Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hockles posted:

Scotty 2 Hotty with the WORM

He said bad finishers, not the best finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Rock the People's Elbow.

Also, is the Big Show doing ok health wise? He's getting up there in years, and I know he has the same condition as Andre the Giant (I think). Did he have some surgery to correct the problems Andre had or is he going to wind up the same way?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

crankdatbatman posted:

Also, is the Big Show doing ok health wise? He's getting up there in years, and I know he has the same condition as Andre the Giant (I think). Did he have some surgery to correct the problems Andre had or is he going to wind up the same way?

Yeah he had surgery when he was a kid (I think?) that didn't exist until it was too late to do Andre any good. When Andre was Big Show's age he was already pretty much crippled.

Also yeah the people's elbow was kinda dumb (but in an entertaining way) but he also had the Rock Bottom which was OK.

edit: OK Andre was Big Show's age in 1984 so I dunno if his health had declined much at that point but still, Big Show is most likely on track to last a good long time.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 13, 2010

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
So, I guess in JJ Dillon's shoot interview, he said that Russo once tried to find out how much it would cost to bribe a fire marshal because he he wanted to burn the arena down on live television.

That cannot be true, can it?

Oh wait, Russo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thankfully it appears MVP is now using the Paydirt, which while kinda dumb is still a better move.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I always hated the Fame-asser but Mr. rear end never ever got over. He should have a finisher called "The Promo Cutter" that he could never pull off correctly.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Thankfully it appears MVP is now using the Paydirt, which while kinda dumb is still a better move.

Problem: It's the least creative finisher.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

People's Elbow was not a finisher. Like the five knuckle shuffle is not a finisher. And no bad finisher discussion can be complete without the 619.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Am I wrong to think the paydirt is exactly the same as getting the other guy to Rock Bottom you?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

bradzilla posted:

People's Elbow was not a finisher. Like the five knuckle shuffle is not a finisher. And no bad finisher discussion can be complete without the 619.

If he ever used it right before he pinned somebody than it's a finisher.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LightsGameraAction posted:

If he ever used it right before he pinned somebody than it's a finisher.

Actual pin or attempted?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

Actual pin or attempted?

No, there was a period of time where the Rock was using the People's Elbow as his big finisher. It was as weird as it sounds.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What's the best suplex?

I submit that it is William Regal's half Nelson exploder.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

What's the best suplex?

Superplex

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The RegalPlex- The weird hybrid of bridged belly to back and a fisherman's suplex. Danielson does it sometimes and Regal used to do it regularly.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Shawn Michael's old Teardrop Suplex finisher.

It just looked so elegant and so simple. There was no ellaborate setup required, he just had to get the guy's arm over his shoulder, and BAM! Out of almost nowhere, you could nail it on any guy, no matter how much he weighed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

projecthalaxy posted:

What's the best suplex?

Any type of suplex Tazz did was the best suplex.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
How quickly we forget the Samoan Spike

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

How quickly we forget the Samoan Spike

That's not the best suplex. :c00lbert:

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man

bradzilla posted:

It wasn't a finisher, he just used it to win matches against Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8, and win the WWF title from Triple H at Backlash 2000. You know, just 2 of the biggest matches in his entire career.

And by comparison, I've seen Cena win 1 match in his entire career with the Five Knuckle Shuffle, and it was against Orlando Jordan AFTER he hit the FU.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

projecthalaxy posted:

What's the best suplex?

The Perfect Plex :colbert:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Japanese Ocean Cyclone suplex.

Realtalk, Dragon suplex.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The A-Team Van posted:

The Perfect Plex :colbert:

If I remember right didn't he pull that off against The Giant once in WCW? That was sensational.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right didn't he pull that off against The Giant once in WCW? That was sensational.
Here you go.

The rope-assisted kip-up is almost as nuts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Here you go.

That's loving amazing, there was so much potential in WCW :(

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Jerusalem posted:

* Nice spot!
* Nice spot!
* NWO Ending
* OH MY, TONY! IT IS STING!
* Sting beats up 12 people

Where does the potential end, and the WCW begin?

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah, Big Show is doing much better than Andre was at his age. You can tell just by looking at pictures. Big Show looks like a relatively proportionate guy, but if you look at Andre, his face and hands are HUGE compared to the rest of him. Take a look at Khali if you want to see a current example. Then again, Khali is probably doing better than Andre too, even though his acro went unchecked so long, because he takes care of himself, working out and all, in a way that Andre never did. I'm willing to bet Andre in his prime could drink Big Show and Khali under the table at the same time, though.

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you

Graic posted:

It wasn't a finisher, he just used it to win matches against Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8, and win the WWF title from Triple H at Backlash 2000. You know, just 2 of the biggest matches in his entire career.

And by comparison, I've seen Cena win 1 match in his entire career with the Five Knuckle Shuffle, and it was against Orlando Jordan AFTER he hit the FU.

I always thought it was having a crack at Hulk Hogan's leg drop.

hulk up...Hulk Up...HULK UP! Belt him with a series of punches until they fall down, then drop a leg on their head.

Why this worked, I will never know. I guess Rocky just figured if a leg drop works...why not an elbow drop?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Brickhouse Betty posted:

I'm willing to bet Andre in his prime could drink Big Show and Khali under the table at the same time, though.

Interesting that you bring this up when talking about health.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Here you go.

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9YaqZFE70M.

Skip to 2:55

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Jerusalem posted:

So much potential for a gif of the Perfect plex AND the rope assisted kip up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The A-Team Van posted:

So much potential for a gif of the Perfect plex AND the rope assisted kip up.

Look in the gif thread you foolish fool!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

crankdatbatman posted:

Isn't the story with the people's elbow that a heel rock had an interview earlier in the night, where he bragged that he was going to debut the most electrifying, jaw-dropping awesome move you will ever see! Then he came out and did a stupid little run and a simple elbow drop.

The fans however, didn't get what was going on, and the place went banana.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bradzilla posted:

The People's Elbow ended matches all the time, so I don't really know what you mean here.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The Rock was kinda lovely in the ring anyway (sorry, "low impact"), so it doesn't really matter if he finished matches off with a standing elbow drop every once in a while.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

When I first saw the People's Elbow, I assumed it was a tongue-in-cheek move to be a bit of an insult to the opponent. The majority of times I remember seeing it, it was usually after a Rock Bottom anyway. I figured the Rock Bottom knocked the guy out and the People's Elbow was like kicking them when they were down.

Though as the years went on, I guess the Elbow was sometimes used alone in knocking people out.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Pneub posted:

The Rock was kinda lovely in the ring anyway (sorry, "low impact"), so it doesn't really matter if he finished matches off with a standing elbow drop every once in a while.

It's too bad he hurt his knee doing those shoulder breakers cause that move is really bad-rear end looking.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 14, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pneub posted:

Yes the Rock was "lovely" in that if you stopped and dispassionately looked at his style and execution and technical ability he wasn't very good. Nobody ever did that, though, because everyone was too busy being absolutely loving enthralled in every single little thing he did.

Similar to Hogan, one of the worst "wrestlers" ever but nobody gave a poo poo because he was so charismatic/entertaining and dragged the crowd along for the ride.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Jerusalem posted:

Yes the Rock was "lovely" in that if you stopped and dispassionately looked at his style and execution and technical ability he wasn't very good. Nobody ever did that, though, because everyone was too busy being absolutely loving enthralled in every single little thing he did.

Similar to Hogan, one of the worst "wrestlers" ever but nobody gave a poo poo because he was so charismatic/entertaining and dragged the crowd along for the ride.

I agree, Hogan was also awful at the wrestling part of his job.
I can only stand a match comprised entirely of bad-by-wrestling-standards looking punches for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pneub posted:

I agree, Hogan was also awful at the wrestling part of his job.
I can only stand a match comprised entirely of bad-by-wrestling-standards looking punches for so long.

Most wrestling fans agree, in Hogan's case it apparently took roughly 23 years for people to get tired of it. Rock got out well before that, happily :)