Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ashenai posted:

That guy really reminds me of Dark Helmet for some reason. (I'm guessing it's the helmet.)
Yeah with a helmet like that we can half-expect a "I am your father!" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Yeah, dead wrong! :v:

I totally forgot I said half dragon. I rule!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

Nah, Elan's going to point out that the helmeted guy must be someone important, since he's wearing a helmet, at which point the guy will remove his helmet and show that he's nobody special.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, right, half-expect haha hehe hoho

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
General Tarquin! I should've expected to find you holding Malack's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought up here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That actually worked and I laughed. Not at the reveal but the perfect bard moment.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Spiderdrake posted:

That actually worked and I laughed. Not at the reveal but the perfect bard moment.

Agreeing with this. Didn't expect Elan's warlord father to be the same goofy idiot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

the same goofy idiot.

I don't know...he was willing to shove a party member out the window in a carefully executed gambit.

I'm willing to bet that this guy is every hero's worst nightmare: The evil overlord that is aware of genre-conventions.

As in, the guy who makes sure to make his air ducts too small to crawl through.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bobulus posted:

I don't know...he was willing to shove a party member out the window in a carefully executed gambit.

I'm willing to bet that this guy is every hero's worst nightmare: The evil overlord that is aware of genre-conventions.

Aka the guy who read this

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Calaveron posted:

Well, there goes my chances of sleeping tonight. Also, new favorite character.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Calaveron posted:

Quotes a User Friendly comic, didn't read.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

HKR posted:

Quotes a User Friendly comic, didn't read.

Actually, User Friendly quoted the list.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Myok posted:

Actually, User Friendly quoted the list.

Look the mere presence of user friendly is a pretty big deterrent.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Original Evil Overlord List

Quit whining, you pansies.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's not even a very good list. I swear there was a better one for RPG cliques, but I can't find it in a casual googling.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bobulus posted:

From what we've seen so far, he's pretty much Elan if he were evil. Abandoning one of his sons for the sole purpose of having a "Luke, I am your father" moment 20 years down the line is precisely the type of thing Elan would do if he were evil. He probably raised Nale to be a dick just so he'd be a proper evil twin, too.

Edit: Hell, he probably came up with the idea of the names being reversed in the first place.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 14, 2010

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Bobulus posted:

It's not even a very good list. I swear there was a better one for RPG cliques, but I can't find it in a casual googling.

This?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

oobey posted:

This?

Unless I'm just mixing these two lists in my head, that's not it. The one I was thinking of was a list of things to do as the final boss of an RPG to subvert all the types of tropes listed there.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
nvm

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

New strip:

Okay, i wasn't expecting the thermal detonator joke.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I like that lizardman.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'm finding Elan's dad to be a fascinating character. He's Lawful Evil, but solely for narrative purposes, it seems. He's all too happy at how Elan's turned out to be a good guy.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Rich has been nailing the humor in these last few strips.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
This has been really great lately. I agree that Elan's dad is pretty interesting, in that he does appear to be Evil purely to create a balance to his son(s). Also, he's a smarter Elan, which is just all around classy.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Tarquin continues to impress. Also, I think I've got it; Malack's the Emperor, Tarquin is Vader, the Empress is the Death Star. In the likelihood that this goes sour, I pity the one Belkar who will have to kill her utilizing the thermal exhaust port.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Even evil villains can love their families. He has exploited Elan's feelings for Haley to force a surrender, and presumably helped build an empire where slavery is so commonplace the slave drivers have unionized. I don't see any reason to discount his evilness just yet.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Zetetica posted:

Even evil villains can love their families. He has exploited Elan's feelings for Haley to force a surrender, and presumably helped build an empire where slavery is so commonplace the slave drivers have unionized. I don't see any reason to discount his evilness just yet.
I'm expecting some sort of falling-out once Elan realizes how evil his father is.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Nosy_G posted:

I'm expecting some sort of falling-out once Elan realizes how evil his father is.

As much as they know about literary conventions and tropes, I think a redemption arc ending in death would be more appropriate.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Elan will kill his Father. You heard it here first.

Or figured it out for yourself.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Mylan posted:

I'm finding Elan's dad to be a fascinating character. He's Lawful Evil, but solely for narrative purposes, it seems. He's all too happy at how Elan's turned out to be a good guy.

He also broke up his family and kept his sons ignorant of either for dramatic tension. He's not proud of his son for being a good person, he's proud of him for having a prominent role in the story.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cheshire Puss posted:

Elan will kill his Father. You heard it here first.

Or figured it out for yourself.

More like attempt to redeem him. How many Star Wars references do we need?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I like the fact that Elan was dead-on for once.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

LightWarden posted:

I like the fact that Elan was dead-on for once.

I just got the joke in the last few panels of that strip, and it's golden.

Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was if anyone could link the strip where Nale dies? I don't remember any such thing at all!

E: I just remembered that Nale never died, but actually just escaped Azure City. Sorry for the confusion.

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 18, 2010

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats because Nale never died.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
New strip:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
And Rich keeps on bringing it in the humor department! Also the panel with Nale and Tarquin fighting is pretty cool.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Thog looks so happy for someone getting bitten by a dragon.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lots of new strips lately.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I enjoy the fact that Nale gets his needlessly convoluted and circuitous plans from his barmaid mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Any idea what spell Malack was hitting Sabine with? Looks like an Unholy Smite, but that doesn't make much sense.