Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Cracked block = couple hundred bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Moruitelda posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1736223907.html

MY CAR WAS BABIED but it has a salvage title and the block is cracked.

DON'T BULLSHIT ME WITH YOUR LOWBALL $6,000 OFFERS for my non-running, salvage titled, 8 year old 350Z with a cracked block.

I CAN'T AFFORD TO FIX IT SINCE I DON'T HAVE A JOB BUT IT WILL ONLY BE A COUPLE OF HUNDRED to replace my engine

I'm tempted to call him and offer him $1,500 cash.

Jesus. I want some of the drugs this guy is smoking.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

deviant. posted:

Jesus. I want some of the drugs this guy is smoking.

Seriously.

Edmunds TMV puts an average condition 36,000 mile Touring 350Z at about $10,600 around here. A new VQ35 is about $3,000. Going to be a couple of grand worth of labor to install it. A salvage title takes off 10-50% of the value of the car, usually. So we're looking at it being worth, assuming nothing else is really wrong with it, between $600 and $5,000, probably between $1,500 and $2,500.

Apparently he thinks a cracked block and salvage title only take about $600 off the value of the car.

It's a great candidate for a Time Attack car or something, if you could get it off him for $1,000 or so...

Moruitelda fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 12, 2010

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Oh, my god. It gets better.

Apparently he's only had it for less than 3 months. His phone number is on an old posting on a local site.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

quote:

I have a VW R32 Replica its a GTI
year-2000
5 speed manual and new racing clutch with new timing belt.
miles- about 70,000
it has a new Greddy Turbo kit, rims, paint, window tint, exhaust
R32 bodykit
Kelly blue book price is 8000 for good condition stock! this car with mods is worth more.
Nothing wrong with this car at all. I bought it from a dealer and they did all the work.
JDM as fcuk
Looking to trade for a manual 350z or g35 coupe manual.
Send offers no low balling.. turbo itself was 2 grand and rims were 2 grand.
I only accept texts so dont email me send a text out any time and i will respond as soon as possible.

Apparently he traded his JDM-as-gently caress GTI fake R32 for a 350Z with a salvage title, blew up the engine, and now wants someone to pay him more than the trade was worth in the first place.

:monocle:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But a tube of JB weld costs what, 6 bucks?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Moruitelda posted:

Apparently he traded his JDM-as-gently caress GTI

Jerman Domestic Market?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Black88GTA posted:

WTF guys, I asked for you guys to talk me out of it. :colbert: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

I emailed about it. :sigh: Even though I have 4 cars here already and zero space for another. I will be so pissed at myself if I end up buying this

Hahaha, you are SO hosed.

Also, you should paint it up like the General Lee, but with a Union Jack on the roof.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

trouser chili posted:

Hahaha, you are SO hosed.

Also, you should paint it up like the General Lee, but in BRG with a Union Jack on the roof.

I agree with this modified statement.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Instead of "General Lee" call it the "Admiral Nelson".

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I still want to get a Chinese Car and make it the "General Tso"

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

el topo posted:

Have it play God Save the Queen from the horn.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

jandrese posted:

Have it play God Save the Queen from the horn.

Either version works.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Moruitelda posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1736223907.html

MY CAR WAS BABIED but it has a salvage title and the block is cracked.

DON'T BULLSHIT ME WITH YOUR LOWBALL $6,000 OFFERS for my non-running, salvage titled, 8 year old 350Z with a cracked block.

I CAN'T AFFORD TO FIX IT SINCE I DON'T HAVE A JOB BUT IT WILL ONLY BE A COUPLE OF HUNDRED to replace my engine

I'm tempted to call him and offer him $1,500 cash.

:eng101: 6 speed manual transmission, (not automatic)

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

:eng101: 6 speed manual transmission, (not automatic)

I wonder how useful that 6 speed manual is when the car has a cracked block and some screwed gaskets

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

el topo posted:

"Arthur Wellesley" :britain:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Black88GTA posted:

WTF guys, I asked for you guys to talk me out of it. :colbert: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

I emailed about it. :sigh: Even though I have 4 cars here already and zero space for another. I will be so pissed at myself if I end up buying this

Joooooiiiiin Uuuuuuuuss*

*Honestly, if you don't intend to toss that V12 you really are insane.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InitialDave posted:

"Arthur Wellesley" :britain:

Better yet, "John Bull".

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Joooooiiiiin Uuuuuuuuss*

*Honestly, if you don't intend to toss that V12 you really are insane.

Yep. It'll be awesome once you strip it out and put something in there that actually makes power. You know, like a modern turbocharged 4 cylinder.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Moruitelda posted:

Yep. It'll be awesome once you strip it out and put something in there that actually makes power. You know, like a modern turbocharged 4 cylinder.

:mad: Going from a V12 to an R4 in such a car would be heresy. Isn't the whole point of an old super-luxury car like that the beefy V12 or V8 engine, no matter how un-economical and AI it is? The 263 or 295 hp it should have according to Wikipedia isn't exactly something you can get cheaply out of a 4-cylinder.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Moruitelda posted:

Yes because I like twisting the motor to 3 or 4K rpm just to get my luxobarge moving. Big cars like that need big grunty motors with big torque way down low.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I was both being facetious and making fun of how little power that engine makes. A high output V6 or a modern V8 would be fine. :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ACID POLICE posted:

For $500 it is worth buying and taking to BMW Owners Club days.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Moruitelda posted:

I was both being facetious and making fun of how little power that engine makes. A high output V6 or a modern V8 would be fine. :(

I'm now having thoughts about getting it and doing an LSx swap :flashfap: Of course, then I'd need a donor LSx car and a conversion kit, plus lots of time / space to do it. Which is just not realistic right now. If I ever get my house with big huge garage / barn and no neighbors to bitch about everything, however... :sigh:

The guy hasn't responded to my email anyways, which is probably a good thing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So what do you do about climate control, lights, suspension, things like that, without changing (the positive aspects of) the character of the car?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

So what do you do about climate control, lights, suspension, things like that, without changing (the positive aspects of) the character of the car?

All of these things should be relatively unchanged - engine, ECM, and other associated electronics should operate pretty much independently of the body control stuff. I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that the LSx ECU has a link to the transmission computer that must be functional in order for things to work right (which may be a problem in a swap like this). I doubt the car's existing electronics are sophisticated enough to have something like this. Not sure if it would be possible to swap in a GM transmission (and associated electronics) as well so as to preserve the link, or run an LS motor independent of the transmission, etc. I will admit that I haven't researched any of this at all. I'm almost sure an SBC conversion kit is still produced for these cars, not so sure about an LSx kit.

Assuming the motor could be made to work, the only other thing you listed that may be a problem would be the suspension - not sure of the exact weight diff between the cast iron (?) V12 and the aluminum LS motor, although I bet I know which one is a fuckton heavier. The front springs at least would almost certainly have to be swapped out, or the front of the car would sit like a 4x4 and look retarded. I bet the lighter LS motor would improve the balance too. Not that you'd notice all that much in a car like that, but still.

I think it would be a fun and worthwhile long-term project at least v:shobon:v

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

ACID POLICE posted:

This makes me sad. 5-speed Accord wagons are very rare.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Black88GTA posted:

All of these things should be relatively unchanged - engine, ECM, and other associated electronics should operate pretty much independently of the body control stuff.
That isn't what I mean. I mean aren't you going to have to replace those, too, if you're looking for reliability?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You Am I posted:

It looks like he's being a pseudo-scammer with the price in the title, and actually wanting $2995 like it says in the text of the ad.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

You Am I posted:

A 1994 Honda Accord wagon in good condition is worth the $3000 by itself.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

trouser chili posted:

not entirely sure the car in the ad counts as "good condition" though.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

That isn't what I mean. I mean aren't you going to have to replace those, too, if you're looking for reliability?

As far as I know, most of the reliability horror stories about those arise from the V12 and associated electronics. Any other things I'd get after as the need arose. I wouldn't go preemptively rewiring a ton of stuff just because, although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Not too much can be done to replace / upgrade things integral to the vehicle itself like the climate control, window regulators, etc. One good thing is that (I think) the car is old enough to not have a ton of body control computers and other failure prone electronics in it.

As long as it runs reliably, the other stuff could be taken care of as needed.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

trouser chili posted:

I don't think I've seen one that was in good condition in the last ten years. In fact, 90% of them have been riced out somehow. Usually with a neon paintjob too.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Poing posted:

I don't think I've seen one that was in good condition in the last ten years. In fact, 90% of them have been riced out somehow. Usually with a neon paintjob too.

I've got one. Well, same generation. Mine is a 97 LX wagon. No rust, 150,000 miles, straight body, new tires, clean and runs great. Picked it up a couple of months ago for $3000 actually. It's an automatic though, not the five speed. I've also got a 97 LX sedan. It's got nearly 50,000 less miles, but is actually a bit more tired than the wagon.

As for the one in the thread, I'd buy provided the body was straight and it was clean with good tires. Then I'd rip that lovely side skirt off and the white window covers, and paint the hood white to match the car. Then maybe look into a set of five-spoke wheels powder-coated white to match the body. I think it would look pretty good.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 14, 2010

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Esprit-S2-1978-/190394332680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c5462f608#ht_500wt_924

All this rust could be yours. But it runs ok and he's bought a nice new set of blingin' brake callipers and pads for ya.

And oh poo poo... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/talbot-sunbeam-lotus-3-door-hatchback-/280504665381?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item414f618525#ht_4962wt_1070

Someone must NEED a Lotus Sunbeam.

e: Lotus window shopping is pretty great in the UK.

Rogz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2010

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/1740647604.html

quote:

i have 85 corvette with a tci performance chip new water pump, harmonic balancer, good rubber, new starter, doesnt leak or use any fluids, has a 1200watt sony system with a 10in dvd player mounted inside. the reason its priced a little low is the paint jobs gross i think but if a guy could get it painted hed have a very nice car on his hands. give me a call 541 999 5132

What the gently caress? Who mounts a DVD player in a god drat Corvette?

...Do people actually watch loving DVDs while they're driving?! :psyduck:

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What the gently caress? Who mounts a DVD player in a god drat Corvette?

...Do people actually watch loving DVDs while they're driving?! :psyduck:

Babysitter when getting your game on in the bar.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, this is rich, there are apparently other details from a previous listing that he decided to omit:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/1738314463.html

quote:

i have an 85 corvette with 98tho original miles, new water pump hormonic balancer heater valve and starter. it also has a tci performance chip and is very very fast. the paint job is a little ruff as u can see in pics but it runs great. automatic. hard top comes off with a couple screws. the dash cluster went out about a month ago and i found a replacement on e bay for 90 bucks and installs with 4 screws and a plug in the back. doesnt use any fluids or leak. has a huge system 1200 watt amp,jvc cd player 2 jl auido subs in fitted power wedge box and a 10in dvdplayer/monitor with un opened remote. give me a call . 541 999 5132

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I can't claim to know much about how the Corvette is built, but on my car (Audi A4) the dash cluster is all digital and only connected to the rest of the car through a couple of wire bundles. It'd take about 10 minutes to replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

el topo posted:

I can't claim to know much about how the Corvette is built
Neither can the average GM employee, that's the problem.