Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Mustang posted:

I just finished Revelation Space and Chasm City in about 4 days and I'm about to start on Redemption Ark. This series is much better than I thought it would be and I can't believe I hadn't heard about them until the past year. Are the rest of the books as good as the first 2? Which one comes in second to Chasm City? I keep hearing that it's the best one in the series.

Revelation Space, Chasm City, and Redemption Ark are all good. I hated Absolution Gap, it was really boring and felt like a completely different style of book than the other three. He came out with another one in 06-07 called The Prefect that was part of the revelation space series but I didn't pick it up because of how bad I thought Absolution Gap was.

I've also read a couple of his other books and short stories, my favorite being Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days. His last couple of books haven't really grabbed me, I tried reading both House of Suns and Terminal World and couldn't get into either of them.

I just started The Prestige and am digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Earwicker posted:

These look really good!

I'm 100 pages into Volume 1 and it's pretty amazing so far. Probably not the best Marias introduction as the plot is very slow, the first 20 or so pages are thoughts on the dangers of telling stories when they become truth. It's amazing writing but takes some getting used to. He likes commas... a lot:

quote:

. . . a night or day when the person talking talked as if there were no future beyond that night or that day and as if their loose tongue would die with them, not knowing that there is always more to come, that there is always a little more, one minute, the spear, one second, fever, another second, sleep and dreams–speak, fever, my pain, words, sleep and dreams–and then, of course, there is interminable time that does not even pause or slow its pace after our final end, but continues to make additions and to speak, to murmur, to ask questions and to tell tales, even though we can no longer hear and have fallen silent.

Buck Lodestar
Jul 19, 2007

I'm about 50 pages into Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer, Kahn's autobiographical account of growing up in Brooklyn and then becoming the beat writer for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the early 1950's (Jackie Robinson era). It's a book that I've been meaning to read for years and so far it's delivering. The quality of the writing is excellent and evocative, plus it's about baseball!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just bought a paper book for the first time in ages (Beginning Theory), but I'm going to put it behind Shibumi by Trevanian, which I have been meaning to read for forever.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

the new Palahniuk book came out today "TELL ALL".

I'm about 50 pages in or so. It takes a little bit to get into the swing of things. It's another one of those books where he plays around with format and style a bit, but so far so good.

It's pretty much Chuck's take on Sunset Boulevard or something

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ballsworthy posted:

I'm about 100 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire and I'm already sick of the phrase "sex mafia". I enjoyed the first one and I expect I'll enjoy this one, but the author really does go on about irrelevant details sometimes. Hooray, a list of all the things the protagonist purchased to furnish her new apartment, the brand of dining room table she chose will certainly be important later in the book.
Admit it, you're just nostalgic for the first book's two page description of her new Mac laptop

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Syrinxx posted:

Admit it, you're just nostalgic for the first book's two page description of her new Mac laptop

It's true and I would also like to hear more about the software she uses and how many frozen pizzas she purchased this week sex mafia.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just starting off on The Revolution Betrayed by Trotsky and The Guns of August by Tuchman. So far, The Revolution Betrayed has been a good read, though the analytical/prescriptive points are driven by a significant amount of condensed data, leaving the reader wondering how those outside of the Left Opposition would respond to Trotsky's characterizations. More reading to come on that front, I suppose. More importantly, while it's obviously driven by Trotsky's own perspective, it is a pretty remarkable window into the events of the early Soviet Union.

The Guns of August has been living up to its reputation as a very lucid, readable piece. Tuchman has thus far driven the narrative with character portraits rather than focusing on facts and figures, the order of battle, or like matters, though she conveys those very clearly, including (to this point) the early Schlieffen plan and its modifications.

Very much looking forward to the balance of both books.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

about to finish up Delillo's libra which i started off not liking so much, then all of a sudden i was awash in momentum and excellent prose, with some lucidity thrown in for good measure making for a fun historical fiction. Not a genre i usually enjoy and not a voice I'm guessing I'd find in it too often. I think Confederacy of Dunces will be next.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Mustang posted:

I'd say stick with it, it's an awesome series. Are you any good at skimming? If I wasn't a good skimmer there's no way I would have ever gotten through the first book. Especially with his 2 page descriptions of the streets of London. I'd say at least read up to The King of the Vagabonds and see if you want to keep reading it. Jack Shaftoes parts are always awesome. Daniel Waterhouse's story will eventually get pretty interesting especially towards the middle and end.

Decius posted:

As Mustang said, stick with it at least until the Jack Shaftoe parts. Daniel Waterhouse's story makes much more sense and is much more enjoyable once you've finished Quicksilver, which makes it a very odd choice to put at the start of the series.

Ok, am about page 300, not a mention of Jack Shaftoe yet, but the storyline seems to have oddly matured and become much more enjoyable and involved. Even though, oddly enough, not a bit has changed with the writing style, etc. Anyhow, glad I didn't put it down and am beginning to get annoyed at having to stop and go to bed.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

On a Japanese fiction binge - just finished 'Spring Snow' by Yukio Mishima, and in the middle of 'The Makioka Sisters' by Junichiro Tanizaki. I'm really enjoying 'Sisters'; at the least it's a light break from the wonderful but extremely dark and tragic Spring Snow.

I think 'I am a Cat' by Soseki Natsume is next - unless anyone has any good suggestions?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

meche posted:

On a Japanese fiction binge - just finished 'Spring Snow' by Yukio Mishima, and in the middle of 'The Makioka Sisters' by Junichiro Tanizaki. I'm really enjoying 'Sisters'; at the least it's a light break from the wonderful but extremely dark and tragic Spring Snow.

I think 'I am a Cat' by Soseki Natsume is next - unless anyone has any good suggestions?

Go to the extreme opposite of the spectrum a read the Edo period classic The Life of an Amorous Woman by Ihara Saikaku. One of my favorite reads when I was getting my undergrad in Japanese history (I focused on the Edo period).

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I bought Ian McEwan's Amsterdam today because it was $3 at a used bookstore and I'm trying to read more modern novels, which at this point mostly means I buy stuff that says "Booker Prize Winner" on it.

I won't get to it for a while but I flipped through the first few pages and McEwan seems like a drabber, less word-enamored Martin Amis.

\/\/Cool. I've read 6 pages of one of his books so I'm not too committed to my opinion yet.\/\/

Facial Fracture fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 7, 2010

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Facial Fracture posted:

I bought Ian McEwan's Amsterdam today because it was $3 at a used bookstore and I'm trying to read more modern novels, which at this point mostly means I buy stuff that says "Booker Prize Winner" on it.

I won't get to it for a while but I flipped through the first few pages and McEwan seems like a drabber, less word-enamored Martin Amis.

McEwan really cool, but he's def trying to bring back a mid-Victorian era novelistic approach, just with modern themes.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Hedrigall posted:

Bought the Chronicles of Narnia online. I'm going to do a completely secular reading of it. Aslan? Just a magic lion

Good luck with that because I don't think its possible. I couldn't make it past The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe because such rampant religious zeal doesn't do it for me.

juliuspringle posted:

Today I picked up The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

After that you have to read On The Road, if you haven't already.

Myself, I've just started the second Zelazny Amber Chronicles book. I was just reading about how he influenced Neil Gaiman, as if it wasn't obvious, except Zelazny shits all over Gaiman. It's a shame he seems to be kind of forgotten about.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Good luck with that because I don't think its possible. I couldn't make it past The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe because such rampant religious zeal doesn't do it for me.

After that you have to read On The Road, if you haven't already.

Myself, I've just started the second Zelazny Amber Chronicles book. I was just reading about how he influenced Neil Gaiman, as if it wasn't obvious, except Zelazny shits all over Gaiman. It's a shame he seems to be kind of forgotten about.

I get two free books each week from the used bookstore I volunteer at for two hours each monday so I haven't went to a real bookstore in awhile but On The Road is on my list of books to get if a copy ever comes in at "work".

Shizmo
Feb 2, 2010

JUICED TO THE GILLS
Gahh, it's been far too long... right, well I'm about to attack Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses; we'll see how it goes: I've heard very mixed reviews. And although they're books for my classes, Nietzsche's Jenseits von Gut und Boese and Linie 1 by Volker Ludwig. :eng101:

AshleighM
Oct 5, 2008

About halfway through The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. Really, really enjoying it so far - the humour is kind of weird, but it's written incredibly well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My last 2 orders from Amazon (I also got the Twin Peaks Gold Box Edition):

Crooked Little Vein: A Novel (P.S.) by Warren Ellis (I like his comics but I have no idea if I will like this. That said it was super cheap.).

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge (watching the Pacific made me get this).

The Ballad of Trenchmouth Taggart: A Novel by Glenn Taylor (read about his new novel so I went for the cheaper older novel)

All the Whiskey in Heaven: Selected Poems by Charles Bernstein (it was that time of year for a new book of poems)

Invincible (Book 1): Family Matters (v. 1) by Robert Kirkman & Cory Walker (graphic novel)

The Boys Vol. 1: The Name of the Game (v. 1) by Garth Ennis & Darick Robertson (graphic novel)

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (about time I got it)

Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

I am about 200 pages into Blood Meridian. I wanted to quit once or twice, but I have hit my stride with it now. That said to be honest I liked All the Pretty Horses better so far. I wanted to read The Brothers Karmazov next but I might read something pulpy and fast next.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Books I've ordered from the Book Depository in the last few weeks:

Kraken by China Mieville because it's the latest book by my very favourite author :3:
Desolation Road and Ares Express by Ian McDonald, because I keep seeing good reviews for them lately.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling, because I'm up to it again and the last two copies I owned are both missing.
Maps and Legends by Michael Chabon, because I've recently just discovered him and these essays look very interesting.
Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin, which I've read, but I don't own yet and I want to lend it to a friend.
Life on Air by Sir David Attenborough, because I'm on a biology/autobiography kick at the moment
Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey, because see above.
China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F McHugh, because it was recommended as a good LGBT-themed sci-fi novel.
Rent by Jonathan Larson, the libretto of my new favourite musical :h:
Lonely Planet: Mediterraean Europe because I'm planning a trip to Italy, Greece and Turkey for January next year.
How to Build a Dinosaur by Jack Horner, because it tells you how to do Jurassic Park!

gently caress, I think I should give my credit card a break.

I just started reading the third book in Maupin's series, Further Tales of the City. And I'm also about halfway through Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody. I like the setting and the characters, but her writing style is pretty atrocious. I hope the subsequent books get better.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 11, 2010

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I'm re-reading William Gibson's Neuromancer books,
re-reading Down With Skool by Geoffrey Willans (illustrated by Ronald Searle),
re-reading The Papers of Samuel Marchbanks by Robertson Davies,
and started reading Great Feuds in Science: Ten of the liveliest disputes ever by Hal Hellman.

(I do a lot of re-reading.)

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Your Movie Sucks by Roger Ebert
With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge
Olive Thomas: The Life and Death of a Silent Film Beauty by Michelle Vogel

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Just started reading The Once and Future King by TH White. God drat is this a good book. It has the magic of the Hobbit mixed with the timeless legend of King Arthur. I haven't felt like this since I read the Lord of the Rings the first time when I was 15.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I won a Kindle in my university's library quality survey incentive raffle, and I loves it, loves it so. Books I'm getting into:

Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow, all about randomness and how it affects our lives.
Harry Potter series because it's been far too long since I've read them, and they make me get warm fuzzies for my youth.
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, about snap decisions.
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy on recommendation of my father. I linked my Kindle to my dad's account, and as a result I have access to all of his purchased books. He thought I might like this, and for a technothriller, it's not bad.
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, which I know absolutely nothing about but was another raving recommendation from my father, who said it was one of the best books he's ever read.
The Stranger by Albert Camus, a perennial favorite of mine.
Game Change by Mark Halperin because I am a tremendous politics nerd.

Hm. I may go post to the recommendation thread to get some new ideas; so many books, so little time!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Teddybear posted:

I won a Kindle in my university's library quality survey incentive raffle, and I loves it, loves it so. Books I'm getting into:

Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow, all about randomness and how it affects our lives.
Harry Potter series because it's been far too long since I've read them, and they make me get warm fuzzies for my youth.
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, about snap decisions.
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy on recommendation of my father. I linked my Kindle to my dad's account, and as a result I have access to all of his purchased books. He thought I might like this, and for a technothriller, it's not bad.
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, which I know absolutely nothing about but was another raving recommendation from my father, who said it was one of the best books he's ever read.
The Stranger by Albert Camus, a perennial favorite of mine.
Game Change by Mark Halperin because I am a tremendous politics nerd.

Hm. I may go post to the recommendation thread to get some new ideas; so many books, so little time!

Gasp Liam, you read Harry Potter? You get cuter by the day :3:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
No Country for Old Men by Cormac MacCarthy

I´m fifty pages in and I just can´t get into it. And yes, I loved the Road and Blood Meridian.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:
The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science. This book has now been recommended to me by 3 people.

drat interesting so far, nice writing style. I'm having to re-evaluate all the neuroscience I never knew. I'd recommend it already to anyone interested in any facet of cognitive science.

A Clever Pun
Mar 27, 2010
I've just started reading Dune. I know. I'm pretty much a failed nerd.
I also ordered the second and third Draka books, by S.M. Stirling. I'm currently going through an AltHis phase, and they are apparently some of the best in the market. And yet, utterly absent from Australian libraries.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hedrigall posted:

Gasp Liam, you read Harry Potter? You get cuter by the day :3:

Well, I try :blush:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

A Clever Pun posted:

I've just started reading Dune. I know. I'm pretty much a failed nerd.

Pfft, I've never even read it.

Just got Catch-22 today, and it's pretty good from what I've read so far. Yossarian gives me the vibe of a grown-up Holden Caulfield who blows things up for a living. I almost bought War and Peace as a giant read for the summer, but decided against it at the last minute.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

My mum was throwing away all her books and so I got to salvage some really neat titles, including an entire collection of illustrated Dickens. Hurrah, I can finally get rid of my tatty mismatched collection. Anyway, I've just started reading this...

I have never heard of this book or the author. I've read a lot of books written in the 19th century, but only a few books by modern writers set in the 19th century. So far I'm really enjoying it. It's very filthy. I don't mean the sex, for there is lots of it so far, but the entire atmosphere of the book is grubby. Everything is corrupt and spoiled and the characters are delightfully strange.

I have no idea where the story is going, but I'm so invested in it I hope it doesn't go on to dissapoint.

Argenterie
Nov 9, 2009

:what:

robomechatronsaurus posted:

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science. This book has now been recommended to me by 3 people.

drat interesting so far, nice writing style. I'm having to re-evaluate all the neuroscience I never knew. I'd recommend it already to anyone interested in any facet of cognitive science.

I'm halfway through this currently also (but I've been halfway through for about four months), it is an amazing book. I'm one year away from being a psychiatrist and I think it's changed my whole outlook on what can, and can't, be done about some mental illnesses.

If you like it, I also recommend The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. I like neuropsychiatric patient anecdotes from other doctors!

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I'm still reading the same thing I was last time I posted here but I just took an Intro to Ancient Greek out from the library. I thought it would take weeks until I could read words in the old alphabet but it took like 20 minutes. I'm sure it's all just going to be hell from here though.

Having access to a university's library is wonderful and terrible. I want to read everything and I'm afraid that's going to lead me to finish nothing.

Dr Scoofles posted:

I borrowed this from my mum a few years ago but didn't finish it. I found it dull and self-consciously period-piecey; even (or especially) the length seemed more a concession to Victorianism or whatever than something fitting the story's needs. But who knows? Maybe it got really good somewhere past the halfway point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Facial Fracture posted:

I'm still reading the same thing I was last time I posted here but I just took an Intro to Ancient Greek out from the library. I thought it would take weeks until I could read words in the old alphabet but it took like 20 minutes. I'm sure it's all just going to be hell from here though.

Ancient Greek has like 12 different tenses. Enjoy!

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Ancient Greek has like 12 different tenses. Enjoy!

Yeah, I didn't mean that to come off like, "Oh, I can already read some words so this will be a breeze." I give myself maybe a week before I start banging my head against my desk in frustration.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Just got in:

The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert Paxton
The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Gould

I am excited about the Anatomy of Fascism because I have been meaning to read it for a while and the Mismeasure of Man was an impulse buy due to Amazon's "people who bought this also bought these things" widget.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Trouble Is My Business, a collection of four of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe short stories/novellas: the titular story, 'Finger Man', 'Goldfish', and 'Red Wind'. I'm a huge Marlowe fan, and I've never read these shorter stories before.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just started The Cider House Rules

So far it looks to be shaping out to be a great book. Haven't seen the movie and only know the littlest bit about the plot so it's all new to me.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I just bought a hardcover copy of War and Peace, but recently started Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz - it is a pure joy to read.

However, my local book club's selection this month is Six Memos for the Next Millenium by Italo Calvino, and since my girlfriend is complaining about all the books I'm buying even though I haven't read the book she gave me, I will soon start Homer's Odyssey so that I can fully appreciate her present - James Joyce's Ulysses.

Phewf. Thank god I'm going to a cottage this weekend, gotta knock at least one of these off the list :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_of_corn
Oct 21, 2008
I just started reading the first volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War: A narrative

im about 100 pages in and it really is a good read but i'm a little daunted by the task of reading all three volumes.

• Locked thread