in the dirt at the drive ins.

...And the site's witholding downloads for now. Can anyone provide a reliable mirror?
This is wonderful, crossposting it in the New Vegas thread too. Thank you for pointing this out.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

OptimusShr posted:

NEW GAME RELEASED: Enclave is now available for %5.99

Huh, cool.

This game is often mentioned as a kind of proto-Demon's Souls on the PC, along with Severance:Blade of Darkness and the Gothic/Risen games.

I tried it out and thought it was OK, but the combat is really floaty, which I found off-putting. Basically physics and collision detection feel really "off."

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Placebo posted:

Still have the box and disk for this game.

Best atmosphere in any point and click ever imo. Gave off such a creepy vibe.

I need to play it again, gently caress.

It works for me under Win7 x64 if you set it to Win95 compatibility and 256 colors. I'd just really enjoy a version that doesn't have to stream data from the CD, since those loading times are a pain in the rear end. And maybe with remastered video or something, but that's probably too much to ask.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

AxeManiac posted:

That store had a copy of NOX in the box, sealed for like 9.99

I'd love to see Nox on GOG. Of the bunch of diablo clones that came out in the 90's Nox was easily my favorite. I remember the story being a little strange but the multiplayer was a blast. Some of my fondest gaming memories are using the warrior's charge ability to smash my friends to pieces.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

More classic poo poo I want on GoG in the near future since I'm nerding out over my want list over here:

• Plane Crazy (SegaSoft)

That one go me thinking, I still have the original, does anyone know if it would work on XP with DosBox?
I have it installed on a virtual machine, but when I upgraded my graphics drivers the last time virtual hardware acceleration was disabled, making it impossible to play :(

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Horn posted:

I'd love to see Nox on GOG. Of the bunch of diablo clones that came out in the 90's Nox was easily my favorite. I remember the story being a little strange but the multiplayer was a blast. Some of my fondest gaming memories are using the warrior's charge ability to smash my friends to pieces.

I know I've said this before, but I'd really rather they balanced the Wizard a bit better in multiplayer if they did decide to release Nox. Neither of the other two classes had a chance against a reasonably skilled Wizard using Shield-Haste-Invisible-Magic Missile spam.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

AxeManiac posted:

I've never played an ultima game in my life. Huh, go figure.

Man, that is a Sad Thing. I still have the cloth maps for Ultima 4, the best game ever. It took a very long time before all of the 'morality and consequences' games eventually started coming out, but Ultima 4 was probably the first. You could do so much in this simple old game that would effect each of the 8 virtues you were trying to become an exemplar for, bringing hope again to the kingdom. loving awesome. And the symmetry of all of the virtues/anti-virtues, dungeons and towns, etc. The coin that came with the game (still have) that ends up symbolizing the 8 virtues and how they interact with the three principles, etc. That game is the reason I play games.

Man.

:(

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
If you only play one Ultima game, make it 7.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

If you only play two Ultima games, make it 7.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Enclave was awesome stupid fun. I remember playing the demo when it was newer and my parents wouldn't let me buy it because it was M. It's not particularly deep but it's an awesome hack & slash.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Serious Michael posted:

Enclave was awesome stupid fun. I remember playing the demo when it was newer and my parents wouldn't let me buy it because it was M. It's not particularly deep but it's an awesome hack & slash.

It's a fun but dumb hack and slash, graphics look pretty nice maxed out too considering the game is 8 years old.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

Tangentially related, I'm currently playing Suikoden (PSX game on PSN) with no familiarity with the series, but it's evoking nostalgia from playing the SNES Final Fantasies as a kid. I kind of hate Final Fantasy as a genre/franchise now, but this is oddly compelling.

If part 2 goes up there buy it. The first one's good but the 2nd is plain awesome.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

keratas posted:

It's a fun but dumb hack and slash, graphics look pretty nice maxed out too considering the game is 8 years old.

Testament to the fact that Starbreezes staff are largely drawn from Demoscene crews. I remember when Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay came out on the original Xbox, and absolutely blew away pretty much everything else on the system in terms of graphics. Made Doom 3 look rather shabby by comparison.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Dominic White posted:

Testament to the fact that Starbreezes staff are largely drawn from Demoscene crews. I remember when Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay came out on the original Xbox, and absolutely blew away pretty much everything else on the system in terms of graphics. Made Doom 3 look rather shabby by comparison.

When Enclave first booted up, I equated the game looking great due to Starbreeze making it. Had no idea that staff from the demoscene work there. Riddick looked amazing for the time and still looks wonderful today.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

If you only play one Ultima game, make it 7.

I found an old disc with the collection on it, going to try 4, then 7.

I found a bunch of rear end old DOS games, Alley Cat, Skyroads, Apogee stuff, just amazing old games (most abandonware floppy disk games) and running it through dosbox ain't bad, but if they released packs of these old pre 486 games, I'd totally buy them.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

I found a bunch of rear end old DOS games, Alley Cat, Skyroads, Apogee stuff, just amazing old games (most abandonware floppy disk games) and running it through dosbox ain't bad, but if they released packs of these old pre 486 games, I'd totally buy them.

Alleycat probably isn't the original minigame game, but it is in my heart. Played that on my brother's IBM PS/2, gettin' shocked by electric eels...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd love to see some some old Amiga exclusive games get released on GoG. I missed out on all that since I only ever had a PC.

AxeManiac posted:

Alley Cat

:cool:

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
How is Jagged Alliance 2?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

One of, if not the greatest turn based tactical game ever made. It is incredible.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

One of, if not the greatest turn based tactical game ever made. It is incredible.

Awesome.

I am hoping for something that plays like a videogame version of a skirmish level tabletop wargame.

Necromunda: The game

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, I don't play tabletop wargames so I can't tell you exactly how close it is to those, but I think it's a different type of a tactical game. It's like X-Com but the combat is much more in-depth and tactical.

See the thread dedicated to it for more information and an awesome mod that should be installed right away: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Buy vanilla JA2 and install the 1.13 community patch. Don't bother with any of the expansions.

Also I doubt you'll find something that feels like a computerised wargame but if you do, let me know. Tactical RPGs tend to be a lot more about character development and a lot less about building an army list.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Two Worlds: Epic Edition is now on GOG for $9.99.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Blodskur posted:

Two Worlds: Epic Edition is now on GOG for $9.99.

:psyduck:

That game is out on Xbox360, how is that I don't even :psypop:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Whalley posted:

:psyduck:

That game is out on Xbox360, how is that I don't even :psypop:

Not "old" then, but is it any good?

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Not "old" then, but is it any good?

In a so bad it's good, Deadly Premonition kind of way, yes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

You probably want to use this, now also classic, U4 upgrade patch:
http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm

It adds a much nicer tile-set to the game ... and the music which was missing from the DOS port.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

TotalBiscuit posted:

In a so bad it's good, Deadly Premonition kind of way, yes.

Checking Metacritic (bleh, I know) for a consensus on Deadly Premonition, I found none.

High score: Destructoid, 100% (they loved the self-aware camp)
Low score: IGN, 20% (they hated the self-aware camp)
And the middle stated: "Meh, it's amusing."

As for Two Worlds, PC version is tolerated and the 360 averages the lowest score career console reviewers are usually willing to give: 5/10.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I played the 360 version of Two Worlds, it is one of the worst games on the planet and it is incredibly fun to play. Everything about it seems like it was made by an 8-year old with special needs. The voice acting in particular is atrocious. The gameplay is surprisingly fun but you will be shocked at how overpowered you will become. A common feature mentioned on SA is your ability to basically duct tape identical weapons together to get an even stronger one, but even without doing that I could destroy basically anything in the game after a while.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The horror of the voice acting in Two Worlds really can't be exaggerated. I laughed for the first little while and then I had to turn it off. Had a fantastic time playing, though, I'd say it's worth that price if you keep your expectations in line.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

guppy posted:

I played the 360 version of Two Worlds, it is one of the worst games on the planet and it is incredibly fun to play. Everything about it seems like it was made by an 8-year old with special needs. The voice acting in particular is atrocious. The gameplay is surprisingly fun but you will be shocked at how overpowered you will become. A common feature mentioned on SA is your ability to basically duct tape identical weapons together to get an even stronger one, but even without doing that I could destroy basically anything in the game after a while.

It wasn't zero wing but seriously the translation from German to Olde Englishe or whatever really made it awkward. I would've paid solid cash for an xbox mod to remove the dialog, but either way it's a decent game. The PC version was superior I'm told, and I think there was some modding done. There used to be a thread on these forums on it, so I'd check that out.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
People played it at the time because they were all pleasantly surprised to find out it was better than Oblivion (every game is better than Oblivion).

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Hipster Scumbag posted:

People played it at the time because they were all pleasantly surprised to find out it was better than Oblivion (every game is better than Oblivion).

Oblivion is actually a very good game once you mod out the enemy/item level scaling. (EDIT: Francesco's Mod is the one I was thinking of. I'd consider it borderline-essential if you're playing for the first time.)

That said, the decision between Oblivion and Two Worlds basically rests on whether you want a fairly serious fantasy sandbox or a completely ridiculous one.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 13, 2010

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Devil Wears Wings posted:

That said, the decision between Oblivion and Two Worlds basically rests on whether you want a fairly serious fantasy sandbox or a completely ridiculous one.

What part of Two Worlds isn't completely serious?

It rests on whether you want a fun game or a bad one that needs 8 gigs of mods to seem fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Two worlds is great if you want to spend your time collecting wizard taint and fighting ghost bears and even more puzzling ghost zombies and skeletons.