Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Summit was actually really easy/fun to knit- you memorize the pattern pretty quickly, so it goes by fast too.

I LOVED the Tulare. I think I annoyed my boyfriend by constantly saying "oooh, this is so much nicer to knit with than my normal icky acrylics!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Okay I need some help with figuring out a pattern for baby socks. I'm up to knitting the heel flap and it says :

knit 10 st, turn work and work on two needles only.
S1, purl 19, turn... so where are the next 9 stitches supposed to come from? Am I supposed to make them, keep knitting in the round (and therefore not working on two needles) or use magic? :cry:

The pattern is here : http://hettysblog-esther.blogspot.com/2008/09/pattern-for-baby-socks.html

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

You're knitting in the round, so the s1 and first 9 purls are the first 10 stitches you knit in that round, and the 10 other purls are the last 10 stitches from the previous round.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
I want to make this Greek Key Lace Scarf, and I was knitting up the swatch pattern and I can't figure out what this one stitch means:
3-3 Twist: Slip 1, Slip 2 as if to Knit 2 together, then insert the left needle from left to right into the 3 stitches just slipped and knit 3 together, yarn over, knit 3 together into the 3 stitches before dropping them from the needle.

What I don't understand is the last part where it says knit 3 together into the 3 stitches before dropping them from the needle. Am I supposed to knit 3 together and then do it again in the back of the stitches before dropping them?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

ElScorcho posted:

I want to make this Greek Key Lace Scarf, and I was knitting up the swatch pattern and I can't figure out what this one stitch means:
3-3 Twist: Slip 1, Slip 2 as if to Knit 2 together, then insert the left needle from left to right into the 3 stitches just slipped and knit 3 together, yarn over, knit 3 together into the 3 stitches before dropping them from the needle.

What I don't understand is the last part where it says knit 3 together into the 3 stitches before dropping them from the needle. Am I supposed to knit 3 together and then do it again in the back of the stitches before dropping them?

That's definitely what it sounds like to me. So three stitches are technically decreased but you're also adding a YO and another stitch by knitting into the back again. I assume this comes at a place where the lace sort of forms a point or something?

Also I've seen that scarf before and was never terrifically impressed (nothing wrong with it but the geometric stuff isn't my personal style) until I clicked your link and realized it's knitted on the bias. Now I'm impressed!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Looking at the image of the stitch in that pattern, you knit 3 together but don't slide them off your needle, then do a yo, then knit the same 3 stitches together again and slide them off.

Look like a really nice pattern, by the way, let us know how you go with it :)

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
Thanks for the help you guys! Yeah, that's exactly what you're supposed to do, it's just a bitch to keep the stitch on the needle before I do the second knit 3 together. I'm using Paton's Silk Bamboo yarn for it, and I went out and bought some bamboo needles because the yarn kept slipping off my metal ones, and oh my god, I don't know how I've lived without these needles until now. It's so much easier knowing that I don't have to worry as much about my yarn slipping off and undoing all of my hard work.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Fffffffff there was a HUGE pile of discount yarn at Michaels yesterday but by the time I got back someone had bought ALL of the chunky yarn. Mom was going to make a blanket for me with that :smith:

But why was there so much discount yarn?

Because a new Lion Brand yarn came out today! Feast your eyes on their brand new yarn, Amazing!

Click here for the full 1280x928 image.

(not my pic)

Feeling a little deja vu looking at that? You should. Lion Brand is trying to make their own noro. It's the same type of color patterns and even rolled into a skein the exact same way. The big difference is instead of wool/silk it's wool/acrylic. Oh, and they made it a little fuzzier to make it look softer.

The worst part is they couldn't even bother to fix noro's biggest flaw: the feel. Instead of the rough texture of noro it's "Grandma Sweater" itchy. I have real sensitive skin and I can't even imagine what this would feel like around my neck. :barf:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wandering Knitter posted:

Click here for the full 1280x928 image.

(not my pic)

Feeling a little deja vu looking at that? You should. Lion Brand is trying to make their own noro. It's the same type of color patterns and even rolled into a skein the exact same way. The big difference is instead of wool/silk it's wool/acrylic. Oh, and they made it a little fuzzier to make it look softer.

The worst part is they couldn't even bother to fix noro's biggest flaw: the feel. Instead of the rough texture of noro it's "Grandma Sweater" itchy. I have real sensitive skin and I can't even imagine what this would feel like around my neck. :barf:

Loads of brands have started doing this. Sirdar do one called Escape where the blue colourway is very very Noro, but at least it's fairly soft.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Halfway through a hat using the groundflower pattern available on Ravelry. I love that pattern, so easy to knit and really quick. I'm running out of ideas for things to knit now though. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

JonBent0000 posted:

Halfway through a hat using the groundflower pattern available on Ravelry. I love that pattern, so easy to knit and really quick. I'm running out of ideas for things to knit now though. :(

You can do what I do and get started on Christmas presents seven months early! :v:

Oh wait I mean :suicide:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

madlilnerd posted:

Loads of brands have started doing this. Sirdar do one called Escape where the blue colourway is very very Noro, but at least it's fairly soft.

Plymouth Kudo and Boku are known in my knitting circle as "fake Noro" and have been for some time. But goddamn, the Mushishi is to DIE for. Or at least the colors, a girl I know made a February Lady out of it and turns out it's itchy as gently caress.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

You can do what I do and get started on Christmas presents seven months early! :v:

Oh wait I mean :suicide:

I think I might start my own version of this; http://www.alandart.co.uk/products/product/53 only less creepy 70s. That or I could have a go at the 12 days of Christmas.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

JonBent0000 posted:

I think I might start my own version of this; http://www.alandart.co.uk/products/product/53 only less creepy 70s. That or I could have a go at the 12 days of Christmas.

I want to do this so bad, but being Alan Dart it'll probably be on size 1 or 2 needles and oh god my hands :gonk:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I know, right?

I haven't looked at the site for a while (can't get it to load here at work) but I wonder if they'll ever put up the beatrix potter patterns again. I'm obsessed with peter rabbit and benjamin bunny. No, really.

But at the same time, I hope they never do for the reason wandering knitter just related. Just out of curiosity: who actually owns size 1 or 2 DPNS? I own straight needles, sure, but the thought of size 2 DPNs actually makes me panic a little.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ozma posted:

I know, right?

I haven't looked at the site for a while (can't get it to load here at work) but I wonder if they'll ever put up the beatrix potter patterns again. I'm obsessed with peter rabbit and benjamin bunny. No, really.

But at the same time, I hope they never do for the reason wandering knitter just related. Just out of curiosity: who actually owns size 1 or 2 DPNS? I own straight needles, sure, but the thought of size 2 DPNs actually makes me panic a little.

I have several sets of 2s and at least one set of 1s but the needles I've been using all year are zeros.

After a while everything else seems really huge.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Ozma posted:

I know, right?

I've got four sets of 1s and 1.5s, two sets of 2, two sets of 0s. I hate magic loop for socks. Like Bob Shadycharacter said, after a while everything else is huge.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Ozma posted:

I know, right?

A friend of mine bought me two sets of size 1s for me as a graduation/going away present. I still haven't gotten around to making anything with them, sadly. Maybe soon I'll make some fancy socks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I bought a magazine book (it was a book, but from the magazine Simply Knitting) of Alan Dart's stuff last year, and they mentioned in it that you can use chunky wool and larger needles to make larger versions of the simple toys. They had photographs of larger versions of the farmyard animals, and they looked really good!

Last year for Christmas, my mum made both my brother an I a little Alan Dart Scandinavian knome to put in our stockings. Totally cute and very festive :3 I keep my keys near mine at the bottom of the stairs. She's currently working on Blossom the pink elephant.

At some point in the future, I'd like to attempt his mermaid from the book, but I tend to suck at knitting toys so I don't know how well I'd do. His patterns can be very complex.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Ozma posted:

I've got a set of 000 needles that I bought when I was a relatively newer knitter and didn't think it'd be that much harder to work with tiny needles. I was kinda dumb as a newer knitter.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm relieved to hear that small needles are harder to work with. I'm still struggling with my first circular knitting, using size 3 DPNs and 6 caston stitches.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm relieved to hear that small needles are harder to work with. I'm still struggling with my first circular knitting, using size 3 DPNs and 6 caston stitches.

I think it's a sort of learning curve, but smaller isn't really that much harder, really. It's just smaller! It might depend on how you hold your yarn and needles which I only recently realized has a huge effect on things.

I never did get why some people hate circs until I saw how some people hold their needles and suddenly it made sense to me.

You're probably have more trouble from it being your first circular knitting. :) Now that's a learning curve!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

You guys are so much more hardcore than I.

Smaller isn't harder in terms of skill, but it's harder on my hands. I'm just not suited for delicate work, period.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I bought a magazine book (it was a book, but from the magazine Simply Knitting) of Alan Dart's stuff last year, and they mentioned in it that you can use chunky wool and larger needles to make larger versions of the simple toys. They had photographs of larger versions of the farmyard animals, and they looked really good!

I have that same book! :3: I love to drool over the patterns and then realize I have neither the time nor patience to make any of them. It's a miracle I can finish Christmas/Birthday gifts.

Though the ornaments might still be cute even if I scale them up with larger needles/chunkier yarn. Hmm.

Also working with needles smaller than 5's cramp my hands up something terrible. I also own size 17 dpns and love them dearly. Maybe it's just my hands.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ozma posted:

You guys are so much more hardcore than I.

Smaller isn't harder in terms of skill, but it's harder on my hands. I'm just not suited for delicate work, period.

Once as a very bored child, inspired by a Dilbert cartoon where Dogbert knits a jumper using cocktail sticks and dental floss, I tried knitting a scarf for barbie using dressmakers pearl-head pins and thread. Needless to say, I gave up after about 3 rows when the blood congealing on the work made it hard to see what I was doing.

There's definitely a golden zone for knitting needles. I can't stand anything smaller than 3mm, but at the same time I found it a struggle to use 9mm Brittanys. They were just so heavy!

I have that same book! I love to drool over the patterns and then realize I have neither the time nor patience to make any of them. It's a miracle I can finish Christmas/Birthday gifts

Yeah, it's a fun book to look at, but I know I'll never be able to make any of the good looking things. I tried the bear from the Noah's ark pattern and it came out super deformed. I'll just stick to my crazy dreams of knitting that mermaid life size...

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Question for the knitgoons. I've been thinking of finally buying a yarn winder. Mainly because I prefer cakes to pulling out half the skein. Plus I'm going to do something with Fisherman's, and I'd rather it not flop around on the floor.

Anyway, would it be easy enough to rig something up like this myself? All it really is is just the spindle, tilted, that spins around and the guide arm, right? I'd really rather put something together than spend ~$20 to get one.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Use a chair! If you turn it upside down, you can put the skein around the legs and wind it yourself.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fooley posted:

Question for the knitgoons. I've been thinking of finally buying a yarn winder. Mainly because I prefer cakes to pulling out half the skein. Plus I'm going to do something with Fisherman's, and I'd rather it not flop around on the floor.

Anyway, would it be easy enough to rig something up like this myself? All it really is is just the spindle, tilted, that spins around and the guide arm, right? I'd really rather put something together than spend ~$20 to get one.

Well, if you want to go the REALLY poor man's way, which is what I did before getting my yarn winder--put your skein on the back of a swivel/executive chair, and you don't have to make anything. Since the chair spins around already, just pull on the yarn and spin the chair around. The smaller the chair, the better, since with a big chair and fine yarn you might break the yarn accidentally what with the chair's weight.

Honestly though? Pony up the cash and buy a yarn winder. It's SO much more convenient. There's also an advantage that I didn't realize when I was using the chair--because it's adjustable, no matter what the circumference of the skein it can hold it really tight. With the chair, the further I got winding the skein the looser it got and it ended up a big mess on the floor a few times.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Fooley posted:

I splurged on one of the nice wooden swifts, and a sturdy ball winder as a graduation present for myself. Ran about $125 for both (*wince*), but after winding 1,250 yards of laceweight in less than half an hour, I declared it worth every single penny.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fooley posted:

I generally buy my yarn in a form that's ready to go (yet more proof I don't buy the posh stuff), but if I have to wind it myself for any reason, I use a moisturiser bottle as a nostepinne. I tape one end in place at the top and wind away. Takes a while, but makes neat cakes.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think if I HAD to have one of the other, I'd keep the swift. Much as I love the ballwinder, I can do that by hand. But goddamn I cannot keep the skein from getting all tangled to poo poo without that beautiful swift.

I got a swift and ballwinder for Christmas and spent the ENTIRE next day winding every skein of yarn I could get my hands on. It's so much fun.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know if it's true anymore, but I got a really nice wooden swift for $30 thanks to a 50% off coupon at Joanna Fabrics.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Their homepage lists the coupon (HPF142) is good until 5/22 for 50% off regular price of one item. They have 2 swifts for 70 or 80, and if I didn't just have to get 4 new tires I'd be jumping on that.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Beaded Crown Prince Shawl updated with more pictures!

Click here for Ravelry!

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

My first attempt at colour work. One of my friends is a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan so a custom made satchel should go down well.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Serenity Dove posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

My first attempt at colour work. One of my friends is a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan so a custom made satchel should go down well.
Looks fantastic. Is that intarsia?

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
That looks awesome. I attempted to make an intarsia Triforce hat for my brother for Christmas, but with not-so-good results. I didn't end up giving it to him because it looks like such crap. Next time I'll just try a duplicate stitch.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I actually just kept both colours live at the same time. So I would change a colour and just keep the thread there, if that makes sense? I'm not sure if that counts as intarsia. It means there's loads of strands at the back but since I'm backing it with fabric I didn't really think that would matter. The thought of having to weave loads of ends in was unbearable. I framed it with 10 stitches of garter on each side and the rest was stockinette. I just made sure I kept everything quite tight so the strands of wool wouldn't dangle off the back but not tight enough to scrunch everything up.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Serenity Dove posted:

I actually just kept both colours live at the same time. So I would change a colour and just keep the thread there, if that makes sense? I'm not sure if that counts as intarsia. It means there's loads of strands at the back but since I'm backing it with fabric I didn't really think that would matter. The thought of having to weave loads of ends in was unbearable. I framed it with 10 stitches of garter on each side and the rest was stockinette. I just made sure I kept everything quite tight so the strands of wool wouldn't dangle off the back but not tight enough to scrunch everything up.

You aren't doing intarsia then; you're doing stranded knitting. I find I prefer stranded to intarsia because there isn't a ton of ends to weave, too. I did one blanket with intarsia--never again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Happiness! I bought a spinning wheel today!

It's a Majacraft Pioneer. I've already spun as much in two hours as would have taken me three days to spin with the drop spindle. :dance: